PDA

View Full Version : Looking for semi-autos with extended mags

Tokarev
01-31-2022, 02:15 PM
Since I've never owned a semi-auto shotgun and only ever handled a recoil-operated one 20+ years back I am a total noob and have no idea of the following:
Do 12ga 2 3/4 and 3" semi-auto shotguns with extended tubular magazines exist? After a lot of googling I could find a few models but nothing that satisfies my tastes.
It should have a tubular magazine, not super-tactical with a box magazine. I would prefer a Rem, Winchester, Ithaca or Stevens. No Mossberg or Browning and no Turks.
Do I have a chance to find something within the above constraints?

Winger Ed.
01-31-2022, 02:24 PM
Brownell's sells them for Rem. 1100s as an extension tube & spring.

Other places have them too, but check with the seller as they are regulated for export.

remy3424
01-31-2022, 03:30 PM
Just google "shotgun magazine extensions" again or stop at your LGS. I think you will find them for Rem, Win, Benelli and others. Not sure what you found or didn't find, but they are pretty common here. Pretty sure I could walk into the local Scheels store and they would have several in-stock...maybe different up north.

Tokarev
01-31-2022, 04:00 PM
I did not realize that 1100 still is being produced. Only ever saw them used in classified ads. This is a good start.

Google works strangely between me and my family. They get totally different results from me when they search for the same keyword. We have to walk to each other's PCs all the time, to see what results one of us got. So I am not surprised that I did not find extensions. Google hates me.

It's indeed different up north because semi-autos are limited to 5 rounds in a magazine here, but it does not mean that an extension is illegal. It only has to be permanently modified to not accept more than 5 rounds total. So if a shotgun OOB accepts 4 in the tube then I am legally allowed to own an extension that only allows me to insert 1 more round for the total of 5.
But I am looking for a present to a person in a completely different jurisdiction altogether, so neither US or Canadian gun laws apply, luckily! I'll have to find it, order it delivered to their address as a gift, and call it a day.

Tokarev
02-06-2022, 08:45 PM
By the way, why is there price difference between 1100 and 11-87, with the latter costing way more?

Plate plinker
02-06-2022, 09:09 PM
I would ask what is the purpose of this gun? Might make a difference in recommending something.

Winger Ed.
02-06-2022, 11:00 PM
By the way, why is there price difference between 1100 and 11-87, with the latter costing way more?

If they are interchangeable, the listing will show something like: 'Fits 1100 and 11-87'

If they show 2 different part numbers--- they're different items also.

Tokarev
02-07-2022, 09:51 AM
I meant why the guns themselves are priced way different? $500-800 for 1100 but $800-1200 for 11-87.

The same extension fits on both. Different part# indeed but the price is the same.

The gun and extension is for a security guard in a high-risk area.

megasupermagnum
02-07-2022, 12:21 PM
There are a few internal differences between an 1100 and 1187, but the overall designs are pretty much the same. The biggest practical difference between the two is the gas system. The 1100 has a basic gas system, port in the barrel that drives a piston. The 1187 simply goes a small step farther in adding a vent to the gas system covered by a ring. On lighter loads, the ring keeps the vent covered. On heavier loads, the extra pressure springs open that ring and the excess gas vents out. The internals of the 1187 also include a bolt buffer and some other changes to handle extra battering.

So with one 1187 you can cover most trap loads, up through the strongest 3" slugs. With an 1100 you change the barrels for the loads. You need a 2 3/4" barrel for trap loads, and a 3" magnum barrel for the strong loads. If you are looking at new, it is a no brainer, get the 1187. I'm pretty sure the 1100 is only sold as a trap gun now, if at all. If you are looking at used, you can find some real good deals on 1100's, and they are really nice guns. Their design does need more maintenance, but they are about the softest shooting 12 gauge ever made.

For your purposes, I think you should really be considering the Mossberg 940, even though you already said no. A Benelli M2 is another one you should be considering, although pricey.

Tokarev
02-07-2022, 12:31 PM
Great! Now it's clear. It will be an 11-87.

W.R.Buchanan
02-12-2022, 04:50 PM
You said no Browning's but you are eliminating the best one out there. The Browning Auto 5 is by far superior to all the gas guns ever made. That's why they were produced for over 80 years by several companies. They are a Long Recoil Action and run cleaner than Gas Operated guns because all the gas goes out the end of the barrel and doesn't contaminate the innards of the gun with powder residue.

I have one that is a Field Gun(1964) with two 28" vent rib barrels with Full and Modified Chokes,,, and the other set up as a Tactical/ Slug Hunter.(1963)

I have two barrels for the Tac Gun, a Smoothbore Buck Special Barrel with rifle sights for buckshot and slugs, and a Hastings Rifled Barrel which delivers exceptional accuracy.( see Pic) I have a mag tube extension that adds 3 to the existing tube made by Briley. They have ones as long as your arm and they work perfectly. Very easy to get 10 rounds on board.

The only limitation with the A5 is you have to choose either 2 3/4 or 3" it won't run both, but since you hardly ever actually need 3" shells that is no big loss. There are 2 3/4" shells that will do pretty much everything and the action can be set up for either light or heavy loads by repositioning the Friction Ring on the mag tube.. I can take the Mag Extension off and install the stock mag cap with a 2 shot plug and I'm legal for hunting, anywhere.

The thing about the A5s is they will run forever with only occasional deep cleaning and lots of lubrication. They were built like machinery and as such were designed and built to last!

Getting one made after 1963 will give you the 2 Piece Lifter that provides the "Speed Feed" function which makes single loading the gun much faster than the typical Ejection Port Load. You don't want an earlier version because they are very slow and awkward to load. Look for the "two piece lifter" as it is the easy way to identify the newer guns.

I would not have brought this up if I wasn't sure of where I speak. I beat guys at 3 gun shoots with Benelli's and Beretta's everytime I go out with mine.

Plenty of good used ones out there and I paid $600 for mine, and it's worth 2X that any day of the week.

Randy

farmbif
02-12-2022, 06:00 PM
with the a5 you should change the ring stack according to the power of the load, I never have and its never failed me but the 1100 and 1187 have never failed me either. if I were to keep just one it would be the 11-87

here are a couple that might go cheap this week at rock island auction

the 11r is basically an a5 built to John brownings design, very reliable

a few months back I saw a lot of 4 model 1100's sell for $1000

bowfin
02-18-2022, 06:48 PM
How many rounds total do you want in your shotgun? Because the Kel-Tec KSG holds 15 rounds total and a Mossberg 940 Pro will have a ten shot capacity.

Tokarev
02-18-2022, 09:27 PM
Keltec is not being considered for some good reasons just as Mossberg is not.
10 rounds is enough. If he runs out of 10 he is in a bigger trouble than a shotgun can solve.

bowfin
02-19-2022, 01:36 PM
10 rounds is enough. If he runs out of 10 he is in a bigger trouble than a shotgun can solve

If somebody needs more than two, then something is not right.

super6
02-19-2022, 02:02 PM
The A5 is unbreakable, If you can take the recoil beating. Bought mine for $100.00 10 years ago, Would not take $1000.00 for it now.

Tokarev
03-12-2022, 08:41 PM
Educate me on O-rings of 11-87. I was told that they need to be replaced at regular intervals. How frequently? What are the signs of a worn O-ring? And what are they made of and in what size?

Duckiller
03-13-2022, 04:37 AM
I got my 1100 rings from a local hardware store. Assume 11-87 rings can also be gotten there. When I was just hunting I never had to replace my rings. Once I got into trap and skeet I had to replace rings to make sure the gun worked. Also helps to coat ring in grease.

Tokarev
03-13-2022, 10:53 AM
Thank you! Do you recall the dimensions of the ring that you bought?

farmbif
03-13-2022, 05:15 PM
1100/11-87 brings are inexpensive and best bought in kit with new stainless ring. the last ones I got were I think from brown ells each kit was like $5 and they were coated like teflon coated viton. they last a long time if your not constantly removing your barrel. just get a remchoke barrel and leave it on there. ive had the 1100 since 1987 and only once had a cracked oring.
I'm no expert but would think if a security guard that needs a ten shot capacity shotgun might ought to have a pair of g22's with extended magazines, or some other high capacity semi auto handguns, on belt holsters during patrol hours.

Tokarev
03-13-2022, 05:28 PM
if a security guard that needs a ten shot capacity shotgun might ought to have a pair of g22's

No handguns allowed in his jurisdiction.

megasupermagnum
03-14-2022, 02:23 AM
Educate me on O-rings of 11-87. I was told that they need to be replaced at regular intervals. How frequently? What are the signs of a worn O-ring? And what are they made of and in what size?

There is no set interval of replacement that I have ever seen. Usually they are good for thousands of rounds. They are normal O-rings, and you can get different kinds. The best for this use is a Viton, use size #021. It isn't a big deal. Even when the O-ring fails, the action should function with normal ammo. With weaker ammo, it might fail to cycle. I've never seen one failed myself, but I change them before they do. Beyond that, it's just about cleaning. The 1100/1187 gets pretty dirty if you shoot it a lot. You need to clean them, including inside the action, a lot of soot ends up in there, more often than some newer semi-auto's. If you do that, they are solid and reliable for the long haul. Plenty of people have shot ten of thousands of rounds with an 1100 at targets with zero issues. I'm not aware of any parts that wear out, just the O-ring.

Tokarev
03-14-2022, 09:10 AM
Thanks a lot!

Found the O-ring size: 15/16 ID, 1 1/16 OD, 1/16 thickness.

You are absolutely right: there is no reason for buying these rings as "Remington 1100/11-87 O-rings" because they are sold at high premium. Generic rings of the same brand and size cost less than 1/10th of that.

Tokarev
04-17-2022, 07:11 PM
So, as it always happens in this community, I had a problem and asked a question, and you gave me the best advise on Earth.
My pal found a used 11-87 online, he checked it out, and it was in near perfect condition. I bought it for him, and he is a happy camper (after I also bought and shipped to him a bag of O-rings because his was shot).

Now, both of us have this question: since it is a security job, he is tempted to use dirt-cheap steel BB pellets, which also keeps his loadout light.
Does the stock Rem barrel allow for it or is steel going to damage it? Does it need a special choke?

megasupermagnum
04-18-2022, 01:45 AM
First, why on earth would you choose steel BB for any kind of security? I can't possibly think of a worse choice. And dirt cheap? Must be different in Canada. This is way beyond my expertise, but I'd say anything other than buckshot and slugs in that shotgun is a bad idea. 8 pellets of 00 buck weights less than any 12 gauge steel BB load I ever saw for sale.

Second, steel shot is just fine in any 1187. There are special turkey choke tubes that advise no steel shot or slugs, but anything cylinder to full is just fine with steel shot in that gun.

farmbif
04-18-2022, 11:38 AM
I think your friend might like the 11-87. I'm not completely sure about this but it seems the Remington 1100's and 11-87's might have been made real well right up till the end when the company went belly up.