PDA

View Full Version : Rough Day Yesterday

Boerrancher
01-19-2009, 12:34 AM
It would seem that my 3 year old son, and reloading buddy, fell yesterday while playing out side and broke his neck. We spent most of the day at the local hospital and they then flew him to Children's Hospital in St Louis, and the wife and had to drive. We were there at Children's until 2 a.m. this morning. We were allowed to bring him home finally.

We/He was lucky. He fractured his C-1, and it was more of a stress fracture than a serious break. He will be in a hard plastic neck collar for a while, but the weakness and loss of use he had in his arms and legs was due to swelling of the soft tissue around the nerves putting pressure on them. Once the swelling went down late this morning he was up and moving around playing with his toys.

He doesn't like the collar much, but it is better than the alternatives. All in all he is a very lucky little boy. He had his poor mother and I scared to death for several hours. I have got to hand it to my wife she held up quite well. I feel sorry for her, as she has been through so much in the last 4 1/2 years. With me getting recalled back to the Army, deploying, taking care of 4 children and having the 5th one alone. Then I got wounded and spent 2 years in Army Hospitals, and still having to help me do many things I use to do.

Things were just starting to calm down a bit, and this gets dumped on her. She has been a strong woman, and I know I would have collapsed under the stain long ago if I was in her shoes. I ask that you all keep her in your payers, because I know every one has a breaking point, and I don't want to see her reach hers.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

crabo
01-19-2009, 12:36 AM
I'll pray for your whole family.

Frank46
01-19-2009, 12:37 AM
Joe, thank God the little guy is going to get better. My prayers for all of you. Regards,Frank

madcaster
01-19-2009, 12:40 AM
Prayers going up for you all!
Anything else we can do?

MT Gianni
01-19-2009, 12:43 AM
Prayers going up for you all!
Anything else we can do?

+2
Glad to hear that his is doing OK. A plastic collar is a lot better than a chair.

454PB
01-19-2009, 01:44 AM
What a scare!

Those little guys are tough, it's your wife that really needs the support.

GP100man
01-19-2009, 02:01 AM
i could`nt breath till i got 1/2 way thru your post !!!!

prayers to you & yours.

GP100man

Recluse
01-19-2009, 02:09 AM
Joe, we'll be praying for all of you, but especially your wife. Second toughest job in the world is being a cop's wife. First toughest is being a soldier's wife. You have an angel. So glad to hear your little boy will recover just fine.

I've been reading these boards going back to the old Shooters board. Simply put, there is not a finer bunch of folks in the gun community than those right here. It was the outpouring for the forum owner that pushed me over the edge to finally joining up and saying a piece now and then. If you need anything, you just ask and these folks will do all they can to help.

freedom475
01-19-2009, 02:09 AM
Prayers said and thanks given... May God Bless You ALL.

Larry Gibson
01-19-2009, 03:13 AM
Prayers be with you and yours.

Larry Gibson

waksupi
01-19-2009, 03:35 AM
My gosh, Joe. My prayers with you and yours.

bgokk
01-19-2009, 04:06 AM
My prayers are for your family. God bless you and your wife for your service to our country.

Brooks

Houndog
01-19-2009, 04:28 AM
Prayers said.
May the LORD watch over you and yours.

clintsfolly
01-19-2009, 08:09 AM
thinking of you and yours!! a good wife is a true gift clint

cajun shooter
01-19-2009, 08:22 AM
Joe, I'm so glad your son is OK. Raised 2 of them and it's a hand full. Good women are the strength of our world. It took me to a later age in life to realize how much we men depend on them to hold everything together. Not only in child birth but the real back bone of a family falls on the shoulders of our women. I wish that you and yours have many a happy day ahead of you.

Ricochet
01-19-2009, 08:25 AM
Wow! God has already been looking out for y'all. A bad C1 fracture would've ended it all right there. I'll pray for your family.

Leadforbrains
01-19-2009, 08:32 AM
Im glad your little boy is going to be OK. I just said a prayer for you and your family and to thank God that your son is going to be alright.

monadnock#5
01-19-2009, 08:56 AM
The first one's on the way. I will honor your request, and pleased to do so.

Bret4207
01-19-2009, 09:00 AM
My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. Thank God he's okay!

Boz330
01-19-2009, 09:13 AM
Ditto here as well. Glad to here your son is going to be OK. Pretty amazing what they can go through at that age and bounce back.

Bob

lunicy
01-19-2009, 09:33 AM
Wow, just wow. You will be in my prayers tonight

klcarroll
01-19-2009, 09:41 AM
My prayers are with you and your family! I am so relieved to hear that your son will OK!

.......And thank you for your service to ALL of us!

Kent

DLCTEX
01-19-2009, 10:24 AM
Thanks and prayers sent. Sounds as though you are blessed with a good woman. DALE

Maineboy
01-19-2009, 10:24 AM
My prayers go out to you, your wife, and your family. It's pretty scary how quickly tragedy can strike. Thankfully your son made out as well as he did. God Bless you all.

sundog
01-19-2009, 10:34 AM
Wow, Joe. How long will the little guy have to wear that collar?

blackthorn
01-19-2009, 12:29 PM
Our thoughts are with you and your family! We are so pleased that your son will recover! Best wishes.

bishopgrandpa
01-19-2009, 12:34 PM
Prayers for whole family. God has a special place in His heart for the little ones.

hiram
01-19-2009, 12:40 PM
Best wishes to you and the family. Even when they are grown, things aren't easy.

SharpsShooter
01-19-2009, 12:41 PM
You are indeed lucky. I'll add my prayers for your entire family.

SS

NVcurmudgeon
01-19-2009, 12:43 PM
Our prayers for you and your family. Thanks for your service and a special thanks to your good wife for taking such good care of the home front. Billl and fran

Boerrancher
01-19-2009, 12:53 PM
First and for most Thank you all for your prayers, well wishes, and concern. Secondly, this is the best group of people I have ever been associated with. Most importantly Thank you all for just being yourselves.

Joe

BD
01-19-2009, 12:58 PM
I'm very sorry to hear of your troubles. I hope all will turn out well for your boy. Remember to take care of your wife today. Many really strong people will not allow themselves to suffer until after the pressure is off.

All the best,
BD

Tom Herman
01-19-2009, 01:07 PM
I pray for a full recovery for your son, and that everything goes well for your family.
You've got a good wife, and I'm glad that you realize it.
And Thank You for your service to our country!

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

SPRINGFIELDM141972
01-19-2009, 01:10 PM
One more prayer sent.

Regards,
Everett

45nut
01-19-2009, 01:15 PM
Oh My Gosh!
I too was holding my breath until I got through to where he was playing with his toys again!

You, Your Son, Wife and entire family are in my prayers Joe.

I know all too well how a neck injury can be debilitating, the lucky lad should not have as tough a trail from what it sounds.

01-19-2009, 01:23 PM
Thoughts and prayers. Hang in there. Trust in the Lord.

Wayne Smith
01-19-2009, 01:27 PM
Thank God for His mercies. Prayers for you and your wife going on.

exile
01-19-2009, 01:36 PM
We will pray for your son and your family. Your wife must be a strong woman. If there is anything we can do other than pray, let us know.

exile

44man
01-19-2009, 01:37 PM
I read your first post and just could not respond right away. It hurt me bad and I just did not know what to say. I almost die when my dog gets something wrong, I can't imagine having a child hurt.
My best wishes to you and your family. I will pray too.

bobk
01-19-2009, 01:47 PM
Now who says there aren't such things as miracles? God bless you all!

Bob K

hicard
01-19-2009, 02:03 PM
I wish you all well and really do hope your wife and children make it through the growing years ok. My daughter has 3 children and I just don't know how she does everything she does.

Ron

Murphy
01-19-2009, 02:16 PM
Joe,

God Bless you and the family. I can't imagine the terror you and the family were going thru.

Sending up prayers for the lil guys speedy and full recovery, your wife and you Sir.

God Bless,

Murphy

leadeye
01-19-2009, 03:06 PM
Best wishes and our prayers Joe. Ours are grown now but I remember that feeling.

beemer
01-19-2009, 04:59 PM
You have my best wishes and prayers for your son and and the rest of the family too. A good wife is the best thing a man can have.

beemer

Hip's Ax
01-19-2009, 05:27 PM
Joe, Prayer Strike Ordered On Your Position Sir!! Danger Close!!

Bigjohn
01-19-2009, 07:51 PM
So glad to hear that he will come through OK. I can only imagine the terror you and your wife were going through.

Best wishes,
John

LIMPINGJ
01-19-2009, 09:26 PM
My prayers are for all of you.

tall grass
01-19-2009, 11:54 PM
My prayers are with your family and you. May God bless your son with a swift and complete recovery and peace and rest for you and your wife.

Jim

twotrees
01-20-2009, 12:36 AM
Joe,

Little ones are sent to put grey hairs on your head. As me how I know.

Keep the faith and kiss that wife of yours they are rare and need all to be told that you "love them" every phone call, every parting. Again ask me how I know.

Best wishes and Prayers to you and you family From Me and My Best Half, RedFoxy.

Echo
01-20-2009, 01:21 AM
Heartfelt prayers for you and yours, Joe. In spite of your recent trevails, I think you are a fortunate man - to have a helpmate with the strength of yours. I know you cherish the day she said 'I Do'.

PatMarlin
01-20-2009, 01:35 AM
Thank god your sons OK Joe- Thankyou Father ..! Prayers out to your wife but she sounds very tough indeed and will weather this well for both of you.

HABCAN
01-20-2009, 01:42 AM
Joe, we all pray the Good Lord will keep you and your exceptional wife in the hollow of His hand.
Happy about your boy's escape.

OldBob
01-20-2009, 07:27 AM
Prayers sent for you and yours, glad the little man is doing well, nothing tougher than having your kid hurt.

Cherokee
01-20-2009, 01:53 PM
Prayers for all....

HORNET
01-20-2009, 08:30 PM
Sorry to hear about your boy, Joe. It sounds like he just missed a real bad time. My prayers for a fast and full recovery.

BBA
01-20-2009, 08:49 PM
My family's thoughts and prayers are going out for you. Hopefully this will be just a few more grey hairs. All the best for a speedy recovery

Reloader06
01-20-2009, 09:46 PM
EXHALE!!! Wow. As a father of 3 I can relate. I will continue to send kneemail for you and your. God has special plans for you. Your bride is truly a gift fromk Him.

Matt

sav300
01-21-2009, 07:16 AM
Joe,I hope the boy makes a speedy recovery and his poor mum gets some rest.
Lionel

No_1
01-21-2009, 08:32 AM
Joe,

My prayers are with your son, you and especially your wife. I remember years ago going to the commisary before they started using plastic bags. Their paper grocery bags had an imprint on them that said something like "Wife, toughest job in the navy". I remember that saying almost everytime my wife has to deal with another issue. Wives have to be strong because they hold the family together and sometimes do not get the respect or praise they deserve. KUDO's to your wife (and of course all good wives) and good luck to your son (and you).

Robert

BTW, thanks for what you did while active duty.

uncle joe
01-21-2009, 08:55 AM
"Other Joe" :-D
I know how you feel, I was in the yard in September when the wife screamed "we have to go to the hospital, Jesse has" and that was all I heard before she left the door to go get ready to go. Complete terror is the only way to describe what that feels like. Luckly it was his thumb 'not his neck'. I can't imagine a neck injury with a three year old. The Lord was surely looking over him. Times like this make you realize what is important in life, other than the job lost or other money matters.
Good luck and God Bless
JE

Boerrancher
01-23-2009, 11:01 AM
Yesterday the wife and I took our youngest to the neurologist for his followup. We were there for about 4 hours, and he came back with pretty much a clean bill of health. The fracture is starting to heal and it didn't go all the way through the bone. He can also start wearing his neck brace less and less, as the muscle and soft tissue in his neck has healed enough that it should no longer start to swell with use. In a couple of weeks he will be as good as new.

The wife and I thank each and everyone of you for your prayers and well wishes. I am so thankful that I was able to get acquainted with such a wonderful group of people, and may the Good Lord bless you all.

Joe

SharpsShooter
01-23-2009, 11:09 AM
[smilie=w:

That is great news!

SS

atr
01-23-2009, 11:09 AM
Joe,
glad to hear your youngest is mending well !!!....sounds like a great start for the New Year
art

USARO4
01-23-2009, 12:17 PM
God Bless your family Boerrancher, I'm glad he's going to be OK. My little 18 month old grandaughter broke her arm on Monday and that broke my heart. Its heart rending to see the little ones hurt.

01-23-2009, 12:23 PM
Wonderful

Cherokee
01-23-2009, 01:07 PM
Great, PTL...

scrapcan
01-23-2009, 03:50 PM
Don't forget the stress on the other kids also. And as others said thak care of your wife first and foremost now that the original situation has calmed down.

AzShooter
01-23-2009, 04:02 PM
My prayers go out to you and your family hoping for the best. Nothing hurts more than seeing our children get hurt.

shdwlkr
01-24-2009, 08:16 PM
Joe and your family will be in my prayers.
the wife and I have had some interesting moments with the kids but so far nothing like that. My handicap 18 year old fell last week and hit his head and needed stapling but that was no big deal.
Our most stressing event of the last year was when I found our 13 year old handicap daughter dead in her bed. Now that was stressful because here in NM all deaths in the home are listed as homicides until all the investigation is done and since I found her it was me that was in the hot seat. A friend in my shooting club was the first on the scene and since he was the deputy sheriff I calmed down some and he took care of the rest and I just went numb for months as that is the last thing I wanted to do. We expected to loose her because she had been going down hill for over a year but figured it would be on one of her many trips to the hospital. Well she had other ideas and that was her way to leave and Dad will just have to accept it
Again glad to hear that you are all doing well. As to the being on the mend from your time with the Army. Take it slow, never give up and realize you did the right thing and some like me are very proud you stood up for America. Just another DAV Army person, my time goes back to the Viet Nam time and I never refused to do as my country asked and I have the nightmares to prove it. No medals they mean nothing to me and nothing in my records as I was in a position to white wash them because of the fact I was on paper an Army Reservists so you know we did nothing for the country. Sometimes wished I had left all the info in the files but what good would it have done. Basically none and that is one of the reasons I white washed it all to look just like all the others in my unit plane Jane boring.
later soldier
Standup if you can and salute that flag every chance you get and if a tear falls let it you earned the right to cry when it goes by as your blood is there in the red on the flag just like mine and a cousin of mine that died over there. After 38 years I finally got his memorial baclet and it stay on my arm as long as I am alive.
I wear another one for everyone who is fighting now in war in Iraq as Afghanistan hadn't started when I got it but I do think about what you and those still fighting deal with every day.
time to shut up as I can't see the dam page anymore. Flashbacks worst thing to deal with but kids are the best to help you out of them.
may the good lord watch over you and yours and bless you with peace and a good life
gw

Houndog
01-24-2009, 08:28 PM
I'm glad the little one is getting better Joe. GOD does answer prayers.

shdwlker ,
May GOD comfort you and your family. Loosing a loved one is tough. Remember GOD takes care of his children and they LIVE with him for eternity.

trickyasafox
01-24-2009, 09:44 PM
Best to you and your family on a quick recovery.

schutzen
01-24-2009, 09:47 PM
Really glad to hear all is working out well, but we'll keep praying just in case.

tenexx
01-24-2009, 10:01 PM
Thankfully, my experience with kids in my ER is that they get sicker faster than adults and recover just as quickly.

Please accept my prayers (an extra thought goes to you and yours at worship tomorrow) and my best wishes to you and yours.

rick/pa
01-25-2009, 10:21 AM
My thoughts and prayers for you and your family, especially the little guy.

MakeMineA10mm
01-28-2009, 12:03 AM
I gotta come read this forum more often!

Wow, Joe. I'm glad to hear the good news here. Prayers will definitely still be sent to you from us too.

jlchucker
01-28-2009, 01:53 PM
Glad to hear it's all working out OK.

bart55
02-01-2009, 01:43 PM
I have kept your family in my prayers since I first read about the fall, I am so pleased that all is working out well. Raised three kids also ,and I know about trips to Childrens hospital ,God Bless the women in our lives also .I am also a vet of the vietnam era , so I remember to keep all of our servicemen and women in my prayers. Thanks for your service

Beaverhunter2
02-04-2009, 01:55 PM
Prayers sent for you and yours. I'm sure glad your son's doing OK! When I first started reading your post, I'd already started speaking to the Big Guy!

Women really are what hold our society together. If it wasn't for them, we'd all be walking around unshowered, living on beer and pizza, and spending all our time shooting, hunting, and fishing. [smilie=1: Just kidding- I've got an Angel, too. As a matter of fact- that's what I call her- "Angel."

Thanks for your service to freedom around the world!

John

waksupi
02-04-2009, 04:08 PM
If it wasn't for them, we'd all be walking around unshowered, living on beer and pizza, and spending all our time shooting, hunting, and fishing.
John

This sounds like my life. Is there a down side?

Got an update on the youngster, Joe?

Boerrancher
02-04-2009, 06:20 PM
Thanks again everyone. The little guy is doing good. His still holds his neck a bit crooked form time to time when he starts getting tired, but other than that he is once again the same precocious three year old he was before he got hurt. Take care all, thank you and God Bless.

Joe

HeavyMetal
02-04-2009, 06:34 PM
Being a parent, especially when "stuff" happens, is the hardest job in the world!

Count your blessings that both your son and your wife are fine.

being a lone parent can be very hard, I know, so take care of both of them!

Our thoughts are with you.

MT Gianni
02-04-2009, 08:09 PM
[QUOTE=waksupi;486876]This sounds like my life. Is there a down side?

You have to figure out for yourself when you need new carpet and furniture.