PDA

View Full Version : Strange Modified Ideal RB Mold

BP Dave
01-22-2022, 11:22 AM
I stumbled on this on the 'net and can't understand what it is. Someone obviously went to a lot of effort--at least for part of the job; portions of the work look fairly precision but other aspects seem kind of primitive. The tiny pins look like watch band retaining pins--not sure how those would hold up. The underlying mold is an Ideal 389141 round ball.

Is it for making miniature bar shot? Lead golf tees? Some kind of Hoxie bullet? I'm sure somebody knows, but that somebody is not me.

--DJ

Mk42gunner
01-22-2022, 08:26 PM
Kind of reminds me of a mold for casting fishing jig heads, but what an expensive way to make it.

Robert

Kylongrifle32
01-23-2022, 12:20 AM
Sure looks like it's been converted over to a long collar jig head mold. Hook eye goes in the top opening and hook shank goes out the bottom

Doubles Shooter
01-23-2022, 08:33 AM
I'll stick with my Do-It molds. Looks like it could be a pain putting the hook eye on those small locator pins. A+ for creativity.

RustyReel
01-23-2022, 02:10 PM
Sure looks like it's been converted over to a long collar jig head mold. Hook eye goes in the top opening and hook shank goes out the bottom

Yep, that's what it looks like to me as well.

jsizemore
01-23-2022, 05:57 PM

I guess you don't close the sprue plate?

BP Dave
01-23-2022, 08:41 PM
Well, I would not have guessed. Would have made for interesting ballistics, but probably better off letting somebody catch fish with it.

Thanks, all, for satisfying my curiosity.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-29-2022, 03:59 PM
I have a Ideal mold that was converted for a fishing weight.
I wonder if this is similar type of conversion?