PDA

View Full Version : Revolver Cylinder numbering

cabezaverde
01-18-2009, 09:24 AM
Have any of you numbered the cylinders on your revolvers?

If so, what method did you use?

Pepe Ray
01-18-2009, 01:45 PM
Could it be that you ment to say, "number the chambers on your revolver cylinder?"?

If so, Yes. Electric pencil.
Pepe Ray

cabezaverde
01-18-2009, 01:48 PM
Yes, that is what I meant.

Dye
01-18-2009, 02:18 PM
Have any of you numbered the cylinders on your revolvers?

If so, what method did you use?

Cabezaverde
I take a electric pencil and mark the rear of the cylinder with a small 1 and count the rest by the
rotation. This is for shooters not colectibles .
Dye

Larry Gibson
01-18-2009, 04:13 PM
Cabezaverde
I take a electric pencil and mark the rear of the cylinder with a small 1 and count the rest by the
rotation. This is for shooters not colectibles .
Dye

Same here.

Larry Gibson

missionary5155
01-18-2009, 05:13 PM
Greetings
1978 I bought a Dan Wesson revolver 357. One Day I was shooting off a bench and noticed one round was always off the group about 2 oclock.. Always.
So I took a center punch I had with me and center punched one chamber. I Placed 6 targets at 20 yards and proceeded to fire one chamber at its own target. I started every 6 shot cycle with that marked chamber firing first. I discovered one chamber always fired its group at two oclock. I clearly marked that chamber and it has been ommited in all load development and would always be the last chamber to be fired if needed.
This is a very practicle trial to do with any revolver. My Colt Police Positive revolver down here has two chambers that always fire off to a side. Sadely they are not consecutive. I have a DAN wesson 41 mag that fires all chambers true. One Ruger Black hawk 41 that is true. Other revolvers are not so good.
Try your revolvers.. you may find the reason for unsuspected flyers.
God Bless you !

jhrosier
01-18-2009, 06:12 PM
It is, apparently, quite common for one chamber to give different results than the others in a revolver.
Many people measure the chamber throats to see if they are all the same size.
Variations in throat size and chambers machined off location are two common faults that are proven to adversely affect accuracy. A cylinder bolt recess machined off location or a cylinder pin hole that is misaligned would have the same effect.

You might consider marking with a permanent type felt tip marker if you don't want to mar the finish.

Jack

MT Gianni
01-18-2009, 08:25 PM
A lead pencil mark on the face will let you know if one is off before you mark it permanently.

AzShooter
01-31-2009, 01:54 AM
If one cylinder is giving you a problem like that take your gun to a good gunsmith and have him/her correct the timing on that cylinder. It will improve your accuracy and after that you won't have one not lining up correctly and causing your problem.