PDA

View Full Version : New to Forum

Old_Dog
01-18-2009, 01:10 PM
Just joined the forum after lurking around for a while.:coffeecom I have been casting boolits for a few years for my 44 (429421) and my 30-30 (311291) with some success. My lead supply consist of pure lead and Linotype. For the 44 in the past I have used straight lino and for the 30 I have used a 50/50 mix. Though for the last batch of 30s I added a ingot of 10% tin ( the only one I had) to the mix. My question is is what mix would you recommend using just pure lead and lino? I have just obtained molds for 38/357 (Lee 140 swc), 30 (Lee 113 gc), 45/70 (Lyman 457483) and 22 (Lyman 225415). I do plan on trying paper patching in the vary near future.

dromia
01-18-2009, 01:44 PM
Welcome aboard Old Dog :-D:drinks::-D

You don't say what velocities you are shooting at but anything up to around 1600 fps doesn't need to be too hard BHN 12 or so would do provided you have good boolit fit.

You don't need to add much tin to the mix, I would say 10% is a bit high. If I'm adding tin, and I only do this to aid fill out, then a smidgen say 1-2% does, any more doesn't seem to make much diffrence. If I want harder I'll water drop or heat treat.

Regarding your mix 50/50 seems a good starting point for all those calibres. Me I'd vary it depending on what was the easiest and cheapest to get. Where I am linotype is harder to get and dearer than lead so I'd be looking at a 60 - 40 or even a 70 - 30 lead to lino mix.

I like to keep my boolits a soft as circumstances will allow.

Matt_G
01-18-2009, 03:17 PM
Welcome!

It seems that alloy consistent with today's wheel weights is good for most applications. For low velocities, you can go even softer. Many folks here cut their WW alloy 50/50 with pure.

Since Lino is 4% Sn, 12% Sb, and 84% Pb and wheel weights are roughly 0.5% Sn, 2-3% Sb and the rest lead (with a trace of arsenic) I think a mix of 4 parts pure to 1 part lino should give you a mix that is close to typical WW alloy. It will have a little more tin in it than WW alloy, and of course no arsenic. The lack of arsenic is of no concern unless you want to heat treat for max hardness. Note that they would still heat treat well, it's just that the arsenic would allow an even greater level of hardness to be attained.

HTH

jdgabbard
01-18-2009, 03:23 PM
I'll second the notion that 10% tin is too high. When I cast handgun boolits I have found that straight WW alloy throws boolits that are a tad bit heavy for the mold. If I bring my tin content up to 1% in the WW alloy by adding 50/50 solder then I get better fill out, and boolits that are right on spec with what the company says the mold will drop. Give or take a gn of course.