PDA

View Full Version : making jackets

acemedic13
01-18-2009, 03:25 PM
What is the name of the tool used to form copper jackets out of copper tubing?? I want to be able to buy copper tubing at lowes and make jackets out of it. Is it a draw die? I am not sure. What is the price of one of these suckers?? Thanks guys. Joel

Red River Rick
01-18-2009, 03:34 PM
Soft copper tubing in coils will not work. You need "Hard" tubing available in lengths.

Corbin offers dies for making jackets out of hard copper tubing, they are not cheap and are usually used for making "Odd'" or "Obsolete" bullets. Because there is a readily available supply of jackets out there, you may want to reconsider.

RRR

trevj
01-18-2009, 03:45 PM
I've been looking at the Corbin site, and frankly, the prices seem out of line, for a working class guy that can't write off the costs against a business income.

The jacket forming stuff on Corbin's site looks pretty basic. Just standard press die practice.

The devil is in the details, though.

Been pondering a set of dies to punch thinner copper sheet than the .030" that they sell, and in smaller diameters.

J4's at $50 a thousand are a bargain, compared to the cost of a set of dies.

Cheers
Trev

Ballard
01-18-2009, 03:59 PM
Where are you getting the J4 jackets at that price? I'd love to find J4s for $50 per thousand.

trevj
01-18-2009, 04:33 PM
Whups!

I mis-spoke!

$45 per 500 jackets, per Corbin's Catalog.

I was looking at the .22 ones a few days back.

Sorry!

Yeaah, I could see how you would rather get them at that price! :)

Cheers
Trev

MIBULLETS
01-18-2009, 05:39 PM
I currently make tubing jackets for my 358 bullets. I got the dies 1/2 price from Corbin last year. (old M dies, but they work fine in my S Press). I have used both the hard copper pipe and the soft coils from the hardware store. The coil is harder to work with but the jackets are softer in the end. I don't get cracks in the bases either. I can't seem to completely eliminate them with the hard copper, even though I aneal them.

acemedic13, what caliber were you thinking of making?

acemedic13
01-18-2009, 05:44 PM
I see what you all mean about cost. I want the ability to be a little more self sufficient as opposed to "stockpiling" stuff.I am looking at the long term. I will buy jackets to start. I would eventually like to graduate to making everything myself. I know very little about swaging. I am going to crawl into it.

Is the process for forming a jacket and swaging the bullet, cutting the proper length of copper, forming the jacket, then inserting the core and seating the core, then swaging the core and forming the tip??? I dont know the process in it's entireity, but thats how it looks and sounds to me. Thanks guys. Joel

Ballard
01-18-2009, 06:41 PM
I am considering get jacket making dies for .25. Having a heckuva time finding 25 caliber jackets for sale.

rbt50
01-19-2009, 01:36 AM
I am considering get jacket making dies for .25. Having a heckuva time finding 25 caliber jackets for sale.

if you can find .308 jackets it would be cheaper to get a jacket reducing die.i am going to be making 25 cal down the road and that is what i am going to do.

Ballard
01-19-2009, 07:35 PM
rbt,
Can you go from .308 to .257 with one die? Who is making yours?

MIBULLETS
01-19-2009, 07:54 PM
I believe it is possible to go from 30 to 25 in one die. You will probably need to trim them shorter and to square up the jacket mouth though. I have reduced 44 cal jackets to 35 cal without any problems in one die and the mouth was fine.

J4 does make 25 cal jackets you can buy. I tried to attach J4's most current price list but it is too big. Anyway the 25 cal jackets are about 14.8 cents a piece.

Ballard
01-19-2009, 09:05 PM
I just got a batch of jackets from J4. .25s are not available at the moment. Maybe they will be soon. Sure would make life easier.

teddyblu
01-20-2009, 12:09 AM
bruno shooters supply lists 25 cal j4 jackets in their web page. I dont know if they have any in stock. If you bring up their web page jackets are listed down the left sidel.

Larrys

rbt50
01-20-2009, 12:37 AM
i talked to richard corbin a few weeks back and he said one die would do it,

acemedic13
01-26-2009, 05:14 AM
i talked to richard corbin a few weeks back and he said one die would do it,

What was the name of the die, and is it posted on the site? Or is a it a special order item? Thanks rbt50....Joel