PDA

View Full Version : buying a new truck

farmbif
01-24-2022, 04:11 PM
anyone else been trying to buy a new truck. what a mess.
that's what I decided to do rather than pay the prices used trucks are selling for.
I ordered a new Silverado 3500 and the price was just a couple thousand more than what I could actually find a 2 or 3 year old one for.
its been over two months now and they still can't tell me when it will be built or when I might expect delivery.
I have heard all kinds of stories on the internet and on the news as to why things are so screwed up and just dont know what to believe anymore.
the dealer was of course more than happy to take my deposit, but I respect them for not trying to give any excuses or reasons why its taking so long and they were honest in saying they can't tell me when to expect it. the crazy part of the whole thing is its pretty easy to find one for $85k but I dont want leather seats and so many gizmos that the dash seems like pinball game.

contender1
01-24-2022, 04:40 PM
Back at the beginning of 2021,, my wife & I discussed me getting a new truck. My older (2014) Chevy Silverado had almost 350,000 miles,, and while still in very good shape,, necessitated me getting a new one for my work etc.
Well, in March,, we started looking.
We started the internet searching,, and then went to a dealer who advertised as having more trucks than others. Nothing on the lot fit my needs,, and the selection wasn't much anyway.
We discussed the order option, and were told, "No guarantees & it may take 6 months or more."
My wife & I decided to go with a more local dealer,, with whom we'd had a fair dealing with in the past.
We were told "Ordering will be your best option, but no guarantees as to when it'll be available." Apparently,, the "chips" needed to operate things were not available. And our local dealer was quite helpful, honest & upfront about everything. He wrote up my order,, didn't ask for a deposit as he had no concrete answers as to "when" etc.
That was mid April.
I'd check with him every other week, the day after his allotment order date passed.
NADA.
Finally, in early June,, I'd checked with him on a Friday,, nada,, then on Saturday,, late day,,, he found me a truck, at a dealership NE of Richmond Va. It fit the parameters of my order. No dealer to dealer transfer was available. By the time I got the message, it was too late to contact them, they were closed on Sunday,, and on Monday,, they opened at 8 am. I was talking to the GM at 8:02 am. Put a deposit on the truck, made arrangements for my wife & I to drive 7 hours ONE WAY,, to get the truck.
On Wednesday,, we made the LONG drive,, the truck was as needed,, and we bought it.

All went well,, except I was a bit miffed at them offering a military discount,, yet,, not for Veterans. Yet,, if I'd been an active duty flunky at a volunteer fire dept, I could have gotten the discount. I guess the way they advertised it,, and what was "acceptable" didn't align. A flunky office volunteer for a FD could get it,, but a combat vet,, past 2 years out,, could not.

One thing I did experience,, was the way the dealership screwed me a little. I needed a 3rd key,, and they said; "We'll get you a 3rd key, but we'll have to mail it to you." They did that. HOWEVER,,, they failed to mention it would need to be programed,, and when I pushed a bit,, they said; "We supplied you a key." To which I replied; "Websters Dictionary doesn't describe what you sent as a key,,, because it fails to operate as a key." Round & round we went. PIZZ poor attitude from Tappahannock Chevrolet, Richmond Va.
I'd never recommend them to anybody,, because they KNEW it would cost me over $100 to get the key programed,, and they wouldn't even discuss it between dealerships (my local & them,) about making this right. It was basically; "we sold you a truck & now you are on your own."

Well,, my local dealership,, I went back to them,, to THANK my salesman for finding me the truck I needed. HE DIDN'T MAKE A DIME OFF ME,, yet he helped me. When I told him of my experience with Tappahannock,, and how crappy I'd been treated,, he got my key programed by them,, and it didn't cost me a cent.
I tipped my salesman locally,, at Boyd's Chevrolet in Hendersonville NC for such excellent service,, $100.

It wasn't the money so much as the principal of what was promised.

Beyond that,, apparently,, the computer chip shortage is WHY nobody can get certain models of certain vehicles. And it's not just Chevrolet. It's Ford & Dodge too. Yet,, I see more new jap crap cars available,, and especially the micro, battery operated cars which seem to get the bulk of the chips.

Good luck with your order.

I've heard that many truck & SUV's are built,, awaiting chips,, yet are "sitting" & not delivered. I've also heard that mice & rats have been working on the wiring harnesses of these sitting vehicles too. Be aware,,,!

3584ELK
01-24-2022, 04:45 PM
I thought about getting an old square body Chevy or GMC, but THOSE prices are extremely high as well. I eventually bought an '84 C20 that needs work. I figure I will keep maintaining my 2003 GMC. The auto manufacturers can sit and spin on it.

Idaho45guy
01-24-2022, 05:17 PM
Most of the computer chips are made in Taiwan. China is now threatening them. Just wait until war breaks out and chip production is ended one way or the other.

At least I know my "Jap Crap" 4Runner will be going strong for decades while the new Chevy garbage is worn out in a few short years and there won't be any chips available to get them running again.

Plate plinker
01-24-2022, 05:18 PM
Far too much technology in new vehicles for my preference. Really only need a comfortable seat, AC and Heat. AM/FM radio is okay but not necessary. The fancy things are just crazy.

Idaho how many miles on your 4runner? I have 249,XXX on mine. Still uses no extra oil.

M-Tecs
01-24-2022, 06:03 PM
I am planning on purchasing a 2022 K1500 4x4 with the 3.0L Duramax Turbo-Diesel but due to the chip shortage they currently are not even in production. My 2002 Chev has 265,000 miles on it and has a host of electrical issues. I cannot locate a parasitic battery drain so if it's going to set for more than 8 hours I disconnect the battery and never leave home without my jump pack. The passenger heated seat is stuck on high. Engine and drive train are still good but not much else. It is also rusting out severely. It's at the of it's useful life span so I have limited options.

Used trucks in this are at a minimum 50% over pre-shortage prices.

Never thought I wanted or would own a diesel but I have two buddies that have them in the 2021 model. Both are two-wheel drive and highway milage is running 31 to 34 mpg.

marlin39a
01-24-2022, 06:08 PM
I have a 2019 Toyota Tundra bought new 1/19. I have 30,000 miles on it. The selling dealer has recently offered me more than I paid for it. Fine, but what do I do then? New trucks are priced way high. No thanks, I’m happy with what I have.

MUSTANG
01-24-2022, 06:54 PM
My wife keeps telling me that we need to sell our 1997 F350 with 7.2 Diesel - because it's worth 50% more than I paid for it on the used market. I told here the Truck runs well, can make it back and forth between Moapa Nevada and Kalispell Montana without problem, and all I need it for is some of those runs, wood hauling, and to haul the horses should we need to. She keeps advocating replacing it; but I do not want to spend as much as $90K on a Truck that is not even on the Lot Yet.

Oh well; as we get more mature (young ones start calling us old man/woman) we seem to get set in ur ways and the newest and greatest does not interest many of us anymore. Works and Paid for seems to be satisfactory.

nicholst55
01-24-2022, 09:52 PM
The car market in general, and truck market particularly, is currently insane. I am in the market, but have decided to wait a year. I'm hoping that my 18 year-old 4-Runner will last that long, but I simply refuse to be raped by these bandits. The local Toyota dealer flat out LIED to me when I went shopping there, and I will not do business with them ever. Another Toyota dealer is tacking a $15,000 premium onto 2022 Tundras coming in - and selling them all. But not to me.

Buckshot
01-24-2022, 10:08 PM
.......... I bought a new Ford Ranger 4x2 nicely equipped, but not way top of the line and am very happy with it. However being a child of the 50's I'm always comparing the price of stuff to when I was a kid. That new pickup cost $20,000 more then what my folks paid for their brand new house (and the lots were LARGE in those days) in 1953. To be precise, the house was $9,999.00

............... Buckshot

dverna
01-24-2022, 11:05 PM
One of our trucks is a 2016 F150. I paid $19k in 2019 with 134k miles. 159k on it now

The “wizardry” started to act up on it about a month ago. First, it would not connect to the cell phone, then the screen for the back up camera started to act up. This weekend the radio would not work and the whole Sync system died. Today the camera and radio worked. Looks like a failing board....but afraid what it will cost to get it fixed.

I wish they would make a simple model without all this tech junk. I can live without it.

jimlj
01-24-2022, 11:14 PM
I just ordered a new car. The dealer told me 4-6 months. We shopped at five different dealers, none of them would deal on price, and none seemed to care if we bought one. The dealer didn’t even want a down payment. He said “if you back out, I’ll sell it to someone else the day it comes in.”

I plan to drive my 1979 F250 till they take my license. I put a Cummins Diesel engine in it about 15 years ago. It’s bearly broke in at 350000 miles.

Ford SD
01-25-2022, 12:00 AM
I am planning on purchasing a 2022 K1500 4x4 with the 3.0L Duramax Turbo-Diesel but due to the chip shortage they currently are not even in production. My 2002 Chev has 265,000 on it had has a host of electrical issues. I cannot locate a parasitic battery drain so if it's going to set for more than 8 hours I disconnect the battery and never leave home without my jump pack. The passenger heated seat is stuck on high. Engine and drive train are still good but not much else. It is also rusting out severely. It's at the of it's useful life span so I have limited options.

Used trucks in this are at a minimum 50% over pre-shortage prices.

Never thought I wanted or would own a diesel but I have two buddies that have them in the 2021 model. Both are two-wheel drive and highway milage is running 31 to 34 mpg.

if heated seat is stuck on.... it could be a relay .... or you could unplug the heated seat wire
check your owners manual

M-Tecs
01-25-2022, 12:28 AM
if heated seat is stuck on.... it could be a relay .... or you could unplug the heated seat wire
check your owners manual

Agreed but there is more to the story. I started feeling poorly at the end of my annual two-week ND goose hunt. I drove 560 miles feeling very much under the under the weather on Dec 31st. Dec 31st is also my wedding anniversary. I tested positive on the 1st.

Things went downhill fast and I spent 10 days in the hospital. Currently I am at home but still on oxygen. I have only been dressed twice this year. Once for the ambulance ride to the hospital and once for the ride home. It's mostly been below zero or below here. Other than that I have not been out of the house or my bathrobe this year. I am planning on getting dressed tomorrow to take the trash out. That is 100-yard walk one way. I am having the wife watch me and if necessary she will get me with the car and portable oxygen. First part of Dec I killed a scale weighed 189-pound field dressed whitetail with the muzzleloader. Dragging it close to a 1/2 mile across rough terrain was not a problem. Today rolling a wheeled garage can 100 yards may be too much.

This one kicked my butt. For a while I didn't think I was going to make it due to pneumonia and dehydration.

Back to the truck the seat issue did not start until the morning of the 31st so I have not worked the issue. It made for a very warm ride for my passenger. The parasitic drain started when I was hunting. I didn't have much for tools but I did pull each fuse in total darkness hoping to see a spark but I could not detect a short. When I get to feeling better I will put a meter on it but it's still rusting out, tires are almost shot and lots of other issues so I am just hoping to limp it along until I can find a 2022 3.0 diesel for close to list price.

We built our house in 2004. When I was in ND the furnace went out so the wife had it replaced. I consider myself very lucky since they actually had the furnace in stock that I wanted. The whole house humidifier plastic fell apart with the furnace change. They were on back order most places so it was not available at the time of the furnace install. I am hoping to have the energy to replace that tomorrow. Taking the garbage can out and installing may be more than I can do in a day, but I am getting better every day and a full recovery is expected. Oxygen and dry air is killing my sinuses and I really do need to get the whole house humidifier back up. The washer also is started having major balance issues when I was in ND so that is a must to work when I have the energy. I would prefer just to replace it but the ones we want are all out of stock. Dealing with the truck is a secondary issue right now.

My dad who still lives alone turned 99 on the Jan. 23rd. I had planned on going back for his B-day and have a party but that was not possible.

2022 has not started well for me.

Let's go Brandon!!!!!!!!!

MrWolf
01-25-2022, 09:30 AM
I thought about getting an old square body Chevy or GMC, but THOSE prices are extremely high as well. I eventually bought an '84 C20 that needs work. I figure I will keep maintaining my 2003 GMC. The auto manufacturers can sit and spin on it.

I started looking for a pre computer 4x4 truck. Wow. People think either they have prized collector items or something. Everything has just gotten unbelievable.

M-Tecs
01-25-2022, 09:55 AM
I started looking for a pre computer 4x4 truck. Wow. People think either they have prized collector items or something. Everything has just gotten unbelievable.

Bandon's new world..............

Let's go Brandon!!!!!!

elk hunter
01-25-2022, 10:25 AM
I think I'll just keep driving the one I have now. No computer chips to go bad. The only accessory's on it are an AM radio and a spotlight. So far I've had no trouble with them. Like the energizer bunny, at 76 years old, it just keeps going and going.

fixit
01-25-2022, 10:47 AM
That is gorgeous! I love old iron!

Idaho45guy
01-25-2022, 02:14 PM
Idaho how many miles on your 4runner? I have 249,XXX on mine. Still uses no extra oil.

Mine's a baby with only 30k miles. Not even broken in yet. I have taken it on some of the most brutal trails in the country and it is still quiet and rattle-free.

My last vehicle, a 2005 Yukon, rattled and squeaked driving around town with under 100k miles on it. Transmission was starting to go and little things were starting to fail every couple of weeks.

But, one weakness of my 4Runner is the rear hatch paint. I have rust spots showing. 3 years old. None of my previous vehicles driven in the same area for longer times, has had any issues. And the rust spots are only on the rear hatch. So I think that body part was prepped incorrectly.

GOPHER SLAYER
01-25-2022, 02:25 PM
I sold my 69 Ford pickup a few years ago for $1000. I had put a 302 engine in it and drove it 39 years. When I bought it, it was 6 years old. I paid a $1000 for it and I sold it for a $1000. You could trouble shoot any problem in five minutes or less. I drove it across the country four times. I think I could get a great deal more for that truck now.

MaryB
01-25-2022, 02:49 PM
I talked to the local dealer, why don't you get a 2022 Maverick pickup on the lot for me to check out. He said "we had 6 come in, they sold the day they came off the transport truck". Today I see an article that Ford is no longer accepting orders for them, plant that produces them is at full capacity and they can't make them any faster... dealer orders will trickle in over the next 6 months but it will be late this year before 2023 models will be able to be ordered.

I wanted to look at one/maybe buy because I can get $5k more than I paid for my 2017 Escape I bought used 1 1/2 years ago... basically the trade in will cover all but around $10k of the new pickup cost. The Maverick is built on a known platform, the Escape! I just prefer a box to an enclosed cargo compartment... So the dealer will contact me when and off they get one of the 6 they have on order... I was looking at the top level trim because that is what my Escape has and heated seats/steering wheel are a must! As is the backup camera and a good stereo system! I like my music when I am driving! It is Ford's new mini truck, perfect for my very occasional need to haul something like wood pellets for the pellet stove I heat with. Or brush to the city burn site.

nicholst55
01-25-2022, 05:54 PM
I read somewhere online that used vehicle prices are up an average of 37% from 2020, and I believe it. When I was shopping for Toyotas earlier (and walked out of the showroom), I stopped by the Ram dealer next door. They had plenty of trucks on the lot, but they must have only had one salesman at work that day. I waited for 20-30 minutes for someone to assist me, and then walked out of there, too.

The salesman at the local Toyota dealer told me that they didn't have any 4X4 Tundras in stock, but he had a 4X2 Tundra. I should have turned around and left then, but I decided to look at it. Then, the lies began. 'That 4X2 will go anywhere that a 4X4 will. It has off-road tires on it.' 'If you live in Houston, you don't need a 4X4.' 'Everybody that I sold a 4X4 pickup to last year came by a few months later, and told me they wish that they had bought a 4X2.' Finally, I replied 'Okay, hero. If 4X2 pickups are so vastly superior to 4X4s, why does anyone even make 4X4 pickups?' Crickets.

Handloader109
01-25-2022, 06:15 PM
Local dealer for Didge and Jeep has what I consider a pretty full lot. Probably 30 or more Jeeps, and 20 to 30 Rams. Way less than normal, I've seen a couple of hundred truck in his lot, but still some availability.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

TyGuy
01-25-2022, 11:27 PM
Every truck load of new cars we get in I’d wager that 75% are spoken for before they hit the pavement. The ones that aren’t pre sold don’t last long unless it’s an oddball color or trim package. There are no deals to be had but the used car market is far worse. We have used cars on the lot selling for $5-10k over what a brand new equivalent costs. I saw one a few months ago that was 3 years old with 40k HARD miles and required fairly extensive bodywork that sold for $5k over new. People are paying a premium for instant gratification.

There are a couple industrial lots near me that are packed to the gills with brand new GM trucks all waiting for chips. We have a plant nearby and I guess they are renting lot space so they can keep the lines working. The whole industry is a mess.

Idaho45guy
01-26-2022, 05:13 AM
Stopped by the Toyota dealer today to show them the tiny rust spots on the rear hatch. They said it was a known issue and caused by the hatch not getting properly cleaned before painted and that they will take care of it.

Only Toyota dealer for 50 miles and they had one new 4Runner on the lot and not a single new Tundra.

Idaho45guy
01-26-2022, 05:16 AM
I talked to the local dealer, why don't you get a 2022 Maverick pickup on the lot for me to check out. He said "we had 6 come in, they sold the day they came off the transport truck". Today I see an article that Ford is no longer accepting orders for them, plant that produces them is at full capacity and they can't make them any faster... dealer orders will trickle in over the next 6 months but it will be late this year before 2023 models will be able to be ordered.

I wanted to look at one/maybe buy because I can get $5k more than I paid for my 2017 Escape I bought used 1 1/2 years ago... basically the trade in will cover all but around $10k of the new pickup cost. The Maverick is built on a known platform, the Escape! I just prefer a box to an enclosed cargo compartment... So the dealer will contact me when and off they get one of the 6 they have on order... I was looking at the top level trim because that is what my Escape has and heated seats/steering wheel are a must! As is the backup camera and a good stereo system! I like my music when I am driving! It is Ford's new mini truck, perfect for my very occasional need to haul something like wood pellets for the pellet stove I heat with. Or brush to the city burn site.

The Hyundai Santa Cruz is better looking and better built...

Cosmic_Charlie
01-26-2022, 06:38 AM
Bought a used 2016 Toyota Avalon in the fall of 2018, touring trim. Sold for near 40K new and we paid 23.5. Had 18k miles on it. Gets about 27 mpg and has good power with the V6 motor. Timing was good on that purchase.

Lloyd Smale
01-26-2022, 07:16 AM
i usually buy a new one every 3 years. Ive got a 2020 now. Ram sent me some flyer saying they needed used trucks badly and would pay top dollar for one. So i went there. and they offered me 35 (which was book) and wouldnt discount a new one a penny and it was take whats on the lot or nothing. I went home and started looking on line and that same dealership had another dealership in a town 80 miles away. I got looking on there web sit and they had a truck IDENTICAL to mine. Same package right down to even the wheels. Only difernce is mine is burgandy and theres was grey. They were asking 45k for it. 10k more then they offered me. Now i can sure see why they want used trucks. They could take mine find some sucker to spend 10k over book for it and turn around and sell me a truck at sticker and proably make darn near that off the new one too. I called them up and told the salesman about this and he didnt have a rebuttle. I told him he could pound sand. My truck only has 30k on it and its like new and im sure not ashamed to be seen in it. Bottom line is car dealers think THEY HAVE THE CONTROLS. There crying all the way to the bank. What i worry about is they get smart over this and quit stocking a 100 trucks on a lot. Make it tough to find one and they dont have to discount them anymore. I was even told that the chev dealer here has a hidden lot and has a bunch of trucks but is only putting 2o on the lot at a time. When one sells they bring out another one.

TyGuy
01-26-2022, 09:08 AM
Lloyd, I imagine the “hidden lot” is full of trucks waiting on chips similar to the ones around here. Especially since you’re up in Michigan. It seems to be GMs standard procedure right now.

Plate plinker
01-26-2022, 09:36 AM
LLoyd they make 10K on the used truck and who knows how much on the financing of the new truck. The truth is they don.t need to make much on the sale if the buyer finances the vehicle with the dealer.

Thumbcocker
01-26-2022, 10:14 AM

The first new vehicle Mrs. Thumbcocker and I ever owned was a 1990 Nissan hardbody truck. 4 cylinder, 5 speed, am fm, with ac. Got 28 mpg and would haul 1000 pounds easily. Then all the manufacturers started making small trucks big and big trucks huge. Over the years I asked dealers about the smaller basic trucks that all the makers used to offer. The reply was usually something like "I could sell all those they would send me if they were available ". Not everyone needs a huge truck and many people would be ok with fewer bells and whistles for a utility vehicle. If you watch YouTube videos from other countries you will see lots of 4 door small trucks with a small bed, usually diesel powered, all over the place. I think, barring some defect, that Ford will sell a boatload of no frills small trucks.

dverna
01-26-2022, 10:32 AM
i usually buy a new one every 3 years. Ive got a 2020 now. Ram sent me some flyer saying they needed used trucks badly and would pay top dollar for one. So i went there. and they offered me 35 (which was book) and wouldnt discount a new one a penny and it was take whats on the lot or nothing. I went home and started looking on line and that same dealership had another dealership in a town 80 miles away. I got looking on there web sit and they had a truck IDENTICAL to mine. Same package right down to even the wheels. Only difernce is mine is burgandy and theres was grey. They were asking 45k for it. 10k more then they offered me. Now i can sure see why they want used trucks. They could take mine find some sucker to spend 10k over book for it and turn around and sell me a truck at sticker and proably make darn near that off the new one too. I called them up and told the salesman about this and he didnt have a rebuttle. I told him he could pound sand. My truck only has 30k on it and its like new and im sure not ashamed to be seen in it. Bottom line is car dealers think THEY HAVE THE CONTROLS. There crying all the way to the bank. What i worry about is they get smart over this and quit stocking a 100 trucks on a lot. Make it tough to find one and they dont have to discount them anymore. I was even told that the chev dealer here has a hidden lot and has a bunch of trucks but is only putting 2o on the lot at a time. When one sells they bring out another one.

When things are normal, dealers are forced to take inventory. Companies making vehicles do not want to store them in huge lots. They want the cash flow. If fact dealers are forced to take inventory they do not want. If a GM dealer wants a couple of Corvettes or Cameros on the lot, he will be forced to take some slow moving models as well.

Once this chip crisis is addressed, there will be a lot of 2021 models entering the market. They will want to shed them ASAP. There may be some deals in the near future. The deals on pickups and SUV's may not be as aggressive but if someone needs transportation, something like a Malibu or Impala etc could be attractive.

alamogunr
01-26-2022, 10:52 AM
I don't use my Tundra for anything but as a second vehicle. I bought it in 2013 just before the 2014's came out. The only thing on it that might be considered high tech is blue tooth for the cell phone. Everything else works by knobs or push buttons. No touch screen. I've only got ≈44k miles on it so it's hardly broken in. I quit changing my own oil when I turned 75. Now it take it to the dealer once a year regardless of miles. I posted in another thread that I would like to get one of those Ford electric trucks, but after considering all the comments, I think I'll keep this truck until I have no need(want?) for a truck.

The 2017 Avalon just turned 5 years old. I financed the car at 1.9% because it was cheaper than taking the $$ from IRA and paying taxes. Just got my title from Toyota Financial in the mail yesterday. Just like getting a raise for the next 5 or 6 years. Of course, if they take away my driving license, I'll just keep it until it is sold by the heirs.

fixit
01-26-2022, 11:13 AM
First secret to buying a vehicle..... never be so invested that you won't walk out if the sales team won't cooperate!

M-Tecs
01-26-2022, 11:47 AM
First secret to buying a vehicle..... never be so invested that you won't walk out if the sales team won't cooperate!

Normally that is true. With the current shortages the dealers have a take it or leave it attitude. If you don't buy it the next person will. People are paying over list just to get them. Hard to make deals under those circumstances.

Let's go Brandon.

NY_Treeguy
01-26-2022, 12:48 PM
Needed a second truck for the company fleet about a year ago. We typically buy lightly used as we beat them up and rack up the miles pretty quick. Started looking in the northeast and everything was rusted out, crazy high miles, and 10k more than what we paid in 2019. Looked at new but not much to choose from and anything in 4x4 was set up for a plow (don’t want or need) and 3-5k over sticker plus the cost of the plow. Ended up flying to Tennessee and driving a truck back. 8k less than a comparable truck in NY, no rust, needed $1500 in work when I got home but I budgeted for that. This year I’m bringing 2 back. One to drive and one to sell.

beezapilot
01-26-2022, 01:03 PM
About a year ago I bought a new Chevy Sliverado. Lowest model that was offered. Has a V6, crank windows, AND AN EIGHT FOOT BED. Bench seat (vinyl) rubber floor mats. Got it mighty, mighty cheap. Dealership indicated that with the falling tax revenues that municipalities were canceling orders for work trucks. It's a light duty truck, but does everything that I need it to do. I don't know if they are making them currently as the markup without the foo-foo stuff isn't much. For a basic truck can't be beat.

fatelk
01-26-2022, 01:05 PM
We haven’t had car payments in 20 years, but we drive older cars and pay cash. I’m still driving my 97 Tacoma that I bought in 01.

I can’t even imagine buying a new truck. Raising a family on a single income, that’s about as financially unthinkable as buying a yacht. We’re happy with our old vehicles.

MaryB
01-26-2022, 02:26 PM
The Hyundai Santa Cruz is better looking and better built...

And no dealer within 100 miles to service it...

dverna
01-26-2022, 08:28 PM

Exactly. I have to buy a Ford, Chev, or GMC, unless I want to drive an hour and a half for service.

But it is fine with me....I love living in the middle of nowhere.

Handloader109
01-26-2022, 09:01 PM
It is all about WANT and NEED. Do you really NEED that new truck or just want one? I'd hazard to guess 90% of new car buyers just want one, and don't really need one. I have purchased a few new vehicles over the years, but I don't ever expect to again. Way cheaper even now to buy a used vehicle. And I can't imagine a 80k truck.

M-Tecs
01-26-2022, 09:32 PM
I NEED a 4x4 pickup period. My current truck is at the end of its useful life. I would like to purchase used. The problem is in my area used 10-year-old 4x4's with 200,000 miles on it are selling for 35K or more. New ones are sometimes available for 10k to 15K more so currently in my area new is a better option for my needs. Two years ago that was not true.

My current truck was purchased with 89K on it for $10,000. It was sideswiped a couple of years ago. I received $6,000 insurance and opted live with the body damage. So for $4,000 I got 176,000 with just normal tire and brake maintenance. I would pay $20,000 for an 8-year-old truck with 90K in a heartbeat. 35K for a 10-year-old truck with 200K not a snows chance in Hades.

Let's go Brandon.

fatelk
01-26-2022, 09:47 PM

Service, what's service? I've had my little 4x4 Tacoma for 21 years, and it's been into a shop for work exactly zero times. I've never had anything go wrong with it in 21 years and 150,000 miles that I couldn't fix myself. Dang, I probably just jinxed myself...

That said, if I'd just spent more on a new truck than my house cost, I'd probably take it to a dealership. :)

farmbif
01-26-2022, 09:51 PM
m tecs is exactly right, closest I came to replacing my previous truck which was totaled, 6 yr old full size 4x4 work truck, gas engine, with 90k miles $40,000, guess what, when the chip crunch is over and things go back to normal it would not be worth very much. and I suspect people financing used vehicles now are going to way upside down when things go back to normal they will have vehicles with lots of miles on them that they owe a ton of money on and the vehicles will be worth very little. I dont drive all that much. if I spend $50k on new 2022 which is just a few grand more than what insurance sent me, it will retain value much better and the probably of getting stuck on side of road very low compared to the 20 year old f150 that's currently getting me around. and it will probably last me the rest of my life. if I lived in the city or near to a city , where tow trucks and other transportation is easy to get I might be thinking different.

Idaho45guy
01-27-2022, 04:48 AM
The Maverick is built on a known platform, the Escape!

Yeah, but the Escape is a below average reliable vehicle...

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars/ford/escape/2017/reliability

"We expect the 2022 Escape will be less reliable than the average new car. This prediction is based on data from 2020 and 2021 models. Select the used car model year to see reported issues with those similar past models."

Lloyd Smale
01-27-2022, 06:12 AM
Exactly. I have to buy a Ford, Chev, or GMC, unless I want to drive an hour and a half for service.

But it is fine with me....I love living in the middle of nowhere.

heck ill buy a chev or ram because thats what i want. if the dealership with 300 miles away id drive it. Dont need a sport utility with a box on it. not even one made in america and surely not one made overseas.

skrapyard628
01-27-2022, 11:48 AM
Im glad I bought a newer truck at the end of 2020 with all this craziness going on right now. I had been driving a rusted out 1995 Suburban K2500 for the last 10yrs and had definitely gotten my money out of it. Paid $1200 for it when I bought it, replaced fuel and brake lines, rebuilt the trans, did some suspension work, a little electrical work, and put tires on it. Doing the work myself kept some more money in my pocket. Maybe had $4000 into it with the cost of purchase and repairs/brakes/tires over 10yrs. Cant beat that. Unless you dont like working on your own vehicles. I even drove that heap from IL to MT and back a few times. And to the east coast and back towing a trailer.

I found a 2016 Ram 1500 tradesman 2wd with 60k miles on it that a local classic car dealer took in on trade. They were asking $21k for it and I got it out the door paying $19k. I didnt really need the 4x4 option since I really only ever used it when out "playing around" in mud. Im glad I bought it when I did! Seeing the prices that dealerships are asking right now is insane. I understand supply/demand and all that, but it doesnt mean I have to participate in paying the crazy prices they are listing right now.

If I was in the market for a new vehicle right now I would wait and just fix up whatever I was currently driving and wait until the market goes back to normal.

Its nice having a newer vehicle but sometimes I wonder if I really needed it. The suburban ran great and didnt have any big issues other than it took FOREVER to heat up in the winter and I looked like Joe the Junkman driving the rusted, dented truck around. It would finally be comfortable and warm by the time that I would make it to work, and that is a 30 minute drive. I like not freezing my butt off every morning in the winter now!

Ithaca Gunner
01-27-2022, 11:48 AM
I can't wrap my head around paying more for a new truck, (that I don't even like) than I paid for my house. Yes, it's been a while, but still...a huge 1/2-3/4 ton truck I need a step ladder to look under the hood or even get into, a less than 8' bed, and room in the cab for a family of 5. You have to buy a trailer if you really want to haul what used to fit in a standard 8' bed, the trucks got bigger, but the payload got smaller.

I guess I'm lucky to live where I would only have to drive 20-30 miles to buy just about any brand I want, but none of them currently make a truck I would want. I just want a standard cab, 8' bed 4x4 1/2-3/4 ton truck with a reliable drive train that hasn't started rusting in the showroom. I guess I'm looking for a good late 90's-2002 Chevy or GMC the bodies are still not too big, the V-8 engines, (particularly the 6.0L) keep going past 300,000 miles with few problems, and a standard cab 8' bed isn't unheard of. If I have to put some money in it to make it reliable, so be it, I figure I'd have a good truck, the way I want it for for around $15,000. And yes, I can buy one here for under $10,000 with little to no rot, mileage from 180,000-230,000.

The way the industry is going we won't have pick up trucks anymore, we'll have small road tractors complete with sleepers and room for six.

Handloader109
01-27-2022, 01:24 PM
It's a lot like the huge SUVs. Room for 6 to 8 adults and most drive with one or two in them 95% of the time with the addition of 2 kids the rest of the time. I had a simple Ranger back in the early 90s. Two seat bench, three if you really had to get a small adult inside. Bed as big as my full size f150. Well, 6 inches narrower, but just as long. Roughly 10k out the door. That is what Ford should have made not a 4 ft pretend bed. And the escape platform is crap.....

Idaho45guy
01-27-2022, 03:55 PM
heck ill buy a chev or ram because thats what i want. if the dealership with 300 miles away id drive it. Dont need a sport utility with a box on it. not even one made in america and surely not one made overseas.

The Ford Maverick is made in Hermosillo, Mexico.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Maverick_(2022)

The Hyundai Santa Cruz is made in Montgomery, Alabama.

https://www.madeinalabama.com/2021/04/hyundai-debuts-new-santa-cruz-ahead-of-alabama-production-launch/

Idaho45guy
01-27-2022, 04:09 PM
You think trucks are stupid and expensive now, just wait until they are all electric...

GM is going all-electric by 2035. You have 13 years to enjoy a gas or diesel-powered new pickup.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/autos/gm-go-all-electric-2035-phase-out-gas-diesel-engines-n1256055

Ford is going to be 100% electric in 8 years...

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/shock-ford-latest-carmaker-announce-all-electric-future

And Stellantis (the giant conglomerate based in Europe and parent company of Chrysler, Dodge, and Ram) is also fully committed to going all electric.

https://apnews.com/article/europe-technology-business-bc45805e244811098d032353471b0dcd

MaryB
01-27-2022, 04:12 PM
Yeah, but the Escape is a below average reliable vehicle...

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars/ford/escape/2017/reliability

"We expect the 2022 Escape will be less reliable than the average new car. This prediction is based on data from 2020 and 2021 models. Select the used car model year to see reported issues with those similar past models."

Why I paid $2k for the extended warranty and every dealer within 40 miles accepts that warranty. 100k miles no time limit full coverage warranty. It breaks I call them to come get it, being a local dealer they will give me a loaner while it is in the shop. There are 5 Ford dealers within 40 miles.

MaryB
01-27-2022, 04:21 PM
The Escape platform was redesigned in 2016, 2017 model year on got the greatly improved engine and transmission. The parts I worry about the most. The older Escape were bad, the new design is pretty dang reliable. Yes I researched before buying.

And putting up Consumer Reports is useless, I don't have a subscription so can't see it. I got reviews from actual car sites instead. KBB, Edmunds, etc. It is a decent AFFORDABLE platform. I don't have $80k to drop on a vehicle. I have to stay around $30k. Some of us have budgets and stay within them!

And right now I am skipping trying to buy. No discounts, some dealers asking over retail...

Ickisrulz
01-27-2022, 04:29 PM
You think trucks are stupid and expensive now, just wait until they are all electric...

GM is going all-electric by 2035. You have 13 years to enjoy a gas or diesel-powered new pickup.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/autos/gm-go-all-electric-2035-phase-out-gas-diesel-engines-n1256055

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/shock-ford-latest-carmaker-announce-all-electric-future

And Stellantis (the giant conglomerate based in Europe and parent company of Chrysler, Dodge, and Ram) is also fully committed to going all electric.

https://apnews.com/article/europe-technology-business-bc45805e244811098d032353471b0dcd

Your linked article for Ford says they will go all electric in Europe. Maybe they'll be the only truck manufacturer in the states that continue to make ICE vehicles. They'd sure do well.

13 years is an awfully long time. We might give up this all electric dream in a few years as problems become evident and people come to their senses.

high standard 40
01-27-2022, 04:30 PM
The Escape platform was redesigned in 2016, 2017 model year on got the greatly improved engine and transmission. The parts I worry about the most. The older Escape were bad, the new design is pretty dang reliable. Yes I researched before buying.

And putting up Consumer Reports is useless, I don't have a subscription so can't see it. I got reviews from actual car sites instead. KBB, Edmunds, etc. It is a decent AFFORDABLE platform. I don't have $80k to drop on a vehicle. I have to stay around $30k. Some of us have budgets and stay within them!

And right now I am skipping trying to buy. No discounts, some dealers asking over retail...

I have a 2016 Escape. Aside from oil & filter and wiper blade it has been completely trouble free. I have no complaints. My experience only

dverna
01-27-2022, 05:31 PM
Your linked article for Ford says they will go all electric in Europe. Maybe they'll be the only truck manufacturer in the states that continue to make ICE vehicles. They'd sure do well.

13 years is an awfully long time. We might give up this all electric dream in a few years as problems become evident and people come to their senses.

What I think as well.

I am 71, have a 2015 F150 with 65k on it and a 2016 F150 with 160K. We put on 12k each per year. In 10 years we will have 185k on one and 280k on the other, and I will be 81.

If the world has not smartened up, I will buy another ICE vehicle that will last until I am dead. I don't see the issues with electric vehicles being resolved for those of us who live in rural America.

By then, a new 4x4 truck will cost $100k-125k. Now isn't that something to look forward to?

Lloyd Smale
01-28-2022, 06:37 AM
I guess I'm lucky to live where I would only have to drive 20-30 miles to buy just about any brand I want I dont consider that lucky in ANY way

Lloyd Smale
01-28-2022, 06:37 AM

ill give that a BIG AMEN

Lloyd Smale
01-28-2022, 06:45 AM
Why I paid $2k for the extended warranty and every dealer within 40 miles accepts that warranty. 100k miles no time limit full coverage warranty. It breaks I call them to come get it, being a local dealer they will give me a loaner while it is in the shop. There are 5 Ford dealers within 40 miles.

i know extended warantees make sense to some. But i look at it like this. If they made economic sense the companys selling them would be losing money not making millions. Truthfully your probably better off taking that money to the casino or buying lotto tickets. Im probably not the one to voice an opinion on this though. I have a son in law thats a master mechanic and runs a big local diesel truck repair center and he does all my work for free and gets parts at there cost. That said though my ram is 3 years old and has never had a single issue and my 2015 wrangler has 70k on it and all its had done was brakes once (just pads) and one ball joint and one fuel injector. If i didnt have big tires on it those problems probably wouldnt have happened. I guess the way i think about it is if im buying a new truck and am worried it wont make a 100k relitively trouble free im going to switch brands.

Idaho45guy
01-28-2022, 08:32 AM
my 2015 wrangler has 70k on it and all its had done was brakes once (just pads) and one ball joint and one fuel injector. If i didnt have big tires on it those problems probably wouldnt have happened.

Why do you think larger tires caused your Jeep to have a fuel injector go bad? I can understand a ball joint failure, but believing a fuel injector failed due to larger tires is confusing to me.

MaryB
01-28-2022, 02:34 PM
i know extended warantees make sense to some. But i look at it like this. If they made economic sense the companys selling them would be losing money not making millions. Truthfully your probably better off taking that money to the casino or buying lotto tickets. Im probably not the one to voice an opinion on this though. I have a son in law thats a master mechanic and runs a big local diesel truck repair center and he does all my work for free and gets parts at there cost. That said though my ram is 3 years old and has never had a single issue and my 2015 wrangler has 70k on it and all its had done was brakes once (just pads) and one ball joint and one fuel injector. If i didnt have big tires on it those problems probably wouldnt have happened. I guess the way i think about it is if im buying a new truck and am worried it wont make a 100k relitively trouble free im going to switch brands.

My days of working on cars are over... to many injuries that cause severe pain after bending over an engine for a couple hours. So that is why the warranty. With all the electronic sin this car the warranty is a good plan.

And yes, most extended warranties never get used, same as your car insurance... this is my 100k mile insurance policy!

marlin39a
01-28-2022, 04:06 PM
When I bought my 2019 Toyota Tundra, I tired quickly of dropping the skid plate to change the oil. I did it once, and installed the TRD plate. It has a removable slot in the plate to get at the filter. Also put in a Fumoto valve to drain the oil. Makes it real easy for me to do oil changes.

alamogunr
01-28-2022, 11:06 PM
My 2013 Tundra had the skid plate too. I decided to just take it back to the dealer when I realized that at 71(age at the time) I was not up to crawling under the truck to change the oil & filter. With the advancing age and improvements in oils plus driving fewer miles each year, a hundred bucks + was not a big deal for oil change and a complete checkup. I have taken both vehicles in once a year since then.

I didn't know about the TRD plate but it wouldn't have made any difference. I still didn't want to crawl under the truck. This was also the first vehicle in several years that I didn't put the Fumoto drain valve on. No point if it wasn't an advantage to me.

Lloyd Smale
01-29-2022, 06:00 AM
Why do you think larger tires caused your Jeep to have a fuel injector go bad? I can understand a ball joint failure, but believing a fuel injector failed due to larger tires is confusing to me.

the bigger tires obviously had nothing to do with the fuel injector. But it is a bit harder on steering and brake components.

kerplode
01-29-2022, 04:58 PM
Most of the computer chips are made in Taiwan. China is now threatening them. Just wait until war breaks out and chip production is ended one way or the other.

TSMC is arguably the most important company on the face of the earth. Pretty much every electronic device produced today has something they made somewhere in its design. China knows this...They might take Taiwan, but they'll keep chip production going. If they don't, there won't be any electronic crap to sell to the US...

But yeah, car prices are crazy. I'm gonna drive my old Tacoma until it dies. Fingers crossed that's many years in the future.

MaryB
01-30-2022, 02:47 PM
There are 2+ chip plants under construction in the USA to offset Taiwan's loss of it happens(not going any further into that, it is politics), one in TX and another in IL or OH...

Shawlerbrook
01-30-2022, 02:55 PM
Looking to replace my 2008 Tundra 4x4 with a Silverado this spring. I didn’t like buying a vehicle before this crap and I am sure it will be even worse. Only good thing is as much as I drive my truck should last me ,

snowwolfe
01-30-2022, 04:18 PM
News is still not good for this topic. Recently read the big guys do not expect the chip issue to improve until 2024.
Dealers are reporting record breaking profits for last two quarters. The number of vehicles on their lots might be decreasing but they are all selling for msrp and higher. Used vehicle profits are also off the charts good for them.
Was looking for a 6 cylinder Camry last month. One dealer told me they would only sell it to me if I financed thru them or pay $1,500 premium. I passed.

Jeff Michel
01-30-2022, 04:48 PM
I put in an order for a F-450 in July, took delivery two weeks ago. The people at the Ford lot was amazed it showed up so quick.

Idaho45guy
01-30-2022, 07:33 PM
Was looking for a 6 cylinder Camry last month. One dealer told me they would only sell it to me if I financed thru them or pay $1,500 premium. I passed.

On the 4Runner forum I'm on, there is a stickied thread listing the Toyota dealerships that ONLY charge MSRP for 4Runners. Most are adding on thousands to the price.