PDA

View Full Version : Video of the Twister slug in action!

Blood Trail
01-21-2022, 01:04 AM
Here’s the voice of my son Ethan’s hunt using the 6 petal twister slug. Total carnage.

https://youtu.be/VrDMTwFjsR0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

longbow
01-21-2022, 02:12 AM
Yikes! I'd say total carnage is a bit of an understatement! That's massive damage!

I must have missed it in your previous post with pics but caught it here... that was the 6 petal Twister in action. Have you or Ethan shot any game with the 3 or 4 petal version? I'm curious to see a comparison between them. That 6 petal slug must pretty much explode!

How much weight is left in the base after petals break off?

And of course congratulations to Ethan! Well done!

Longbow

Cap'n Morgan
01-21-2022, 04:18 AM
LOL! "I thought you said shoot..."

Obviously he was more than ready, and the shot placement was perfect. Congratulations.

Petander
01-22-2022, 10:02 AM
Egads!

Well done,congrats!

And I thought the three petal "Zveroboys" are explosive, got 20 and 12.

BJK
01-23-2022, 05:53 PM
WOW! That's devastating! But too much so for a meat hunter. Great for HD or a LEO maybe.

Outer Rondacker
01-23-2022, 06:00 PM
Nice shooting. Its already hamburger....... lol

Blood Trail
01-23-2022, 09:39 PM
WOW! That's devastating! But too much so for a meat hunter. Great for HD or a LEO maybe.

How much meat you think was lost?

I’ll tell ya…. Maybe .5-1lbs of meat and that’s being conservative.

megasupermagnum
01-23-2022, 10:00 PM
How much meat you think was lost?

I’ll tell ya…. Maybe .5-1lbs of meat and that’s being conservative.

Maybe not, but about 6" forward and it would waste both shoulders. It does make me think twice about putting those as the last 4 in the tube of my shotgun beside my bed. Have you ever tried shooting them through plywood or anything? Any slug is going to shoot through a house, but if those break up, so they don't travel 300 yards to the neighbors, that'd be worthwhile. Plus, that wound is simply awesome.

longbow
01-23-2022, 10:12 PM
"Plus, that wound is simply awesome."

Now msm are you thinking of being able to see daylight through the hole in the bad guy? Like this:

https://i.postimg.cc/wj1XS6h3/Screen-Shot-2018-01-01-at-9-45-14-PM.png (https://postimages.org/)

You better argue that the slug was chosen so it wouldn't be a threat to bystanders! Safety for others was your primary consideration! Right?

Longbow

megasupermagnum
01-24-2022, 01:08 PM
I choose anything to stop something as quickly as possible. Awesome is the best word that I can think of when I see that, but I mean that in the same way an atomic bomb creates an awesome explosion. I'm a shooter, not a linguist.

longbow
01-24-2022, 01:44 PM
Awesome certainly describes the results of Ethan's shot that's for sure!

I wonder if the are YouTube videos of the Twister in ballistic gel? it would be interesting to see at what depth of penetration the petals break off. Of course bone, jacket, etc. would have an effect but still interesting to see.

I'll check Taofledermaus.

Longbow

dverna
01-24-2022, 01:46 PM
I held off replying for a while.

First, I appreciate the post and the education. It is a shocking demonstration.

Last, I would never hunt with something like that. But that is me.

megasupermagnum
01-24-2022, 02:35 PM
I held off replying for a while.

First, I appreciate the post and the education. It is a shocking demonstration.

Last, I would never hunt with something like that. But that is me.

While not my idea of a perfect deer round, some people might differ. Luckily most states are going away from shotgun slug only deer hunting, but if you were in a shotgun state that also didn't allow you to cross property lines to retrieve deer, this slug might be high on my list of choices. You and I are just lucky to hunt in areas where this is a complete non-issue.

longbow
01-24-2022, 02:38 PM
Okay then... I had missed this video:

https://youtu.be/PKt69bjozb8

Scroll to 11:20 min. for ballistic gel test. Pretty impressive!

I am not much of a hunter these days but agree with Don in that the fast fragmenting design of the 6 petal Twister seems overly destructive for edible game. Ethan placed the shot in a good spot but as msm said, poor shot placement would destroy good meat. For home defense or pest elimination though these seem appropriate.

I'd like to see the 3 and 4 petal versions tested to see what they do in comparison.

Longbow

Cap'n Morgan
01-24-2022, 02:59 PM
For home defense or pest elimination...

As Mark Twain once said "...but I repeat myself." ;)

longbow
01-24-2022, 03:03 PM
Noted and point taken!

I should have said "...or 4 legged pest elimination." to differentiate.

W.R.Buchanan
01-25-2022, 06:49 PM
I choose anything to stop something as quickly as possible. Awesome is the best word that I can think of when I see that, but I mean that in the same way an atomic bomb creates an awesome explosion. I'm a shooter, not a linguist.

These slugs are not only stopping the opponent, they are killing the Ideology! Just like we did to Germany and Japan in WWII.

IE: Total Destruction!, or my hammer is bigger than your hammer.

It's almost like they had a charge in them that blew up on contact.

Randy

Blood Trail
01-25-2022, 08:29 PM
Awesome certainly describes the results of Ethan's shot that's for sure!

I wonder if the are YouTube videos of the Twister in ballistic gel? it would be interesting to see at what depth of penetration the petals break off. Of course bone, jacket, etc. would have an effect but still interesting to see.

I'll check Taofledermaus.

Longbow

Jeff from Taoflesermaus is currently doing a vid of some slugs I sent him, albeit not as exotic as these, but pretty cool nonetheless.

Blood Trail
01-25-2022, 08:48 PM
I wonder how these slugs would do if I cast them harder? [emoji57]

Anyway, I think if the distance wasn’t as close, the carnage wouldn’t been as “carnage-y”.

Would I use these again? Sure. Most of my deer hunting is done in the evening and by myself. I’ll take losing a pound or two of meat ensuring in a quick recovery than being out there all night trying to follow a blood trail. Most hunter don’t even get the rib or neck meat but are super concerned about “wasted meat” (BTW, that’s not directed at anyone, just reminded me of a conversation I had recently about the topic).

As for home defense, I don’t see how anyone would survive this at HD ranges.

I do have the 3, 4, and 5 petal center pins for it.

LB, to answer your question about the 3 petal, I suspect it would perform similar to the deer we shot a couple seasons ago with the Botfly which is also a 3-petal slug very similar to the twister.

Loaded to 1250 fps, it didn’t pass thru a mature buck and mushroomed perfectly. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220126/e1eb6a5abafcd09e862a0d86baab186b.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220126/7dc26c470056c17b258ef8e2a66a4c8e.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220126/3288ab04114f3fd7ccf4f8bfc99ad2b2.jpg

longbow
01-25-2022, 09:41 PM
BT is that Botfly slug pure lead? If not, what alloy?

That does look nice!

Longbow

Blood Trail
01-25-2022, 09:58 PM
BT is that Botfly slug pure lead? If not, what alloy?

That does look nice!

Longbow

Indeed it is.

45workhorse
01-25-2022, 10:16 PM
Nice
DRT!

W.R.Buchanan
01-27-2022, 05:30 PM
Yes, I don't see anyone living thru a center mass hit by one of these. All that remains to be seen is how big a mess it makes?

But then again all these 12 ga slugs are pretty brutal. I maintain that "Nothing lives thru a slug!"

Randy