PDA

View Full Version : 22 Wadcutter ?

Johnch
01-30-2022, 10:55 PM
I am working on my Browning 22 Hornet A-Bolt Micro Hunter
I plan on mainly using it for squirrel , with some short range ground hog hunting

I plan on ordering a NOE 225-46-WFN-A1 mold as I want a flat nose to transfer energy

As my skills of cutting the nose profile for 22 cal bullets needs work
Also NOE molds all seem to just plain work well

But I had a idea
As most of the shots squirrel hunting are short
Could I make a 40 gr wadcutter mold and use that ?
I was thinking a plain base , single grease grove design
Maybe a true double ended wadcutter design with out a crimp grove

I will have to first make sure a wadcutter bullet will feed
Before I cut the mold

But your thoughts ?

Thanks
John

cwtebay
01-30-2022, 11:04 PM
I believe that I would test that idea out by loading a bullet backwards in an empty case before cutting a mould. Unless you wish to Barney load each one?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Michael J. Spangler
01-30-2022, 11:39 PM

Test it by putting a 22 cal gas check in the driving band section of a 22 mould. Cast your lead or in the cast of this picture glue into the mould and pull out a wadcutter.
You can keep reusing the gas checks of course. It’s a cheap way to try a wadcutter in any diameter without having a custom mould made.
I did this with a .458” mould to make some stackable wadcutters for 45-70

Johnch
01-31-2022, 01:55 AM
Thanks
I would have never thought of using a gas check

John

MT Gianni
02-01-2022, 12:53 PM
How many well hit squirrels are you loosing from using a conventional fp [225415] bullet? If it is less that 10% and I bet it is way less there is no need for one.

megasupermagnum
02-01-2022, 01:04 PM
I can't imagine anything good happening. Squirrels are already small enough, and bony enough. A .177 pellet gun is about the perfect rifle for them.

beagle
02-01-2022, 02:00 PM
John, I did the same thing basically. Had a 225438HP and a M77 "All weather" Ruger Hornet. I use that bullet and 3.5 grains of Unique and it gives me a load about like the .22 WMR and is great for starlings and other backyard pests. Quiet and accurate and no recoil to speak of. Good yard gun./beagle

cwtebay
02-01-2022, 11:12 PM
I can't imagine anything good happening. Squirrels are already small enough, and bony enough. A .177 pellet gun is about the perfect rifle for them.Have you SEEN southern squirrels!?!?
They're like a piglet grew fur and a long tail!!! Then they have the audacity to crawl up a tree!! They're HUGE!! Why anything less than a double rifle is basically undergunned!!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

megasupermagnum
02-02-2022, 01:39 AM
I have not, but I have a real hard time believing they are any bigger than our fox squirrels, which is most of what we have. Grays are smaller, but rare. A .177 pellet works well. Sometimes they flop a bit. Seems like they flop worse if you shoot them in the head oddly. A body shot they sit there a couple seconds before they fall like a rock. I mostly use a shotgun with #5 shot if noise is no concern.