PDA

View Full Version : Potential off-the-shelf BP lube

HWooldridge
01-30-2022, 11:00 PM
We’ve had a spell of cold weather with very low humidity and my hands started cracking so I grabbed my trusty can of O’Keefe’s “Working Hands”. If you have never used it, the appearance is something of a blend of facial cream and Crisco. It also has almost no fragrance so nothing to stink up the place. Out of curiosity, I decided to read the ingredients, and thought the major items made an interesting blend:

Water
Glycerin
Stearic Acid
Sodium Hydroxide
Paraffin
Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose
Allantoin
Octydodecyl Stearate
Mineral oil
…and a few other things…

I’m going to pan lube a few 44 slugs and load them over some BP, just for fun. Might also be a good blend with a bit of beeswax. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

weakhand luke
01-31-2022, 06:28 AM
Let us know. I like to remember sodium hydroxide = lye.

HWooldridge
01-31-2022, 09:05 AM
Let us know. I like to remember sodium hydroxide = lye.

I saw that but am thinking it is likely a very small part of the mix, since this is intended for use on the skin. Heck, it might offset some of the BP salts that cause corrosion.

01-31-2022, 09:17 AM
Very interested in this.

greenjoytj
02-03-2022, 09:45 AM
I would smear some on a ctg case and leave it for a few months, then check on corrosion if any.

swamp
02-05-2022, 12:58 AM
It looks like the lye in the mix acts like it does in soap. Turns the liquid into a solid or semi-solid. If that is the case it would use up the lye.
swamp

Harter66
02-05-2022, 01:05 AM
A list of ingredients alone .
Bag balm is pretty close .

Olive-bee .
About any rendered clean animal fat- bee .

HWooldridge
02-06-2022, 06:39 PM
I loaded up half a dozen 44-40 with 30 gr 3Fg Goex and shot them from a 4-3/4” SAA. All I can say is the results are inconclusive. There is a lube ring on the end of the barrel and the fouling was not baked on, but 6 shots ain’t much of a test. It needs a longer sample but at least doesn’t appear to cause any obvious problems. This stuff is pretty expensive compared to most home made lubes but it seems to work in a pinch. Probably much better than anything based on Alox.

59sharps
05-12-2022, 05:41 PM
Paraffin is a no no in black powder lube.