PDA

View Full Version : Need Lyman Comet 1 1/4 to 7/8 bushing...

taylorh
01-28-2022, 10:15 AM
Hello,
I need help finding a fine thread 1 1/4 to 7/8 course thread for standard dies press bushing. I bought a lyman comet press for 12 gauge, but it doesn't have the reducer bushing for using regular dies. Any help finding one for purchase appreciated!
Hoyet

country gent
01-28-2022, 11:16 AM
You need 1 1/4 fine to 7/8 fine thread ( modern dies are 7/8 14 thread per inch 7/8 9 is coarse) The 1 1/4 fine could be 12 or 14 tpi Im not sure which. I would check the press with a thread pitch gauge to be sure.You may find a bushing for the newer presses that will work in it.

It wouldnt be a hard part to make knowing the full dimensions. A piece of 1 1/2 or 1 3/4 round stock. turn the 1 1/4 dia to length and thread then drill under sized for 7/8 14 tap drill and bore to tap drill size ( this removes any the drill walked or wandered making it true and concentric). Lightly polish And chamfer sharp edges. Most metals will work cold rolled, stainless ( harder to machine), brass, aluminum ( would be a little soft) best would be pre hard 4140 an nice tough material that finishes nicely and is stable.

C.F.Plinker
01-28-2022, 12:05 PM
Take a look at the Lee 91604 adapter bushing.

https://leeprecision.com/die-adapter-bushing-classic-cast-press.html

Green Frog
01-28-2022, 01:20 PM
The Lyman bushing for the Comet (single stage) and All American (turret) presses appears to be proprietary to Lyman. When I got my All American press it had a 16 ga die in the “big” hole and I finally ended up buying a Comet just to get the bushing! If anyone makes a replacement for this bushing, I would be very interested to bring my orphan Comet back to life.

Froggie

taylorh
01-28-2022, 06:07 PM
Yep thats the bushing I need also:)

taylorh
01-28-2022, 07:43 PM
The lee thread pattern is too course...too bad.

ascast
01-28-2022, 07:53 PM
did you try C&H ?

taylorh
01-28-2022, 07:59 PM
Sorry...what is C&H?

j4570
01-28-2022, 10:59 PM
https://www.ch4d.com/products/equipment/presses/ptb

CH lists a couple different ones. Not sure they are correct but they make a bunch

Green Frog
01-29-2022, 07:18 PM
I thought the threads would be 30 tpi, but if I’m reading the thread gauge correctly on those tiny little threads, the actual pitch is 28. The OD is 1.095” and the threaded portion plus unthreaded shoulder is about 0.75”. The collar around the top is 1.35” diameter and 0.19” thick, with knurling (except mine is all beat up from Bubba and his pliers. :?

Froggie

taylorh
01-31-2022, 10:38 AM
Yeah unfortunately none of the bushings offered by c&h are these dimensions....sadley.

Steve Steven
01-31-2022, 07:24 PM
Froggie,
with an OD of 1.095" it sounds like you have a 1 1/8 x 28 od thread, which is an odd one. Have to get a machinist to make one.

Steve

too many things
01-31-2022, 09:38 PM
well you have heard of hens teeth
would be easier to find

country gent
01-31-2022, 09:49 PM
Reading thru Green Frogs dimensions Its hiding in 1 3/8" round stock. Not an off the shelf part but doable

ascast
01-31-2022, 10:27 PM
you might try calling C&H. They might make one for you as if common they might add it to their list.

Green Frog
02-03-2022, 06:17 PM
I'm wondering whether I would be committing a mortal sin by opening up the bore of my Comet press to take one of the currently available bushings. I've even got a couple of the Herters bushings that step their big bore down to take a 310 die! That's gotta be an oddball! :rolleyes:

Alternately, it looks like I could make (or have made) a reproduction of the Lyman Bushing. IIRC, I once had Charlie Dell make up a repro bushing for the AA and had it bored and threaded to take a 310 die. Hmmmm... I wonder what I did with that one? :?::?:

Froggie

oley55
02-06-2022, 07:58 PM
https://www.ch4d.com/products/equipment/presses/ptb

CH lists a couple different ones. Not sure they are correct but they make a bunch

hey thanks for that link to their bushing inserts. Nice to see they have a something for RCBS A2's 1-1/4"-18tpi.

beagle
02-13-2022, 11:18 PM
Just throwing this out as I don't recall the name. There's an outfit in California that lists hundreds of adapter bushings and shell holder adapters for reloading presses. Some I never heard of. I was looking for a bushing once and they made it. Seems like I found a closer solution and didn't order it. Maybe somebody will remember the name and chime in here.
I'd bet Lyman has some in the "back room" if only their customer service cared enough to research it and root it out./beagle

Green Frog
02-14-2022, 11:58 AM
Friend beagle, the information I’ve gotten concerning “obsolete” parts at Lyman is that they are purged… either sold off at scrap rices or simply hauled to the dump so they no longer have to deal with them. I’ve seen reliable reports of this having been done at least a couple of times with such things as sights and bullet moulds and cherries. I don’t hold much hope of getting the bushing from them. I’d love to have contact info about that Left Coast source though. I’m dreading having to turn that long, fine thread!

Froggie

PS Although I’ve watched pretty faithfully, I’ve seen precisely one of these bushings show up on eBay, and somebody else (actually at least two somebodies) wanted it very badly. The “winner” paid about as much or more for the bushing as I paid for my Comet with bushing! :shock:

Rich/WIS
02-20-2022, 01:35 PM
although it would eliminate it use for shotshells it might be cheaper to have it bored out and threaded for an available bushing.

Green Frog
02-21-2022, 04:39 PM
although it would eliminate it use for shotshells it might be cheaper to have it bored out and threaded for an available bushing.

The good news: Companies that make larger size dies and bushings for their metallic reloading presses frequently make shotshell dies for their presses as well. Of course very few of us who use these presses will want to use them to load shot shells anyway, so that point is moot.

The bad news: Getting that press body precisely secured and aligned for boring is going to require some pretty sophisticated fixturing. What you might be able to do with hand tools or even the average drill press will lack the precision needed for good reloading. I could see securing it with some sort of specialized fixture in a medium horizontal or large vertical mill to get the precision needed. Or am I overthinking this?

I’m leaning more and more toward simply getting on the lathe and single point threading the outside of the body, knurling the upper collar, and probably cutting the internal threads with a 7/8x14 tap. 🤔

Froggie 🐸

rockrat
02-23-2022, 11:22 AM
Wonder if "Lathesmith", who makes boolit sizing dies, could make one for you.