PDA

View Full Version : Winter storm coming to the SouthEast

rockrat
01-13-2022, 11:40 AM
Hope everybody in the SE part of the country and Eastern seaboard are getting ready for the storm headed your way this weekend. Looking at the weather forecast, the snow is one thing, but the ice storms they are calling for look to be another story. Been thru ice storms where I use to live and they were no fun.

Take care everyone

Isaac
01-13-2022, 12:02 PM
True that! We could really do without the ice. Tree limbs breaking, lines down, power outages. Thank goodness power companies from other regions will caravan in to assist the local companies.

Isaac

Wayne Smith
01-13-2022, 05:34 PM
We are going to escape this one by the looks of it. We usually get a couple minor snow storms a year, but not unusual to go a year without one.

poppy42
01-13-2022, 06:42 PM
Got a love them weather forecasters! What are the job can anyone think of what they get paid the big bucks for being wrong 50% of the time! This was never more prevalent than the approximately 30 years I spent living in Florida before I moved to Virginia . Now before I get all the hate mail I am in no way suggesting that we should discount the possibility of inclement weather. If you live in an area of the country where the possibility of severe winter weather you should be prepared ( before I lived in Florida I lived I lived up in the Adirondack mountains about 90 miles south of Montreal so I kinda have some experience with a wide range of climate conditions). If you live in an area that’s prone to hurricanes you should be prepared. If you live in an area that’s prone to tornadoes you should definitely be prepared as they can as they can be upon you a lot more rapidly than a hurricane or a snowstorm. Here’s the thing though today most people will turn on your TV their radio or whatever and hear a local weather forecast and take it as being the gospel. I’ll use my experiences in Florida as an example. I can’t tell you how many times they’ll be a hurricane off the coast of Africa where the weather forecasters would be touting up how this has the potential to be a category five hurricane by the time it made landfall off the eastern coast of Florida only to turn out to be nothing more than a fart in an autumn breeze! It always amazes me how two weeks before even possible landfall can see all the knuckleheads flocking to home improvement stores and buying up every single last piece of plywood available, screws, nails, duct tape, etc. Now you might say oh that’s not a bad thing they are getting prepared. Well here’s the problem I would say a good 80% of the time if those materials were not used or even if they were used they were discarded only to be purchased again when the next potential storm was forecasted! Yes folks I completed many household projects with building materials, brand new I might add, that were discarded after storms didn’t materialize or they were used once and discarded. Don’t even get me started with grocery stores. Predict the storm, and I’ve noticed this in both the north and the south, The first things that fly off the shelves are milk, eggs, frozen foods, and frozen meat! I have literally seen people run through grocery stores grabbing every gallon of milk frozen roast and or any kind of possible frozen item you could possibly imagine. Oh yea and bottled water! Not one of these she has the smarts to realize that if you’re in a bad storm your electricity is going to go out! In the south with a hurricane that’s a big problem. Now I realize if you live up north you can probably put some of that stuff outside and keep it cold, do you really think these urban residents have enough smarts to realize that if their power goes out and they have to keep stuff cold that I can do so by just putting them outside? I can tell you emphatically noooooooo! I actually had someone I knew during pretty bad northeaster, tell me that he was very upset because his power was off, he wanted to know if I had electricity because he was worried about all his food in his refrigerator spoiling! I had to tell him and I quote” Tommy it’s 20° outside take the frozen food put them outside on your deck they will be fine, as for the 40 gallons of milk that you’ve purchased I suggest taking a few of those gallons put them inside a warmed cooler and then moving them outside because if you just put the milk out on the deck and it’s 20° outside you’re going to have 41 gallon blocks of milk ice” I could probably go on about these issues for a long time but I digress. If we do have a winter storm and it gets bad hopefully everyone has prepared rationally and used there heads. Above all be safe everyone.

jonp
01-13-2022, 08:32 PM
We don't pay attention to the doom and destruction predictions or the State of Emergency hysteria. Like normal people we always have several days food and more, gas for a generator and other supplies on hand. Let others panic

poppy42
01-13-2022, 10:18 PM
We don't pay attention to the doom and destruction predictions or the State of Emergency hysteria. Like normal people we always have several days food and more, gas for a generator and other supplies on hand. Let others panic

Exactly!

01-13-2022, 10:27 PM
Like jonp, not only do I have reasonable supplies and a self-reliant attitude, I have windows to look out of and generally go by what I see and what I have grown to understand by experience.

LenH
01-14-2022, 08:53 AM
There is no need to panic, the local weather people will panic for you!

Wayne Smith
01-14-2022, 09:25 AM
However I do appreciate how more accurate weather forecasting has become over the last even 20 years. Granted the hype is excessive, living here in hurricane territory, and I've never bought plywood for a storm. We have a freezer full and don't even have a small generator, LOML pointed out years ago that we could replace everything in the freezer twice or three times over for the price of even a small generator. Never bought one to just sit there unused. Living in this house over 25 years we have had one 10 day period after Irene without power. We made it well and I still have several ways to cook.

DougGuy
01-14-2022, 09:39 AM
They have so much technology not only in estimating the weather or a specific event, but in presenting it across the digital media. So every 6 hours, we are SO WELL informed that we get tired of the constant barrage of weather event related warnings and wish the damn thing would just hurry up and get here! Our brains are tired of hearing about it!

Yesterday morning I got a few extra used propane bottles from a Craigslist post and got them exchanged, saved some money over the retail price. Buy me a little more time for the generator if needed.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-14-2022, 02:11 PM
We (in MN) are getting that storm right now.
I'll try and leave some of the moisture in the clouds, so you all on the east coast can get some.

PopcornSutton
01-15-2022, 06:46 AM
I'm in northern VA, and they lowered the snow prediction from 10 yesterday to 7 this morning. Supposed to get pretty cold today and stay cold for a while. But I'm ready, have everything I need to deal with it.

Shopdog
01-15-2022, 09:25 AM
Got gas and oil for the Stihl bros. Along with some freshly loaded up cast 358Win....308,and some 7-08. We're gonna cut some dead trees (firewood) down at our river range. And shoot some cast. Looking forward to it.

Power might go out,and just sorta don't care. Hope everyone stays safe,watch the slippin and sliding whether on wheels or walking.

sharps4590
01-15-2022, 09:38 AM
We're in the track and the snow arrived about 1/2 hour ago. Pretty good forecasting, only 10 hours behind when they predicted. It is coming down pretty good, there's 1/2 inch already but, I don't anticipate much difficulty. It hasn't been below freezing in 3-4 days and while not warm the ground isn't frozen.

We get pretty tired of the hype and drama as well. Heck, it's JANUARY for cryin' out loud. Even here we can get bitter cold, wind and heavy snow. Granted, not very often but it happens. What's the old saying, "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."

Three44s
01-15-2022, 11:24 AM
If the ice takes down the power lines it sure is nice to have an alternate heat source.

Three44s

jim 44-40
01-15-2022, 05:14 PM
Let it snow,just picked up Cheddite and Rio Shotshell primers and will be loading me some 20 gauge with reclaimed 7 1/2 shot.

sharps4590
01-16-2022, 08:40 AM
We ended up with between 3 and 4 inches of some the wettest, heaviest snow I've seen in years. Kind of a non-event for us. I fear others aren't going to be as fortunate.

RKJ
01-16-2022, 08:58 AM
We ended up with between 3 and 4 inches of some the wettest, heaviest snow I've seen in years. Kind of a non-event for us. I fear others aren't going to be as fortunate.

I'm in Salem and we got the same here. It's been a long time since we got that much wet snow. The roads are pretty clear and my reloading shed is calling me and the wife's crafts are calling her so we'll be good.

Rich/WIS
01-16-2022, 09:53 AM
So far the predictions of a crippling snow storm have turned into a non-event. Supposed to get 6 to 8 inches and right now all we have gotten is a dusting and a light rain is sprinkling down. Hasn't started freezing yet but if temp stays low might have an ice issue (worse scenario than snow) as the day progresses. When I made my normal grocery run Friday was amazed at the crowds in the store, looked like some of the shoppers were expecting the Apocalypse.

jonp
01-16-2022, 05:33 PM
If the ice takes down the power lines it sure is nice to have an alternate heat source.

Three44s

First thing I did when buying my old house was rip out the heating and install room propane heaters.

Little snow then ice, freezing rain, sleet again and now rain. Heavy freeze tonight so roads nasty tomarrow. We don't care. I'm reloading ammo, posting here and beans with brown bread for supper. No worries

Anyone else about done with the State of Emergency Your Gonna Die nonsense every storm?

DougGuy
01-16-2022, 06:29 PM
Once again, we here 45-50mi north of Raleigh NC have been spared the brunt of the storm, we have some very light icing, some slush on the roads, and the temps will be above freezing the rest of the week. So far, no loss of power or internet. O YAY!!

In typical fashion, communities to the southwest and west of us got a LOT more ice, and there are considerable power outages. There are hundreds of line crews from several states ready to go to work to restore power, and the road conditions are not bad enough that they can't mobilize and get to where the lines are down, so we all got lucky.

BigAlofPa.
01-16-2022, 07:47 PM
It's here now. Im looking forward to playing with the new to me snow blower. :D

Silvercreek Farmer
01-17-2022, 08:37 AM
The wind drifted the snow quite a bit, so 8-12” depending on where you measure. Just a little sleet and no freezing rain. Power is on. Not many on the road.

Shopdog
01-17-2022, 11:51 AM
4-5" snow with a medium hard crust of ice. Back rd in front of house,about the same. It is starting to warm up but the dang wind is ferocious. Will wait till later to fire up the tractor and clear driveway.

Would've been a great day to go varmint chasing with a cast rig but,the woods just aren't a place you want to be with this wind.

Isaac
01-18-2022, 09:11 AM
We received 2-3" of powder snow then sleet and some freezing rain, then rain then back to snow showers that dropped a dusting. Typical mid-Atlantic mess. No power outages that I've heard of

Isaac

Rich/WIS
01-18-2022, 10:42 AM
Well it finally got here Sunday, something like 6-8 inches as predicted over the ice. Plow came by an hour ago and scraped the snow off of the ice and spread salt. Supposed to hit 40 today so should help. Sun is poking through and it looks pretty with all the snow on the trees. Had a power blip but never went out. Wonder if I'll get mail today, last time the 3 or so inches we got shut down mail for two days. Being retired don't have to worry about driving until the roads clear. Used the time to sort brass, clean up the reloading room and inventory and re-arrange my stash. Any desire to bitch about cold and snow was tempered by watching the news about that volcano in the Pacific, Mother Nature can do a lot worse than a little cold and snow.