PDA

View Full Version : winchester commemoratives finally going up

farmbif
01-24-2022, 02:12 PM
for decades now the value of winchester commemorative guns hasn't kept pace with value of the dollar. well things just might be turning around.
im watching a 24" centennial 66 on gun broker, its currently bid up to $1325. its used gun but has original box. but has scratch marks where someone who didn't know better tried to polish the 24k gold plated finish

cwtebay
01-24-2022, 03:50 PM
That would be nice for a whole lot of folks that figured that somehow the price of these would increase. For years they've been a significantly less expensive option of the "plain" version when you find them for sale (if you don't mind shiny medallions or gold plating as you mentioned).

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

FISH4BUGS
01-24-2022, 04:49 PM
I certainly would not try to make a pattern from what happens on GB.
People there are just plain stupid.
Commeratives are, and always will be, a waste of money.

NSB
01-24-2022, 05:14 PM
I think Winchester made a Commoratives at the rate of about one a month for years. They are of less value than the non-commoratives they produced. You won’t make a dime off owning these things.

Tar Heel
01-24-2022, 05:18 PM

Bingo. When folks brought in their Idaho Potato Crop & Tractor Pull Commemorative Winchester, I just rolled my eyes back. It was worth LESS than a plain new rifle retail. They just didn't get it. Never will. It's like that junk on the last page of the American Rifleman. A gold plated, silver inlaid, ruby encrusted, and otherwise bejeweled 22 Long Rifle John Wayne Hollywood Western Commemorative. Only 10,000 made. Only 6 equal payments of $500. Right next to the pheromone advert on the last page.

M-Tecs
01-24-2022, 05:22 PM
That would be nice for a whole lot of folks that figured that somehow the price of these would increase. For years they've been a significantly less expensive option of the "plain" version when you find them for sale (if you don't mind shiny medallions or gold plating as you mentioned).

About two years ago I picked up a used but excellent shape 1983 Great Western Artist II. It is #200 something of 999 produced. It did not have the case or prints. Original cost in 1983 was $2,500. I paid $325. Personally I think it's fugly but it has the most highly figure stock I own. It also doesn't have a butt pad. The butt is hand checkered wood. They were hand engraved in Italy. The engraving is low quality at best.

An example with pick here:
https://www.bradfordsauction.com/auction-lot/winchester-94-great-western-artist-rifle-w-case_2AD4B04B56

Description: Winchester Model ’94 Great Western Artists With Case and Framed Artwork. This is another one of Winchester’s great run of meaningful Commemoratives. It sports a blued 20” round barrel with a hooded bead front sight and an elevator-adjustable rear semi-buckhorn sight. The magazine tube is full-length and has two stainless steel barrel bands. This rifle’s receiver’s sides, top and upper tang are engraved with vine-floral patterns. In addition, each side of the receiver depicts different scenes that are surely inspired by Remington and C M Russell western art. The left side shows several mounted cowboys riding up to the Hoffman Hotel with arms extended and guns blazing. The right side has two mounted Indians, with rifles in hand, riding into a herd of Bison on the Western plains. On this side the artist engraved his name and the numbers 653/999. Included with this rifle, there are two framed, signed and numbered prints of the engraved scenes on the receiver. On the upper tang is an engraved, floral scrolled area with the word WINCHESTER engraved in script lettering. The Walnut forearm and buttstock are hand checkered. Caliber/ Gauge: .30-30 Cal.; Serial Number: 4835142 Working Order: Firearm has not been tested; Background Check: Required Keywords: Firearms, Guns; Ref: BD1040

Speedo66
Probably the only reason they're going up is because all guns are going up and are harder to find.

If people can't find regular guns they have to go for the bling.

FergusonTO35
Well, Henry is starting to become laden with commemoratives also!

NSB
01-24-2022, 06:47 PM
Yeah, take all of your money out of your 401k and invest it in commemoratives. Great investment.

farmbif
01-24-2022, 07:09 PM
this is what got me interest in the 26" barreled winchester. the gun broker ad is wrong stating 24" barrel. its unique for sure.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/win_centennial_66.htm

cwtebay
01-24-2022, 07:21 PM
About two years ago I picked up a used but excellent shape 1983 Great Western Artist II. It is #200 something of 999 produced. It did not have the case or prints. Original cost in 1983 was $2,500. I paid $325. Personally I think it's fugly but it has the most highly figure stock I own. It also doesn't have a butt pad. The butt is hand checkered wood. They were hand engraved in Italy. The engraving is low quality at best.

An example with pick here:
https://www.bradfordsauction.com/auction-lot/winchester-94-great-western-artist-rifle-w-case_2AD4B04B56

Description: Winchester Model ’94 Great Western Artists With Case and Framed Artwork. This is another one of Winchester’s great run of meaningful Commemoratives. It sports a blued 20” round barrel with a hooded bead front sight and an elevator-adjustable rear semi-buckhorn sight. The magazine tube is full-length and has two stainless steel barrel bands. This rifle’s receiver’s sides, top and upper tang are engraved with vine-floral patterns. In addition, each side of the receiver depicts different scenes that are surely inspired by Remington and C M Russell western art. The left side shows several mounted cowboys riding up to the Hoffman Hotel with arms extended and guns blazing. The right side has two mounted Indians, with rifles in hand, riding into a herd of Bison on the Western plains. On this side the artist engraved his name and the numbers 653/999. Included with this rifle, there are two framed, signed and numbered prints of the engraved scenes on the receiver. On the upper tang is an engraved, floral scrolled area with the word WINCHESTER engraved in script lettering. The Walnut forearm and buttstock are hand checkered. Caliber/ Gauge: .30-30 Cal.; Serial Number: 4835142 Working Order: Firearm has not been tested; Background Check: Required Keywords: Firearms, Guns; Ref: BD1040YES!! One of the ranch truck guns we have is roughly the same. I paid <$250 - original was $1650. Shoots cast beautifully!! But wow it is not a thing of beauty. At first it felt like some sort of desecration, but then I realized - it wasn't intended for anything other than hanging over your home bar.
Auctions are an awesome thing!!

Red River Rick
01-24-2022, 10:11 PM
People were duped into thinking the commemoratives were all wonderful and would increase in value. Truth is, most of them were no better made than standard off the shelf 94's. Some were actually very poorly fitted and assembled. The plating and medallions made them lucrative.

pietro
01-24-2022, 10:40 PM

I wouldn't go so far as to say that...…….

I wanted a .32 Special Winchester Model 64, but since they've become too expensive for my wallet for hunting, I bought a new Canadian Rail Road Centennial commemorative for about 1/3 the cost of a pre-64 Winchester.

What's not to like: a nice stock, nice finish, engraved receiver, 2/3 magazine, new bore, receiver peep sight prep - looks better than a pre-64 (and I don't care if it gets some hunting wear).

https://i.imgur.com/1NmcrVWl.jpg

dswancutt
01-24-2022, 11:24 PM
I certainly would not try to make a pattern from what happens on GB.
People there are just plain stupid.

I would have to respectfully disagree of GunBroker. Like it or not, GunBroker is a national market for firearms and the prices do reflect the current market trends on average. There are always outliers and it is true that auctions can inflate the value sometimes but if you average out the sold sale prices you are going to see what a gun is worth, at least on GunBroker.
I do however agree with you that Commeratives are a waste of money.

veeman
01-25-2022, 12:17 AM

I don't necessarily agree either. I bought my Chief Crazy Horse a few years ago specifically to shoot. Pre-safety, full NEW rifle barrel, not shot out, at a reasonable cost. Far better shooter for the price than an actual vintage rifle. And it is that, a great shooter!

GregLaROCHE
01-25-2022, 12:43 AM
I have quite a few guns hanging on my walls and I try to shoot them all at least once a year. I never bought a gun I didn’t intended to shoot.

samari46
01-25-2022, 01:51 AM
My first Winchester was the short 20" Canadian commerative that I believe I paid $200 for. Used and scratched but nice barrel. Stuck a Lyman globe sight up front and Williams for the rear. So for my 65th birthday I got the big brother with the 26" barrel. Nice and heavy and shoots nice. New in the box for $600. Definitely a great cast bullet rifle since I don't hunt anymore. Frank

winelover
01-25-2022, 07:58 AM
Only Commemorative Winchester I own is one my wife bought for me for X-mas one year. Will never part with it. Chambered in 22 LR depicting the Boy Scouts of America. Two tone blue and nickel with a nicely figured walnut stock. She purchased it though my friend, who was a FFL holder, at the time. IIRC, it ran less than $400 OTD, new in box, in the 80's. It's a shooter. I installed a polished blue Leo 4x rimfire scope on it. It's what I grab when varmints are raiding the bird feeders.

Winelover

indian joe
01-25-2022, 09:23 AM
I don't necessarily agree either. I bought my Chief Crazy Horse a few years ago specifically to shoot. Pre-safety, full NEW rifle barrel, not shot out, at a reasonable cost. Far better shooter for the price than an actual vintage rifle. And it is that, a great shooter!

The commemoratives I am familiar with (just a few models) I believe are way better built than the standard carbines that were being churned out at the same time. Classy wood, good fit, - I did not want a 30/30 carbine - but I did want a 38/55 with 24" octagon barrel, as a bonus the thing shoots brilliant. The gold plating rubs off easy but it doesnt mark from blackpowder residue. These guns were a bargain for years if you wanted a shooter.

TNsailorman
01-25-2022, 10:04 AM
I had a Classic Winchester with a 26" octagon barrel that was the best shooter I ever had in 30-30. It would rival some bolt guns. In a weak moment I sold it for $50.00 more than I paid for it after shooting it for 3 years. I regretted it the day after I sold it. I didn't buy it because it was a Commemorative but because it had a 26" octagon barrel and was a Winchester. I don't like engraving on a rifle but I could put up with its simple scroll engraving without the gaudy gold or silver filling. I buy rifle and handguns to shoot and not to collect or looks. Just me and not binding on anyone else, james

veeman
01-25-2022, 10:58 AM
I had my CH drilled and tapped for the Skinner peep, helped alot.

Eddie Southgate
01-25-2022, 12:00 PM
probably the only reason they're going up is because all guns are going up and are harder to find.

If people can't find regular guns they have to go for the bling.

bingo !

Eddie Southgate
01-25-2022, 12:03 PM
People were duped into thinking the commemoratives were all wonderful and would increase in value. Truth is, most of them were no better made than standard off the shelf 94's. Some were actually very poorly fitted and assembled. The plating and medallions made them ludacrous .

Fixed that spelling on the last word for you !

Eddie Southgate
01-25-2022, 12:08 PM
I wouldn't go so far as to say that...…….

I wanted a .32 Special Winchester Model 64, but since they've become too expensive for my wallet for hunting, I bought a new Canadian Rail Road Centennial commemorative for about 1/3 the cost of a pre-64 Winchester.

What's not to like: a nice stock, nice finish, engraved receiver, 2/3 magazine, new bore, receiver peep sight prep - looks better than a pre-64 (and I don't care if it gets some hunting wear).

https://i.imgur.com/1NmcrVWl.jpg

They did make a very few that were not gaudy to the point that the average person could not appreciate them . Problem with them new was the price was way high and to hold value they had to sit unfired in the box with anything that came in the box . It's not just a Winchester thing , Colt was as bad or worse .

Jeffro67
01-25-2022, 12:41 PM
Ive got the Centennial 66 in the rifle version 26 inch octagon barrel was $125 brand new when my father Bought 2 of them in 1966

farmbif
01-25-2022, 03:46 PM
I don't care what anyone says, that's a really nice looking Canada spiker 32 spl. I love the 32 spl almost as much as 35 rem. with 1-14 twist is an ideal cast boo lit shooter right out of the box. i ve got an old ugly 1964 but it shoots great and only one mold needed rcbs 32-170.

Baja_Traveler
01-25-2022, 07:24 PM
Show up to any lever gun silhouette match and you will find plenty on the racks. Most of the commemorative rifles have perfect weight and balance with the rifle length barrels for offhand silhouette shooting. My favorite is a Legendary Frontiersman 38-55 (round barrel), but I also use a Buffalo Bill 30-30 (octagon barrel) as a backup/loaner rifle. Some years ago they could be picked up new for $600, add a decent peep sight and they make a great match rifle...

19112TAP
01-26-2022, 03:35 PM
My Dad picked up a Classic 30/30 carbine back in the 70's for $100 and thought it would be worth something some day and I think he shoot it 3 times. I always liked the gun because of the extra fancy walnut stock and octagonal barrel and a couple of years ago I was visiting Dad and he brings out the Winchester and hands it to me and said happy birthday, I took it home put on a set of Lyman peep sights and proceeded to shot it and boy is it a shooter I also don't care for the scroll stamped engraving on the receiver but it's shooting gun for me.

When I lived in Northern Iowa I rented off a gentleman that let me see his gun collection one day and his gun room was a sight to see but he had two of it seemed like every collector series that had been made up to that date and the boxes to go with them they covered two walls he said he was collecting them for his two sons. Maybe they will have a collection worth something someday but I thought at the time they looked terrible and was not impressed.

indian joe
01-26-2022, 06:41 PM
Show up to any lever gun silhouette match and you will find plenty on the racks. Most of the commemorative rifles have perfect weight and balance with the rifle length barrels for offhand silhouette shooting. My favorite is a Legendary Frontiersman 38-55 (round barrel), but I also use a Buffalo Bill 30-30 (octagon barrel) as a backup/loaner rifle. Some years ago they could be picked up new for $600, add a decent peep sight and they make a great match rifle...

Mine is an Oliver F Winchester 38/55 - octagonal barrel - bought supposedly NIB unfired (I had sold a couple of 92's off as collectors for good money and used part of the proceeds) - it sat in the rack unfired for almost 12 months with a pack of commemorative ammo beside the butt - I walked in there one lunchtime, (must have had a bit of attitude going on) looked at that gold plated ornament, what a useless piece of junk!, grabbed it down and some loaded rounds, paper target was already up on my backyard range, I ripped three at 50 yards leaning over the bonnet of my pickup. holy smokes! cover those with my thumbnail! - next weekend I carefully loaded 10 blackpowder rounds and shot at 100 yards using a plastic fertiliser bag full of dirt as a benchrest - similar result ! this thing is a shooter - ooooops - ten shots leaning on that woven plastic bag had removed the gold plating off the sharp edges of the bottom of the action - aint NIB unfired anymore - now its a shooter for sure.

Have had thoughts about trying to remove all the bling plating and blue it - would look a lot better I bet but am told those actions are difficult to blue and how would we get all the bling off - would need sandblasting ----just a bunch of trouble - gain aint worth the pain. I reckon its about the best lever gun shooter I have had (theres been a good few)

Bigslug
01-27-2022, 01:08 AM
Have had thoughts about trying to remove all the bling plating and blue it - would look a lot better I bet but am told those actions are difficult to blue and how would we get all the bling off - would need sandblasting ----just a bunch of trouble - gain aint worth the pain. I reckon its about the best lever gun shooter I have had (theres been a good few)

Four words: Gloss Black Spray Paint

You could tell everyone at the range it's the 1 of 100 Krylon Edition and say it's up for sale at $17,000.:mrgreen:

Bad Ass Wallace
01-27-2022, 01:27 AM
My cast boolit sillhouette gun is a Legendary Frontiersman 38-55 that I bought for $AU600 over 20 years ago. Locally these same "fancy" guns are selling for $AU800-1,000.

indian joe
01-27-2022, 07:14 AM
Four words: Gloss Black Spray Paint

You could tell everyone at the range it's the 1 of 100 Krylon Edition and say it's up for sale at $17,000.:mrgreen:

nah save that for your tacticool wannabe armyboy gunz. Mine has a wooden handle - wouldnt match the paint at all.

indian joe
01-27-2022, 07:24 AM
My cast boolit sillhouette gun is a Legendary Frontiersman 38-55 that I bought for $AU600 over 20 years ago. Locally these same "fancy" guns are selling for $AU800-1,000.

Wallace - if you/we could get a Legendary Frontiersman NIB or nearly for $1000 would be a bargain price for a fine quality shooter I reckon. I woulda preferred a Frontiersman to my OFW ..................... I have a box of commemorative ammo that goes with your gun

remy3424
01-27-2022, 07:52 AM
I will tell my father to try to unload his 2 John Wayne commemoratives and trash the worthless boxes he has been holding on to. Guessing there is no interest in them, so why trouble him....he seems to enjoy having them.

Mytmousemalibu
01-27-2022, 08:08 AM
I have my dads 94' Canadian Bicentennial, a very pretty gun and tastefully done, not tacky looking. He bought it for the only reason he wanted a Winchester with a heavy octagonal barrel which this one has. Its a shame these are so under appreciated.

Bigslug
01-29-2022, 12:45 PM
Bingo. When folks brought in their Idaho Potato Crop & Tractor Pull Commemorative Winchester. . .

Personally, I've been trying to track down the complete set of the "Voyage of Discovery Defecation Collection" which commemorated the significant bowel movements of the Lewis and Clark Expedition; Lewis's first on entering the Louisiana Purchase; Clark's first after reaching the Pacific; the entire company's on being charged by their first grizzly bear (.45-70). The rarest of the set are stocked with wood from trees Lewis's Dog Seaman are known to have lifted his leg to (gold plated). Those represent true class in arms making.:wink:

I also would not "gauge the wind" off any Gunbroker activity unless you are noting a significant trend in actual bidding, but I guess you could say they are probably the best source of low-mileage Winchester 94's out there these days. Some of the less blingy ones with "no box" depreciation are probably not bad options.

indian joe
01-29-2022, 09:45 PM
Personally, I've been trying to track down the complete set of the "Voyage of Discovery Defecation Collection" which commemorated the significant bowel movements of the Lewis and Clark Expedition; Lewis's first on entering the Louisiana Purchase; Clark's first after reaching the Pacific; the entire company's on being charged by their first grizzly bear (.45-70). The rarest of the set are stocked with wood from trees Lewis's Dog Seaman are known to have lifted his leg to (gold plated). Those represent true class in arms making.:wink:

I also would not "gauge the wind" off any Gunbroker activity unless you are noting a significant trend in actual bidding, but I guess you could say they are probably the best source of low-mileage Winchester 94's out there these days. Some of the less blingy ones with "no box" depreciation are probably not bad options.

It would be interesting to poll the blokes slinging mud at the commemoratives and get an answer how many black paint and plastic stocked modern crap-o-matics they have stashed in the cupboard - picaninny rails - and flash hiders .................?

cwtebay
01-29-2022, 10:40 PM
It would be interesting to poll the blokes slinging mud at the commemoratives and get an answer how many black paint and plastic stocked modern crap-o-matics they have stashed in the cupboard - picaninny rails - and flash hiders .................?You are right Indian Joe. I am not cussing them at all, I have found them to be wonderful shooting guns!
And I do get your one man's trash implications!
(See below)https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220130/c8643d898e8a55b0dcddf1259d6e2f21.jpg

sharps4590
01-30-2022, 09:16 AM
You are right Indian Joe. I am not cussing them at all, I have found them to be wonderful shooting guns!
And I do get your one man's trash implications!
(See below)https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220130/c8643d898e8a55b0dcddf1259d6e2f21.jpg

Hey!!! I saw that.....uhhhh.....rifle(?)....at what was supposed to be a gun show. Only difference is the one I saw had a single burner Coleman stove on a rail on the collapsible butt.

farmbif
01-30-2022, 09:41 AM
gotta love the hood ornament on top of the scope

georgerkahn
01-30-2022, 09:42 AM
for decades now the value of winchester commemorative guns hasn't kept pace with value of the dollar. well things just might be turning around.
im watching a 24" centennial 66 on gun broker, its currently bid up to $1325. its used gun but has original box. but has scratch marks where someone who didn't know better tried to polish the 24k gold plated finish

Several years back I had a yearning for a .38-55 and eventually saw one in a local shop. The Legendary Frontiersman, I also bought a few boxes of Win ammo, so labeled, to accompany it. While I never purchased either as "an investment" I recently saw some of the ammo being SOLD at a gun show for about five times what I gave for it. I have no recollection what I paid for the rifle, nor what it may today be worth. I had the yearning to buy it at the time; and when I shine a flashlight beam in safe and see it -- still happy it is mine. Maybe a bit dysfunctional, compared to others -- but MY take on rifles. Yes -- perhaps the Commemoratives were/are a chintzy attempt to boost sales -- but it worked for them as well as me in, at least, I got a pretty .38-55 :)!
geo

Bigslug
01-30-2022, 12:09 PM
It would be interesting to poll the blokes slinging mud at the commemoratives and get an answer how many black paint and plastic stocked modern crap-o-matics they have stashed in the cupboard - picaninny rails - and flash hiders .................?

I counter with the compass and the thing that tells time in the stock of your Red Ryder. :drinks:

I just did a quick skim through the Winchester Commemorative section of the Blue Book. A number of them are about what you'd expect - a short run of a few hundred guns. Some of them, however, look to have production numbers in the five digit range.

Makes me wonder if anyone has ever sat down and figured out what percentage of the total production of 1894's were dolled-up commemorative models.

And all joking aside, considering how high both Winchester and Remington rose, and how hard they fell, it would make for an interesting study of socio-economics to look at what killed them. The commemoratives were probably not the disease, but may well have been a symptom.

indian joe
01-31-2022, 10:24 PM
I counter with the compass and the thing that tells time in the stock of your Red Ryder. :drinks:

I just did a quick skim through the Winchester Commemorative section of the Blue Book. A number of them are about what you'd expect - a short run of a few hundred guns. Some of them, however, look to have production numbers in the five digit range.

Makes me wonder if anyone has ever sat down and figured out what percentage of the total production of 1894's were dolled-up commemorative models.

And all joking aside, considering how high both Winchester and Remington rose, and how hard they fell, it would make for an interesting study of socio-economics to look at what killed them. The commemoratives were probably not the disease, but may well have been a symptom.

I think the bean counters killed winchester ---or maybe it was the lack of a big enough war ? (joe is workin on that as we write)

Rather than upgrade equipment and continue making quality firearms - in 1964? they went in to what I call their diecast and plastic phase -

I once owned a model 150 LA carbine in 22RF - the diecast alloy action failed after about ten years - yeah I used it - it was a fun gun to shoot with and accurate but poorly designed and cheaply constructed .

They cheapened the design of the 94 - those post '64 carbines were rough and clunky all because of the change in mainspring and elimination of the little stirrup piece -- inproved some later with a coil mainspring but really how much did this save?

For me the one that escaped was the model 70 (this will get lots of argument!) I wore out a 1970 vintage 22/250 in serious work shooting - it is a fine rifle, accurate, pretty wood, that gun educated me to detest mauser actions

M-Tecs
01-31-2022, 10:49 PM
For me the one that escaped was the model 70 (this will get lots of argument!) I wore out a 1970 vintage 22/250 in serious work shooting - it is a fine rifle, accurate, pretty wood, that gun educated me to detest mauser actions

We need the rest of the story on this one.

cwtebay
01-31-2022, 11:01 PM
I think the bean counters killed winchester ---or maybe it was the lack of a big enough war ? (joe is workin on that as we write)

Rather than upgrade equipment and continue making quality firearms - in 1964? they went in to what I call their diecast and plastic phase -

I once owned a model 150 LA carbine in 22RF - the diecast alloy action failed after about ten years - yeah I used it - it was a fun gun to shoot with and accurate but poorly designed and cheaply constructed .

They cheapened the design of the 94 - those post '64 carbines were rough and clunky all because of the change in mainspring and elimination of the little stirrup piece -- inproved some later with a coil mainspring but really how much did this save?

For me the one that escaped was the model 70 (this will get lots of argument!) I wore out a 1970 vintage 22/250 in serious work shooting - it is a fine rifle, accurate, pretty wood, that gun educated me to detest mauser actionsI get the rant part of your post, I don't know what you mean by that 22-250?

indian joe
02-01-2022, 01:22 AM
We need the rest of the story on this one.

the (mauser) claw extractor - cant drop a round in the chamber and close the bolt - my post 64 model 70 - its simple and easy - keep the magazine full you might need em all when you turn the next corner

M-Tecs
02-01-2022, 01:41 AM
the (mauser) claw extractor - cant drop a round in the chamber and close the bolt - my post 64 model 70 - its simple and easy - keep the magazine full you might need em all when you turn the next corner

I enjoyed the long version of the story. Thanks. I was just going to reply when it disappeared.

On the 98's the extractor can be modified to snap over the case head or topped off thru the swing floor plate if it has one. As you stated the push feed very easy to top off.

Bad Ass Wallace
02-01-2022, 04:52 AM
Asking $AU17,000 for this!

https://usedguns.com.au/gun/327383/

M-Tecs
02-01-2022, 06:20 AM
Asking $AU17,000 for this!

https://usedguns.com.au/gun/327383/

Two the actually sold here for $6,900 and $10,925. They are actually very nice looking but I would have hard time taking it deer hunting.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/59/3720/winchester-94-carbine-3030-win

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/78/1743/giovanelli-engraved-winchester-model-94-statue-of-liberty

The engraver is the same one that did my Winchester Model 94 Great Western Artists II Commemorative. Mine looks a drunken third grader on crack engraved mine. For $325.00 mine makes a fine deer rifle. https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/79/724/winchester-great-western-artists-ii-model-94-carbine

LabGuy
02-06-2022, 04:51 PM
In 1985 I bought a Dodge “Marksman” edition pickup. I came with a Dodge Ram commemorative Win 94. I kept it unfired in box until 2018. Found at it was probably worth less than a non-commemorative model. So I took it out for some air. I have been using it when I teach Rifle and Range Safety Officer classes. Lately I have gotten the hankering to shoot it. Right in the middle of the everything shortage. I now have a mould, gas checks, and everything else I need, except a sizing die I just ordered from Lathesmith. So maybe around the end of March I’ll be shooting it.

Just plain Bill
02-13-2022, 12:38 AM
The first Winchester Commemorative Rifle I ever saw was the 1967 Canadian Centennial with the 26" Octagonal barrel. It belonged to one of my dad's friends. I was only 10 years old then and I fell in love with that rifle the second I laid eyes on it. The next year when the Buffalo Bill guns came out, I thought they were just as cool and I was going crazy trying to dream up how I would get $129.00 to buy one and talk my dad into signing for it. By the summer of 72 I started cutting grass in our Neiborhood and when I made enough cash and sweet talked my dad into letting me buy one, we went to the local Gunshop to get one but, none could be found. I week later they found me a Lone Star Commemorative Rifle and the next year I shot my first deer with that gun. I have purchased a few other of the Commemorative Rifles over the years and enjoy them very much. The Chief Crazy Horse was the last one I ever bought. It seems hard to believe people are bashing these fine old guns.

M-Tecs
02-13-2022, 12:52 AM
The first Winchester Commemorative Rifle I ever saw was the 1967 Canadian Centennial with the 26" Octagonal barrel. It belonged to one of my dad's friends. I was only 10 years old then and I fell in love with that rifle the second I laid eyes on it. The next year when the Buffalo Bill guns came out, I thought they were just as cool and I was going crazy trying to dream up how I would get $129.00 to buy one and talk my dad into signing for it. By the summer of 72 I started cutting grass in our Neiborhood and when I made enough cash and sweet talked my dad into letting buy one, we went to the local Gunshop to get one but, none could be found. I week later they found me a Lone Star Commemorative Rifle and the next year I shot my first deer with that gun. I have purchased a few other of the Commemorative Rifles over the years and enjoy them very much. The Chief Crazy Horse was the last one I ever bought. It seems hard to believe people are bashing these fine old guns.

It's not the guns that are being bashed. Some commemoratives are very nice and some not so much. What is being bashed is (for the most part) they were a very poor investment. As a hunting gun some are way too shinny so you can purchase them for less than a non-commemorative.

Bent Ramrod
02-16-2022, 11:19 AM
A friend of mine got out of general stamp collecting, IIRC, in the early-to-mid 80’s.

It wasn’t bad enough, he groused, that the Post Office had dropped the engraved printing plates for the offset lithograph process (I think that was how he described it, various color blobs shoved together without lined boundaries vs the fine-line banknote look of the previous issues), but now they were, as he called it, “manufacturing collectors’ items.” And, sure enough, I started noticing that every time I went to buy stamps (for using, not collecting), I was offered a bewildering array of short-run commemorations of everything from the Alamo Sesquicentennial to pop historical figures to various celebrations of “Love” in all its guises. For some reason, I was able to resist the compulsion to “Collect Them All!!!”

I’d have a hard time imagining that binders full of these manufactured collectors’ items would set any bidding records at a Sotheby’s auction, but I do have to admit, too, that I seem to be more and more out of touch with the thinking processes of the younger generations anymore. So maybe these Franklin Mint commemoratives and these factory offerings of standard models dressed up with brass-plated receivers with computer “engraving” will ring somebody’s chimes, but they don’t do much for me.

Another friend, who is profoundly uninterested in guns was offered one of these Commemorative Winchesters as an investment. At this late date, I can’t recall whether it was the Eastern New Jersey Waste Management Association Commemorative or the Florida Panhandle Proctologist’s Association Commemorative, but it was without box or papers and had been fired. He asked around and found that what appreciation these guns experienced (and it wasn’t much, back then) only happened with those specimens which had not been fired, cocked, or even removed from the packaging. If any of these things happened, the gun was merely a dolled-up shooter, awaiting that distinct minority that didn’t mind taking a rather garish gun into the field. He passed.

There is a real opportunity here, for those of free and easy virtue. Carefully open the box, remove the gun without disturbing papers or wrapping, insert the appropriate weight of 2x4 and steel pipe taped together, reseal the package undetectably, use the gun as needed and sell the package to a “serious collector,” who will never open it. Shoot the gun as one wishes, and sell it when boredom sets in. Who’s gonna know?

indian joe
02-17-2022, 07:33 AM
A friend of mine got out of general stamp collecting, IIRC, in the early-to-mid 80’s.

It wasn’t bad enough, he groused, that the Post Office had dropped the engraved printing plates for the offset lithograph process (I think that was how he described it, various color blobs shoved together without lined boundaries vs the fine-line banknote look of the previous issues), but now they were, as he called it, “manufacturing collectors’ items.” And, sure enough, I started noticing that every time I went to buy stamps (for using, not collecting), I was offered a bewildering array of short-run commemorations of everything from the Alamo Sesquicentennial to pop historical figures to various celebrations of “Love” in all its guises. For some reason, I was able to resist the compulsion to “Collect Them All!!!”

I’d have a hard time imagining that binders full of these manufactured collectors’ items would set any bidding records at a Sotheby’s auction, but I do have to admit, too, that I seem to be more and more out of touch with the thinking processes of the younger generations anymore. So maybe these Franklin Mint commemoratives and these factory offerings of standard models dressed up with brass-plated receivers with computer “engraving” will ring somebody’s chimes, but they don’t do much for me.

Another friend, who is profoundly uninterested in guns was offered one of these Commemorative Winchesters as an investment. At this late date, I can’t recall whether it was the Eastern New Jersey Waste Management Association Commemorative or the Florida Panhandle Proctologist’s Association Commemorative, but it was without box or papers and had been fired. He asked around and found that what appreciation these guns experienced (and it wasn’t much, back then) only happened with those specimens which had not been fired, cocked, or even removed from the packaging. If any of these things happened, the gun was merely a dolled-up shooter, awaiting that distinct minority that didn’t mind taking a rather garish gun into the field. He passed.

There is a real opportunity here, for those of free and easy virtue. Carefully open the box, remove the gun without disturbing papers or wrapping, insert the appropriate weight of 2x4 and steel pipe taped together, reseal the package undetectably, use the gun as needed and sell the package to a “serious collector,” who will never open it. Shoot the gun as one wishes, and sell it when boredom sets in. Who’s gonna know?

Did people really buy these things and not open the package? really?

I had already had a couple 30/30's and a 375 BB ---I wanted a longer barrel and I wanted a 38/55 - sold a worn out 92 package deal to a collector and that got me the O F Winchester commemorative - I would like it better if the gold plating would change into Blue finish but its a quality, well built gun, smooth action, scary accurate, and I like it to shoot. Therein lies the problem, I seem to want to keep the ones that shoot good and moreso if I happen to shoot them good - its been easy to overlook the paint job on this one!!

Geezer in NH
02-18-2022, 05:23 PM
20 years of gun auctions at the big Auctioneers the only Win Com that drew any cross bids were the ones in 38/55. Some went way over a Grand while all the others did not get bid to non-commemorative copies.

In my shop a commemorative I would onlyoffer1/2 what a non com would be worth. I had to make money to stay open and commemoratives don't make any worth bothering with IMHO

popper
02-18-2022, 06:45 PM
Nephew's FIL was big on western guns, colts and Winchesters. Gave his daughter and new SIL each a commemorative 30/30. Yup, pretty but just a rifle. He had a big room of guns that went on consignment when he passed and she didn't get much $.

indian joe
02-18-2022, 07:53 PM
20 years of gun auctions at the big Auctioneers the only Win Com that drew any cross bids were the ones in 38/55. Some went way over a Grand while all the others did not get bid to non-commemorative copies.

In my shop a commemorative I would onlyoffer1/2 what a non com would be worth. I had to make money to stay open and commemoratives don't make any worth bothering with IMHO

makes an interesting question - how many would they have sold if they had offered a blued 94 in 38/55 - classic rifle configuration - 24inch octagon barrel, decent wood, gently curved buttplate, maybe the semi pistol grip stock ?

I am not a fan of what they did but there were some nice guns among them (the 38/55's) and some equally not nice (brass plated carbines in 44/40 for starters) - I got a nice shooter out of it for cheap $'s