PDA

View Full Version : Ham And Potatoes Au Gratin

DougGuy
01-16-2022, 12:22 AM
I made this dish tonight, then re-wrote the recipe to be exactly how I made it. Turned out VERY good! Cheesy, buttery, YUM!!

Ham And Potatoes Au Gratin

Ingredients:

• 4 cups Gold potatoes, peeled and sliced
• 1 1/2 cup diced cooked ham
• 1 cup diced sweet onion
• 1/2 cup butter
• 4 tablespoons Wondra flour
• 1 1/2 cups milk
• 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
• 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
• 3/4 teaspoon Tony Cachere’s Creole Seasoning
• dash white pepper
• Sprinkle smoked paprika

Cheese Mixture:

Melt butter in skillet, stir in flour to make light roux, gradually add milk stirring constantly until mixture thickens and bubbles, stir in mustard, add cheese, Tony’s, and white pepper, stir until cheese melts.

Directions:

Slice potatoes and parboil until almost tender. Saute ham and onion. Assemble potatoes, ham, and onion in a greased 8” x 11” baking dish, pour cheese mixture over potatoes and mix together, sprinkle paprika for color, bake at 350F until potatoes are tender and top is browned and bubbly, about 40mins.

A note about the cheese, use some extra sharp cheddar, I found a block of Cabot Classic Vermont Cheddar in Wegman's, I haven't seen this Cabot cheese in any other stores and never used it before, but holy moley this stuff is DA BOMB!! Excellent cheddar, I think it brings out the best in this dish. I have had cheesy potato dishes before that didn't quite meet expectations, but this Classic Vermont cheddar is well worth hunting down!

M-Tecs
01-16-2022, 01:11 AM
You're making me hungry. Looks good.

Thundarstick
01-16-2022, 06:01 AM
Try it with SPAM, it's fantastic!

jonp
01-16-2022, 07:28 AM
MMMMMM....Cheese........

Wife just made a pan of Macaroni and Cheese using Purple Wax Cabot Cheddar.

Outer Rondacker
01-16-2022, 08:46 AM
Sounds a lot like what the wife makes with the left overs from a baked ham. Now I want a baked Ham And Potatoes Au Gratin. Sounds good. Love to see good food. To much of this processed stuff in the world today.

Good job.

Oh and I will pass on the spam thing.

DougGuy
01-16-2022, 09:36 AM
MMMMMM....Cheese........

Wife just made a pan of Macaroni and Cheese using Purple Wax Cabot Cheddar.

Where did she get that Wegman's? I didn't see that there. Or maybe I did and didn't look closer. That label is the same label that's on mine and mine is wrapped in a black plastic it looks like. I didn't see any others that looked like this label.

square butte
01-16-2022, 09:38 AM
We made our version of that just the other night - My wife looked at your recipe and her one comment was " Not enough CHEESE". Yep, we live up here in Cabot country. There are a couple of Cabot shops here in VT where you used to be able to taste just about everything Cabot makes - Tasting is all shut down since covid . But if we were anywhere close, and hungry, we would stop in and graze Cabot products until fully satisfied. We used to call the shop "Cheese Ahoy"

DougGuy
01-16-2022, 09:51 AM
We made our version of that just the other night - My wife looked at your recipe and her one comment was " Not enough CHEESE". Yep, we live up here in Cabot country. There are a couple of Cabot shops here in VT where you used to be able to taste just about everything Cabot makes - Tasting is all shut down since covid . But if we were anywhere close, and hungry, we would stop in and graze Cabot products until fully satisfied. We used to call the shop "Cheese Ahoy"

Actually I didn't use shredded cheese like the recipe said, I had about 1/3 of a block like the one pictured and I coarsely chopped that and put it in the roux. It would have made maybe 2C shredded I am guessing? It's plenty cheesy! Recipe changed to 2 cups.

I have been a Cabot fan for years, but here in NC we only get the 8oz. size and all the stores have the same selection, wasn't until I found this in Wegman's that I even knew they made the vintage choice aged 24mo cheese. I will admit, it *IS* a KEY INGREDIENT in this recipe, the proof is in the taste of the dish, it's uncommonly good and cheddar-y. Much better than when we made it with the Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar.

square butte
01-16-2022, 10:09 AM
Another thing we do sometimes is to add a can or two of Ortega or Hatch chopped green chiles - Makes it just a bit of a "southwest" thing - Notice I did NOT say "south of the border". We use smoked paprika instead of just plain ole paprika. Pretty hard to go wrong with your basic recipe. We have one more two serving package of ours vacuum sealed in the freezer. Saving it for a hard day of snow removal - which may be tomorrow

DougGuy
01-16-2022, 10:12 AM
I also used smoked paprika, just didn't specify that in the recipe. Ok, LOL I will fix that too!

GregLaROCHE
01-16-2022, 11:05 AM
I use a hand slicer to cut the potatoes very thin. The ones on top curl up through the cheese and get crispy.

gwpercle
01-16-2022, 11:37 AM
Ham and Potatoes in a Cheesy Sauce ... Oh My ...You got me !
Thanks for posting DG , it looks like my kind of dish !
That photo made my mouth water .
Gary

MaryB
01-16-2022, 03:23 PM
Cabot is my go to cheese. I get 2 pound blocks of the extra sharp white cheddar at Walmart and go thru one in a month. Love the stuff! Occasionally buy the little 8oz block of their extra sharp reserve aged cheddar but it is to expensive for cooking with.

Wayne Smith
01-17-2022, 08:32 AM
Doug, I have been purchasing exactly that cheese at Sam's for years.

Outpost75
01-18-2022, 09:17 PM
New York extra sharp white cheddar is also very good and is similar to Cabot.

I mail order mine from The Cuba Cheese Shop in Cuba, NY.