PDA

View Full Version : 45 Long Colt Ruger?

jack19512
01-18-2009, 10:32 PM
I am starting to research the various Ruger 45 Long Colt revolvers and would like to hear from others about their favorite Ruger 45 LC revolver. I will reload and cast for this revolver. It may see some hunting duties eventually. I've never owned or even shot a 45 LC before so any and all opinions would be appreciated. I don't know if there would be any advantages to the 45 LC/ACP convertible or not. I can't think of a better way to celebrate this coming Tuesday than to buy me a new revolver. :drinks:

Heavy lead
01-18-2009, 10:41 PM
I just love the 45lc, especially in a Ruger, I think I currently have 7 of them, they all shoot well. I have one convertable, hardly ever shoot the acp cylinder (I am a acp fan, but in the 1911 and the smith 625) anyway the one time the acp cylinder has come in very handy is when I happen to load some acp ammunition that ends up being a little too hot, I know I can just stick that cylinder in and unload them the fun way (mind you I'm not talking dangerous, just too snappy in the 1911). I do prefer the adjustable sight models, but have a couple Bisley Vaquero's too. Several of them have had too tight throats that I fixed, but to me a Ruger is a work that needs to be finished when you buy it anyway, and invested in the correct tools to fix them. I do wish I could find a Redhawk in 5.5 inches in 45, all my Rugers are single action and would really like one. I also wish Ruger would put out a Flatop 5.5 inch similiar to the 44 mag they have, I'd buy one tomorrow.

As to my favorite one, it would be a older one I bought used with the acp cylinder. I converted this to a Bisley and put a steel ejector rod housing on too. Actually I have put aftermarket steel ejector rod housings on all my Ruger blued guns. Just can't stand the aluminum one. This has a 4 5/8" barrel and shoots very well with anything from the 454190 with 8.5 grains of Unique to the 360 grain long flat nose with 19 grains of 296, I probably shoot more RCBS270SAA with 10 grains of Unique out of it than anything, and it shoots great.

High Desert Hunter
01-18-2009, 11:55 PM
My favorite is my AccuSport Bisley in 45, it just flat loves the RCBS 270-SAA bullet I cast from wheel weights, that is my all purpose go to bullet, and I load it with Unique, H110, HS6, and 2400. In my mind it is just about the best all-around pistol cartridge out there, in my 4" Smith, it serves me well with original loads pushing a 250gr bullet at 850-950fps for self defense, and when I stoke it with 330gr LFNGC bullet from my Mountain Mould and H110, there isn't anything on North America I wouldn't hunt with it. I don't sling quite as much lead with mine since the economic crunch hit, I have been casting and loading my 357 and 32 more often, but when I am carrying a gun concealed or open, it is a 45 Colt.

Dave

Johnch
01-19-2009, 01:18 AM
I bought a 5.5" convertable 45 Colt/ACP this summer

I have put a good number of 45 ACP loads and a fair number of 45 colt loads thriugh it

It seems to shoot everything reasonably well

For general plinking/ small game I used my normal 45 ACP 230 TC load I load for the 1911 , as I was lacking enought 45 colt brass till a short while ago

I worked up a 200 gr load in the 45 colt cases that will be used for a all around load
Not sure what the velosity is but 8.5 gr of Unique and a 200 gr case bullet with a Fed LP primer is a joy to shoot
A Guess is 800 FPS , but the ground hogs I shot with it , were just as dead as a hoter load

I have played with some hoter 250 and 300 gr loads
But have not gotten aroud to working up a deer/hog load yeat

John

Rusty W
01-19-2009, 01:25 AM
I have a New Model convertable 45LC/ACP. I cast and handload 200gr to 300gr boolits. I like not having to chase brass in the acp and it's just as accurate as the LC cylinder. Versitile and easy to load for. It's a keeper.

Dale53
01-19-2009, 01:30 AM
I only have one Ruger in .45 Colt. It is a Bisley Vaquero with 5½" barrel. I have shot it with Black Powder more than smokeless. It works VERY well with the Lyman 452664 250 gr bullet (30/1 lead/tin) using a case full (+1/16") of black powder using Emmert's Home Mix lube. I have won a number of "Buffalo" side matches with this revolver (it shoots to point of aim at 25 yards right out of the box). Probably my best showing was at a side match at Friendship, IN at the NMLRA Range (during a National BPCR Silhouette match which I also shot) where I was lucky enough to win 7 of 8 revolver matches for the day. The best was a 92X100 at fifty yards. So, yes, I DO have very kind thoughts for my Ruger.;:drinks:

It also shoots well with smokeless. The only thing that I did to mine was to do a trigger job on it. It is truly a fine revolver.

Dale53

leadeye
01-19-2009, 12:06 PM
I have two, a 7.5" with a brass frame that I extended myself and a 5.5" with a pair of the old Jay Scott grips on it. Both shoot anything I feed them but most of what they see is the RCBS 250 FN on 10 grains of Unique as this goes into my Henry Rifle 45lc. My higher powered load load is the RCBS 300 SWCGC but it causes an occasional hangup feeding in the Henry. I am looking at trying some Lee C452-300RF this spring. :castmine:

9.3X62AL
01-19-2009, 12:48 PM
I have a Bisley Blackhawk x 7.5" that I wouldn't part with for love or money. Once the throats got fixed, it went from being a one-boolit-wonder that hated all but the Lyman #454490 to a delight with any cast boolit from 200-310 grains. Its best work comes in with either #454424 or #454190 over 9.0 to 10.0 grains of Unique, but others are nearly as good up past 1250 FPS. For those loads, 2400 and #454490 dance together very well. I haven't worked with the Lee 310 grainer very much since the throats got fixed, I think I'll run out of front sight if I push the boolit to its safe full potential. As well as the #454490 shoots at 1250 FPS, there isn't a lot of vigor in exploring the "heavyweight" for me.

The Ruger 45 Colts have the potential of making many 44 Magnums superfluous.

timkelley
01-19-2009, 01:01 PM
I've got a 5.5 inch AccuSport Bisley convertable, it is great!

jack19512
01-19-2009, 04:40 PM
Well, they never had not one Ruger 45 LC in stock. I did however walk out with this. A Ruger Super Redhawk 454 Casull. I hope it shoots the 45 LC OK. Now I just need a suggestion(opinion)for a good Lee boolit mold.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a63/jack19512/Ruger454.jpg

SPRINGFIELDM141972
01-19-2009, 05:20 PM
That is exactly what I have. I have heard alot said about not using 45LC in a 454. Much like some say not to use 38 special in a 357 mag. I have not had any problems with mine, but then again I shoot 38 special in a 357 mag.:-D
With any sane loads the bit of extra weight from the SRH make shooting a real pleasure. Have fun.

Regards,
Everett

C1PNR
01-19-2009, 11:41 PM
The Ruger 45 Colts have the potential of making many 44 Magnums superfluous.
The .45 Colt BH convertible with 7 1/2" barrel I bought in the 70's has done that for me!

In them days, when I was young, dumb, and bullet proof, I had that 454424 at 264 grains Smokin' out of that pistol!

SWMBO has since reminded me I'm no longer young or bullet proof, so I've tamed the loads I regularly use, as much for my comfort as anything else.:smile:

But I still have some that I carry when in areas with a high wolf population.:bigsmyl2:

Crash_Corrigan
01-20-2009, 01:42 AM
I got stuck with a Ruger NM Blackhawk in .45/.45 ACP two years ago on Auction Arms. The seller who shall remain nameless claimed that this was an original gun, never altered nor bubbicized.

Well the ACP Cylinder fit kinda tight and when loaded with .45 ACp rounds it would not turn a lick.

The gun had a brass frame, Stag grips and a 4 5/8 bbl. I finally called Ruger and with the serial number they told me that that was made as a blued steel frame revolver in .45 Colt, not a convertible and it had a 7.5 " bbl.

I still like it and I am working on getting the cylinder to work in this revolter. Good balnance, handles well, shoots to POA and loves anything you stick in the chambers.

txpete
01-20-2009, 01:56 PM
my bisley.it is my fav revolver.I have only shot cast into so far:-D.I haven't tried the 45 acp cylinder yet.
pete

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/txpete/ruger45002.jpg

Willbird
01-20-2009, 02:18 PM
The 45 COLT (long long colt) can be loaded to equal or exceed the performance of the 44 magnum, and at a lower pressure. I love my OM BH 45 COLT with 4-5/8 barrel.

Bill

Heavy lead
01-20-2009, 02:33 PM
If ole' Elmer had the BH or RH in the 45 Colt, me suspects the 44 Mag would never be.

SharpsShooter
01-20-2009, 02:45 PM
If ole' Elmer had the BH or RH in the 45 Colt, me suspects the 44 Mag would never be.

I suspect you are right. I've loaded some 260gr Keith SWC and healthy charges of 2400. The results were impressive. Recoil was in the Elmer realm of the muzzle climbing out to 11 or 12 o'clock with each shot. Accuracy was respectable, but there were better choices in the direction of accuracy.

SS

wonderwolf
01-20-2009, 02:46 PM
So far I like my Ruger blackhawk I picked up a while back, have shot bullets going from 180-260gr in it and it only seems to dislike heavy bullets with unique powder. Although it might be me, I've tried to switch grips around using the hogue finger grooves but they are too wide for me.

I'm working right now on makeing the grip of my blackhawk more like the bisely I guess...much longer grip and a little toe at the end. I hope the alterations will let me shoot it a little better with out the undue stress on me as the gun rolls too much.

smkummer
01-20-2009, 03:24 PM
For standard 45 Colt loads the blackhawk grip is fine but firing it one handed the old plowhandle will allow the gun to rotate the barrel to the 12 oclock position with 250 grain bullets going out at 850plus FPS. The redhawk or bisley grip is really a better recoil handling grip by far.

Heavy lead
01-20-2009, 03:38 PM
I prefer the Bisley grip as well, I've heard that this is not a good grip for large hands, however I have pretty big paws and really like it. I'd like to see Ruger make one on the SBH grip too. I kinda like that new grip (even though it is dinky and thin) with gloves on, but have not shot it with any real loads yet in the 44.

leadeye
01-20-2009, 04:10 PM
So far I like my Ruger blackhawk I picked up a while back, have shot bullets going from 180-260gr in it and it only seems to dislike heavy bullets with unique powder. Although it might be me, I've tried to switch grips around using the hogue finger grooves but they are too wide for me.

I'm working right now on makeing the grip of my blackhawk more like the bisely I guess...much longer grip and a little toe at the end. I hope the alterations will let me shoot it a little better with out the undue stress on me as the gun rolls too much.

I did this on a brass frame last summer by welding a 1/2 inch bar on the base and reshaping, worked out very well.:Fire:

lathesmith
01-20-2009, 10:24 PM
Leadeye, that sounds like a great frame mod, would love to see a pic. I myself prefer the Bisley grip for the heavier loads, it doesn't seem to hurt as much as the old plowhandle. I'm glad I got a Bisley grip on my SBH Hunter, it really does seem to help with recoil. I have kinda cooled on the porting stuff, I prefer to "get a grip" on recoil in other ways these days.
lathesmith

jack19512
01-21-2009, 06:04 AM
I have another question. I have been looking over the reloading supplies that I will need to reload for this revolver and would like to know if there is any benefit at all to ordering 45 LC brass vs. 454 casull brass? My original intent was to purchase a 45 LC revolver and I'm not sure if I will ever shoot this revolver with 454 casull loadings. My thinking is to just buy the 454 casull brass and load to 45 LC ballistics.

Hardcast416taylor
01-21-2009, 03:35 PM
I must be a poor person, I only have 2 Ruger Blackhawks in 45 LC. Both are 70`s and 80`s vintage. The 7 1/2" barrel job now has a 2x scope in a Weaver mount for my hunting needs with 255 gr. cast. The 5 1/2" model is a convertable that only has had the cylinder throats equaled out and a spring tune up. It is the carry piece when I don`t know what type of either wild or "social" varmit I might run into. It also uses cast very well in the 230 gr. range. Hogue grips that were made for my old beat-up hands were worth it, like shaking hands with an old friend. :castmine: Robert

bigdog454
01-21-2009, 04:20 PM
Jack! I have the SRH 454 also but mine is the 9 1/2 inch brl. I found that the most accurate cast (for mine) is the 300 gr lee. I also load the 250-255 gr cast, but have had a bit of a time getting them to shoot well, by well I mean under 2 1/2 inches at 50 yards. With the 250 gr bullets I like to load to warm 45 colt velocities (1000 fps) and for mine Blue dot, Herco, and AA#7 seem best.

Ole Man Dan
01-21-2009, 05:13 PM
I've got a bunch of .45 Blackhawks. (7.5" down to 3.5") I love em all. For hunting I favor a 7.5" with Iron sights. My 'Field Loads' is 265WFN over 10gr. Unique.
This load gives pass thru shots on most everything I'm likely to shoot, and is low on recoil...
(It might just be me, but the sound of the .45 seems like a deeper boom, and is not offensive to my 'shot out ears'... As a retired LEO, I spent a lot of years shooting .357 and the sharp higher pitched crack was painfull. Back then most of us fired too many rounds w/o hearing protection.)

targetshootr
01-21-2009, 07:00 PM
If I could only have one gun, a Ruger 45 colt would be it. Preferably a 5 1/2" Bisley Blackhawk worked over by a well-known oldtimer.

You could spend lots more money on another brand but you won't get that much more of a gun.

:Fire:

Curly James
01-21-2009, 07:30 PM
I have two Ruger BHs in 45 Colt, one with the 45 ACP cylinder. They were my CAS guns for many years and have had thousands of rounds downrange. I picked this one up yesterday and look forward to trying the loads in the photo out at the range tomorrow.

Dale53
01-21-2009, 07:47 PM
Curley;
I think that you are going to like that Red Hawk. I have had one in .44 Magnum for many years and many thousands of shots (it is my "bad weather" hunting revolver with a Leupold scope). It has taken it's share of deer.

The only real criticism I have of this revolver: because of it's design it is difficult to get a good trigger on it. Mine is about 4.0 lbs (really not bad for a hunting gun) and it breaks clean. That is about the best I could hope for but it DID take a bit of effort to get there.

Dale53

Curly James
01-21-2009, 08:17 PM
Dale, you are right, the single action trigger is pretty bad but I'll work on it soon. The other issue is the chamber mouths seem a little tight, but I have not fired it yet so we will see. Strangely, the double action pull is not that bad. I set of Hogues and a good holster and she'll be ready for hog season soon.

jack19512
01-21-2009, 09:32 PM
I found that the most accurate cast (for mine) is the 300 gr lee.

The only mold I have on hand that would be close to use is a Lee 457-340. Does anyone think the 340 gr. boolit is too heavy for the 45 LC or 454 Casull? I measured the throats and they were right at .455. I haven't slugged the bore yet. Here it is ready to shoot, I just don't have any thing to put in it yet.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a63/jack19512/454scope.jpg

High Desert Hunter
01-21-2009, 10:38 PM
I have shot 340gr bullets from my 45 Colt, and when I owned a SRHK 454, I often shot bullets up to 390grs. The heaviest I load in my 45 Colt now is a 330gr LFNGC from my Mt Moulds blocks.

Tom Herman
01-21-2009, 11:22 PM
I have three of them, all stainless, one each in 4", 5-1/2", & 7-1/2" bbl...
All three needed work. The common denominator was poor extraction, and cases sticking in the cylinders. Two of them went back to the factory, and the third languished at a local gun shop/gunsmith for almost a year. A bit of judicious reaming cured all three guns. They now extract just fine!
The 7-1/2" is my woods carry gun. It is definitely heavy, but gets the job done. This is my favorite .45 LC target gun!
The 5-1/2" gun is no slouch. It carries and shoots well just like the others.
The 4" gun is my carry piece and follows me around everywhere but the woods.
I'm glad I picked them up. They are all fun to shoot. I just wish they would have worked well right out of the box.
My loads are simple midrange target and consist of 8 grains Unique behind either the Lyman 452424 or 452664.
I don't think you can go wrong with any Ruger, SA or DA.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Dale53
01-22-2009, 01:11 AM
The reason for the heavy single action trigger pull is that the same geometry is used for both single and double action. This gives a quite decent double action pull but limits you to a rather heavy single action pull. If you lighten the single action too much then you can get too light a hammer fall double action. So, it is a compromise.

By careful work, I ended up with a rather decent single action pull that works well in the field without compromising the double action. It's a bit of a balancing act. Keep in mind that I am NOT a professional Red Hawk trigger man but a "do-it-yourselfer" (not a "Bubba" by any means but not a professional, either).

I carry both my Ruger 7.5" Red Hawk and my Smith 8 3/8" (both scoped) in a Bianchi Hush System holster (across the chest). In rough country and relatively long hikes, it was NO problem at all. The revolver carried in that manner does not interfere with a back pack, either.

Dale53

jack19512
01-22-2009, 11:55 AM
I rigged up this contraption today. It is a flaring tool that I use to use to put a flare on copper water lines. It seems to work real well. It puts a really nice flat nose on the boolit and when turned around it puts a really nice base on the boolit. When you put the boolit into this thing it automatically centers the boolit real well.

It dropped the Lee 340 gr. boolit that actually weighed out at 338 gr. down to 282 gr. but I can play with the cut until I got the boolit weight exactly where I want it. This one time was just to see if it would work at all or not. Do you guys think this is a good idea or do you think I have been breathing in too many lead fumes lately? I know some are going to say why not just buy a mold, but with this I can make a boolit weight to whatever I want and it sure puts a nice flat nose and base on the boolit. I run this through my table saw. This pic isn't the best.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a63/jack19512/DCP01469.jpg

BRIARPATCH
01-26-2009, 02:20 AM
Having recently acquired one of the 45LC/45ACP convertibles myself, I was just wondering if any of you have slugged the bores of your guns. I've slugged mine twice to be sure and came up with .448 both times.
While I haven't started to cast my own as yet it seems most of the cast bullets to be purchased from other sources run .451 or .452.
What size are you guys shooting in your guns?

MtGun44
01-26-2009, 03:06 AM
Bore or cyl throat? That is about normal (very tight) for many BH cyl throats, but
kinda amazing if for the barrel groove diam. Might want to talk to Ruger about that
one. I would expect high pressures with that tight a bbl with jacketed.

Bill

Heavy lead
01-26-2009, 09:30 AM
If in fact your barrel slugs at 448, you need to send it back, you'll always be fighting something on it.

Dale53
01-26-2009, 01:57 PM
MY Ruger Bisley .45 Colt works extremely well with the Lyman 452664 (250 gr RF) with both black and smokeless powder. I size my bullets to .452". That was my standard .45 ACP and Colt sizer die, the bullets worked so well that I did not measure my cylinder throats nor barrel (a bit lame, I know, but if it works, it works...:drinks:).

Dale53

j20owner
01-26-2009, 11:24 PM
I measured the thoats on my dad's new BH and they were around .451 and .452 with my digital dial calipers. I haven't slugged the bore, so I can't comment on that. FWIW, the case shows the manufacture date as being 4-2008.