PDA

View Full Version : Old Springer Back in the Starting Lineup

chutesnreloads
01-29-2022, 05:42 PM
Those who read this section regularly will know I recently acquired my 1st PCP. Yes I'm still liking it BUT.....
I'm uncomfortable with its power for back yard pesting. Even at lowest power setting it shoots clean through squirrels
to the point I'm passing shots I would have taken with the springer.
A few months back I stumbled on a couple youtube videos improving Crosman triggers using a bearing made for
little remote control cars. It's a simple job and cheap. The bearings are only $1.25 each.
My biggest grouch with this rifle has always been the trigger. It can be lightened but the pull is loooooooong.
I've developed two techniques for shooting this gun. It's Benjamin "Nitro Piston" gas spring type gun BTW.
First is the normal squeeze of the trigger with its problematic long pull. You get setup all the usual body position,
hold, cheek weld, sight alignment, ....... breath control. With that looooong unpredictable trigger You run out of
oxygen and have to take a few breaths and start over. If you keep your hold on the trigger the second try will
get you a precise shot. Fine and dandy shooting at paper targets but critters don't hold still all day for you to
shoot them. Often a squirrel will sit still a while thinking he's hidden but you can't count on that.
Second technique is to shoot it like a double action or striker fired handgun. This works well but near doubles
group sizes. Still you can shoot minute of squirrel brain at the distances in my yard. But I don't like it.
This little bearing sits on a pin and essentially takes up all that slack in the trigger. Wish I'd done it back when
first seeing it. The pull weight feels about the same but there's only a little take up before the trigger breaks.
While deciding what to do about getting a PCP, I'd picked up a nice scope and found a pellet the gun liked
even better than what it'd been shooting. Sure it still has the POI changes depending on hold but that's
been worked out pretty much over the years to be predictable.
So, it's back in my starting lineup for squirrel punching