PDA

View Full Version : Best Whitworth Bullet Mould

7.62x51
01-16-2022, 01:03 PM
I recently found a Parker Hale Whitworth (see photo) and am trying to find the best Whitworth bullet mould I can buy.
Please let me know your opinion.

Thanks,
Orin

Red River Rick
01-16-2022, 01:44 PM
Perhaps something like this..................

Bigslug
01-16-2022, 03:19 PM
Rick,

That's a cool mold that you've obviously made, but not seeing that one on your site. Any chance you could elaborate any?

My father treated himself to a Whitworth replica when he retired, and he got the cylindrical brass mold with the rosewood handles and the hollow base insert so you can stuff the tail end of your paper patch into the cavity.

Granted, it was among the very first molds we ever bought and it's configured to be about the most difficult style there is to cast with, but it's definitely one of those items that requires three hands to use, makes a lot of rejects, and makes you think "There's GOT to be a better way". It does, however make a decent bullet when you get it right.

Rick's design would get rid of the nose cut sprue of that cylindrical mold, and make casting of a clean base much easier. You'd have to reconfigure your paper patching to eliminate the tail, but this would probably be a better system for seating down on top of a felt wad anyway.

I've also seen pics of hexagonal bullets with conventional lube grooves that obviously need to be a bit bigger in. . .diameter?. . .girth?... to eliminate the paper patching. Since I'm unaware of a hexagonal die for a Lyman or RCBS lube sizer, I'd guess that's a messy process. Still, I'm intrigued by the notion and hope someone chimes in on it.

Good Cheer
01-16-2022, 05:24 PM
Are the hexagonal paper patched or lube grooved bullet inherently more accurate than those loaded round?
Seems to reason they might be but I don't know so again, hoping someone chimes in.

My fast twist .45 is really a .458 seven groove made to shoot 45-70 molds so yeah, me I don't know about hexagons.

Nobade
01-16-2022, 05:48 PM
When you fire cylindrical bullets in a Whitworth they need to be pure lead to bump up. Advantage of hex bullets is they can be significantly harder since they fit already.

Good Cheer
01-16-2022, 06:57 PM
Ah ha. Now there's a tidbit I'd never thunk at.
I prefer as soft as I can get by with so too hard just doesn't cross my path.

swamp
01-16-2022, 11:16 PM
When I bought mine it came with the mold, round w/ grooves, a swage to size, and the punch for the hex shaped wads. Traded it years ago.
swamp

Cast Bullet Engineering
01-17-2022, 11:22 PM
I sell Rick's Hexagonal Whitworth moulds here in Australia for him, I've sold a few of them since they became available. Everyone tells me their Whitworth's (or replica's) have never shot so well before.
Rick's mould is the better of the two currently available hexagonal moulds, as it is far better dimensioned to work properly.
Buy one off Rick and go and have some fun would be my suggestion.

DC

7.62x51
01-18-2022, 06:06 PM
I have asked Rich to place me on his list for one of his moulds.

7.62x51
03-28-2022, 11:08 AM
Rich @ KAL,

When will the mould be shipped?
I asked you to cancel the order but said you would not cancel the order and said it would be mailed on March 21st.

So, has it been shipped?

Red River Rick
03-28-2022, 12:38 PM
Orin:

The mould you ordered has been shipped.
BTW, airing your dirty laundry on an open forum is not the best place to do so.

RRR

7.62x51
03-28-2022, 04:33 PM
If it's been shipped then send me the tracking number

@ 11PM TODAY -
Just received this message, after I was finally sent the tracking number, from USPS -

Status
Label Created, not yet in system

So, it hasn't been shipped even though I was told it was to be shipped on the 21st.
Guess it's just laying around the shop.

StrawHat
03-31-2022, 12:34 PM
I asked you to cancel the order but said you would not cancel the order and said it would be mailed on March 21st.

If you do not want the bullet mold, PM me, I will take it.

Kevin

Red River Rick
03-31-2022, 02:12 PM
Status
Label Created, not yet in system

So, it hasn't been shipped even though I was told it was to be shipped on the 21st.
Guess it's just laying around the shop.

ShooterAZ
03-31-2022, 03:00 PM
The mold has been made, and shipped. The thread is now closed.