PDA

View Full Version : Hernia surgery

jim 44-40
01-31-2022, 04:44 PM
Any one still have groin pain a year and half after getting a mesh put in for a hernia?I keep telling the VA that the pain is a 8 on the scale if I walk to much or crouch down to long.I do my best to keep on trucking but it ain't easy.Wife says stay out of the woods,but I love the outdoors.

Winger Ed.
01-31-2022, 05:01 PM
I had the mesh type done through a little hole about 1/4" from a guy that specialized in it.
I was in & out in a couple of hours.

I was rather sore the next day, and a little sore the second day.
On the third day, it was like it had never happened.

I can't remember exactly, but the surgery was done at least 10 years ago.
I don't know if a better process has come along since then, but I have no complaints from mine.
Maybe yours moved out the effected area or a new hernia developed beside it.

Froogal
01-31-2022, 05:12 PM
Yes. I have a problem with the mesh and my surgery was done about 20 years ago. No problem with walking or any other activity, but I know it is there. Causes some discomfort in other places.

Shawlerbrook
01-31-2022, 05:18 PM
I had a repair with mesh in 2013 on the right side and without mesh in 2018 on the left. The mesh was definitely easier and I actually shot a deer from a tree stand with my bow 3 weeks after surgery. I would get a different opinion if they don’t understand you have a problem.

nvbirdman
01-31-2022, 07:02 PM
I had my non-mesh hernia surgery thirty years ago and after two days of soreness and two or three weeks of being careful when I lifted anything it's like nothing ever happened.

poppy42
01-31-2022, 11:21 PM
I had a hernia repaired with mesh back in the early 90s. Six months after I had it done I reached up to get something out of a cabinet and thought I was gonna die! Did this day if I overexert I can still feel it pulling a little! I wouldn’t call it a pain or anything like that it’s more like it’s saying hey remember I’m still there!

ulav8r
02-01-2022, 12:11 AM
Had mesh installed in 1983. Occasionally have a pain, just lasts a few seconds and is not severe.

Vopie
02-01-2022, 12:32 AM
I've had 5 hernia operations since '83, some with, some without mesh. No problems, couple weeks of light duty and back at it.

beemer
02-01-2022, 01:27 AM
I had the right side done with mesh about 20 years ago. Stayed sore for about a month. Other than an occasional twinge there are no problems. Although they didn't need too, they shaved me from nipples to knees, looked like I was 3 years old again. Everything turned blue, green, black and purple. Dad took one look sad said " Looks like the color case hardening on a cheap shotgun".

Had the left done last May. The doctor had a little problem from scar tissue from the first one. A fluid pocket formed where the hernia had been, it was really sore. I thought the hernia had come back. The Doc said it was common and would go away in a few weeks.

If mine hurt that bad after that long I would want some answers.

NSB
02-01-2022, 02:33 AM
Hernia mesh can migrate and cause problems down the road. Most surgeons don’t use it now days. It’s one of those things that have made ambulance chasing lawyers rich. There’s a reason for that. You’re better off getting the repair without it. I had hernia surgery twenty-seven years ago and the surgeon said he wouldn’t touch mesh for a repair. He fixed mine and it’s like I never had a hernia to begin with. Never had a problem since.

jim 44-40
02-01-2022, 03:51 AM
I am going to find out if the VA can send me to a different clinic besides Pittsburg to get something done.Wife is a retired RN and is very supportive and that helps abunch.thank you guys for sharing your experiences.

MT Gianni
02-03-2022, 10:11 AM
Had a mesh repair in the late 90's. No appreciable pain from the mesh after the first week.

Handloader109
02-04-2022, 04:51 PM
I've seen several advert for lawyers having a class action against several mesh makers. I'd be checking, there really might be issue with the mesh.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

warren5421
02-05-2022, 12:32 PM
I had surgery in 99 at the VA on my gut, they used mesh, it herniated. Three surgeries later to date it still hurts. I would go to a non-VA doctor as it can become very bad.

jim 44-40
02-05-2022, 02:11 PM
Ya I had it done at UMPC in Pittsburg.The VA made the arrangements for me for which I am grateful,but here I am hurting every day and it's getting old! VA did pay for 100% of the bill.

JSnover
02-05-2022, 02:45 PM
I had the mesh back in April and had no problems, other than some discomfort starting a few months ago. It's not severe but I'm wondering if the hernia may have moved. Feels like it's lower than before. My job is physically demanding, so I may have overworked it.

FISH4BUGS
02-06-2022, 04:17 PM
I keep getting pop up ads from law firms looking to sign me up for a class action suit for hernia mesh failures. I don't have one and have never had surgery in my life.
Maybe you are one that might need that. Google hernia mesh lawsuit and read up on it.