PDA

View Full Version : Good friend moved

abunaitoo
01-13-2022, 03:33 PM
So a good friend moved to the lower 48 on Monday.
Going to miss him.
Had one do the same a few years ago.
Seems many are doing it.
Not to many others here share the same passion.
Military firearms and gear, reloading, the good old days.
Getting old, so since he's gone, might just start to scale back.
Start selling off stuff.
Not the easiest thing to do, when your stuck on a antigun rock.

Sig
01-13-2022, 03:43 PM
Sorry to hear about your friend moving. I know what it's like to be surrounded by the antigun crowd as I live on Long Island. Many gun enthusiasts I know have left or are planning to escape. I've been to your neck of the ocean. Spent many hours chasing bonefish on a flat in your backyard. Haven't gotten one yet but plan to next time.

Wayne Smith
01-13-2022, 05:32 PM
Sorry to hear about your friend moving. I know what it's like to be surrounded by the antigun crowd as I live on Long Island. Many gun enthusiasts I know have left or are planning to escape. I've been to your neck of the ocean. Spent many hours chasing bonefish on a flat in your backyard. Haven't gotten one yet but plan to next time.

Bonefish flat in Hawaii! I doubt it, those islands tend to drop off into deep water.

I'd bet you have trouble selling locally if you are one of the few left who enjoy the sport.

Winger Ed.
01-13-2022, 05:35 PM
Hate to hear that.

About the best you can do is try and bring some younger folks into the fold.

Sig
01-13-2022, 07:24 PM
Bonefish flat in Hawaii! I doubt it, those islands tend to drop off into deep water.

I'd bet you have trouble selling locally if you are one of the few left who enjoy the sport.

You're wrong, there are flats there. They tend to be very large also(the fish that is). I have no intention of selling any.
https://www.google.com/search?q=hawaii+bonefish&sxsrf=AOaemvIIdGUe8aOvBvF_yfQ8STSBFn_qNA:164211593 4906&ei=XrPgYa3WNvKbptQPl9qZsA4&start=10&sa=N&ved=2ahUKEwit_erH7q_1AhXyjYkEHRdtBuYQ8NMDegQIAhBK&biw=1920&bih=870&dpr=1

GregLaROCHE
01-14-2022, 12:10 AM
If you like to bonefish, this is one of the best places in the world to go. Ezzard Cartwright is the man!

https://www.rockcreekanglers.net/destinations-saltwater-bahamas/great-inagua-island

Isaac
01-14-2022, 05:06 AM
Abunaitoo: I'm very sorry to read of your friend leaving town. It's tough that you are considering scaling back. I can understand how you feel, though. I suspect you have thought of this... is there a sportsman club where you might meet another individual to share in the hobby?

I've enjoyed your comments and insights from the island.

Isaac

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-14-2022, 02:17 PM
A friend of mine just moved out to one of those islands. retired...former Marine...spent most of his life in Alaska...but here is the kicker...he isn't much of a recreational target shooter and tends to vote on the left side of the ticket.

skeettx
01-14-2022, 03:06 PM
Bummer
Hard when they move on or pass away
Changes everything
Mike

brass410
01-14-2022, 07:32 PM
Nah, changes nothing now you have an excuse to go visit somewhere( your friend) and see the rest of the world. Then you will note that the rest of us live in a horrible snow ladden mess, void of fair winds and scantily clad show offs ( I go to the beach for cardio work outs now in summer, 2 days, maybe, seems like )

Thin Man
01-15-2022, 07:28 AM
Even if your friend has moved away you can stay in touch with him and stay up to date on his activities. That will at least keep your bond intact. My experience over the past 10-12 years is that the good friends pass away. I have averaged one loss per year over this time. The memories are still there and I can look back at our good times, just there is nothing new to add to those days. Why not search for new, younger friends and pass along your learned experiences, mainly reloading and casting. With the insane prices that the buyers are giving up these days for anything concerning reloading you should be able to locate new apprentices with a little effort.

abunaitoo
01-17-2022, 02:28 AM
I do belong to the Historic arms club, but even there, it seems most are not really into old stuff.
Some are, but not the same as what I'm into.
Getting old, so probably time to start down sizing.

Winger Ed.
01-17-2022, 02:31 AM
You might check into that group that does postal matches.

abunaitoo
01-17-2022, 02:58 AM
Friend who mover sold off almost all of his stuff.
Helped him clean out house, so I got some stuff.
He was a big 03 Springfield and M1 Carbine collector.
Many collector firearms.
Sold off a bunch of M2 Springfields.
One with 5 of those funny cartridge adaptors.
Nice 03 with a Warner Swazy scope.
Bunch of old .22 rifles.
Hand other military from other countries, a few new ones, and some old hunting.
He did take a few with him.
I'm sure many of the vultures here descended on him.
Being poor, I didn't get anything.

Isaac
01-18-2022, 11:40 AM
I can't imagine what that day must have been like. Very unfortunate. Don't give up hope! Continue to enjoy what you do and keep a connection with folks on these sites. :D

Isaac

oley55
01-18-2022, 06:45 PM
A friend of mine just moved out to one of those islands. retired...former Marine...spent most of his life in Alaska...but here is the kicker...he isn't much of a recreational target shooter and tends to vote on the left side of the ticket.

There are always a few who's brains just don't work right.