PDA

View Full Version : Anybody made a brass catcher?

roverboy
01-27-2022, 05:57 PM
Just wondered if anybody had made and used one. I tried a tropical fish net, rubber banded to grip. Didn't work all that good. Bounced out about 1/3 of the time. I may just get a good sized tarp.

Silvercreek Farmer
01-27-2022, 05:58 PM
Got any kids? Only takes a couple minutes to make, but a few years before their coordination is good enough…

Winger Ed.
01-27-2022, 06:26 PM
When we had a place in the country, I'd scalp down the grass around the shooting bench, and blow away the clippings.
Rifle brass became much easier to find.

For pistol shooting away from the bench, since it scattered out all over-
I'd mow it down real well, and spread out a big painter's drop cloth.

At the public range, I had a shallow cardboard box standing up beside me with the open end facing the ejection port.
What it didn't catch stayed pretty close.

bangerjim
01-27-2022, 06:38 PM
I used a big rectangle leaf net (Lowe's or Home Despot) for my swimming pool to catch everything. The handle sticks in an old music stand frame and is height adjustable. Works great.

elmacgyver0
01-27-2022, 07:04 PM
I used a big rectangle leaf net (Lowe's or Home Despot) for my swimming pool to catch everything. The handle sticks in an old music stand frame and is height adjustable. Works great.

Now, I like that!

bangerjim
01-27-2022, 07:09 PM
Now, I like that!

And I add 4ea) 2# dumbbell weight down on the stand shaft to handle breezes and winds! Then it will not tip over.

Outer Rondacker
01-27-2022, 07:52 PM
Made a pvc hoop and zipped tied a old sheet to it in the shape of an Y. Put a five-gallon bucket under it.

DCB
01-27-2022, 08:54 PM
I made on using 1/2" pvc pipe and a old laundry bag, Worked pretty good for 45 auto and others,
Didnt do so well with the AR. Picked up a brass catcher on Flea bay and attached it to the AR and it works great. Has a zipper on the bottom and works great for emptying.

cwtebay
01-27-2022, 09:03 PM
Hang your ball cap over the vertical scope cap (or red dot or whatever) with the brim side over the action. Catches darn near all of them, and stacks the rest by your lead foot.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

pworley1
01-27-2022, 09:37 PM
I took a camping mosquito net and attached it to a frame made from 1x2s. It catches most everything.

samari46
01-28-2022, 01:35 AM
Used a old army mosquito net and saved me a lot of bending over to catch 45acp brass. Frank

M-Tecs
01-28-2022, 02:21 AM
This design works well https://www.amazon.com/Freestanding-Brass-Case-Catcher-Models/dp/B01MUMU19U

country gent
01-28-2022, 09:33 AM
Mine are made up free standing. Like the NRA bullseye pistol shooters use the frame and slide are 1/4" round aluminum, the upright staff on the base is 3/8 od aluminum tube.A 1/4" compression tee ties the 1/4" round stock together and makes a swivel joint for the frame. The net I used was a net wash bag for dedicates. The base is 1/4" thick aluminum plate 8" X 12"A rubber furniture tip is used on the staff to provide tension for height adjustment.

They work very well and add nothing to the firearm. When set up right they catch 99% of the cases.

JKP
01-28-2022, 01:51 PM
After trying to make one from a butterfly net, I bought the Caldwell net that goes on a tripod. 2 years ago it was $30. I think now it's up to $56.

gwpercle
01-28-2022, 02:48 PM
My son and daughter worked well as brass collectors .... with gloves my son would catch them .

A fishing net , set up at just the right angle , worked . Used a bungee cord , wrapped around the net handle and secured to the post next to me ... have to position it just right but if the net is large enough ... it worked pretty good . If you don't have a post ... My son in law set up an old camera tripod ... the tri-pod held the net and allowed adjustment , up and down and once you got it in the right place would net most of the empties ! He was shooting a rifle ... I was handgun shooting .
Gary

MrWolf
01-28-2022, 08:00 PM
Here ya go from an old link. Even mine is in there.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?235735-My-attempts-at-a-Brass-Catcher

PHyrbird
01-29-2022, 01:41 AM
Cheap WallyWorld fishnet + ring of copper tubing + net potato sack + couple wire ties + wood base large enough to set ammo can on.
Spotter to move catcher in eject path.
About $15 for the whole thing, Uugly but effective. Gets lots of "howd you makeit??"

Charlie Horse
01-29-2022, 02:16 PM
I shoot under an umbrella when sitting on a bench.

Kenstone
01-29-2022, 10:23 PM
I use a mesh tarp on the ground, it doesn't blow over because it's mesh.
You can stake it or put rocks on it to hold it in place.
https://www.harborfreight.com/8-ft-x-10-ft-mesh-all-purposeweather-resistant-tarp-60577.html
jmo,

cwtebay
01-29-2022, 10:45 PM
I misunderstood the OP's post.
I am the proud father of some serious baseball studs - so have the associated equipment of course (I mean - why else would I own a Can Cannon if not to teach them how to field REALLY high fly balls??). But this definitely works for us to both catch brass and keep the house windows intact.

Check this out on Amazon
FRANKTECH Golf Hitting Net Heavy Duty Golf Practice Net for Backyard Driving Golf Net with High Impact Chipping Hitting Target Golf Driving Practice Net Include Carry Bag Golf Balls for Indoor Outdoor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HMSX3ZB/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_YB9DGSCB0RCKDWEG9H35

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk