PDA

View Full Version : went to a gun show today ...

mozeppa
01-29-2022, 07:44 PM
one table had some primers .....$135 for 1000! .....nope.

Smoke4320
01-29-2022, 07:45 PM
I would just keep on walking

rototerrier
01-29-2022, 07:48 PM
Free market working as it should.

upr45
01-29-2022, 07:48 PM
Wow, i will wait for under $50. i feel bad for anybody getting into reloading now with prices so crazy.

Handloader109
01-29-2022, 08:21 PM
Under $50 probably won't happen again. Most probably $65 to 75 is the normal retail once they even become available again.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Plate plinker
01-29-2022, 08:23 PM
Under $50 probably won't happen again. Most probably $65 to 75 is the normal retail once they even become available again.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I think $45 is realistic. But until we get rid of BiDet who knows.

remy3424
01-29-2022, 08:37 PM
At least they were there if you or someone "needed" them. Priced to where folks wouldn't buy them for stock that didn't need them. They will come down, once everyone has purchased all they are willing to at the the prices offered.

ebb
01-29-2022, 08:59 PM
When there was a threat of Hilary becoming president, prices went crazy. Many saw this as a chance to start making ARs and becoming rich overnight. They were on gunbroker for $1500 and up for an entry level gun. Then Trump was elected and very soon the price started coming down. You could buy an AR kit for $375, even with all this worry over Biden, Anifa, and the more radical elements of BLM prices of ARs is still relatively low. Back in the day you used to never see an AR for under $750, now go to PSA and there are $450 ARs. There are ammo makers popping up with increasing regularity, and foreign companies coming to the USA just to avoid restrictions on foreign products. Someday maybe soon maybe not so soon there will be enough production to supply the demand. and prices will come down. Handloader109 you don't know any more than I do what the future will bring. But from what I am seeing this may be just the same as the ARs. Back when Clinton was president i bought an AK rifle for $275 brand new, wanted an AR but knew i could not afford it. Now AKs are more expensive than ARs. I do believe that if no one buys these $135 per thousand primers it will all end sooner. I don't know it is true. Just like all the news people that scream election fraud claims are baseless, they don't know any more about than you and I. Only time will tell

kerplode
01-29-2022, 09:08 PM
Hard to say how it'll shake out. I sincerely hope primers go back to ~$35/k. At the same time, I'm realistically prepared for them to stay above $50. Honestly, inflation alone may do that regardless of politics and supply.

I would have passed at $135. Full disclosure, though, I have purchased them recently for ~$75/k to bulk up shortfalls in my stock.

rancher1913
01-29-2022, 09:24 PM
IF we end up in a war, you will wish you had bought a bunch at that price. would not take much to make ammo dissapear again, if you can afford it and need it, I would not wait for better prices.

Gator 45/70
01-29-2022, 10:45 PM
Same here 20.00 per 100

45workhorse
01-29-2022, 11:35 PM
Went to a gun show today shotgun primers $100.00 per 1,000. Powder was $80-$100 a pound!
Needless to say, nothing followed me home. The show was in Aiken, South Carolina.

abunaitoo
01-30-2022, 12:29 AM
Crazy prices.
Not good

trails4u
01-30-2022, 12:34 AM
Went to a gun show today shotgun primers $100.00 per 1,000. Powder was $80-$100 a pound!
Needless to say, nothing followed me home. The show was in Aiken, South Carolina.

Was anything selling at those prices??

45workhorse
01-30-2022, 12:43 AM
None that I saw!
Me personally I thought 80% of stuff on the tables was overpriced.

RKJ
01-30-2022, 12:49 AM
I could handle $50.00 per 1000 and 45-50 per lb of powder. I'm not going to pay more. I've got plenty of hobbies and have enough to hold me and mine for awhile, so I'll sit back and wait.

trails4u
01-30-2022, 12:54 AM
I can only hope that the scalper crowd gets burned with their remaining inventory.....

Gray Fox
01-30-2022, 02:08 AM
I was at my local shop last week and paid $50 for a pound of Accurate #5. They said that their normal supplier had none and it was the best they could find. They still have no decent source of primers. The last powder I had bought there was 4# of Unique for $30/lb. back in Sept. of 20. I needed the #5 to load some .45 acp. GF

Lloyd Smale
01-30-2022, 05:42 AM
well id pass because im stocked up. If my stash got down to dangerous levels id probably buck up and pay a 100 dollars a brick. I could still load at that price level cheaper then buying ammo. That is if you can even find factory ammo.

dverna
01-30-2022, 07:59 AM
well id pass because im stocked up. If my stash got down to dangerous levels id probably buck up and pay a 100 dollars a brick. I could still load at that price level cheaper then buying ammo. That is if you can even find factory ammo.

Same here. If I needed some, then I would pony up. If I wanted some I would pass.

Some folks have a challenge with need vs want. I grew up poor and learned the difference. People who grew up with dozens of presents for Christmas seem more challenged than others.

tunnug
01-30-2022, 08:06 AM
Just got me a pound of H110, $35 at a Ace Hrw they've been pretty good on their prices, just don't know what powder will come in, keep coming in looking for 2230, i'll buy their lot (if I can swing it) when it gets in since they don't have a limit.

Shawlerbrook
01-30-2022, 08:13 AM
Agree with Lloyd and some of the others that if I was totally out I would go $100/1000. I also agree that if you are waiting for under $50/1000 you probably will be waiting forever. I may be wrong, but if you look at reputable sites like Midway, Graf’s,etc., even though they have no primers, the prices that have listed is $65/1000 and up, the new normal.

Cosmic_Charlie
01-30-2022, 08:52 AM
Powder at the lgs is running about $38/LB. No primers though for several months. Also no Alliant powder. Ammo however is much more available. That is a good sign.

dverna
01-30-2022, 08:58 AM
Agree with Lloyd and some of the others that if I was totally out I would go $100/1000. I also agree that if you are waiting for under $50/1000 you probably will be waiting forever. I may be wrong, but if you look at reputable sites like Midway, Graf’s,etc., even though they have no primers, the prices that have listed is $65/1000 and up, the new normal.

Some folks might be selling off stuff as money gets tight and realize things will not get better in the short term. Waiting to get some redundant rifles and pistols for spares. Not interested in adding calibers. Maybe add another .30/30, another .308, and a couple of Glock 22's.

Lloyd Smale
01-30-2022, 09:49 AM
don its doubtful that guns like 308s 06s 3030s 40s or 9s will be sold cheap. Guys will pay for ammo for them. Its the odd ball stuff that us handloaders like and ammo is about impossible to come by at any price you might see for sale. You might catch glock 22s for a reasonable price because of all the trade ins with police going back to 9s. Ive got three and wouldnt pass a deal on a 4th. IMO theres not a better non concealed battle pistol then a glock 22. Its the only glock i have multiples of. Well maybe another 19 if cheap would peak my interest too. But ive got enough 9s that it would have to be a heck of a deal.

Ed K
01-30-2022, 10:01 AM
Not at all interested in paying $100+ but if everything you are buying from food to building supplies is up 20-30% or more over the past couple of years it just might be time to think hard about what that new "normal" figure might be.

45workhorse
01-30-2022, 10:49 AM
Palmetto State Armory has quite a supply of ammo, at today's prices. Not cheap but somewhat reasonable. I don't need to buy factory ammo!

Wis Tom
01-30-2022, 11:10 AM
$19 a pound, for ribeye steak, $7.99 for 12 oz of bacon, $3.50 and rising for a gallon of gas, what do you expect the price of primers to do. I'm not paying $135 for primers, but remember, we have, at least, 2 and a half years left, of this and he hasn't even gotten to gun control yet. He just past his first year, in office, and I am sure there's more to come. Pay the price, and keep reloading, or take up another hobby. Seems like that is the advise given, here.

jsizemore
01-30-2022, 11:38 AM
Last weekend was the local gun show. One outfit had primers at $90/1000. The rest of the crowd had them at $100-150/1000. The $150 primers are Federal Match LR Std and Mag.

There was pistol powder around $32-34/lb and rifle for just under $40/lb.

Table prices are really high. There was only about 75% of the normal vendors.

Markopolo
01-30-2022, 11:46 AM
IF we end up in a war, you will wish you had bought a bunch at that price. would not take much to make ammo dissapear again, if you can afford it and need it, I would not wait for better prices.

I agree with this… I have a feeling if things in the Middle East or Ukrainian issues could make 130 look pretty good… but I won’t need em thank God! my house has a Moat!

jonp
01-30-2022, 01:30 PM
Free market working as it should.

Maybe but at the last gunshow I saw prices like that and no-one buying anything. Price something where you want but if you can't sell it then what good is it

rbuck351
01-30-2022, 02:28 PM
Prices will come down to what ever the value of the dollar is when supply catches up. Bidum has been getting his rear handed to him recently and it should get a lot worse for him in November. At the current inflation rate primers should come down to $40 $45 per brick and when compared to the price ammo will be it will still be much cheaper to reload and still cheaper yet to cast and reload. IF and when components come down to that level, I still won't be buying components as I have at least enough to keep me shooting at the level I want for the rest of my days and still pass on a good supply of components to my two sons.

It bothers me that many haven't seen this coming for a long time and prepared. I have never had a lot of money left at the end of the month, usually the other way around. Yet I have managed to gather what I think I need to keep my family and I need for survival.

Half the people in the world are below average and average isn't very high. I am hoping that people have woke up to the fact that what ever they think they need may not be on the shelf tomorrow. Anyone that thinks this is the last shortage is beyond hope.

Markopolo:
I have never lived on a remote island but the idea does appeal to me. I did live in Nome for 6 years and learned what is like to live in an isolated area. Things I took for granted at the stores in the UNITED States frequently weren't there when I wanted. Mail order and a few days of wait was normal as was stocking up ahead of time.
After 6 years in Nome my wife decided she had enough and told me she was moving to Anchorage and asked if I was going with her. That's why I'm not still in Nome.

rbuck351
01-30-2022, 02:43 PM
The prices at gun shows seems to be scalpers that hope to make two or three sales to desperate folks to make their table costs and a large profit. Free enterprise is a good thing. People have the right to charge what ever they want for their goods and services. People also have the right to buy or not.

mozeppa
01-30-2022, 04:07 PM

(me rolling my eyes whilst sitting on 250,000 )[smilie=s:

ACC
01-30-2022, 07:54 PM
I think $45 is realistic. But until we get rid of BiDet who knows.

He's not going to be a round long. Even the Dems are mad at him.

ACC

Lloyd Smale
01-31-2022, 05:05 AM
I agree with this… I have a feeling if things in the Middle East or Ukrainian issues could make 130 look pretty good… but I won’t need em thank God! my house has a Moat!

yup i have what some would consider a huge supply of 9s 40s 45s and 556. that said i have about 3k more 556 brass sitting there and the components to load them. thought to myself the other day. Why keep it as unassembled stash. Could come a day soon that i dont have electricity to load the crap. ya i can load it without electricity. But trimming brass and dispensing powder would make it a much tougher job and what else would i use small rifle primers and 2230 for. I think when it warms up im going to load every piece of brass in the shop.

fastdadio
01-31-2022, 06:56 AM
I think when it warms up im going to load every piece of brass in the shop.

I've been thinking the same thing. At least get it all trimmed and primed.

Good Cheer
01-31-2022, 11:40 AM
So... getting a rifled barrel for the 1816 musket is a money saving investment.

Texas by God
01-31-2022, 12:03 PM
I've been thinking the same thing. At least get it all trimmed and primed.Same here as you and Lloyd. I've got .300BO squared away; .30 Carbine and .223 still to go.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

KCSO
01-31-2022, 12:08 PM
At our local show in January a fellow walked in with 1000 L/P primers and was asking 250 dollars and went home without them!!!
I thought he was crazy. but he was not alone!

JoeJames
01-31-2022, 01:01 PM
So... getting a rifled barrel for the 1816 musket is a money saving investment.

I traded with my cousin for an original 1861 US Springfield Norwich Contract rifled musket. He said he'd throw in some musket caps and 58 caliber maxi balls. At first I declined, but then thought to myself, "who knows but that it might come down to that"; so I took 'em.

shooterg
01-31-2022, 01:18 PM
My SWAG is $75/1000 is as good as it'll get and I'll start buying 5K at a time again when it gets there . Another year of Biteme and that $75 will be worth no more than $50 ayear ago .
But as far as shooting goes - another 5 cents a shot would not stop me. I have plenty but the Action shooters here have just stopped !
And these include some who'd show up finishing their $6 cuppa Joe ! Some folks priorities are just different.

warren5421
01-31-2022, 02:08 PM
I am looking hard a flintlock rifle kit by Jim Kibler, primer is a rock shaped for $2.50 giving 100 or more shots. If you have to you can make black powder to shoot it, not what I would want to do , but!

Baltimoreed
01-31-2022, 02:08 PM
At 71 I’m going to do some shooting this year. What am I saving it for? Rather than a single cas match/month I’m planning to pick up a zsa or second cas match [at another cas club]. I should have enough primers for 3-4 years of matches with very limited practice assuming that I don’t pick up any more. Swapped off 2 bricks of cci spp and one of srp for 3 bricks of cci lpp. Planning to use srp in my cas and .45acp pistol/revolver loads and lpp in my cas rifle loads to stretch out my lpp stash.

Gator 45/70
02-01-2022, 05:24 PM
1#Varget today locally 49.99
8# IMR 4350 $314.99

jim 44-40
02-01-2022, 07:08 PM
Picked up 1000 musket caps for $30.00 at a Pa gunshow early January. I was happy with that price since other dealers online are asking stupid prices.

.45Cole
02-03-2022, 01:21 AM
I went to a gun show in ID I figured would be bad and it didn't disappoint. I would ask the guys how the show was and they say bad, disappointing, and mad nobody is buying. They are selling .22's for over $50/300 and shotgun shells for over $13/box of bird shot. The walmarts around are more often than not keeping a few boxes of .22's and shotgun shells on the shelf for less than $30 for .22s and $9/box for shotgun shells. The guys selling guns are selling anything they can get their hands on, but know very little about what they are selling except the price - firm.

People stock up on ammo until it's not popular anymore and then it goes to estate sale or dealer buyout when they pass. You'll be able to buy things on the cheap once everyone stocked up gets too full. The ammo, brass, primer, powder mfgs aren't stopping but increasing production. Record prices are met with record production.

It's too bad what a lot of "shooters" are doing to the sport, their greed is ultimately killing the sport as younger people see shooting sports as a rich man's hobby full of greedy people. I see shooting sports declining because of the actions of the people in the shooting sports.

To highlight I asked a gunshow seller about a BSS he had, he knew it was a browning but not the gauge, then not the barrel lengths, we measured and then he didn't know the chokes or how to identify (short barrels are always IC/M and long barrels are always M/F, or you can look at the stamps). But he knew it was worth $2600 and wasn't backing off at all! My father purchased his BSS 12/26" for $1000 and I purchased one for $600 (12/28") both in late 2021.

Cosmic_Charlie
02-03-2022, 11:56 AM
We have a show coming up this weekend.

Cosmic_Charlie
02-03-2022, 11:59 AM
Picked up 1000 musket caps for $30.00 at a Pa gunshow early January. I was happy with that price since other dealers online are asking stupid prices.

Yeah, the cap situation has kept me from buying a ML. A flinter with a quality lock work is expensive.....

DDriller
02-03-2022, 12:33 PM
Gun shop I deal with offered me $200/1000 for spp for 2 cases 5 months ago. He knew I had more than enough and said he needed them.

1hole
02-04-2022, 04:34 PM
I can only hope that the scalper crowd gets burned with their remaining inventory.....

Gougers have never bothered me because I will NOT be raped by any of them but every man has his own priorities. A few of us obviously think shooting/reloading gives meaning to life; such people are fresh meat for gougers but it's their money so that's okay by me.

It's long been said that a fool and his money are soon parted. Meaning someone is surely going to get a fool's money anyway so why not let the gougers have it? However, they won't get mine, because I'm not a one dimensional man.

I love my life and enjoy many things, including guns, hunting, shooting AND reloading, but I'm not foolish about it so no gouger is going to get large chunks of MY money. I know some much better places for my money to go than that and I think a LOT of good men agree with me.