PDA

View Full Version : 45 ACP Not a Rimless Cartridge

StarMetal
01-10-2006, 02:35 PM
How many of you knew that the 45 acp wasn't a rimless cartridge? Just look in your reloading book and see the size of the rim is bigger then any other part of the cartridge. Not much, but still not rimless.

Joe

Scrounger
01-10-2006, 02:56 PM
How many of you knew that the 45 acp wasn't a rimless cartridge? Just look in your reloading book and see the size of the rim is bigger then any other part of the cartridge. Not much, but still not rimless.

Joe

Is that the most controversial statement you could come up with, Joe? I appreciate your efforts to enliven the board and save us from the mind-numbing doldrums it frequently falls into, but I think you're going to have to give these guys a little more than that to work with... Why don't you ask them what they think casting will be like 25 years from now, or if they think there is a super casting material out there that will allow them to exceed today's pressure/velocity limitations?

StarMetal
01-10-2006, 03:04 PM
Art,

I see you're bored too. Me, I'm dying, I'm beginning to think I got the bird flu. Super nice weather here in the mid 60's and sunny and I'm too sick to enjoy it. I haven't eaten any solid foods in three days. I've lost quite a few pounds already too, but I need that. I'd rather be injured then sick, especiall stomach intestinal stuff. Yes Felix you do have my symphaty indeed.

Joe

carpetman
01-11-2006, 12:04 AM
Starmetal---Just because you started molting and laying eggs is not 100% that you have the bird flu---pretty close though.

StarMetal
01-11-2006, 12:08 AM
I'll tell you Raymond I'd probably felt better if I did all those things. How's your health been this winter so far. Nose thing all fixed up and healed now?

Joe

carpetman
01-11-2006, 12:37 AM
Starmetal Joe---I had my one month post surgery inspection last week and the Dr was very pleased. It all went smoother than I had expected. Winter here has been very mild so far and I have been spending more time outside---quit smoking in the house.

StarMetal
01-11-2006, 12:45 AM
Ray,

Glad to hear it went smooth for you. Winter has been mild here the past few years. This summer we had a drought and I don't think winter is going to catch us up on the needed water. It's been in the high 60's most this week. Hell of alot better then living up North.

Joe

mike in co
01-11-2006, 01:06 AM
star.....joe...
i designed some full length pistol case sizing equiptment for a big blue reloading firm.
the big obstacle was what to do about the "rim" on the 45 acp.....
we stuck with 9mm and 40 s&w, and just held off on the 45acp...... its a low pressure round compared to the other two , so was not much of an issue.

so the answwer is yes i knew.

C1PNR
01-11-2006, 10:42 PM
I just ordered some .45 Auto Rim brass for use in my 25-2. Should help me keep those, mostly target, rounds separate from my Para & Commander stuff.

I don't think I knew the .45 ACP was not a "rimless" design. At a glance it looks like one, and if you need the .45 Auto Rim to have a rim, I guess it makes sense it is "rimless."

Oh, well, another good reason to surf the site from time to time. Heck, I found out about the not rimless .45 ACP and how to remove the powder hopper from a Lyman 55 measure, both in the same evening. What a deal!:)