PDA

View Full Version : 45 Colt, Schofield, and Longshot

jordanka16
01-21-2022, 11:07 PM
I have a 625-6 Mountain Gun in .45 colt on the way. One of my dream guns, but I don't currently load or shoot .45 Colt. I managed to find a few cases to tide me over until starline lets me order a larger amount.

The other issue is powder, the favorite seems to be unique but I have very little of it. I do have Longshot though, quite a bit. Hodgdon lists it for their high pressure loads and a 300 gr bullet, I plan to shoot the MP 454-640 which is about 280 grains. The starting load is about 21k cup at 1000fps, which is exactly the velocity I want. From my reading the 625 won't handle ruger pressure but it will handle effectively .45+p. Since I'm using a lighter bullet pressure will be even lower so it sounds fine to me, any thoughts.

Someone on another forum suggested buying schofield brass, and that's fine except I can only find super weak schofield data for the shorter cases. Anyone know of a place for data for the shorter cases?

DougGuy
01-21-2022, 11:42 PM
You would have to get someone with resources such as QuickLoad or other pressure calculating methods because like you said, no Schofield +p data is published. QL is a good investment.

Before Osammy signed off on his EO in 2016 I converted a medium frame New Model Vaquero in 45ACP to 45 Schofield. I finally got a LBT 250gr OWC wadcutter to 1200fps with H110 and stayed under the 23,000psi pressure ceiling. That's bumping right right up to the back door of the 44 Magnum. Recoil was snappy, but not sharp and certainly didn't wring the gun skyward like a 30,000psi Ruger Only load would have. This is now my go-to woodswalker and a great hunting load.

jreidthompson1
01-22-2022, 01:47 AM
See posts #9 and #13 longshot is listed in tier 1 and tier 3

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcastboolits%2Egunloads%2Ec om%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D411111&share_tid=411111&share_fid=9688&share_type=t&link_source=app

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

jordanka16
01-22-2022, 01:58 AM
Excellent, thanks guys. And Track has .45 colt brass for a sane price in stock, so I'm set there. Just need to wait for the mold to be in stock and I'll be set.

georgerkahn
01-22-2022, 07:58 AM
"Someone on another forum suggested buying schofield brass, and that's fine except I can only find super weak schofield data for the shorter cases. Anyone know of a place for data for the shorter cases? "

Just an added bit of trivia (?) for you... The .45 Colt case is 1.29" in length (1.6" COAL) while the Smith & Wesson .45 Schofield case is 1.00" in length (1.43"COAL). I have had some "same-cartridge-different-case-length" experiences through the years, and none were -- at least vis pleasing to the eye -- good.

To "teach" my sons revolver shooting, I outfitted a Savage single-shot revolver with .22 Shorts. After quite a few -- many hundreds? -- were passed through it, a RING was formed at the front of .22 short case. A .22 long rifle would not chamber! (My cleaning/alllmost elimination of this is not germane to this thread). I, too have a 625 -- which I, too adore. After many years of shooting .45 Colt cartridges I had cast for and loaded some .45 Schofield for another gun (Vaquero) and was both low on 'Colt while having lots of 'Schofield cases for a range trip.

When I got home and cleaned my 625, I discovered a quite clear ring from the 0.29" Schofield's shorter cartridge use! No -- it was not (from this one range trip -- maybe 60 shots) enough to impede longer Colt cartridge loading. BUT -- to this day, one can still see the dark rings in cylinder from the shorter cases. It probably (?) might not be noticeable on a blued revolver, but... ours are Stainless.

"Stainless" is the operative word -- and :) not the case if firing 'Schofield in a stainless 'Colt revolver!

Just something for you to cog about...

geo

375supermag
01-22-2022, 09:11 AM
"Someone on another forum suggested buying schofield brass, and that's fine except I can only find super weak schofield data for the shorter cases. Anyone know of a place for data for the shorter cases? "

Just an added bit of trivia (?) for you... The .45 Colt case is 1.29" in length (1.6" COAL) while the Smith & Wesson .45 Schofield case is 1.00" in length (1.43"COAL). I have had some "same-cartridge-different-case-length" experiences through the years, and none were -- at least vis pleasing to the eye -- good.

To "teach" my sons revolver shooting, I outfitted a Savage single-shot revolver with .22 Shorts. After quite a few -- many hundreds? -- were passed through it, a RING was formed at the front of .22 short case. A .22 long rifle would not chamber! (My cleaning/alllmost elimination of this is not germane to this thread). I, too have a 625 -- which I, too adore. After many years of shooting .45 Colt cartridges I had cast for and loaded some .45 Schofield for another gun (Vaquero) and was both low on 'Colt while having lots of 'Schofield cases for a range trip.

When I got home and cleaned my 625, I discovered a quite clear ring from the 0.29" Schofield's shorter cartridge use! No -- it was not (from this one range trip -- maybe 60 shots) enough to impede longer Colt cartridge loading. BUT -- to this day, one can still see the dark rings in cylinder from the shorter cases. It probably (?) might not be noticeable on a blued revolver, but... ours are Stainless.

"Stainless" is the operative word -- and :) not the case if firing 'Schofield in a stainless 'Colt revolver!

Just something for you to cog about...

geo

This is exactly the reason why I don't ever shoot .38Spl rounds in my .357Mag revolvers or .44Spl rounds in my .44Mag revolvers. Not worth the cleaning hassle of removing that ring in the cylinder chambers.
I just bought handguns chambered in .38Spl and .44Spl. More guns is a good thing, right?