PDA

View Full Version : Where do the MP Mold E-clips go?

BP Dave
01-29-2022, 11:23 AM
I got a hollow base MP mold a while back--it casts great bullets. It came with a bunch of E-clips that fit on the hollow base guide pins, but not enough of them for all of the pins. The mold came with no instructions on which guide pins should have E-clips and which shouldn't. Pictures posted from users on the 'net haven't helped much--some put them on the top row, some on the bottom row, and some, in the same series of photos, show them on the top row and then on the bottom row. Because the mold opens in a "V" only the clips at the furthest end of the mold seem to actually touch the mold when it opens (unless the pins are different lengths, I guess--I haven't noticed that they are).

So, where are the E-clips supposed to go? And if it's free-form, are some places better than others?

--DJ

daengmei
01-29-2022, 12:16 PM
There are two guide pins that can take an Eclip for each cavity. Only 1 clip per cavity does it. I don't see how top or bottom matter a bit.

Wheelguns 1961
01-29-2022, 01:39 PM
You can buy more e clips at a hardware store. Sometimes they come off when tapping on the mold. I put 2 on every cavity. If you only use one, and it comes off, sometimes the whole pin assembly will slide out of the mold. It is difficult to put this back in and install the e clips when everything is hot.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-29-2022, 03:54 PM
I've never had an E-clip come off.

Here is some good info with photos.
https://www.mp-molds.com/tipstricks/general-advice-for-using-brass-hp-hollow-point-moulds/

Shuz
01-29-2022, 04:16 PM
I have several e clips in orbit in my shop.