PDA

View Full Version : I got a question!

jsizemore
01-18-2009, 09:23 PM
I bought a SAECO 452068 4 cavity mold with handles from a fella at the gun show in Dec. It needed a little work, but the price was right. He told me a friend had moved and left some molds, lino, and star and phelps lubrisizers. I want the star and some of the lino but I can't afford to keep 500 lbs of lino or the phelps. My questions are what's the going prices for this stuff and is anybody intrested in any of the stuff EXCEPT THE STAR and some of the lino?

buck1
01-18-2009, 10:33 PM
I am sure you could sell the extra lino here at a fair price and you might even make enugh extra to get a sizing die or two wile helping someone get some alloy. as for the Phelps , I am not familiar with that there one.FWIW>>>>Buck

HeavyMetal
01-18-2009, 10:57 PM
The only Phelps I've seen, and that was a photo, sure looked like a clone of the Star lube sizer. Seems to me I saw the photo in an old guns digest?? from the late 60's or early 70's.

If the Phelps you have is a clone, and by that I mean it use's the same sizing dies as a Star, then no reason why it should bring the same price as a Star or close to it!

Will suggest you post a picture and see if you can get a few more answers from that!

madcaster
01-19-2009, 12:32 AM
Link to pictures of a Pitzer Lubrisizer...
http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=8952731
I hope it takes Star or Lyman/RCBS sizing dies!
Should get in my hot little hands tomorrow!:coffee::drinks:

Willbird
01-19-2009, 09:56 AM
Phelps was a guy who worked out of his Chicago basement making copies of Star stuff once their patents ran out. I had a Phelps loader and it worked well for me. Some people have encountered Phelps stuff where Star parts would not interchange, for that reason the Phelps stuff does not bring as many $$ as true Star stuff does.

Bill

jsizemore
01-19-2009, 07:26 PM
Thank you Willbird, that's what I wanted to know. I think the fella told me the Star has a 452 sizing die in it, so I'll see if it fits in the Phelps. Maybe somebody has a Phelps and needs parts,etc..... I was pretty sure I could get some help with the lino, just don't know what to offer for a price. I've seen it going for $.95-1.50/lb + shipping for 50lb lots. That about right?

Willbird
01-19-2009, 07:38 PM
I must admit in my 44 years of life I have never bought linotype :-).

Bill

Echo
01-20-2009, 02:20 AM
I wouldn't pay more than $1/lb for lino, but it goes for more than that on eBay, up to $1.50 plus shipping, so you might be able to turn it over for a profit.

Used Star lube/sizers are going for near-$200 on eBay, surprising since they go for $250 (last I looked) from the manufacturer.

jsizemore
01-20-2009, 01:35 PM
I know Ed, those people on ebay is crazy. I think that sometimes they have friends help to push the price so high. Ofcourse, I always got a little conspiracy on the mind. Hard not to with the gangs in Washington.