PDA

View Full Version : Snows a comin

DocSavage
01-26-2022, 11:16 AM
Been saying this for a couple of months now,last few years we here in MA haven't gotten much snow that's about to change.
Local weather is prediting 12-24" looks like we got a full blown Nor'easter headed our way so off to get gas for the snow blower,milk,few items from the grocery store and make sure the snow blower starts.

Outer Rondacker
01-26-2022, 12:05 PM
DocSavage, In this world we live in, I feel you should be stocked up at all times. I hope you guys keep it over on the east side. As of now it does not look to be tracking to upstate NY.

Stay warm and make sure you fire up the Genny beforehand to work out any hiccup's before you need it.

MrWolf
01-26-2022, 12:14 PM
My snowblower is parked near side door next to plug and covered. When it snows, electric start and good to go. Always keep extra gas, kerosene, and diesel (Kubota runs on diesel). Always figure on at least three to four weeks of supplies at a minimum in case of a short term emergency. My long term has about 400 lbs of beef, venison, chicken, and bacon [smilie=s:

Isaac
01-26-2022, 12:48 PM
Local weather forecasters (Maryland) are reporting that New England could get slammed with this one. We're looking at a few inches. Coastal Md. could get a bit more.

Good Luck!

pworley1
01-26-2022, 12:57 PM
Every where you go you get weather. We in the south have tornadoes 10 months a year and ya'll have snow and ice. Keep warm.

fixit
01-26-2022, 01:31 PM
Meanwhile in Indy, north or us gets it, south of us gets it, but ALL we get is the cold! Ugh!

Shawlerbrook
01-26-2022, 01:36 PM
Looks like a slammer for I95.

Geezer in NH
01-26-2022, 01:38 PM
It's winter. We expect snowstorms in Jan and Feb. 4 inches to 18 inches still got to plow. Here in our rural town and county no big deal. We get it done and watch the panic in the big cities.

Outer Rondacker
01-26-2022, 02:27 PM
My snowblower is parked near side door next to plug and covered. When it snows, electric start and good to go. Always keep extra gas, kerosene, and diesel (Kubota runs on diesel). Always figure on at least three to four weeks of supplies at a minimum in case of a short term emergency. My long term has about 400 lbs of beef, venison, chicken, and bacon [smilie=s:

Thats what we like to hear. I am blessed with being the last property with power on my grid and the highest on the mountain. A few winters ago the neighbor and I lost power for 13 days. We had it ok others no so much. Good luck hope it goes out to sea.

Rattlesnake Charlie
01-26-2022, 02:44 PM
Got by easy here in the mountains of northern New Mexico. Only 5" and no wind. Sunny and 23 degrees made nice shoveling weather.

Winger Ed.
01-26-2022, 03:19 PM
That gives me flash backs.

One winter up there when I was at Quantico, not too far from there we got a big snow storm.
A buddy had bought a 4WD Jeep, and was so stretched out on the payments, he hummed when the when was blowing.
But he'd planned ahead---

When the big storm hit- he was anchored down at the top of a hill on one of the 'snow emergency routes'.
Back then, if you got stuck, and didn't have snow tires or chains, and blocked traffic-
you'd get a big fat ticket from the state troopers.

He almost paid off the Jeep by winching people's cars up the hill that didn't have snow chains.

Patrick L
01-26-2022, 03:35 PM
I generally don't mind, but I hope it doesn't track far into NY this time. Supposed to move my daughter back into college this Saturday.

Freightman
01-26-2022, 05:10 PM
Got 3-4" today will be gone by Friday 21 today Sat. forecast 70 , Texas panhandle weather !!!!!!!!!

georgerkahn
01-26-2022, 05:50 PM
I print a calendar each "winter" and write in the time, in hours, I spend on the Kubota moving the white stuff. So far just in January, it's been eighteen hours snow moving! 295263295264 Total comes to 26 1/2 hours. I push it into a pile, and, I took a photo of the Mrs. standing in front of it to send granddaughter... "12-24"s"? Best wishes!
geo

BigAlofPa.
01-26-2022, 05:55 PM
Were not supposed to get much this time around.

Wild Bill 7
01-26-2022, 06:06 PM
Winter is here! and the weather forecaster’s act like it’s new. Duh! Every year it’s the same thing. Cold �� air, snow, rain and all the other stuff that goes with winter. It always amazes me how they think most of us are too feeble to think on our own. Sorry for the rant but I get really tired of them acting like we’re stupid.

BJK
01-26-2022, 06:13 PM
Last year I plowed 3x mostly from boredom. This year not at all so far except down at the end of the driveways and the mailbox. I hate snow today and lover it years ago. Yeah, it looks like this storm will be plowable. But it's Maine and human caused global warming is bovine excrement so what are the chances we'd skate forever? I'd like that, but the ALMIGHTY doesn't consult me.

Should be interesting with our new pup. She hates the cold and dislikes it even more on her feet. It should be interesting.

I hope the storm is "wasted" on the sea. The ski areas can make snow. Bah humbug! I'm too old for this stuff! But I do like the conditions that keep the riffraff out of our state year round. Stay self sufficient and prepared or one doesn't belong here.

I had a loose connection in the snow plow innards that prevented the snow plow from dropping, but knew the chronic issue and fixed it this afternoon @ 15°F. Hopefully it won't disconnect anymore. Tonight it's going down to around -15°F.

Wild Bill, it happens up here also. You gotta understand the low level of intelligence it takes to be a talking head. They're morons. Understand that and you know exactly where to place them on the scale of intelligence. Pay them no mind. Just get the gist and tune out the rest of their noise; it's just static.

Outer Rondacker
01-26-2022, 06:51 PM
Wild bill, I love when they tell you to stock up on water. um ok

Gator 45/70
01-26-2022, 07:07 PM
We in south La. are short on sneaux blowers and shovels, Any alternatives out there?

DocSavage
01-26-2022, 10:26 PM
DocSavage, In this world we live in, I feel you should be stocked up at all times. I hope you guys keep it over on the east side. As of now it does not look to be tracking to upstate NY.

Stay warm and make sure you fire up the Genny beforehand to work out any hiccup's before you need it.

Don't have a generator I lose power here so seldom it would rust to death. As far as food we're in good shape just needed milk and the fact there's just the wife and I we won't starve and I have a 2 burner camp stove to cook on should the power goes out. Several flashlights and power packs for cell phones.

Murphy
01-26-2022, 11:04 PM
Down in my little corner of Oklahoma (as far as one can get in the lower right hand corner of the state), we seldom snow. Some winters, zero snow fall. Not always though. 20 some odd years back, we had an 11" blanket cover the county. You talk about a mess! Things in this part of the world aren't built with a snow load factored in. The local Dollar Store roof completely collapsed, 4 wheel drives were stuck in parking lots, not an awning one left on any of the local stores, etc.

In short, the mere mention of snow being possible within a 50 radius of our town, milk, bread and eggs are going within hours from the store shelves. Typically, a 2-3" snow here comes and is gone within 72 hours. I guess what we grow up with, is what we grow accustom to.

Murphy

Outer Rondacker
01-27-2022, 08:18 AM
Down in my little corner of Oklahoma (as far as one can get in the lower right hand corner of the state), we seldom snow. Some winters, zero snow fall. Not always though. 20 some odd years back, we had an 11" blanket cover the county. You talk about a mess! Things in this part of the world aren't built with a snow load factored in. The local Dollar Store roof completely collapsed, 4 wheel drives were stuck in parking lots, not an awning one left on any of the local stores, etc.

In short, the mere mention of snow being possible within a 50 radius of our town, milk, bread and eggs are going within hours from the store shelves. Typically, a 2-3" snow here comes and is gone within 72 hours. I guess what we grow up with, is what we grow accustom to.

Murphy

Around 25 or so years ago I was in Natchez Mississippi visiting a friend in February. Had a Econoline two wheel drive van and we woke to two or three inches of snow. I had a buddy who had made the trip to visit our friend. We jumped up and headed for breakfast. I spent the most part of the day shuttling the police around the town.

Cars trucks you name it was crashed and stuck all over the place. I just buzzed around them all and when I stopped at a stop light an few officers who had spun out walked up to the van. They asked how the blank are you getting around. I said look at the plates im from snow country. One asked if I would drive them to a bad wreck and I replied glad to help. Several hours later had a interesting story to tell and my buddy met some of his local PD officers.

jonp
01-29-2022, 08:44 AM
Maybe up to 40in in some parts of southern New England. At least 2ft from what I've seen now and 40mph+ winds. Wind gusts up to 70mph from Nantucket up to Bangor. Subzero wind chills. Nasty Nor'Easter blowing in.

jonp
01-29-2022, 08:47 AM
Around 25 or so years ago I was in Natchez Mississippi visiting a friend in February. Had a Econoline two wheel drive van and we woke to two or three inches of snow. I had a buddy who had made the trip to visit our friend. We jumped up and headed for breakfast. I spent the most part of the day shuttling the police around the town.

Cars trucks you name it was crashed and stuck all over the place. I just buzzed around them all and when I stopped at a stop light an few officers who had spun out walked up to the van. They asked how the blank are you getting around. I said look at the plates im from snow country. One asked if I would drive them to a bad wreck and I replied glad to help. Several hours later had a interesting story to tell and my buddy met some of his local PD officers.

Last week we were expecting, maybe, 6in. Boss grounded all his trucks on Friday not wanting them driving around in a blizzard. I told him the weather didn't bother me and if we shut down up home with snow like that no-one would run freight October to April. Out of 200 or so drivers I was the only one on the road moving trailers. All a matter of perspective in what you are used to.

DocSavage
01-30-2022, 10:51 AM
Got 2 ft+,drifts waist deep.
Fortunately I got help and a
very capable snow blower to dig out. 15 hp and cuts a 32 inch path gotta love it.

Outer Rondacker
01-30-2022, 11:49 AM
Ugg For once I didnt get an inch. So far only had to fire up the Case once this year. Lets keep it that way.

Half Dog
01-30-2022, 12:11 PM
Meanwhile, it’s a frigid 45 degrees right now with threats of going lower this week.