PDA

View Full Version : Lee sizing die problem

glenliz87
01-18-2009, 12:18 PM
Hello all,
I have a problem with my new .358 Lee sizing die. It is sizing my boolits down to .356. This is too small to shoot through my .357 Mag. At first I thought it was packaged wrong but the die itself is stamped .358. Is it possible to enlarge the sizer using...say...maybe a drill bit? I can shoot my boolits as cast since the mould is dropping them from .358 to .359. However, I always like to run my boolits through a sizing die to remove any imperfections I may have overlooked while casting. Anyone ever run into this type of issue before? and how did you remedy the situation. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

mtgrs737
01-18-2009, 12:33 PM
You can increase the size of your Lee sizing die but it is a lot of work to go .002". I would get another die or just shoot your bullets as cast, your gun will size them!

mooman76
01-18-2009, 12:36 PM
The sizing dies are case hardened so drilling would be difficult at best. I tries ir on a 308 die that was actually at 3075 trying to get it up to 309 and it worked but the drill didn't have to do much and just happened to be the right size. Even that little bit wasn't easy and I burned the bit up I'm sure. What would be easier would be either send it back to Lee since it is .002 off they should fix or replace it or take a drimel with a sanding drum and go around the inside edge to enlarge. You don't have to do the whole thing, if you look close at the die the bottom is smaller than the rest for only like 1/2 then the whole enlarges. I did this with a .329 die I needed bigger. I bought some of my Lee sizers early before I knew Lead bullets needed to be .001-.002 larger than your bore.

osage
01-18-2009, 12:48 PM
I took a .451 up to .4515 without to much effort by wrapping emery cloth around the un-threaded part of a bolt. Inserted bolt thru the sizing die, then while holding ends of bolt rolled it back and forth on my thigh. Check it often by szing a bullet. Old jeans and oil on the cloth helped. A search will pull up more info and better details on how to do this.

Lee may have miss stamped the die also. So senting it back to them might be a better option depending on what it would cost to ship across the border.

Will
01-18-2009, 04:15 PM
Get a piece of 1/4 to 3/16 wood dowel cut a slot in the end and insert a piece of emery cloth, chuck this in a drill and hone away til you get what you want. I've done this on several tools.

Lead melter
01-18-2009, 05:48 PM
Get a piece of 1/4 to 3/16 wood dowel cut a slot in the end and insert a piece of emery cloth, chuck this in a drill and hone away til you get what you want. I've done this on several tools.

It will work, but I have found that a .25" diameter brass or steel rod with a slot cut lengthwise works better since it seems to hold the abrasive cloth better and will not break off in case it gets stuck.

Just my 2 pennies worth.

Maven
01-18-2009, 07:45 PM
glenliz87, Try this from the CASTPICS site:

How to hone a size die
by Buckshot

Oft times we find ourselves needing a bit more girth in a bullet to please a particular firearm. And, as sometimes happens the size we need isn't available or we don't want to pay for the custom manufacture of one. You can do this yourself and accomplish very accurate results for just a few cents worth of materials (not counting the size die) and a bit of time.

What you will need:
1) A size die that is as close as possible to what you want
2) A length of steel rod that is close to 3/4 of the diameter of the existing die, and long enough to protrude at least 2" beyond both ends of the die.
3) Wet or dry emery paper of 320, 400, and 600 grit. If you do need to remove more than a couple of thousandths you should also include 220 grit. Actually the 400 will finish the inside well enough, but hitting it with a bit of 600 sure slicks it up.
4) Oil. Most any oil will do.

What you do:
The paper should be cut long enough to extend out either end of the die, almost as long as the steel rod. Wrap your starting coursest grit paper around the steel rod a couple times and apply some oil to the paper. Insert the covered rod through the size die. With just your thumb and a couple fingers on each end of the rod, roll it up and down your thigh (while sitting) applying only mild pressure. The reason for using a rod as large as possible, is to keep from tapering the inside of the die, by having a slender rod bend under pressure.

This will get your pants leg fairly well oiled up, so use old pants. Or you can staple a bit of cloth to a length of wood. Most any surface that the die can turn on is fine. I use a piece of mud flap screwed to a bit of 2x4, and clamp it in the vise, and it's a good working height.

Roll the steel rod occasionally as only a small portion of the paper is in contact with the interior of the die. You should also swap the die end for end every now and then to make sure the metal removal is as even as possible. Remember the throat of the die is tapered to admit the bullet and we're only wanting to open up the actual sizing portion of the die.

When you check your work you don't need to put the die back in the press. Just drill a hole in a board bigger than the bullet and place the die over it. Place a bullet in the die and tap it through. Remember to leave a bit of metal to remove for your polishing down to final size with the finer grit paper. The first time I did this I just took it down to where I wanted it without thinking of the finish. It works, but you do need a bit more effort to get the bullet in and out, and it just isn't the right way to do it!

Your existing plunger will still be fine in the honed out size die, unless you opened it up several thousandths. Even then it may still work fine, but you'll need to pay more attention to the lube consistancy and the amount of pressure you exert on the lube reservoir.

buck1
01-18-2009, 08:07 PM
I have read this before and done it. I works well too. Buck

glenliz87
01-18-2009, 10:41 PM
Thank you everyone for the replies. I really do appreciate it. I thought that I would have to send the die back to Lee but after hearing from all the experts on this forum, I will attempt the modification myself. It sounds easy enough and I don't have to worry about spoiling a die. I will try the sandpaper/emery cloth method suggested by all of you. Thanks again! :drinks:

buck1
01-18-2009, 10:47 PM
Its a great way to get uncommon sizes too. But it takes a wile sometimes..Buck

VintageRifle
01-18-2009, 10:51 PM
Personally I would send it back. They have a 2 year warranty and if you modify it and ruin it, no warranty. Plus, when you send it back, they will be aware of the problem and hopefully bump up their quality control and make sure all the sizing dies size to the correct diameter as marked.

docone31
01-18-2009, 11:04 PM
I second sending it back.
The turn around time with Lee is FAST.
I sent them a die set to be opened up for paper patching. How about two weeks deliivered?
Send it back, at least it will be right with a lot less effort. Just wait untill you see how long it takes to hone it out with a flap wheel.

JIMinPHX
01-18-2009, 11:09 PM
Send it back to Lee. They'll make good on it. They have great customer service.