PDA

View Full Version : Wooden gun case

marlinman93
01-09-2022, 01:01 AM
Bought this old case in Dec. at our local collector gun show. Another member brought it in to sell to me, as he knows I like old wooden rifle cases. $20 and the interior was a mess, but I like that better since I tear it all out anyway.
But the case was very solid, and exterior was clean and decent.

https://i.imgur.com/rWP9Savl.jpg

After stripping all the styrofoam, and foam rubber out of it, I laid my Schoyen Ballard #6 Schuetzen in it, and marked around it to let me see where to build dividers. Then the scope also to see where to build dividers, and supports.
After that it's just cutting up the wood, and using my pin nailer and Elmer's glue to fit all the dividers in. Bought maroon wool felt to cover the inside, and did it in sections, letting the dividers dry well before trimming the excess felt. Then doing the lid, and various areas in a couple more sessions until it was all done.
Here's the finished case that will help protect the old Ballard, and make a good display or carry case.

https://i.imgur.com/BqfHBDBl.jpg

Winger Ed.
01-09-2022, 01:05 AM
What a great project!
I'd give your buddy the entrance fee to the show on top of his money back.

If I brought something like that home,
my Dad would admire it, and say, "That's too nice for you..... sent it back".

marlinman93
01-09-2022, 01:14 AM
What a great project!
I'd give your buddy the entrance fee to the show on top of his money back.

If I brought something like that home,
my Dad would admire it, and say, "That's too nice for you..... sent it back".

Thanks!
He didn't pay any entrance fee. We allow all our members to come in for free if they pay the $20 annual membership. So a great savings over the non members who pay $5 a month to come in. All our shows are free to members.

Mk42gunner
01-09-2022, 01:17 AM
I've always liked the looks of those wooden fitted gun cases, either the exposed wood or the leather covered ones.

I just may have to try making one, now that I have a few rifles that will do them justice.

Robert

Gtek
01-09-2022, 01:25 AM
Elegant rifle in an elegant box, as it should be. Nicely done!

marlinman93
01-09-2022, 01:31 AM
I've always liked the looks of those wooden fitted gun cases, either the exposed wood or the leather covered ones.

I just may have to try making one, now that I have a few rifles that will do them justice.

Robert

I've made two from scratch, and they take a lot of work for me. I much prefer finding old cases like this one, and rebuilding them to fit. I tell everyone who I talk to at our monthly gun shows that I'll buy any old wooden rifle cases that are 50" or longer.
I got this one from a guy I talked to in Nov. and he told me he'd bring it in at the Dec. show to look at.

slim1836
01-09-2022, 01:32 AM
Nice work, nice rifle. A+

Slim

marlinman93
01-09-2022, 01:42 AM
Elegant rifle in an elegant box, as it should be. Nicely done!

Thanks! I really think they make the right gun!
The first one I did was from scratch to fit my 1893 Marlin takedown with 3 barrels. I sold the gun, and the guy didn't want to pat the extra for the case. So another friend bought that case.
Here's one I built for my engraved Union Hill Ballard:

https://i.imgur.com/TmQRE8gl.jpg

marlinman93
01-09-2022, 01:43 AM
Nice work, nice rifle. A+

Slim

Thanks Slim!

Gtek
01-09-2022, 11:43 PM
These are the kind of things that the mall ninjas and why would I ever do that crowd will never understand or appreciate. Back in the 90's for a decade or so our club had quarterly Shuetzen matches. They tolerated the kid with his Win/Jap 32-40 Hi-wall but I was casting and breech seating so it was okay. These rifles most if not all beyond works of art, the custom brass cornered boxes placed on the bench with lids that opened up to hold the rifles. The drawers which held the projectile selection and all the needed "stuff" mostly all hand fabricated the way they wanted it. And most of all was the kindness and generosity of these mentors (yes there were was a curmudgeon or two with his secret recipes but guided to steer clear), hey kid come shoot this, hey kid let me show you a way that might work a little better. Those are truly some wonderful memories in this getting old myself dude!

Bad Ass Wallace
01-09-2022, 11:50 PM
Amazing what "real shooters" want. I have several orders for custom gun cases.

https://i.imgur.com/0tiHSePl.jpg

marlinman93
01-09-2022, 11:53 PM
These are the kind of things that the mall ninjas and why would I ever do that crowd will never understand or appreciate. Back in the 90's for a decade or so our club had quarterly Shuetzen matches. They tolerated the kid with his Win/Jap 32-40 Hi-wall but I was casting and breech seating so it was okay. These rifles most if not all beyond works of art, the custom brass cornered boxes placed on the bench with lids that opened up to hold the rifles. The drawers which held the projectile selection and all the needed "stuff" mostly all hand fabricated the way they wanted it. And most of all was the kindness and generosity of these mentors (yes there were was a curmudgeon or two with his secret recipes but guided to steer clear), hey kid come shoot this, hey kid let me show you a way that might work a little better. Those are truly some wonderful memories in this getting old myself dude!

Great memories! If guys like that didn't show us how it should be done we might not have the interest we do today!
I use an old machinist wooden tool chest converted to hold stand up rest in the top to hold my rifles between shoots. Keep all my various tools, parts, etc. in the drawers. It's a bit heavy, but I just like looking at it on the bench next to me. Might even help me shoot better seeing it there! ;)

Green Frog
01-11-2022, 07:44 PM
I wish we weren’t on opposite sides of the country. I’d love to sit down with you and swap stories, show off guns and drink coffee or adult beverages. We certainly share similar tastes, even though most of my favorites have a W in their name.
Great job on those boxes. You have the attitude needed to judge how they should look to give that classic look and feel.

Regards,
Froggie

Baltimoreed
01-11-2022, 08:02 PM
Very nice rebuild. Love how your Ballard is a perfect fit, almost like the case was made for it. Here is my tenor ukulele case that I rebuilt for a sbr’ed 1928 [semi] Auto Ordnance and a few friends. The flat insert is a piece of aluminum, the wood dividers have lightening cuts milled into the underside.

Der Gebirgsjager
01-11-2022, 08:13 PM
You fellows are very talented. It all looks very good. Thanks for showing the photos.

DG

marlinman93
01-11-2022, 09:07 PM
I wish we weren’t on opposite sides of the country. I’d love to sit down with you and swap stories, show off guns and drink coffee or adult beverages. We certainly share similar tastes, even though most of my favorites have a W in their name.
Great job on those boxes. You have the attitude needed to judge how they should look to give that classic look and feel.

Regards,
Froggie

Thanks Charlie! And I wish we weren't opposite ends of the country too!

marlinman93
01-11-2022, 09:08 PM
Very nice rebuild. Love how your Ballard is a perfect fit, almost like the case was made for it.

Maybe because I did make it for those guns? ;) Thanks!

pworley1
01-11-2022, 09:12 PM
Very nice work.

dverna
01-12-2022, 12:55 AM
As you fellows age, those wooden gun cases can be a challenge. Easy to turn a 10 lb rifle and scope into a 20 lb carry.

We had a guy at the club who built a couple. There were very nice, but weight killed his little side business. Might be due to our membership...trap club with a lot of old men.

The other thing was getting dings and dents. Not much of a concern for something used a few times a year but frequent use takes a toll.

I am a woodworker and would never build one or a rifle I used frequently.

koger
01-12-2022, 10:10 AM
Outstanding job Val, you do great work

frkelly74
01-12-2022, 10:38 AM
I built a box for my Win 52 and all the junk I felt I needed to take it shooting. I was into 4 position match type shooting then. I wished that I had put wheels on it. It was 12" X 12" and 52" long made of 5/8" plywood with a just right cradle in it for the rifle. In spite of the weight the whole kit got stolen out of my house by a guy I rented to. I hated that!!

marlinman93
01-12-2022, 12:01 PM
Well I'm already an old guy, and I use my cases often with no problem. Most of my single shots weigh 10 lbs. on the minimum side! Some weigh close to 14.5 lbs., and my 3 barrel Pope Ballard set probably weighs 30 lbs. in it's case. That one I didn't build as the case is over 100 years old, as is the gun and barrels. But it's extremely well built by someone, and still is in great shape. It should have probably had two handles, or a shoulder strap though, as it's extremely heavy!

https://i.imgur.com/Wva7Nvxl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/kovUUiXl.jpg

Didn't build this case for one of my Schoyen rifles either, but I loved that somebody covered it in Hereford hide!

https://i.imgur.com/2OBA2Ayl.jpg

Green Frog
01-12-2022, 02:06 PM
As you fellows age, those wooden gun cases can be a challenge. Easy to turn a 10 lb rifle and scope into a 20 lb carry.

We had a guy at the club who built a couple. There were very nice, but weight killed his little side business. Might be due to our membership...trap club with a lot of old men.

The other thing was getting dings and dents. Not much of a concern for something used a few times a year but frequent use takes a toll.

I am a woodworker and would never build one or a rifle I used frequently.

Don,

My reply to that would be that cases destined for a lot of carrying and use should be covered with cloth or leather.
A company called Apache Cases IIRC used to be represented at gun shows here in VA. These cases were covered with a coarse green cloth and lined in burgundy velvet. I bought one for my Marlin OU shotgun (a 20 ga). When I eventually got the same gun in 410 (a very rare bird) the case got “promoted” to carry this higher priced gun and the poor old 20 ga now has to ride around in a ballistic nylon case. The old green hard case is at least 25 years old and has gotten a few rub marks on it, but overall it still looks good and more importantly it protects the shotgun very well. The added weight is a small price to pay, IMHO.

If any of my Schuetzen rifles were as nice as Vall’s Ballards, you can be sure they would be carried in a hard case, and if I could find/afford it, a nice fitted wood case. In fact, my multi-barrel Maynard 1873 may have to have one! :cool:

Froggie

Baltimoreed
01-12-2022, 02:23 PM
Maybe because I did make it for those guns? ;) Thanks!

I wasn’t trying to be a smart a. My thought was that a random box shows up at your gunshow and your rifle turns out to be a great fit lengthwise and depthwise. I understand you rebuilt the interior to fit the Ballard and its accessories.

marlinman93
01-12-2022, 09:58 PM
I wasn’t trying to be a smart a. My thought was that a random box shows up at your gunshow and your rifle turns out to be a great fit lengthwise and depthwise. I understand you rebuilt the interior to fit the Ballard and its accessories.

When we talked previous to him bringing it in I asked him to check length. I told him not to bother bringing it in if it wasn't at least 50" or longer as it wouldn't be long enough for me to retrofit, and build out the interior.
Didn't think you were being a smarty, just didn't think you knew we'd talked before he said he'd bring it in?

M-Tecs
01-12-2022, 10:11 PM
marlinman93. I have to admit I have a greatly deal of envy for your collection. Very impressive and yes I admit to being jealous. You are a very fortunate man. Thanks for posting all the pics I enjoy them greatly.

marlinman93
01-12-2022, 10:37 PM
marlinman93. I have to admit I have a greatly deal of envy for your collection. Very impressive and yes I admit to being jealous. You are a very fortunate man. Thanks for posting all the pics I enjoy them greatly.

Thanks! I've been very lucky, and very blessed to stumble into some of the rifles that I've found. It's been a lifetime obsession, and really not sure how I've been fortunate to find many of them?

JMN
01-26-2022, 01:24 PM

Now I feel like a slacker. I made my own case but not as nice as what I see all of you doing. I tried to make it look good, but my main motivation was to protect the gun in transit since it's 150 years old. Yes it's heavy to carry around, yes the case is getting beat up. On the other hand it's fun to see the reactions when I bring the gun to the range.

marlinman93
01-26-2022, 04:28 PM

Now I feel like a slacker. I made my own case but not as nice as what I see all of you doing. I tried to make it look good, but my main motivation was to protect the gun in transit since it's 150 years old. Yes it's heavy to carry around, yes the case is getting beat up. On the other hand it's fun to see the reactions when I bring the gun to the range.

Nothing gets more interest than a neat old single shot rifle in a wooden case. Even the AR15 guys at our gun range come over to see what you have when you open up a old wood case at the range!

elmacgyver0
01-26-2022, 04:49 PM
You fellas build cases for your rifles.
Well, I got things a little backward.
I built a rifle for my case.295261

elmacgyver0
01-26-2022, 10:33 PM
Thanks! I've been very lucky, and very blessed to stumble into some of the rifles that I've found. It's been a lifetime obsession, and really not sure how I've been fortunate to find many of them?

I stumble a lot, but don't find many rifles.

marlinman93
01-27-2022, 12:17 PM
I stumble a lot, but don't find many rifles.

You're stumbling in the wrong places! :)

JMN
01-27-2022, 01:31 PM
Not just when people see the case. I get plenty of questions after I've shot it a few times as well. It doesn't sound like the inline muzzle loaders so many people have.

jdsingleshot
02-22-2022, 02:55 PM
I made the gun, the case, and the screw drivers. Processed the cherry for the case and the walnut for stock and screw drivers from stump to this. Cleaning rod is a vintage Marble's 3-piece. Stock butt rests under keeper block at right. Nothing has any wiggle room. Case handle is at the balance point. Whole thing weighs under 14 pounds. Rifle is chambered .25-20 Win.