PDA

View Full Version : Smart guns

GOPHER SLAYER
01-11-2022, 02:22 PM
I saw a news item scroll across the TV screen this morning while watching Fox News. It read, smart guns entering the US. Anyone know what they were talking about?

Ithaca Gunner
01-11-2022, 02:43 PM
I don't know, maybe something like that Colt automatic pistol from some years ago that would only fire if the person using it was wearing a special electronic band type thing that came with the pistol. It didn't last long.

OutHuntn84
01-11-2022, 02:47 PM
Most of my guns already outshoot me. No real shock if they start becoming smarter than me now.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-11-2022, 02:56 PM
Smartgun? Autobot?
maybe they are the same thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Anoy3LdkQsk

Shawlerbrook
01-11-2022, 03:06 PM
Smart guns are a creation of stupid politicians.

Bmi48219
01-11-2022, 04:26 PM
How are the smart guns entering the country?
This looks like a novel item, not sure if it’s worth $500.
Not to me.

Geezer in NH
01-11-2022, 05:11 PM
Fantasy of the leftist anti gunners IMHO

Winger Ed.
01-11-2022, 05:18 PM
Mine are dumb as a rock, and just lay around like a $2. hooker.

Maybe they'll come along with some sort of smart pill that can help them out.

cwtebay
01-11-2022, 05:30 PM
From what I understand from several years ago is that term refers to owner activated firearms. Such as fingerprints. So the firearm cannot be used by someone other than the owner. There were hopes that they would cut down on LEO's losing control of their firearm and having it used against them.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Geezer in NH
01-11-2022, 05:33 PM
Definition of a smart gun used to be a gun that can only be fired by the owner.

The gun shown above as a phone that can only be fired when in the open picture is just a handgun. In that shape it looks like a firearm and does not qualify as an any other weapon.

Same as many pen guns the BATFE allows that can only be fired when open and "shaped as a handgun" I have collected several of these. One was made in NH by the father of a SP Trooper I am friends with as our sons went to school together. Note very small town.

The gun is cool 1 shot only takes time to reload but my outback does thread on.

Mal Paso
01-11-2022, 06:40 PM
Maybe these guns have AI and are smuggling themselves into the country. Probably an offshoot of self driving cars.

Texas by God
01-11-2022, 07:00 PM
There was an option for service revolvers that used a magnet to move a sear block- activated by a steel finger ring worn by the officer. I don't recall what it was called, though.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

xs11jack
01-11-2022, 09:01 PM
Being as how only communists will buy them, I don't think the manufacturer will be in business very long!
Ole Jack

farmbif
01-11-2022, 09:12 PM
when the "news" says something like that its usually they throw out some ignorant remark to grab your attention so we will watch more ads while waiting for the non story. it makes folks want to keep the channel on and is more titilating then them saying something like
new at the home improvement store, left handed monkey wrenches and board stretchers.
just more ignorance like them saying how guns kill people when what they actually should be saying is people kill other people.

Finster101
01-11-2022, 09:15 PM
Judge Dredd

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQl88mevNkFSdbCqoIZyU4M3mgmZi_lI BWh2Q&usqp=CAU

nvbirdman
01-12-2022, 12:01 AM
My guns are so stupid they need outside help to pull the trigger.

Sasquatch-1
01-12-2022, 09:01 AM
Darn. Here I thought they had taught those "Dum, Dum" bullets (from Roger Rabbit) something.

Or, are these the evil guns that don't need an operator and are capable of inflicting injury without human intervention?:D

bedbugbilly
01-12-2022, 09:44 AM
Maybe they are the OAC version of the "Hillary Hole" . . . .

? :-)

cwtebay
01-12-2022, 02:31 PM
Smart guns finally arriving in U.S., seeking to shake up firearms market
https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/smart-guns-finally-arriving-us-seeking-shake-firearms-market-rcna11757

kayala
01-12-2022, 03:41 PM
Mine are all dumb - they can't even clean themselves :( I might consider those new "smart" ones after successful adoption by our military and police :D

Brasso
01-12-2022, 03:50 PM
The only problem with "smart guns" is when they get mandated by the state government, ie, Kali, NY, NJ, Ill,

Geezer in NH
01-12-2022, 04:09 PM
Reminds me of the micro stamping on firing pins movement. One of the big movers on this was from Windom NH but not register as a corp with the NH dept of state, They gave an address on rte 28 in Windham NH that my son and I investigated and found to be a closed gas station.

Total fraud process and firm reported to the state and NRA

BJK
01-12-2022, 05:54 PM
One of my guns is pretty smart. I caught it after it opened the safe to make it's escape and going after ammo to load itself, for what nefarious reason? I have no idea. I caught it before the act was complete. But clearly that sort of firearm is the type the left thinks is a smart gun and what they've been passing laws about. Rest easy folks, I stopped it before it could complete it's evil.

For any leftists reading this, it's all in jest (I had to let you know). Firearms require a person to do the evil, the firearm is just a tool and has no ability to think or do evil on it's own. It's the person behind the gun you fools! The vast majority of firearms owners are peaceful and law abiding, that's why you're all still alive! Mass murderers with guns? They come from your crowd, all leftists.

Gator 45/70
01-13-2022, 09:30 AM
I'l just hold off until the Alex Baldwin model comes out?

brass410
01-13-2022, 10:25 AM
I dont have a problem with smart guns, it's foolish/irresposible owners that are the problem!!

Kraschenbirn
01-13-2022, 11:39 AM
Reminds me of the micro stamping on firing pins movement...

And it's back again (in Illinois)!! One of Chicago's cookie-cutter state reps has dusted off the old, debunked microstamping proposal and dropped it back into the legislative hopper for the Spring session.

Bill

gnostic
01-13-2022, 12:08 PM
This is the start of banning un-smart guns. The gov will be able to shut off your gun....

GregLaROCHE
01-13-2022, 12:54 PM
I can see the gun not firing when the owner pulls the trigger and thinks it’s empty. He then pulls the trigger again when not pointed in a safe direction and it fires.

Also, what happens when the battery goes dead?

John Guedry
01-13-2022, 01:57 PM
I'm not very "bright". I have no business owning a gun smarter than I am.

Mytmousemalibu
01-13-2022, 02:10 PM
So called "smart guns" need to permanently remain a myth and any physical evidence destroyed. So does the microstamping idea/technology. Thats pretty well proven impossible for the time being.

Mal Paso
01-13-2022, 05:02 PM
"Cop beat to death by felons after his Smart Gun froze" Gun manufacturer says the gun missed the last critical update, not their fault.

Plate plinker
01-13-2022, 05:15 PM
I can see the gun not firing when the owner pulls the trigger and thinks it’s empty. He then pulls the trigger again when not pointed in a safe direction and it fires.

Also, what happens when the battery goes dead?

Then what you have is a gun shaped object that you can throw at the target.

All kidding aside this is a expensive option.

Ed K
01-14-2022, 06:27 PM
"Cop beat to death by felons after his Smart Gun froze" Gun manufacturer says the gun missed the last critical update, not their fault.

Smart gun wanted to update the day before but cop punched the "remind me later" button.

David2011
01-14-2022, 07:52 PM
Being as how only communists will buy them, I don't think the manufacturer will be in business very long!
Ole Jack

You think so? I think they’ll still be terrified of inanimate objects and just want to impose them on the rest of the population.

MaryB
01-17-2022, 01:49 PM
Smart guns finally arriving in U.S., seeking to shake up firearms market
https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/smart-guns-finally-arriving-us-seeking-shake-firearms-market-rcna11757

Are you going to trust your life to this? He mr. criminal, wait until I enter my pin or open the app on my phone.... or have a dead battery and a paperweight gun.

The fingerprint reader unlocks the gun in microseconds, but since it may not work when wet or in other adverse conditions, the PIN pad is there as a backup. LodeStar did not demonstrate the near-field communication signal, but it would act as a secondary backup, enabling the gun as quickly as users can open the app on their phones.

BD
01-19-2022, 07:34 PM
This is an advance in the "smart gun" technology, but still not a solution. Being an implant, it is much more resistant to theft, or not having it with you, (rings, watches, whatever). But they don't address longevity, or whether it could be hacked. Seems like it's some kind of RF signal, but "define it please", range?, frequency? coding?
"smart guns are an answer for people who are afraid to own a firearm otherwise. NEVER let them become required for the rest of us!