PDA

View Full Version : Thought of the Day: Which 22LR for CCW?

Daekar
01-13-2022, 11:46 PM
I know that some folks will have an absolute fit at the very idea, but hear me out. If a shooter is highly sensitive to recoil and muzzle blast and the only cartridge that is an option for them is 22LR, what is the best gun for them to carry concealed?

I have a S&W Mod. 63 with 8 holes in the cylinder which shoots straight and soft while remaining small, so I feel comfortable recommending that, but I suspect that there may be other better options. I love the idea of a the Kel-Tec P17 since it has over twice the capacity of the Smith, but I haven't put my hands on one to see how easy it would be to carry for the average person.

What would you recommend to someone in this position?

RickinTN
01-14-2022, 12:22 AM
Occasionally I carry a small Beretta semi-automatic. I know I might need more firepower but it beats nothing!
Rick

Mk42gunner
01-14-2022, 12:25 AM
While I'm not thrilled with the idea of carrying a .22 for defensive purposes, it would beat empty hands all to heck.

Given the short barrel length of a concealable handgun, the best answer I can come up with is to do your own expansion and penetration testing with the widest variety of .22 Long Rifle loads you can find. Not all loads will expand from a ~2" barrel, no matter what the manufacturer says.

Not all loads will function in tiny semi autos, I'm not familiar with the Keltec P17, so no help there.

If pressed, I think I would go with CCI's Stinger.

Robert

M-Tecs
01-14-2022, 12:33 AM
The 9mm for the wife was more than she wanted. I opted for a 22 Mag for her.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/the-22-magnum-good-for-self-defense/

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/22-magnum-is-pretty-good/

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/sw-351pd-airlite-22-magnum-revolver/

cwtebay
01-14-2022, 12:45 AM
I opt to listen those with evidence based results. I personally feel this is a good resource.

https://youtu.be/Qv7IfL1TeqI

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Ithaca Gunner
01-14-2022, 01:03 AM
Many years ago I carried a Beretta 70s in .22 at times. CCI Mini mags in the magazine.

Thundarstick
01-14-2022, 06:13 AM
If I had to bet my life on a .22LR round, it will be a CCI Minimag!

Lloyd Smale
01-14-2022, 08:54 AM
my wife has two carry guns. An lc9 for when shes going somewhere like a city away from home where crime is a consern. For everyday carry she has a naa 22lr mini revolver in a wallet holster in her purse. She likes it because even if shes somewhere that guns are frowned apon it looks like a wallet if someone glances in her purse. Might not be the first choice in a altercation but it sure beats a stick. I bought two of them and carry one in an ankle holster when im going on my daily walk in the summer. I actually have two guns for that. I carry my lcp in an ankle holster when i do one route that is about half in the woods because we have wolves and bear. Wolves make me nervous period and bears while they may not really present a problem because they usually run from a human still make me nervous because my dog is always with me and i worry that he might take off after one. You usually dont see them though. Last year twice i walked up on wolves on my walk. We also keep a smith shield 9mm in all three vehicles in the glove box with an iwb and owb holster so if were not carrying and find ourselves going in somewhere like walmart or menards ect or are out of town theres always that to stick in her purse or for me to use in a holster. I load the two naa's with stinger hps. Like i said it sure beats a stick. Cool thing about an naa in an ankle holster is even on a hot day when im wearing shorts just my socks for the most part hide one.

Most dangerous thing i face when walking isnt even the wolves or bear its when i walk down the shore of lake superior in the summer. for the last 3 years its been like a tent commune on the beach. we get overun by tourists and the low lives that dont want to pay for a legit campground form about what is communes on the beach. Twice now ive had altercations with them. they camp illegaly and the forest service liberals wont do anything to stop it because most of them are just liberal hippys thinking there roughing it. They leave there garbage everywhere and twice now threatend my dog who was doing nothing but walking by. Both times a pull up on my sweat pants cured the situation in short order. Ive left probably 20 messages with the forest service and the park service (who never answer there phones) and have never even got a response. One of the local sherrifs deputys and me spent 2 days last year cleaning up there mess in the fall. 3 of them even left there tents sleeping bags and about everything and left. Id like to really tell you what i think of the forest service and the park service but id probably get banned. Sorry for the rant but it really urks me when they destroy the beauty of our area and the people that are suppose to stop it dont do a thing.

Bigslug
01-14-2022, 09:52 AM
If all I can comfortably shoot is a .22, I'm sure not going to carry a little one. I'd want the ability to deliver accuracy, and quickly.

Probably one of the "Lite" Ruger MKIV's. About as close to "boring reliability" as you're likely to get from something shooting rimfire ammo.

Froogal
01-14-2022, 09:53 AM
I own a Ruger SR22. It is not my CCW, but I wouldn't be ashamed to carry it. A well placed .22 can be very effective.

DougGuy
01-14-2022, 09:58 AM
Many years ago the 22LR used to be the number 1 cartridge that killed the most people in the US, followed by the 12ga shotgun. I don't know that those numbers are valid anymore. A lot has changed in the world of firearms since then.

georgerkahn
01-14-2022, 09:58 AM
I know that some folks will have an absolute fit at the very idea, but hear me out. If a shooter is highly sensitive to recoil and muzzle blast and the only cartridge that is an option for them is 22LR, what is the best gun for them to carry concealed?

I have a S&W Mod. 63 with 8 holes in the cylinder which shoots straight and soft while remaining small, so I feel comfortable recommending that, but I suspect that there may be other better options. I love the idea of a the Kel-Tec P17 since it has over twice the capacity of the Smith, but I haven't put my hands on one to see how easy it would be to carry for the average person.

What would you recommend to someone in this position?

My concern has much more been with size of firearm and its concealability (is there such as word?) than recoil or muzzle blast. I have a brother-in-law who professes, for "guaranteed reliability" he'll carry nothing but a revolver.

But -- for me -- I adore my old Beretta 950bs in .22! The same size semi-auto also comes in .25acp. 294523 Some profess the central-primer .25 has better reliability than its rimfire .22 sister. However, I've yet to experience -- rounds fired perhaps at or past the 1,000 shot range? -- any failure to fire or extraction issue with mine.

(As a bit of trivia side-note, the infamous agent James Bond carried one of these as HIS firearm of choice (before he later-on changed to another. Good enough for Bond -- good enough for me :))

What I do...
geo

hoodat
01-14-2022, 10:02 AM
I'm another vote for Mini-Mags. And as far as the whole 22/self defense debate goes, I'll opine that most of us who own and frequently use a 22 pistol or revolver for recreation, would be pretty proficient in defending ourselves with that weapon. jd

dverna
01-14-2022, 10:43 AM
I have never given it much thought as neither of us are that limited...yet.

About the only advice that may contribute is on ammunition. About the only stuff that I find reliable enough to carry is Eley. There may be others, but it is extremely consistent.

A person too weak to take the recoil of a .32 or .380, and needs a .22, likely cannot rack a slide so IMO semi-autos are out of consideration. That leaves one of the .22 DA revolvers. If they get a FTF, they just pull the trigger.

IMO, a downloaded .38 revolver, with a hard bullet for penetration, is still a better choice than any .22.

Daekar
01-14-2022, 11:01 AM
I have never given it much thought as neither of us are that limited...yet.

About the only advice that may contribute is on ammunition. About the only stuff that I find reliable enough to carry is Eley. There may be others, but it is extremely consistent.

A person too weak to take the recoil of a .32 or .380, and needs a .22, likely cannot rack a slide so IMO semi-autos are out of consideration. That leaves one of the .22 DA revolvers. If they get a FTF, they just pull the trigger.

IMO, a downloaded .38 revolver, with a hard bullet for penetration, is still a better choice than any .22.

You made some great points. One of the reasons I chose to get the S&W Mod. 63 is that a failure just means another trigger squeeze and no trouble racking a slide for anyone.

I have been experimenting with low-power 357 loads in my 3" Mod. 60, and so far the experience has been very pleasant. So far the lowest I've gone is 158gr @ around 750fps, which looks low on paper but still smacks the target plates with surprising authority. Not sure if I'm better off sticking with the middleweight bullet and dropping the velocity further or switching to a 125gr and seeing what happens.

tazman
01-14-2022, 11:01 AM
North American Arms, the people who make the NAA mini revolver, have a lot of data posted on their site that they fired with their revolver.
Lots of different cartridges and brands. More data for the thought process.
https://northamericanarms.com/ballistics/ball-22lr/

Daekar
01-14-2022, 11:03 AM
If all I can comfortably shoot is a .22, I'm sure not going to carry a little one. I'd want the ability to deliver accuracy, and quickly.

Probably one of the "Lite" Ruger MKIV's. About as close to "boring reliability" as you're likely to get from something shooting rimfire ammo.

I had that thought, but I have literally never seen any discussion about carrying one of the MK guns. Do they make larger magazines for them? It would be nice to pick up some additional capacity for that size frame.

Dancing Bear
01-14-2022, 11:09 AM
Just did some research on Federal Punch flat nosed 22lr ammo. Wound cavity results in gell blocks seem impresive. I'm getting some to try out, may be a good small game load as well as pp.

tazman
01-14-2022, 11:09 AM
You made some great points. One of the reasons I chose to get the S&W Mod. 63 is that a failure just means another trigger squeeze and no trouble racking a slide for anyone.

I have been experimenting with low-power 357 loads in my 3" Mod. 60, and so far the experience has been very pleasant. So far the lowest I've gone is 158gr @ around 750fps, which looks low on paper but still smacks the target plates with surprising authority. Not sure if I'm better off sticking with the middleweight bullet and dropping the velocity further or switching to a 125gr and seeing what happens.

I have been working with a light 125 grain boolit load. Probably about 750fps. I have not chronographed it yet. I was trying for a load to duplicate the 38 S&W long.
VERY little recoil. Shoots very near point of aim in my revolvers. Maybe an inch low at 10 yards.
Biggest issue so far is accuracy. The group is nearly 50 percent larger than the groups fired with full power 38 special loads.
Still good enough for social purposes at that range.

Bent Ramrod
01-14-2022, 12:25 PM
I have a Walther PPK/S. It’s rated for High Speed Long Rifles. One of the magazines holds 8 rounds, the other 10. Its small enough to be concealable, but large enough for a reasonable grip. First shot double action, the rest single action. Kind of disconcerting when target shooting, but maybe not so much at the usual distances in an emergency.

Shoots pretty well, too. Good sight picture. Only had a few jams and those were with Standard Velocity LRs. Easy to take apart for cleaning.

FergusonTO35
01-14-2022, 02:23 PM
Aguila Interceptor 40 grain solid. They clock 1000 fps out of my little LCP II and are accurate and reliable. With ten of them on board I feel protected as well as I can be with such a small gun.

kayala
01-14-2022, 02:33 PM
I have 2 semi-auto range toys Ruger SR22 and Walther P22. Both are very reliable even with standard velocity ammo (CCI). If I forced to carry one of those my preferences would be toward Ruger, just because on Walther one can pull trigger while safety is on (hammer will drop on block which might be confusing on why there's no bang)

01-14-2022, 02:42 PM
My opinion: any well made, trusted revolver, with CCI Standard MiniMags, or Stingers.

You could always train with a 22, and carry a 38 in same basic handgun.
S&W317/S&W642

Daekar
01-14-2022, 05:41 PM
My opinion: any well made, trusted revolver, with CCI Standard MiniMags, or Stingers.

You could always train with a 22, and carry a 38 in same basic handgun.
S&W317/S&W642

That's actually what I do myself! I have two 3" steel J-frames, one in 22LR and one in 357mag, with the same grips, same holsters. There are other guns that do many things better, but they are some of the best general-purpose easily-carried guns I have ever had the privilege of owning.

GhostHawk
01-14-2022, 09:58 PM
I have 2 "car guns" both Phoenix arms HP-22's. One with 4" barrel, one with 6". Both are in zippered bags, with 2 loaded mags, and a 100 round box of .22lr copper plated hollow points.

For actual carry I prefer .22 mag or .32acp/.32sw long.

I have 2 NAA revolvers in .22 mag, and at close range, 10 feet, both do well.
For longer range my 32's will do better at 20 feet than the little NAA's do at 10.

But any of the above is better than nothing. Which is mostly what I carry. Nothing. But I like having one close at need.

If you can keep your cool, smaller is more accurate IMO.

At the range 9mm and bigger tends to ring my gong some. In a tight situation I'd rather not have to worry about my gun or my shooting. YMMV

farmbif
01-14-2022, 10:09 PM
there are actually quite a few documented assassinations by mob figures and others though the years who's preferred weapon is the Ruger mark I and mark II. however, there is one pretty well know case during the Philadelphia mob wars were an extremely hardheaded Individual was shot in the head by a 22lr more than once, survived and became a govt witness.

M-Tecs
01-15-2022, 01:36 AM
https://www.ammoman.com/blog/how-to-use-22-for-self-defense/?utm_campaign=meetedgar&utm_medium=social&utm_source=meetedgar.com&fbclid=IwAR2xnr-DQDfksZZ0DF1Lb8wBsdqRk-LFJlXd87gzU-I21o7rp5p9Ui2MVoo

Nueces
01-15-2022, 10:20 AM
I also like my Beretta 950 Minx in 22 Short. Since we are talking about the LR round, I would choose my 21A, which is but a bit chunkier than the Minx. For the 21A, I recently ordered, directly from Federal, their new 22 LR defense load, the 22 Punch.

Federal’s idea was to get the best defense performance possible from a 2 inch barrel and they ended up with a nickel plated 30 grain flat point bullet. They claim 1070 fps from a 2” handgun and 1650 fps from a 24 inch rifle barrel. Haven’t tried it yet, but want to test it along side Mini Mags and Stingers.

dverna
01-15-2022, 12:06 PM
https://www.ammoman.com/blog/how-to-use-22-for-self-defense/?utm_campaign=meetedgar&utm_medium=social&utm_source=meetedgar.com&fbclid=IwAR2xnr-DQDfksZZ0DF1Lb8wBsdqRk-LFJlXd87gzU-I21o7rp5p9Ui2MVoo

Interesting article. I would not have expected 12" of penetration from a .22 out of a short barrel.

But I have seen 125 lb deer run over 25 yards with its boiler-room shredded by a hunting rifle using jacketed bullets....and other times DRT. Can't figure it out. I suppose some deer are a lot tougher than 200 lbs BG's....but that much tougher???

Just too many unknowns to say "yea" or "nye" about what is adequate. Is the bag guy looking for an easy victim and prone to run away if injured? Or is he a "peaceful protester" fueled by rage and hatred (maybe drugs) who wants to kill you. Or an ex-lover on a mission?

I know for certain, putting hole in the boiler room of a deer means a dead deer. It can die within a couple of feet or run well over 25 yards. I suspect putting a hole in the boiler room of a BG means death too...but he is typically less than 10 yards from you...and unlike a deer that is not armed with a gun, knife or tire iron; he has targeted you for more than a handshake.

Any gun is better than nothing. On that we can all agree. For a healthy person to select a mouse gun makes little sense to me. I had a 120 lb gf who had no problem shooting a 16 oz 9mm Kahr. Maybe she was one of those people who would run 7 yards after taking a shot in the heart with a .22 and stab you. I think being Irish may be a "contributing factor". LOL

Goldstar225
01-15-2022, 12:10 PM
I have no intention of relying on a .22 for personal defense but if I were forced to go that route My S&W M&P .22 Compact would fill the bill. It's proven itself to be reliable and accurate over many hundreds of rounds of mixed ammunition and is lightweight. Just slightly larger than the S&W Shield.

cwtebay
01-15-2022, 07:56 PM
I had earlier posted an article by Lucky Gunner. I really appreciate the amount of research that goes into the information that is offered there. What a good take home message is - psychological stops are still stops. Meaning that person is done fighting regardless of what they are hit with. I just had a client's sons (yep plural) killed by an armed assailant, any thoughts on what was used?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

derek45
01-15-2022, 08:33 PM
I agree with Colonel Jeff Cooper on 22LR and 25ACP for defense

:coffee:

Lloyd Smale
01-16-2022, 05:36 AM
My concern has much more been with size of firearm and its concealability (is there such as word?) than recoil or muzzle blast. I have a brother-in-law who professes, for "guaranteed reliability" he'll carry nothing but a revolver.

But -- for me -- I adore my old Beretta 950bs in .22! The same size semi-auto also comes in .25acp. 294523 Some profess the central-primer .25 has better reliability than its rimfire .22 sister. However, I've yet to experience -- rounds fired perhaps at or past the 1,000 shot range? -- any failure to fire or extraction issue with mine.

(As a bit of trivia side-note, the infamous agent James Bond carried one of these as HIS firearm of choice (before he later-on changed to another. Good enough for Bond -- good enough for me :))

What I do...
geo

i had a 25acp like that. it was dead reliable. Comical thing to me was guys claiming it would about bounce off of someone if shot with it. I had a 1/2 plywood target board up and gold dots blew through it every time. Must be some real tough skinned people out there. I wish I had that little gun back.

Randy Bohannon
01-16-2022, 07:18 AM
.22LR has killed more people per F.B.I.than all other cartridges combined. This of course includes accidental and other variables. I see the biggest problem for me in my house should the need arise to take some action the bigger cartridges in small rooms muzzle blast and flash will disorient and not be pleasant for me.
I have opted for a Beretta Bobcat .22LR for the bump in the night, I do have a few Colt P.P.’s in various locations throughout the house that are not noticeable.

dverna
01-16-2022, 08:55 AM
Randy,

I tried to illustrate the scenario in my post. But let's look at your statement about more people killed with a .22 and accept it as fact.

Because most people do not use a .22 for self-defense, it is likely that most of those people killed were victims of accidents or victims of murder. If I want to assault you or kill you, I will try to make sure I have the element of surprise and try to determine if you are armed. If the victim is unarmed, murder with a .22 is an excellent choice as it is rather quiet. You assailant will not care if you die in 5 seconds or 10 minutes as you are unarmed and he capable of delivering additional rounds as his pleasure without consequences.

In your home, if you shoot a BG with a .22 in the right place, he will die...might take 5 seconds or 10 minutes...but he will die. If he is unarmed you win. But what if his armed? Does he run away or shoot back?

If your "bump in the night" is unarmed your .22 is going to do the job. In some places shooting an unarmed intruder is OK, in other places maybe less so. If the guy you shoot is armed, and he does not die for a few minutes, you will be hoping he does not last long from his "fatal" shot.

My "bump in the night" gun is a Mossberg 500 with low recoil buckshot. The 9mm on the nightstand is not adequate for a sure stop at a distance of feet. Better than a .22, but not better than the 12 ga. I can use a 12 ga because there are only two of us in the house and we live rurally. If I blast through some drywall into the next room, there is no safety issue.

One other factor...everyone in the area knows I used shoot competitively. I hunt, reload and do minor gun work for the locals. Anyone entering my home with an IQ higher than room temperature knows I will be armed...and therefore I assume they will be armed.

In a street mugging, a .22 pistol may be good enough to drive a less than committed adversary away. He will find an easier victim. Just showing a gun may be enough!

Everyone has different needs, situations and abilities. Picking what to defend yourself and your home with is not a one size fits all solution. The importance of threads like this is to allow us to run various scenarios through our head before we face a gun fight.

There is no doubt the .22 will kill when time is not of the essence.

Daekar
01-16-2022, 01:28 PM
As for home defense, the gun my wife handles the best is a Marlin Mod. 60, so that's what is in the bedroom. It's trivial to put the entire magazine in a little spot very quickly, and if 14 rounds of 22LR from a rifle won't do the job chances are that other options wouldn't either.

Would rather have a suppressed 9mm SBR with a 33 round Glock mag, but you've got to balance priorities...

Shawlerbrook
01-16-2022, 05:39 PM
When I carry my pocket 22 auto it’s stoked with CCI Stingers.

sigep1764
01-16-2022, 11:31 PM
I carry a little NAA Mini in 22LR in my knife pocket. At the lake, it carries CCI Shot for snakes. Don't like snakes. When its carried in town, it gets CCI SV. It is NOT the primary. Best way Ive heard it described is an Ear Hole Gun. I suppose it could be compared to a well placed pocket knife.

It IS a cool little revolver! I try to shoot it most range trips.

GhostHawk
01-17-2022, 08:25 AM
Sigep1764 I was at the range one day working with my then new to me NAA revolvers in .22mag.

I had an RSO suggest that for a nose gun it would probably work pretty well. Insert barrel in nose, fire, repeat as needed.

I liked it, as it seemed a barrel shoved partly up someones nose just might have a bit more ability to "lead" in the direction wanted.
You might actually have a little control.

sigep1764
01-18-2022, 03:10 AM
Sigep1764 I was at the range one day working with my then new to me NAA revolvers in .22mag.

I had an RSO suggest that for a nose gun it would probably work pretty well. Insert barrel in nose, fire, repeat as needed.

I liked it, as it seemed a barrel shoved partly up someones nose just might have a bit more ability to "lead" in the direction wanted.

Exactly!

tazman
01-18-2022, 08:05 AM

If you need to get that close for a firearm to do it's job, you have the wrong firearm. A knife would work just as well.
A gun needs to keep the bad guys beyond arm's length. If it needs to be closer than ten feet to work, a perp with a knife or club will kill you.

Adam Helmer
01-18-2022, 01:22 PM
Daekar,

Stay with your M63 and go for head shots.

Adam

rintinglen
01-19-2022, 04:49 PM
Were I limited to a 22lr, I'd carry my Browning 1911-22. It has been very reliable, holds 10+1 shots, and works just like a full size 1911. Only slightly larger, and more to my liking, I have a prewar sport model Woodsman.

Texas by God
01-19-2022, 05:37 PM
Of all the .22 autos that I've owned over 50 years, the Colt Huntsman, the S&W 422, and the Beretta m70 come to mind to double as self defense guns. I carry a Ruger Wrangler these days for rural self defense.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Char-Gar
01-19-2022, 05:44 PM
El Al Airlines security folks carried Beretta 22s for many years. They defeated several more heavily armed terrorist in shootouts.

todd9.3x57
01-20-2022, 08:17 AM
https://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/attach/jpg.gif

bobthenailer
01-20-2022, 02:32 PM
Federal Punch is the latest hi tech 22lr CCW ammo

M-Tecs
01-23-2022, 02:23 PM
Some interesting data here https://dailycaller.com/2022/01/17/here-is-what-you-need-to-know-to-use-the-22-long-rifle-for-self-defense/?fbclid=IwAR3mbSzKWGwLo5e9DvlzW_a3xQsoKD840hlnFS-9yHbGipykRr-74J1mLdM

Daekar
07-05-2022, 03:27 PM
I thought I would bump this thread since the Sig P322 has been released. 20+1 capacity in something around the size of a 3" J-frame is something to consider.

FrankJD
07-05-2022, 07:57 PM
For me, it's the LCR22 snubby revolver loaded with Punch cartridges. I added a Hogue green laser grip, but I don't see that as essential.

I think the BIG disadvantage of a .22LR revolver is not the caliber itself, or the current myth of unreliable cartridges, it's the hefty 15# trigger pull ... but not at all difficult for most anyone without physical issues to overcome. Another is reload speed that will demand practicing with a speed loader.

Snubby revolvers are typically lighter, smaller and easier a carry than most semi-autos. Revolvers are always carried in “Condition 2”, no safety switches needed. If a round FTFs, keep pulling the trigger, no slide to rack or mag to drop for an FTF or FTE.

Unlike the snubby ejectors for all centerfire cartridges and .22mags, a .22LR snubby ejector will 100% dislodge all cases from the cylinder with the tap of a thumb or palm = surer and faster reloads (of at least 8 rounds and not 5 or 6).

The cylinder blast from a .22LR revolver is of zero consequence if your weak hand happens to cover the cylinder forcing cone area during firing, and firing positions can be far more radical than with a centerfire.

An eight shot .22LR snubby revolver loaded with proper premium cartridges - Federal Punch, CCI Velocitor, and others - is a CCW weapon not to be ignored - or dissed. These dayze, a .22LR revolver is quite the antidote for the typical SD scenario, but to each their own, and I own or have owned a gaggle of centerfire handguns - 1911 .45acp autos, wheel guns in .357mag/.38spl, and many autos in 9mm. They're all good aggressor deterrents, but the Ruger LCR22 allows me more accuracy and speed (with a PHLster AIWB holster), among more than a few other good attributes.

YMMV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ3ZPmxcR5c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-merwi638fc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imw81O6kZPM

kerplode
07-05-2022, 08:11 PM
For me, it's the LCR22 snubby revolver loaded with Punch cartridges. I added a Hogue green laser grip, but I don't see that as essential.

If I were forced to use a 22LR for self defense, I would go with this exact setup.

Well, maybe not exact as my LCR22 is an LCRx22 with a 3" barrel, but exact enough. ;-)

5 Star makes a nice speedloader (https://shopruger.com/LCR-Ruger-SP101-22-LR-Speed-Loader/productinfo/12053/) for it as well, which is a bonus for SD use.

FrankJD
07-06-2022, 05:54 AM
The LCRx22 is a fine revolver, I need to get one, but not for CCW - it has an exposed hammer that can spell withdraw issues and I'd rather have a shorter and faster deployed bbl ... just personal likes, no more, no less. I use an Ammo Pod .22LR speed loader that's made for the LCR/LCRx.

http://www.revisioncv.com/sites/default/files/CAP1%20500HORZ.jpg

BadgerShooter
07-06-2022, 12:52 PM
I guess if I needed to carry a 22, the main reason would be extreme concealability. A German made Walther TPH would be small and slim enough to justify a 22. Anything bigger, there are better cartridges for that size of gun. The Beretta 70 as noted earlier, is an excellent pocket 22, but for that size and weight, you can carry a 9 with far more effective ammo. The idea that someone can't handle the blast and recoil of cartridges larger than a 22 is for the most part a matter of proper training and purposeful practice, slowly increasing recoil and noise at a rate comfortable to the subject. If the person can't spend that much time getting used to a defensive firearm, they probably should not be running one in the first place. Ugly unpleasant fact but true. A far better alternative in the home would be a 22 or 9mm carbine like the Ruger PC. Far easier and more effective to handle with two hands and far more scary to run into in the hands of a frail person than with a tiny handgun in their adrenalized shaking hands. I have trained many women, young, old, big, petite and I never failed to get them comfortable with guns up to 9mm. Starting them with a small 9mm with full pressure loads is obviously a path to failure, but 22's or even very light 38's can work with a low stress, positive approach.

FrankJD
07-06-2022, 01:12 PM
I've had several J frames, and an S&W 642 is just as concealable as an LCR22.

There are other more important reasons or some folks to go with an LCR22 rather than a 642.

kerplode
07-06-2022, 02:37 PM
The LCRx22 is a fine revolver, I need to get one, but not for CCW - it has an exposed hammer that can spell withdraw issues and I'd rather have a shorter and faster deployed bbl ... just personal likes, no more, no less. I use an Ammo Pod .22LR speed loader that's made for the LCR/LCRx.

Yeah, totally. I got the LCRx to take hiking and such, not as a CCW primary, so the exposed hammer made sense. For use primarily for CCW, the internal hammer LCR would most definitely be the way to go.

But to me, for CCW, the 22LR LCRx is currently something like the backup to my backup's backup. :-)

BLAHUT
07-07-2022, 04:10 PM
Does not matter what you carry> if you can hit with it, more importantly, hit what you are aiming at> if you should need to fire your weapon and can't hit with it, it's just a very loud and heavy noise maker> shot placement is what is important...

FrankJD
07-07-2022, 04:22 PM
Does not matter what you carry> if you can hit with it, more importantly, hit what you are aiming at> if you should need to fire your weapon and can't hit with it, it's just a very loud and heavy noise maker> shot placement is what is important...

"If you can put holes into the vitals you're aiming at, caliber doesn't matter ... and if you can't, caliber doesn't matter." (Rhett @ Demonstrated Concepts LLC)

rintinglen
07-08-2022, 08:05 PM
"If you can put holes into the vitals you're aiming at, caliber doesn't matter ... and if you can't, caliber doesn't matter." (Rhett @ Demonstrated Concepts LLC)

Big holes work much better than little ones.

FrankJD
07-08-2022, 08:44 PM
Big holes work much better than little ones.

True, but I'll take little holes over no holes.

35remington
07-10-2022, 04:19 PM
If I were to carry my LCP in 22 it would be with Minimags or Federal Punch which feeds reliably as much as a 22 can. Neither expand and expansion is definitely a drawback. Some LCPs don’t feed the Punch very well so test drive before laying in a supply. So Minimags are numero uno in any small 22 autoloader.

The revolver has serious merit if it also holds more than the ordinary six shots.

For the 38 I’d suggest a deeply seated wadcutter at 660-700 fps for recoil control effective bullet shape and reduced velocity variation which is a problem with light loads and conventionally or shallowly seated standard and lightweight bullets in the caliber.

pietro
07-10-2022, 08:14 PM
If a shooter is highly sensitive to recoil and muzzle blast and the only cartridge that is an option for them is 22LR, what is the best gun for them to carry concealed?

What would you recommend to someone in this position ?

https://i.imgur.com/aaZH9pSl.jpg

badwolf
07-12-2022, 06:35 AM
Just got a new sig 322 holds 20 rds ,very light. Might be a little big for some .

Tripplebeards
07-12-2022, 09:04 PM
Picked a bobcat 21a up recently for $325 with 2 extra magazines. It was a month old. I was told the guy who bought and traded it in shot it 40 times and was in the “gun of the month” club. It shoots great! I have it loaded up with 1640 fps CCI segmented stingers. I can dump 7 rounds as fast as I can pull the trigger and it’s accurate to boot. I was making water bottles dance at 20 yards.

https://i.imgur.com/NESi4pD.jpg

Texas by God
07-12-2022, 09:53 PM
I have the generic version of your Beretta, Tripplebeards. It shoots good and will fire CBs to Shot as a break open single shot as a bonus.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220713/09890a43942e2388d4a36a1ad7b6da56.jpg

Tripplebeards
07-13-2022, 09:34 AM
I like the break open barrel. I actually bought it for my dad for a House gun. He can’t cycle semi auto actions but want one. I took it out last week and it sure is fun to shoot. I looked at the new Taurus poly first since it was around $249/$229 most places I’ve seen. The trigger was horrible and the magazine had to be hit hard with the palm of my hand to get it lock in place. If it was a higher quality like an older alloy version like yours I would have bought one. I like the looks of yours. The gun is getting repo’d. I just found it in a desk drawer out in the garage with the garage door wide open. I hate to say it but some people just aren’t responsible to own firearms…including my pops.

Texas by God
07-13-2022, 05:53 PM
Beretta made a tip up barrel .380 for a couple of years. I'd like to have one but I don't think I've ever seen one in person.
I wish that this one was single action like the old Minx and Jetfire tip ups but I'll live with it.
Different situation but I left the Wrangler on the tractor for a week; I've no room to talk....

Kosh75287
07-13-2022, 06:31 PM
I'd want the .22 LR (or .22 Mag) pistol with which I could place shots into eyeballs, kneecaps and testicles at ranges over 10 yards with surgical precision under extreme stress and time pressure. AND, I'd want at least two rapid reloads for it.

Tripplebeards
07-13-2022, 06:36 PM
Beretta made a tip up barrel .380 for a couple of years. I'd like to have one but I don't think I've ever seen one in person.
I wish that this one was single action like the old Minx and Jetfire tip ups but I'll live with it.
Different situation but I left the Wrangler on the tractor for a week; I've no room to talk....

He ordered a small tumbler lock gun vault today and said he’d keep it in the house from now on…that is…when it shows up and he earns my trust to get it back. He hasn’t shot it yet. The requirement will be he has to go with me and shoot it, and his vault arrives, before he gets it back. He still has a Dan Wesson 357 air pistol I bought him that he can’t find. He misplaced it last fall. I’ve gone through almost the whole house and can’t find it.

rbuck351
07-14-2022, 01:45 AM
If I chose to use a 22lr as a CCW, I would use the Walther built Colt 1911 in 22lr. It's very light weight and the same size as a normal 1911 which makes it familiar to me. Also is uses a staggered 13rd mag, the slide is very easy to operate and plenty accurate. I have only shot a few boxes of ammo through mine and it has fired several brands of ammo without issue

Daekar
07-31-2022, 10:25 PM
I posted in another thread about the Kel-Tec P17, which is a 16+1 22LR that is about the size of a J-frame but a lot lighter than my steel versions. I had minimal expectations, but after getting a magazine problem addressed its a hoot. Shooting steel plates at 30 yards is easy-peasy, even at a much faster pace than I can manage with any other pistol. Load it up with the right bullets and I think you could do far worse when choosing a gun.

I haven't been able to get my hands on primers I can bring myself to pay for, so until I can practice with my 357 again (I seem to need consistent practice to shoot it well enough) I may end up carrying one of the 22s.

jimlj
10-15-2022, 08:21 PM
I know this is a old thread, 4 pages long with few suggestions in answer to the OP’s question. Here is my input, based on personal experience. I have a Ruger MK II 22/45 that is boring reliable with the proper ammo. It doesn’t like some of the cheap stuff but has been reliable with Federal auto match which is about as cheap as you can get right now. It’s a bit heavy for concealed carry (I think) but would do if needed. I recently bought a TX-22 at a pawnshop. It’s Glock 19ish in size, holds 16+1 rounds and will shoot ANYTHING I’ve put through it including Remington golden bullets which jammed the 22/45 every time I tried them. If I were looking for a CCW, I’d definitely give the TX-22 a look. YMMV

FrankJD
10-15-2022, 08:31 PM
There are any number of .22LR semi-autos that are reasonably reliable ... but for SD/CCW/EDC, it's hard to beat a revolver, and an internal hammer snubby at that. They're always ready in condition 2, no safety needed or wanted, and no issues with FTFs or FTEs, small, lightweight, easy pocket or IWB carry with minimal printing, and if fitted with a laser will not require sighting down its nose to aim. Yes, in particular .22LR revolvers will have a hefty trigger pull of near 15lbs, which is part of its reliability to fire and its safety "mechanism". I can "stage" my LCR22 if need be for finer aiming, but it's not necessary, all the little pills pretty much go where intended, where the green laser covers the target, into the eye box @ 10yds.

FrankJD
10-15-2022, 08:48 PM
If I were to carry my LCP in 22 it would be with Minimags or Federal Punch which feeds reliably as much as a 22 can. Neither expand and expansion is definitely a drawback. Some LCPs don’t feed the Punch very well so test drive before laying in a supply. So Minimags are numero uno in any small 22 autoloader.

The revolver has serious merit if it also holds more than the ordinary six shots.

For the 38 I’d suggest a deeply seated wadcutter at 660-700 fps for recoil control effective bullet shape and reduced velocity variation which is a problem with light loads and conventionally or shallowly seated standard and lightweight bullets in the caliber.

I do NOT care about or even want expansion from a .22LR. I want to accurately hit what my snubby laser paints and I want Deep Penetration, period.

Daekar
10-15-2022, 09:32 PM
There are any number of .22LR semi-autos that are reasonably reliable ... but for SD/CCW/EDC, it's hard to beat a revolver, and an internal hammer snubby at that. They're always ready in condition 2, no safety needed or wanted, and no issues with FTFs or FTEs, small, lightweight, easy pocket or IWB carry with minimal printing, and if fitted with a laser will not require sighting down its nose to aim. Yes, in particular .22LR revolvers will have a hefty trigger pull of near 15lbs, which is part of its reliability to fire and its safety "mechanism". I can "stage" my LCR22 if need be for finer aiming, but it's not necessary, all the little pills pretty much go where intended, where the green laser covers the target, into the eye box @ 10yds.

This is a great point, and the reason that the first small 22LR I purchased was a small D/A revolver. To this day I have never had anything but flawless performance from it.

sniper
10-17-2022, 03:45 PM
I'm another vote for Mini-Mags. And as far as the whole 22/self defense debate goes, I'll opine that most of us who own and frequently use a 22 pistol or revolver for recreation, would be pretty proficient in defending ourselves with that weapon. jd

Given a choice, I would carry my GP 100 with .38 +P ammunition, but, it's no skinny chick, and my Mk II Target is about as heavy. But, if I did cary a .22, It would be the Smith & Wesson 63, or the Sig P322 for quality, but loaded with CCI Velocitors, or the Federal Punch ammo.

rockrat
10-19-2022, 08:22 PM
I carry either a Beretta 21A, ppk/s or M&P, all in 22Lr. I prefer the Browning or Winchester 1425 fps stuff.

BLAHUT
10-19-2022, 08:34 PM
Any .22 you can hit what you are arming at and confidently, or a .22 mag. A pill to the melon will give any, second thoughts ?

rintinglen
10-29-2022, 10:03 AM
Bigger (longer BBL) is better, though any gun is better than none. Ballistics by the inch showed that a 4 inch barrel or longer made for significantly higher velocity than the 2 inch and a 6 inch barrel is even better. Granted, dinky guns have utility as CCW, but how often do you need to hide a pistol in your Speedos? If I had to rely on one for home defense, It would be one of these, or an equivalent Ruger. There are a couple of 38's hiding in here, a Colt Police Positive Special and an Officer's Model Match. For carry purposes, that model 63 in the oxblood holster would be just fine.

olafhardt
01-14-2023, 05:56 AM
I have had reason to shoot a few critters with a 22ĺr. They either died or ran off. I think that is the epitome of self defense.