PDA

View Full Version : Would you shoot an unfired Vintage Colt Python?

Photog
01-29-2022, 03:29 PM
Like the title states, gimme your .02 on shooting a never fired 1979 4" Royal blue Python.

For me, since I have one in the safe, I think about making it my primary wheelgun. I love the size of it; I have 4 k-frames and a N-frame, and a couple small revos, so I have an appreciation of different sizes. I love 38/357; I find it plenty for any pistol/carbine application - pretty much anything from 1 to 100 yds. I handload for pistol, and rifle from 9mm to 30-06, and lots in between, but I really enjoy casting and loading and shooting 38 the most.

I used to shoot/own a 6" python and traded it back to my father long ago. What stops me from from using the '79 is its value - I turned down $2200 for it about 5 years ago, I got no idea what they are going for now.

I carry (when I carry - not all the time) a S&W 15-3 in a Hunter Field leather holster on a cartridge belt for my daily forest dog run. I cringe at the thought of carrying the Python like that, but then I think about it just sitting in the safe, and I believe that guns were made to be used. And 38spl will do everything I want, I find no need for 357. The Model 15 4" is IMO an ideal open carry gun, its not like I NEED to carry or even shoot the Python. But man, its a thing of beauty in both form and function.

Would you shoot it? Carry it? Or just appreciate it as a thing of beauty and fondle it once a year?

Der Gebirgsjager
01-29-2022, 03:49 PM
Always a tough call, as you are experiencing. It's really entirely up to you, and your values. If it is truly pristine, any shooting and carrying it will reduce the value to that of a used one. As the Python is in production again, and arguably in a somewhat improved version, you could likely sell your original and purchase a new model and feel less guilty about using it. But you should also consider that guns are made to be used, and despite their resale value being lessened by use, they have a value to the user/owner that can't really be calculated beyond self-satisfaction.

Were it mine, I think that I would sell it as-is and buy a new stainless version. They won't make any more of exactly what you've got, and a Colt collector would really treasure it; while at the same time you would have a new Python to use for carrying and shooting. But, that's just me, and only you can decide. Individual likes and tastes are very....well,...individual! Personally, I had friends with Pythons "back in the day" but never liked them as well as the 6" S&W Mod. 19.

DG

GOPHER SLAYER
01-29-2022, 03:49 PM
I have the same feelings for three revolvers I have. A two- inch Colt Special Agent a S&W Model 29 and a 4-inch Colt Diamondback. The best carry gun I ever had was a S&W three- inch model 15 with a square butt. I traded that one. I never saw another.

elmacgyver0
01-29-2022, 03:58 PM
Rich man's pleasure.
Any guns I own, I shoot, if they're shootable.

Daekar
01-29-2022, 04:01 PM
Sell it and buy a new one you won't feel bad about shooting.

A gun you can't shoot is a pointless paperweight.

Four-Sixty
01-29-2022, 04:06 PM
My test would be, if you died tomorrow, would you be angrier that you didn't get your money out of it, or angrier you did not spend time shooting it?

Buzz Krumhunger
01-29-2022, 04:11 PM
“Were it mine, I think that I would sell it as-is and buy a new stainless version.”

My thoughts exactly. You could probably buy 2 new ones with the proceeds, a 3”, and a 4” or 6”.

Shawlerbrook
01-29-2022, 04:12 PM
If I had something else that would do what’s needed, I would probably sell it and buy something else I’d shoot. But that’s another one that only you can answer.

DougGuy
01-29-2022, 04:39 PM
43 years and it's still unfired? I would carry on the tradition! There are always shooters to be had, value for the unfired Python will continue to escalate. I would NOT shoot it, or turn it for that matter.

Carrier
01-29-2022, 04:52 PM
43 years and it's still unfired? I would carry on the tradition! There are always shooters to be had, value for the unfired Python will continue to escalate. I would NOT shoot it, or turn it for that matter.

Me too.

rintinglen
01-29-2022, 05:03 PM
Six rounds would peel about a grand off the value of the gun. That's about 166 2/3 bucks a shot. You do what you want: it's your revolver. If it were mine, I'd sell it and buy either a new model, or a shooter grade classic one. I have two, both shooters.

dverna
01-29-2022, 05:06 PM

The correct and intelligent answer....or maybe wise answer is a better way to put it.

If I was wealthy, and did not care about the value of it, I would shoot it. I only know a handful of people that wealthy.

Bigslug
01-29-2022, 05:16 PM
Probably a $5000 gun now. Let it be.

As pretty as it has the possibility to be, bluing ain't a great finish for a working firearm, especially in light of what we can make or coat guns with now. As such, we are probably NEVER going to see the like of the work Colt put into finishing a Python again.

We need a few of those pristine examples scattered around the world to remind us of what we used to be.

NSB
01-29-2022, 05:28 PM
I’d shoot it and never give it a thought. Is this your 401k? Sounds like the guy who puts seat covers in his car so the next guy has nice seats.

wwmartin
01-29-2022, 05:36 PM
I shot my new 6" from 1980 until the S&W 686 came out . Lots! It was a $380 gun back then. About twice the price of a S&W 19.
I bought a 6" 686 ($210) when they became available and retired the python.
If it were mine I'd look for a 586/686 to shoot and put the python in the safe. If it ain't eating groceries.

Bill

Char-Gar
01-29-2022, 05:36 PM
I do not acquire guns as an investment or to collect. I am a shooter, so I would shoot it. I find it strange that the OP asked the question. Doesn't he know why he acquired the revolver?

fastdadio
01-29-2022, 05:39 PM
Add my vote to the "sell it and buy a shooter" opinion.

dogrunner
01-29-2022, 06:15 PM
Tolerate no virgins!!!

TNsailorman
01-29-2022, 06:20 PM
Everyone spends his money as he pleases as far as I am concerned. But as for me, I will not own a gun that I do not intend to shoot. I have sold more than one gun because it was too "pretty to shoot" or was a "collector piece". Just my way and not binding on anyone, james

Rapier
01-29-2022, 06:52 PM
Do what you want but do not carry it. If anything happens, it will disappear into the system. Carry your Smith

Thin Man
01-29-2022, 07:53 PM
As others have said, sell the one you have now and then buy what you want to carry and shoot. The fly in the ointment is that you will have to determine your selling price, then find that willing buyer who will take it at your price. Best of luck to you.

Winger Ed.
01-29-2022, 08:10 PM
Do what you want but do not carry it. If anything happens, it will disappear into the system. Carry your Smith

^^ this^^
I don't carry anything I wouldn't mind losing or not getting back as it became 'evidence'.

If I never planned to sell it-- I'd shoot it.
Sure... It'd be worth more unfired for my my heirs to sell, but I figure if they really wanted an unfired one---
They can do what I did,,,,, save up, and buy one.

Ithaca Gunner
01-29-2022, 08:24 PM
I'd shoot it every chance I got to go to the range with it!..And carry it too.

Hossfly
01-29-2022, 08:35 PM
SWMBO had an uncle that bought guns for investment, never shot them, died at 57 yo. I shoot everything I’ve got.

Photog
01-29-2022, 09:37 PM
Interesting, I never said that I needed the money, or even thought about selling it. I turned down a firm offer when I was selling a bunch of guns at a gun show (I was the ONLY private party selling guns at the show), back when the collection was out of control. I inherited the Python, so its didn't cost me much, just my father. :-(
Every 6 months to year I pull it out of of the safe and oil it with a light coat of T-9. Much as I love to fondle it, I just can;t justify shooting it - yet.

murf205
01-29-2022, 09:45 PM
I'd put it back in the safe-UNTURNED. A 4" Royal Blue Python unfired with the paperwork and box SOLD this week on Going Broker for over $10,000. Oh yeah, I forgot. It was an Elite from the custom shop. Buy a S&W 586/686 for under a grand and be happy. It will likely have better throat to bore measurements anyway. My .02 cents but I am a S&W junkie. BTW Photog, I have 2 guns I wont turn or shoot. Not because they are ultra rare but because they were so pristine when I got them. I can't blame you for your quandary, but I have a son and grandson with guns in their blood to leave my stash to.

zymguy
01-29-2022, 09:48 PM
Sell it and buy a new one you won't feel bad about shooting.

A gun you can't shoot is a pointless paperweight.

I agree with this

JimB..
01-29-2022, 09:56 PM
Hmm, tough decisions. Assume that money isn’t an issue, and it was dad’s gun. It kinda comes down to not selling it because of the history and then deciding when you feel it’s time to shoot it.

Easy enough to buy a shooter instead, and maybe you should just to see how you like it, but it’ll never be dad’s gun.

Texas by God
01-29-2022, 10:02 PM
I would shoot it, then eject the empties and hand it back to you- with my thanks![emoji16]

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Tar Heel
01-29-2022, 11:53 PM
Shoot it. Shoot it tomorrow. If you shoot it on Sunday - it doesn't count.

bimus
01-30-2022, 12:03 AM
There is nothing like the feeling of pulling the hammer back and pulling the trigger on a fine colt by not shooting it your missing out .

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-30-2022, 12:15 AM
Shoot it !

I have two minty S&W revolvers that date to the 70s, both were acquired NIB about 8-10 years ago from a collector's widow. I shoot 'em whenever I get the itch to shoot something more classy than a scratched up Dan Wesson or Ruger :P

trails4u
01-30-2022, 12:32 AM
Do you assign financial value to it, or is the value more your connection to your father? Do you have children/grandchildren that would also appreciate it as a potential future family heirloom, leaving it unturned/untouched? These are the questions that come to my mind. If you're looking for a connection to your father, shoot it. My guess is it would please him..... If you have kids/grandkids that can appreciate it for what it is, and also appreciate the family connection....then maybe just hold onto it. I would never sell it. Ever.

Murphy
01-30-2022, 12:43 AM
If you fear you'll have remorse shooting it, then don't. Keep it as you have and let your heir(s) decide what to do with it. Of course the other option, is putting it up for sale and using the money for something else. I have a sneaky feeling if you do sell it, you'll wind up with seller's remorse. Just my 2˘ worth.

Murphy

M-Tecs
01-30-2022, 12:55 AM
I would not fire it but I will not own any firearms I will not shoot unless it was purchased solely to turn and make a profit.

The value has gone down the last couple of years in this area. Not sure if that related or not to the new version being available.

Two years ago nice ones were selling for $3,500 in this area. Last I checked a local shop had a 98% one for $1,999.99. It's been there for close to 6 months. If it's still there next time I stop I will offer $1,500 with &1,650 being my max.

You stated that you want to make it your primary gun. Just keep in mind that the Pythons have a bad rep. for going out of time if you shoot a lot of double action.

Lloyd Smale
01-30-2022, 05:39 AM
if it were mine it would have been sold long ago. Sorry but im just not a fan of pythons. Had two and didnt hold on to them long. Even if they were the same price id take a K or L frame smith any day over a python. If I was in your position id sell it buy two nice smiths and a bunch of ammo or components. Ive never owned or will ever own a gun that id be leary of shooting. All my guns have the snot shot out of them. Thats the fun in owning a gun. Not putting on white gloves and holding them out for my buddys to see. Even my 2-3000 dollar linebaughs had the snot shot out of them. Heck i bird and rabbit hunt with a side lock browning side by side thats worth easily as much. Lifes to short to let a gun sit in the safe that will probably be passed on to someone when i die that will either shoot it or sell it.

GhostHawk
01-30-2022, 08:04 AM
Comes down to what seems to me a simple choice.

A its unfired value which you probably have a much better idea of than I do.

B Its utility as an EDC gun.
Something to carry, shoot, and enjoy.

Which is worth more to you?

Do you value the money more? Or do you value the gun with all its mystique and utility.

I think both are solid choices. A also adds a few other options. Like finding a lightly used model and carry THAT one. Letting the unfired one pay for everything. Or, hang it on the wall and enjoy the satisfaction of watching people drool over it.

Your call.

Outer Rondacker
01-30-2022, 08:33 AM
Heck yes, and NO you will not change my mind.

sharps4590
01-30-2022, 09:10 AM
If it had been my Dad's revolver, it would be kept in the condition I received it from him. If it had been shot, I'd shoot it. If not, I wouldn't. But, I'm very sentimental about Dad.

If it was something else, I'd sell it and get something I like....and for me, that wouldn't be a Python.

Divil
01-30-2022, 09:39 AM
If I wasn’t trying to flip it then Yes. I don’t own guns I don’t shoot.

georgerkahn
01-30-2022, 09:51 AM
Like the title states, gimme your .02 on shooting a never fired 1979 4" Royal blue Python.

For me, since I have one in the safe, I think about making it my primary wheelgun. I love the size of it; I have 4 k-frames and a N-frame, and a couple small revos, so I have an appreciation of different sizes. I love 38/357; I find it plenty for any pistol/carbine application - pretty much anything from 1 to 100 yds. I handload for pistol, and rifle from 9mm to 30-06, and lots in between, but I really enjoy casting and loading and shooting 38 the most.

I used to shoot/own a 6" python and traded it back to my father long ago. What stops me from from using the '79 is its value - I turned down $2200 for it about 5 years ago, I got no idea what they are going for now.

I carry (when I carry - not all the time) a S&W 15-3 in a Hunter Field leather holster on a cartridge belt for my daily forest dog run. I cringe at the thought of carrying the Python like that, but then I think about it just sitting in the safe, and I believe that guns were made to be used. And 38spl will do everything I want, I find no need for 357. The Model 15 4" is IMO an ideal open carry gun, its not like I NEED to carry or even shoot the Python. But man, its a thing of beauty in both form and function.

Would you shoot it? Carry it? Or just appreciate it as a thing of beauty and fondle it once a year?

A couple of things which came to my feeble and failing brain: 1st, I assume all firearms are test fired by factory -- in my state a wee brown envelope accompanies all new handguns with a fired case inside. 2nd, How would one KNOW the firearm functions if it was not fired? 3rd, To my way of thinking, reasonable firing with reasonable, moderate loads would be MY actions with this revolver. And 4th, I'd be most meticulous re POST-SHOOTING cleaning -- in my years I actually have seen a few firearms much more ruined by over-zealous cleaning attempts than from any shooting.
To directly respond to your last question, I'd "appreciate...fondle.." as oft' as I could -- but, again, God willing be able to take it to range on a nice, weather-wise, day; hopefully make some holes in the centres of a few targets; and, even bring the targets (with date and loads written on them) home to store with the Python. Just me :)!
geo

Finster101
01-30-2022, 09:59 AM
If you have any thoughts of selling it I would not shoot it. If you want a shooter grade Python. Sell it, take half the money and buy a nice shooter grade and have money left to play with something else.

Just read after I posted above that it was your father's. Sentimental value is a big reason many of us keep and have things we will never use or use things that others would not consider using. I understand as I have a couple of my dad's guns and a couple from and older friend both of whom have passed on. They will be with me till I'm gone.

johniv
01-30-2022, 10:10 AM
I'd shoot it.

fivegunner
01-30-2022, 10:14 AM
I would shoot the heck out it, Life is to short

contender1
01-30-2022, 10:34 AM
Well, I do understand the folks who say; "Shoot it",, or "Guns were made to be shot",, etc. Yet,, most of them are also the same kind of folks who enjoy seeing or handling an old, out of production, excellent condition firearm with the same softness reserved for their first child. (Imagine someone handing you a pristine Henry rifle,, for example.)
As there were X numbers of guns made,, and they are no longer made or made the way they were back when,, it comes down to a few thoughts. As more & more are shot, used, abused, stolen, confiscated, sold to guvment buy-backs, destroyed, lost etc,, the truly pristine ones become more & more valuable. Throw in the family connection, and the sentimental value is another factor. You mentioned that money wasn't a factor, & you have turned down a fair sum,, plus it has appreciated in value even more since then. This points to the scarcity of such a fine gun.

Douguy made a simple but powerful statement.

I'm a shooter AND a collector. I try to enjoy collecting fine examples of what I prefer,, as well as having the same gun in a "shooter grade" that someone else has already de-valued it by use and or abuse. I like to think of my collection as a means of passing along preserved pieces of history,, (I also do displays at shows,) all while knowing I can trust my investment is more secure & better than any bank or 401k stuff. And by having a shooter,, I enjoy the pleasures of such fine guns.

There have been a few posters who've touched upon a serious point of discussion.

Carrying & potentially having to use your carry gun in a self defense situation. Carrying, can,, AND WILL put wear on any firearm. Value decreases. But gosh forbid,, if you have to use a firearm in self defense,, it WILL be confiscated,, and it will get ABUSED in a police lock-up. And even if you are cleared,, often,, the "evidence" is lost or misplaced or whatever. Just plain GONE. Even worse,, sometimes in some states,, the judicial system demands the destruction of such guns. So,, carrying a rarer or valuable handgun can be a risky thing.
I carry a modern, easily found, bottom feeding semi-auto in .45 acp. It's got plenty of "character" from carrying,, and if it gets locked up,, I'm not out a fine collectable handgun that's hard to replace. Yet,, it's a quality handgun I can rest assured will work if I truly NEED it.

So, my humble 0.02 cents worth is to not shoot it,, find a friend with that model to get the feel of shooting one if that's your desire. Then,, if you truly want one to carry some & shoot some,, you can maybe buy a new version, or hunt up a less than pristine gun just like your gun. You did mention that money wasn't the issue,, so use a little money,, and invest in a second one.

JoeJames
01-30-2022, 10:38 AM
"And 38spl will do everything I want, I find no need for 357." I agree with you. I have a S&W Model 66 and a Python. Never have shot 357 Magnums in either one - well, the Python is a safe queen like yours. This may be a case of do as I say not as I do, but you might consider trading the pristine Python for a shooter grade Diamondback. I have never shot much in the 66 after I got a good S&W Model 67 in 38 Special.

poppy42
01-30-2022, 11:46 AM
A gun is a tool. Tools are meant to be used. Like other’s have said an unloaded, unfired gun is little more than an expensive brick. Shoot it!

Hanzy4200
01-30-2022, 07:33 PM
I wouldn't. I would sell it, but I'm not a Colt collector.

FergusonTO35
01-30-2022, 08:14 PM
A Python of any vintage won't do a single darn thing better for me than my faithful old S&W 10-5. Leave it unfired and in the safe 'til Colt goes bankrupt again, then sell it for an incredible sum. Then smile and buy all the user grade guns you want.

charlie b
01-30-2022, 08:48 PM
This is a complex question. I also inherited an older Python, but, it was well used by me and my father-in-law before he gave it to me. He wanted it to be used.

But, if your father kept it in mint condition then he had a reason. If it was to be something to look at and be admired, then I would carry on his wishes. If he planned on using it and never had the chance then you have to answer the second part of the question. Is it worth it to you to keep it as a sentimental keepsake. What would your father advise you do do with it?

If I wanted a pistol just to shoot I'd find something different. When I shoot mine a lot as a combat piece it takes a beating. Every now and then (more often than I'd like) I have to take it to a GOOD gunsmith to have it tuned back up. As a pure target pistol it needs little upkeep in that regard.

Idaho45guy
01-30-2022, 10:41 PM
Shooting it will instantly cost you about $1000 in value. Carrying it for CCW will cost you thousands more.

It makes zero sense to destroy such a rare and beautiful firearm. And what I mean by destroying is that it is currently a mint, un-fired, Colt Python. Once you load up a cylinder and shoot it, it is no longer a mint, un-fired Colt Python. It's still mint, and still a Colt Python, but no longer nearly as rare and valuable.

They make new ones, now. Buy one of those...

https://www.colt.com/series/PYTHON_SERIES

Anyone advocating shooting it and carrying it have no appreciation for fine and rare firearms. If they did, they wouldn't be advocating the destruction of such a rare and excellent example of one.

Eddie Southgate
01-30-2022, 10:47 PM
I wouldn't own it if I was afraid to shoot it .

unclemikeinct
01-30-2022, 11:16 PM
Man U R in a tough spot. That is w the original box? A real treasure north of 3 large. Take it from me I have bought & sold a few Python's. I only regret selling my first one. a 1972 4" model w two sets of sights vintage very clean & an excellent shooter. I sold an engraved unfired 6" w presentation case model 1976 Bicentennial unfluted cylinder & smooth rosewood grips. Couple of others. It is not that you won't shoot it. You too have family & cutting the value to yourself or family by firing it is not smart poker. Use your best judgement. The unfired Engraved one I sold I do not miss. I hope that helps you. It is a valuable asset as is, just to hold. unclemikeinct

Ed K
01-31-2022, 08:40 AM
1. Shoot it and cherish it (if the sentimental value is too great to part with).
2. Sell it.

I would not shoot it & carry it. Not shooting and keeping is not really an option for me as I always eventually sell such as piece.

charlie b
01-31-2022, 10:41 AM
Anyone advocating shooting it and carrying it have no appreciation for fine and rare firearms. If they did, they wouldn't be advocating the destruction of such a rare and excellent example of one.

If there were no sentimental issues I would agree. But, if my father had one he wanted to shoot and never did I'd take it to the range and shoot it. Then I'd go home and raise a glass in his honor (vodka martini, very dry with onions). Yes, the 'hit' in value would be worth it to me.

pworley1
01-31-2022, 11:22 AM
A pistol you can't shoot might as well be a rock.

Wayne Smith
01-31-2022, 04:27 PM
A pistol you can't shoot might as well be a rock.

Hardly, unless the rock is a gem and investment! A Python in box unfired is a collector's item even if you are not a collector. Since it was your Dad's you might want to keep it just for that reason. Maintaining value is fundamental to any investment and this is one even if you never intended to be, what it is determines it being an investment. It's like you inherited some valuable stock - sell or keep? Depends on the stock and it's continuing value, just like any investment.

murf205
01-31-2022, 05:35 PM
Photog, If you decide to carry the Python, you should(or at least I would) shoot it at least enough to check for function. I know it is a fine revolver and I would bet my last $ that it would go bang when it needs to. But I'll tell you this story about a little 9mm I carried for over a year as a pocket gun and I bought it new. One day before bringing it into my house, I unloaded it and pulled the trigger to dry fire it at the ground. Well, whadya know, it wouldn't shoot, the pull of the trigger brought the hammer back and the release of the trigger allowed the hammer to gently fall back down. Imagine the consequences that could have! Evidently the last time I shot that gun it broke on the last shot. So....you are right back to the original question. I know you are wrestling with a decision and your dad is in your mind as you do. You have received a myriad of answers by a lot of well meaning people-me included- but only you can decide the right answer for you. Some where there is a deep pocketed Colt collector licking his chops

am44mag
01-31-2022, 10:56 PM
I would sell it and buy a used, but still really nice vintage Python to shoot and pocket the difference. I have not heard good things about the new Python, and Colt is nowhere near what they used to be.

Edit: Just saw that it has sentimental value. It that value is greater than the value of the gun, then keep it and do what you want with it. Whether you shoot it or not is your choice, and there is no wrong answer.

dogdoc
02-01-2022, 09:07 AM
Life is so short . Shoot it and take care of it. That’s what I do with some collectible stuff I have. Unless you have for investment or something. You will never wear it out.

Jaaymar
02-01-2022, 11:34 AM
If you sell it buy something your father would appreciate.
A Korth, NightHawk, Manurhin MR73, etc.
You know, trade up.

If it has sentimental value and cannot be sold, treat it like the memory deserves.
I never could afford a gun that I couldn’t use so, I cannot encourage you to shoot it or keep it in the condition it was received, never had to make that choice.
If I could afford it I would carry a Korth Mongoose.

dverna
02-01-2022, 11:37 AM
This is a complex question. I also inherited an older Python, but, it was well used by me and my father-in-law before he gave it to me. He wanted it to be used.

But, if your father kept it in mint condition then he had a reason. If it was to be something to look at and be admired, then I would carry on his wishes. If he planned on using it and never had the chance then you have to answer the second part of the question. Is it worth it to you to keep it as a sentimental keepsake. What would your father advise you do do with it?

If I wanted a pistol just to shoot I'd find something different. When I shoot mine a lot as a combat piece it takes a beating. Every now and then (more often than I'd like) I have to take it to a GOOD gunsmith to have it tuned back up. As a pure target pistol it needs little upkeep in that regard.

A good post...maybe because these are my feelings as well.

I45G makes a valid point. There are so few of those guns that turning it into a "shooter" seems a travesty...at least to me. I suppose if I shot well enough to take advantage of any accuracy advantage the Python has, I might think differently. But my 686+ is a far better gun and I am a shooter, and it is not expensive or rare. For putting holes in paper and ringing steel it does a fine job for a lot less $$$.

When I downsized I sold a Free Pistol my mom had given me almost 50 years ago. I had not shot it in decades, so it was one of those "useless" guns. It is the only gun I wish I had not sold. I would never have used it, as I can no longer shoot well enough, but I feel I disrespected my mom by getting rid of it. Not all guns are "just tools".

Baltimoreed
02-01-2022, 11:44 AM
No, that’s why I buy shooters.

charlie b
02-01-2022, 11:54 AM
....When I downsized I sold a Free Pistol my mom had given me almost 50 years ago. I had not shot it in decades, so it was one of those "useless" guns. It is the only gun I wish I had not sold. I would never have used it, as I can no longer shoot well enough, but I feel I disrespected my mom by getting rid of it. Not all guns are "just tools".

You can never tell when sentimental issues will kick in. Way too many variables. I know what guns my father-in-law valued the most (and why) and those are the ones we have kept. My dad's only pistol was handed down years ago. The rest of our guns are kept only if we use them on a regular basis. An example was a 1903 Colt my mother-in-law gave me as a gift. I know why she gave it to me so I had no problem selling it when I stopped shooting it.

Guns I have bought have come and gone depending on if I use them. I have a couple of pistols I am about to sell just because I don't use them anymore. Maybe buy something else, maybe not :)

Baltimoreed
02-01-2022, 12:11 PM
Made the mistake of trading off a Colt Officer’s ACP that my wife bought for me. She was not impressed. Traded it for a custom .17 caliber Martini that was absolutely beautiful but I couldn’t get it to shoot. It got traded for a 625 Smith that is a tack driver and I’ll never sell. So it worked out. I’ve since bought a Detonics Combat Master that is a much better 1911 snubnose than the little colt officers acp ever was.

Golfswithwolves
02-01-2022, 05:08 PM
Yes I would.

Winger Ed.
02-01-2022, 05:25 PM
You can never tell when sentimental issues will kick in. Way too many variables.

Very true.
I inherited my grandfather's top break S&W he carried when he drove freight wagons in the Texas Hill Country as a young man.
This is also the guy who was too old to be drafted in WWI.
I enjoyed it for 30 years or so and passed it on to one of my cousins who will appreciate it way more than my kids ever would.

Same thing with my other Grandfather's old Colt Police Positive he carried as a lawman for 30-40 years.
And most of my Dad's guns have been passed on to my sister.

At this point in History:
I'm left to stressing out about what to do with some of my own treasured guns
to be sure they don't end up in a pawn shop after I'm gone.

Cosmic_Charlie
02-02-2022, 12:02 PM
Yes, I would shoot the heck out of it. Or maybe sell it and get a Freedom Arms.

Old Caster
02-02-2022, 10:54 PM
I would not shoot it. I have an N frame 44 that is a one of 12 of a thousand with silver engraving on it and the cylinder has never even turned so there is no ring on the cylinder. I have an Anaconda and a Ruger SBH in 44 magnum too so I can shoot them or one of my other 90 or so guns. It is neat to have and show to others as it is really pretty. I just wish I had the other 10 that were originally in the group. I had the model 66 too and gave it to my friend when he turned 70 because I knew he lusted after it and since I was never going to have have the other 10, it didn't matter and it was shot a lot.

Targa
02-03-2022, 09:35 AM
I wouldn’t shoot it but I would keep it and buy a new one that isn’t going gain any value for my shooter.

truckerdave397
02-03-2022, 10:29 AM
I had an 8 inch Python unfired in the original box. I sold it 3 years ago for 3K. Probably could have got more for it but it went to a good home. A young fellow about 30 years old that still has not shot it. I paid $450 for it back in the 90s. The gun was made in 1981. No regrets here.

.22-10-45
02-03-2022, 06:56 PM
go ahead and shoot and enjoy it..besides when you are gone, some lucky sucker is going to get a deal because your wife will sell it for what you told her you paid for it!

long_arm
02-03-2022, 09:08 PM
Hard call.
I have a number of old S&W revolvers that have been fired for a half century or more. It makes carrying them in the field perfectly enjoyable. They are superbly accurate and the honest wear is a plus in that I don't have to baby them or worry about them while hiking and camping.

On the other hand I just bought a new to me 29-2 that had a total of three rounds fired from it after it left the factory. I know the seller quite well and he bought it new back in the day, fired three rounds in his driveway, And put it into the safe. Hardly had a turn ring on the cylinder. I thought about selling it... And then I thought again.

This will now be my gun all the way till the end. I intend to put as many rounds through it as I can while my eyesight holds out.

MT Gianni
02-04-2022, 04:21 PM
If you loaded your gun and handed it to me I would shoot it. If it were mine I would recognize that there may be no better time to sell than now, irregardless of what the original owners wishes were. They're dead, live your life.

bisleyfan41
02-04-2022, 11:25 PM
That's the thing. Way too many folks stressing themselves out over a material possession. It's a gun. Your relative will not come back and haunt you for shooting "their" gun. Heck, it's not their gun. They simply were a custodian for a period of time.

Some above are worried about their own guns and their fate after they're gone? Why? You're dead. Who cares. If you never shoot this pristine gun, somebody will at some point. Unless the gungrabbers get it first. And wouldn't that be the greater crime? A mint Python that the govt melts down....unfired because every owner it had was scared to reduce its value. An unfired gun is an item with unfulfilled purpose. It was designed to be shot. Shoot it. And enjoy it. The guns value is only relevant if you sell it. If you're gonna keep it because of family history, value doesn't matter.

You have your dad's gun and I bet he'd be smiling every time you pulled the trigger and remember him. Personally, I'd sell it only because I have low regard for the Python and other Colt DAs as well. They sure are shiny, but they've got soft internals, go out of time easily, and there are few smiths around qualified enough to properly service them.

Your gun, your choice. Guns are personal, they evoke emotion. They are fine tools and provide a pride of ownership. Don't lose sight that they are just things, things of this world that will all go away at some point. Let's not over romanticize them. YMMV

Handloader109
02-05-2022, 08:08 PM
I let my dad's bring home luger go to my nephew when my mom passed with the condition he not selling and pass it to his son. I've only a daughter and most probably won't have kids. I would probably not shoot it if I were leaving to an heir.
But if that were not the case,. I would for sure shoot it or sell it. That would be the choice. Now carry? no way. But if I kept it, it would be shot, at least some and occasionally. It was made to shoot, not just keep in a box.
I can't imagine owning a gun I wouldn't shoot at least a few rounds through.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk