PDA

View Full Version : Federal 45acp brass question

T-Bird
01-24-2022, 08:23 PM
After acquiring a WW2 Ithaca 1911 from my SIL from my BIL's (deceased) collection, and shooting it a few times, I decided that I wanted to get a modern one and delve into the world of 45 acp. Last month I purchased a Kimber Custom LW that was VERY slightly used from my LGS, told the guy that I would pay the $650 OTT price if he would throw in a bag or the range brass that was on the shelf. He said sure and off I went. I have encountered a situation that all y'all 45 ACP experts may already know, but it seems odd to me. I can't fit a large pistol primer into the Federal brass, it seems to need small pistol? When I examined the primer pockets, they were visually smaller than the other brands of brass. Why did they do this, or am I mentally impaired? (don't address the second part of that question:-)

Budzilla 19
01-24-2022, 08:34 PM
Some of those Federal brass 45 ACP casings take small primers, some don’t. As to why??? I personally don’t have a clue!!!

AnthonyB
01-24-2022, 08:36 PM
You are no more insane than normal. That is indeed small pistol primer 45 ACP. Supposed to cure things that ail the original.

It loads and shoots just as normal for me, but I segregate and save it for the zombie apocalypse. Too much trouble to sort every time.
Tony

la5676
01-24-2022, 08:38 PM
There's prolly a reason he was so agreeable to give them to you. Not the most desirable, but not because they aren't functionable (sp). Most people just think they are a PITA if you have them mixed with all your large primer brass, sorting them out is a chore, and missing one usually crushes a large primer if you are priming on a press, hand primer not so much. If that is all you have now, just put SPP in them and rock.

Baltimoreed
01-24-2022, 08:58 PM
I bought some spp .45 on purpose to stretch out my supply of lp primers so set your spp .45 brass off to the side as they may be valuable to you some day when lp primers are hard to come by …….

376Steyr
01-24-2022, 09:03 PM
As to why they are Small Pistol size, they are from "non-toxic" (sometimes actually stamped NT) ammo that uses lead-free primers. Regular Small Pistol primers work fine in them, just keep them segregated from your LP brass.

Plate plinker
01-24-2022, 09:45 PM
We keep the SPP for competition use when your not allowed to pickup brass. Honestly wish they were all SPP life would be easier.

sukivel
01-24-2022, 10:27 PM
I used to prefer the small primer 45 brass because I had a lot more spp than lpp and it was a tad quicker/easier changeout on the progressive to 9mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

megasupermagnum
01-24-2022, 10:36 PM
We keep the SPP for competition use when your not allowed to pickup brass. Honestly wish they were all SPP life would be easier.

I feel the same. It will be quite a while yet, but when this craziness settles down, I plan to go completely to SPP brass. I'd much rather stock a huge supply of one kind of primer.

stubshaft
01-24-2022, 11:35 PM
I gave away all of my LPP brass and ONLY shoot SPP brass now.

trails4u
01-24-2022, 11:52 PM
Geez...so refreshing! I also prefer SPP 45 brass, for many of the same reasons mentioned above. It's the only pistol caliber I load that 'could' use LPP, so LPPs are not something I acquire nor keep on purpose. Now....do I have LPPs? Well...maybe, but not on purpose!

tazman
01-25-2022, 12:27 AM
I have been told by some very good target shooters, that the SPP cases give more consistent results than the LPP cases do. SOmething about the large primers having enough power to move the boolits before the powder fully ignites.

I am not a good enough shot to verify this. I expect you could test for consistency with a chronograph. Lower extreme spreads and SD.

rondog
01-25-2022, 04:29 AM
Federal, Winchester, Speer, Blazer, CCI - I think they all make .45 with small primers. I sure find a lot of them.

ioon44
01-25-2022, 10:14 AM
I have been told by some very good target shooters, that the SPP cases give more consistent results than the LPP cases do. SOmething about the large primers having enough power to move the boolits before the powder fully ignites.

I am not a good enough shot to verify this. I expect you could test for consistency with a chronograph. Lower extreme spreads and SD.

I have found this to be true, I have some loads with SPP that had an extreme spread 7 for 6 rounds.

tazman
01-25-2022, 11:51 AM
I have found this to be true, I have some loads with SPP that had an extreme spread 7 for 6 rounds.

That is some seriously impressive work. Would you mind giving some specifics of that load?

Baltimoreed
01-25-2022, 12:31 PM
Not too far off topic but I’ve traded 3 bricks of cci spp [all that I had] for cci lpp as I use them in my cas rifles and revolver ammo. I still have 6 bricks of srp that work in rifle or handgun brass.

Outer Rondacker
01-25-2022, 04:36 PM
I used to toss my SPP 45 acp cases. Since things got difficult in the gun world I started keeping the SPP cases. Never know what we will be able to find in the future. You are not nuts. One thing is for sure, SPP and LPP in a progressive are a problem. Make sure you separate.

Mytmousemalibu
01-25-2022, 05:10 PM
Most of our .45acp shooters in our USPSA club have gone to all SPP brass. Some designate loads for certain guns/uses by primer size. Everyone seems to prefer the SPP's here for some of the above reasons. Less diviation and one common primer size for the rest of most pistol calibers.

Bmi48219
01-25-2022, 11:06 PM
Started saving Fed SPP 45 brass a couple years back. I have several thousand deprimed, cleaned & sized. Planned on switching to them eventually. I’d as soon reload Fed SPP 45 brass than S & B LPP brass.

T-Bird
01-26-2022, 10:19 AM
This bag probably had 10 spp cases in it out of 200. I was surprised, I thought something like primer size would be an industry standard or something for some reason? Anyway, they're not hard to spot w/o hand sorting. I use a single stage turret press so they're easily detected. I always have LPP on hand because I load 45 Colt, 44 mag. I also load .357,38 special, so I have SPP too but not nearly as many. I think I'll do as plate plinker said, keep the spp brass for when I may be shooting and can't collect empties.Federal is the only brand that has SPP in this bag. I guess if I encounter more and more SPP brass down the road, I'll have a decision to make. As an aside, boy can you run a lot of ammo out of these auto's in a hurry! I'm used to revolvers mostly. 50 round box is gone in 10 min!:-)

trails4u
01-26-2022, 10:31 AM
The Winchester Non-lead stuff (Win NT headstamp) is also SPP.....just FYI. Other than that, most I have seen around here is Federal or Blazer.

skeet1
01-26-2022, 10:35 AM
I have always wondered why the .45 ACP was ever loaded with large primers in the first place? It's not like they contain a large amount of slow-burning powder.

Ken

MostlyLeverGuns
01-26-2022, 12:43 PM
Yeah, I have Federal 45 ACP in both large and small pistol primer. I do keep them separate, but consider it an advantage to use whichever primer I have the most. I've also got some Speer 45 ACP with the SPP. No noticeable difference when loading/shooting.

alfadan
01-26-2022, 12:57 PM
I think JMB originally designed it as spp but the lpp was more forgiving of non centered firing pins on the 1911.

alamogunr
01-26-2022, 01:35 PM
This is the first LPP vs SPP thread I have seen where most of the posters didn't almost go into apoplectic fits because of SPP. I stocked up on OF SPP brass some time back. Now I have no use for the LPP priming parts for the Dillon 550B

T-Bird
01-30-2022, 09:08 PM
Well, with all the concern over availability of components for reloading, when some more 45 ACP range brass became available from the LGS, I bought it. Still no spp brass, the entire bag had everything but Federal brass, maybe it's a regional thing? Anyway, I've now got about 600 pieces, and that will hold me for a while. I'm not changing primers from lpp to spp for 45acp.

Plate plinker
01-30-2022, 09:34 PM
I think JMB originally designed it as spp but the lpp was more forgiving of non centered firing pins on the 1911.

Correct had something to do with military requirements and the ability to strip the guns down and rebuild with mixed parts.

BattleRife
02-01-2022, 05:38 PM
I guess if I encounter more and more SPP brass down the road, I'll have a decision to make.

I believe that all manufacturers are slowly but steadily transitioning .45 ACP to small pistol primers. One day all new brass will be SPP. The only problem with it is the inconvenience of having two sizes to deal with right now, especially if you have a large supply of large primered brass already on hand. If you are starting into the world of loading .45 ACP today, it makes no sense to involve yourself with large primered cases. Ditch them and focus on the small primered stuff.

Winger Ed.
02-01-2022, 06:24 PM
I have always wondered why the .45 ACP was ever loaded with large primers in the first place? It's not like they contain a large amount of slow-burning powder.

When John Browning designed the .45ACP, he developed the ammo too.
He used chopped off .30-06 brass for the cases and they had large primers.
It worked well, and .45ACP ammo as we know it went into production.

Up until now, large primers for .45ACP has been one of those things that, "We've always made them like that".

Outer Rondacker
02-01-2022, 07:05 PM
He used chopped off .30-06 brass for the cases and they had large primers.

That is what I do with my 30-06 brass. Never had a gun chambered in it.

T-Bird
02-02-2022, 10:55 AM
You cut off 30/06 to shoot in 45ACP? wow! sounds like a lot of work to me.

Old Caster
02-02-2022, 11:15 PM

Ken

Because it is based on the 30/06 case.

Bigslug
02-09-2022, 10:27 AM
T-Bird,

The reason for the existence of the SPP .45 is the lead-free priming (CleanRange, Winclean, etc...) that has been largely marketed for police training facilities.

The major demand was for .38 Special, 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45ACP. The first three of those nominally use SPP. It was simply a logistics of manufacturing decision so they'd only need to make the lead free primers in one size.

Since you're just getting into the .45ACP, it's decision making time. I have about 40 years of history - and brass - built up with the round. Because of this, I'm well-committed to the platform in LPP, and I regard SPP as the work of Satan because I now have to look out for something I never did before. You don't have that baggage.

T-Bird
02-09-2022, 02:40 PM
I'm staying with Lpp for 45 acp. For me 600 pieces is enough for a while. I never shoot one gun for too long exclusively, the others get jealous. Many of them use Lpp, but I do have 4 (2 rifle,2 pistol) .357's so I'll always have Spp too.

Walks
02-09-2022, 05:00 PM
I think what bothered Me the most is that they just showed up. No one knew why ?
Now I just collect them and save them for indoor range use. Load 'em, shoot 'em and leave 'em.