PDA

View Full Version : US Military going 6.8

Shawlerbrook
01-27-2022, 04:02 PM
But not the SPC. Pretty interesting but I think I would be leary of the second one with plastic cased ammo.
https://taskandpurpose.com/military-tech/army-next-generation-squad-weapon-m4-m249/

MT Gianni
01-27-2022, 04:09 PM
Hopefully this will result in a lot of pull down components becoming available.

Finster101
01-27-2022, 04:33 PM
Piss poor timing to be fielding a new weapon. More recoil? I thought that was one of the reasons they went to the 9mm pistol. The .45 was too manly. Sorry, I'm just not sold. A lot of weapons were supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread and end up costing .gov a bunch of money just to be scrapped .

bangerjim
01-27-2022, 04:35 PM
Yes, tons of extra "old" ammo should be there in the future. But knowing our stupid government, they will probably just destroy it, rather than letting it fall to us "domestic terrorists". Or just leave it in the Ukraine!

:violin:

reddog81
01-27-2022, 05:26 PM
Haven't we been on the verge of announcement for years?

farmbif
01-27-2022, 07:31 PM
I wonder what kind of 6.8 round they are testing if its not the spc. polymer casing? I think the 6.8 spc is pretty good stuff, the ammo federal was making with 90 grain gold dots.

Good Cheer
01-27-2022, 07:35 PM
With a nice single shot or bolt gun it could make a great small game cast boolit cartridge.

nicholst55
01-27-2022, 09:35 PM
Supposedly, not every soldier will be issued a 6.8mm rifle or SAW, just the 'cool guys.' At least, initially. I don't foresee any vast quantities of unneeded 5.56mm ammo or components available in the immediate future. But then, what do I know?

derek45
01-27-2022, 11:53 PM
not gonna happen

5.56 NATO is here to stay for a while

todd9.3x57
01-28-2022, 02:34 AM
this has been going on for years. yawn.

Rcmaveric
01-28-2022, 03:06 AM
They have been testing new amm for years. Its been talked about since around 2016.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Bmi48219
01-28-2022, 03:36 AM
But not the SPC. Pretty interesting but I think I would be leary of the second one with plastic cased ammo.

Biggest question is can the plastic cases be reloaded?

bedbugbilly
01-28-2022, 10:55 AM
Wonder what politician's relatives will be involved in either the production or the holding of stock in the cibtr city's company?

Texas by God
01-28-2022, 12:16 PM
On a side note, doesn't Jordan use the 6.8 SPC? It seems like I read that somewhere...
Anyway, the 6.8 SPC has proven itself on deer and hogs on our hunting lease- it's a fine little " baby .270".

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Outpost75
01-28-2022, 01:10 PM
this has been going on for years. yawn.

Yup!

popper
01-31-2022, 06:43 PM
Biggest question is can the plastic cases be reloaded? Nope, single use only, normal case head and plastic case. Made in garland Tx. 20% reduction in loaded weight, one advantage. Supposed to be available to public sometime. Also make 308W.

Plate plinker
01-31-2022, 06:49 PM
Wonder what politician's relatives will be involved in either the production or the holding of stock in the cibtr city's company?

Watch Nancy that is tell.

higgins
01-31-2022, 11:04 PM
5.56mm, 6.8mm, and 7.62mm, chambered in similar weapons, in the supply pipeline. What could possibly go wrong?

poppy42
01-31-2022, 11:25 PM
Sorry with the idiot in the White House now I can’t picture any funding for anything going to the US military. Quite frankly I wouldn’t be surprise to hear that he’s issuing slingshots as the new primary infantry weapon.

gwpercle
02-03-2022, 12:18 PM
Yup!

The Army has been talking about going .276" for over 80 years ... think they finally going to do it ?
I'm not holding my breath !
Gary

Loudy13
02-03-2022, 02:06 PM
Like its been said someone has been talking about this for years and it seemed with some planning that was started it was going to happen. I haven't heard a thing for 2 years about this new caliber or what has to be done to support it so...

Also in a new green world are we really gonna litter plastic cases all over the place, but with the increased cost due to how many companies are going to produce this case some senators cousin will probably get the bid.

frkelly74
02-03-2022, 02:37 PM
So I am slightly ahead of the curve.. 277 Wolverine in an AR 15. I am having some fun with it.

HWooldridge
02-03-2022, 02:43 PM
5.56mm, 6.8mm, and 7.62mm, chambered in similar weapons, in the supply pipeline. What could possibly go wrong?

There is also a .338 on the table…

MUSTANG
02-03-2022, 03:03 PM
and the .300 Norma Mag : https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/06/01/socom-chooses-300-norma-magnum-for-asr/

Finster101
02-03-2022, 06:26 PM
I have read that Hornady's 6mm ARC is also being considered and was the reason the cartridge was created.

Lloyd Smale
02-07-2022, 05:09 AM
Sorry with the idiot in the White House now I can’t picture any funding for anything going to the US military. Quite frankly I wouldn’t be surprise to hear that he’s issuing slingshots as the new primary infantry weapon.

yup they couldnt even supply the troups at the capital building with decent food or a bed.

Rcmaveric
02-07-2022, 09:49 AM
I want a .277 Wolverine Upper.

farmbif
02-07-2022, 09:59 AM
I never understood what was wrong with the second version of the 6.8spc, a flat shooting 90 grain bullet at 3000 fps out of an AR I would think is much more effective than 5.56 62 grain bullet at 3100 fps. I guess there's some new wiz kid super duper stuff that I could never even imagine in the R&D pipeline that's getting a bunch of that pentagon gravy train non accountable budget.

markmars
02-07-2022, 11:00 AM
The military has went back and forth about this for ages 5.56 MM gets the job done and works.

The biggest thing is cost the military not only has to issue the new ammo to troops, they have to set up the war reserve.

Cost to retool and replace the factories making the ammo.

Add inflation and an administration that doesn't like or listen to the military. I don't see this happening any time soon.

MUSTANG
02-07-2022, 11:38 AM
Years ago in the USMC we had mandatory/suggested reading lists for Marines. One of these was The Soldiers Load and The Mobility of a Nation written by Colonel S.L.A. Marshall. The Marine Corps Association reprinted the book in 1980. It can be downloaded as a pdf from this URL: https://mcoepublic.blob.core.usgovcloudapi.net/library/ebooks/Soldier's%20Load_dated%201980.pdf

A principal theme of this military tome is:
"No logistical system is sound unless its first principle is enlightened conservation of the power of the individual fighter."

Although our current crop of developers stipulate weight, new development of materials, and even the expanded mobility (Air, Large Vehicular, and even personal vehicles) of our Service members; they can not avoid the temptation to add more and more weight to the basic load of a Service Member. Tactics have evolved - but often rely upon large volumes of small arms suppressive fire (which has to be carried to the firefight). Emphasis has declined for well aimed rounds, and well trained appropriate use of cover and concealment (cover provides resistance to being shot such as a brick wall - concealment obscures ability of enemy knowing where you are such as moving behind a hedgerow). Because of the "Political Impacts" of warfare (read this civilians becoming casualties) we have placed our service members at a disadvantage where Artillery, Air strikes, Drone Strikes, Mortars, and direct impact rocket systems are heavily evaluated away from providing support to service members on the ground IF THERE IS A CHANCE CIVILIANS COULD BE THERE.

The 6.8 may turn out to be a good support of our Service Members, the use of Plastic cases may become a good solution in the future, and the world may join hands and sing the coca-cola "I Wish" song.

I wish I could share all the love that's in my heart
Remove all the bars that keep us apart
I wish I could say all the things that I should say
Say em loud, say em clear, for the whole round
world to hear
I wish I could give like I'm longin to give I wish I could live like I'm longin to live
I wish I could do all the things that I can do
And though I'm way overdue, I'd be startin anew
Source: <a href="https://www.elyrics.net/read/c/coca-cola-lyrics/i-wish-lyrics.html">click here</a>

Lloyd Smale
02-07-2022, 04:49 PM
Years ago in the USMC we had mandatory/suggested reading lists for Marines. One of these was The Soldiers Load and The Mobility of a Nation written by Colonel S.L.A. Marshall. The Marine Corps Association reprinted the book in 1980. It can be downloaded as a pdf from this URL: https://mcoepublic.blob.core.usgovcloudapi.net/library/ebooks/Soldier's%20Load_dated%201980.pdf

"No logistical system is sound unless its first principle is enlightened conservation of the power of the individual fighter."

Although our current crop of developers stipulate weight, new development of materials, and even the expanded mobility (Air, Large Vehicular, and even personal vehicles) of our Service members; they can not avoid the temptation to add more and more weight to the basic load of a Service Member. Tactics have evolved - but often rely upon large volumes of small arms suppressive fire (which has to be carried to the firefight). Emphasis has declined for well aimed rounds, and well trained appropriate use of cover and concealment (cover provides resistance to being shot such as a brick wall - concealment obscures ability of enemy knowing where you are such as moving behind a hedgerow). Because of the "Political Impacts" of warfare (read this civilians becoming casualties) we have placed our service members at a disadvantage where Artillery, Air strikes, Drone Strikes, Mortars, and direct impact rocket systems are heavily evaluated away from providing support to service members on the ground IF THERE IS A CHANCE CIVILIANS COULD BE THERE.

The 6.8 may turn out to be a good support of our Service Members, the use of Plastic cases may become a good solution in the future, and the world may join hands and sing the coca-cola "I Wish" song.

world to hear
I wish I could give like I'm longin to give I wish I could live like I'm longin to live
Source: <a href="https://www.elyrics.net/read/c/coca-cola-lyrics/i-wish-lyrics.html">click here</a>

yes sir.

Rcmaveric
02-08-2022, 01:08 AM

world to hear
Source: <a href="https://www.elyrics.net/read/c/coca-cola-lyrics/i-wish-lyrics.html">click here</a>I am no history buff but weight if I remember correctly is what killed the AR10 and 308 ammo. 60 rounds ( i am navy not army or usmc so i dont know rounds issued) of 308 is heavy and so is the gun. I have an long barreled HBAR AR15 that gets heavy after a few hours tracking comes in at about 9lbs with 5 round mag and scope. Its getting rebearled when i can afford it.

fiberoptik
02-11-2022, 02:59 AM
We need new “Green—Vegan” ammo. Bio-degradable, no lead or copper, with no damage to the ozone layer. Maybe using bamboo bullets.
As for our stockpile of current ammo & weapons , I have no doubt that the Demoncrats in charge; jo bi deng would be certain to donate it all to our terrorist enemy organizations, say iran, afghanistan, china or russia. Just like he just did when he hung us out to dry, giving $10 Billion worth of equipment and millions in cash to finance our harm and learn all our secrets. Oh. Did I mention the 9,000 people left behind?
What does the law say about supporting terrorist activities and organizations?
Semper Fi
1982-1989

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lloyd Smale
02-13-2022, 06:31 AM
We need new “Green—Vegan” ammo. Bio-degradable, no lead or copper, with no damage to the ozone layer. Maybe using bamboo bullets.
As for our stockpile of current ammo & weapons , I have no doubt that the Demoncrats in charge; jo bi deng would be certain to donate it all to our terrorist enemy organizations, say iran, afghanistan, china or russia. Just like he just did when he hung us out to dry, giving $10 Billion worth of equipment and millions in cash to finance our harm and learn all our secrets. Oh. Did I mention the 9,000 people left behind?
What does the law say about supporting terrorist activities and organizations?
Semper Fi
1982-1989

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yup pretty ironic that we are on the verge of ww3 and the liberals are worried about lead polution or brass being left behind. Whats next. Give away our trucks and tanks and build new electric ones so they dont pollute while china and russia burn us to the ground.

414gates
02-13-2022, 08:10 AM
If the lobbyists paid enough to the right politicians, the government will instruct the army to change calibers, and the cartel paying the lobbyists gets the new supply contract.