PDA

View Full Version : Homemade lube supplies

ribber@shaw.ca
01-17-2009, 06:27 PM
I wanted to try making my own bullet liube as my only supplier is about 800 miles away and I have to order it and pay shipping costs etc .I phoned around for some beeswax and found some at Michael's about 25 miles away. I drive up there last night to get some. WOW!!!!!!!!!! 28$ [Can] a pound, Is there anybody else that sells it? I bought some to save driving all the way for nothing but don't know if I'll go back for more! Any ideas? I live on Vancouver Island on the west coast of B.C. ,Canada

wills
01-17-2009, 06:47 PM
Have you searched for it on the internet?

http://www.beeswaxco.com/multipurposeWax.htm

Sometimes people here have some.

Hip's Ax
01-17-2009, 06:51 PM
I've bought a lot of bee's wax here off of the Swapping and Selling section. Also had good luck on EBay.

mainiac
01-17-2009, 06:59 PM
I wanted to try making my own bullet liube as my only supplier is about 800 miles away and I have to order it and pay shipping costs etc .I phoned around for some beeswax and found some at Michael's about 25 miles away. I drive up there last night to get some. WOW!!!!!!!!!! 28$ [Can] a pound, Is there anybody else that sells it? I bought some to save driving all the way for nothing but don't know if I'll go back for more! Any ideas? I live on Vancouver Island on the west coast of B.C. ,Canada

28 bucks a pound?!!! Cant beleave it. I pay 7 bucks a pound at the organic hippy store,and thought that was bad.....

bbs70
01-17-2009, 08:55 PM
Not sure, but was told some time ago that toilet bowl rings were beeswax.
True or not I don't know, but if it is true it would save some bucks.

e15cap
01-17-2009, 09:36 PM
Got to be an Apiary in that area.

schutzen
01-17-2009, 09:38 PM
Try Randy Rat on this board. I got mine from him and I was well pleased with the quality, price, and service.

Silicon Wolverine
01-17-2009, 09:48 PM
toilet mounting rings are beeswax and cheap to boot

SW

fallout4x4
01-17-2009, 09:52 PM
look for a local bee keeper.

MT Gianni
01-17-2009, 09:54 PM
toilet mounting rings are beeswax and cheap to boot

SW

I believe that most are currently a petroleum wax.

randyrat
01-17-2009, 10:31 PM
OMG no need to go any futher. How much 100% beeswax do you need. Mine is top quality virgin (only melted once) fine filtered. The melt temp is kept at a low temp as to not ruin the quality. Still $3.25/lb.....It is going up in price later in the year, but for now it's staying for Cast Boolit fellows and gals $3.25/lb

Your lube is only as good as the weekest link in it. If you buy Beeswax from me the beeswax won't be the weekest link.

I'm slow at times of the year due to suplies, weather or my day job (try to melt wax at -20 F)

Most guys/gals buy 3 lb packages 3lbs X $3.25 = 9.75 + 4.80 shipping= total $14.55

yodar
01-17-2009, 10:35 PM

I know a chemist feller who made them

yodar

randyrat
01-17-2009, 10:41 PM
Try Randy Rat on this board. I got mine from him and I was well pleased with the quality, price, and service.
schutzen i sure like getting compliments like that. Thank You!

randyrat
01-17-2009, 10:57 PM
I will ship it to Canada......

keebo52
01-17-2009, 11:15 PM
PM sent

odoh
01-18-2009, 12:25 AM

Just yesterday, was buying a soldering torch at walmart and seen toilette ring and almost bought one ~ fine print said petroleum wax. Bees are in decline and suspect their wax is too. Now, theres the used/second hand rings :bigsmyl2:

357maximum
01-18-2009, 07:18 AM
Toilet bowl rings are raw unrefined "SLACK"wax...basically it is the stuff microcrystalline waxes/ petroleum jelly/ mineral oil/ paraffin comes from before the final refining. It can be useful in a smokeless lube iffin you are willing to play, but keep it out of your frontstuffers is the common consensus...I have not went BPowder with a toilet bowl ring...but pure soft 140 degree microwax/jojoba/ballistol did not make tar in my BP guns...so I do not know iffin all that petro/bp is true or not but every story is based on some form of fact.

bbs70
01-18-2009, 09:40 AM
Did some searching on line for bowl wax out of curosity.
Couldn't find any reference to bowl wax having beeswax in it.
Considering the price difference between bowl wax VS beeswax, in my opinion, bowl wax is a petro wax or something on that order.

The guys that told me bowl wax was beeswax were older and maybe back in the day they were beeswax and they just assumed that it still is.

Tom Herman
01-18-2009, 10:27 AM
Hi,

I understand the joys of trying to find items locally. All good advice so far.
If I can't find it locally or buy off this board, I go online and search for it.
My favorite lube is a homemade dead ringer for SPG:

40% Paraffin Wax
40% Sheep Tallow
20% Beeswax

No problem with the Paraffin Wax, I also had a good sized chunk of Beeswax left over from a project, but the Tallow was an issue.
I could have used beef drippin's, but Sheep Tallow has Lanolin in it, so that was the way to go.
I eventually found it super reasonable (something like $3/#) through Dixie Gun Works!
My lube costs well under $5 a pound, which is much better than the $30+ a pound for the genuine thing. And it works GREAT!
Good Luck on rounding up materials. Don't let the lack of local ingrediants be an impediment to your projects.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Willbird
01-18-2009, 11:24 AM
I got some castor oil at the hippy food store yesterday, they make a grade for EXTERNAL use only that is cheaper than the internal medicine grade, 1 pint was 10 bucks. I just looked where I ordered my anhydrous lanolin and carnauba wax

http://www.thesage.com/catalog/FixedOil.html

They have castor oil for $4 a pint, they have beeswax too but it is 7.50 per lb. They also sell stearic acid which I have used instead of ivory soap in felix lube.

It is nice to find many products at one place to help saving on the shipping :-).

Bill

felix
01-18-2009, 11:36 AM
Will, TheSage sells it for 25 bucks per gallon, so with shipping say 35? I tend to get all my stuff there whenever needed. Food grade will have a certified no baddies. Usually, first run stuff is called Virgin grade, and if cold pressed without additional heat, called Extra Virgin. Chemicals are finally added to aid extraction, some of which are not food grade, to get the last drop of product, the result is called industrial grade and/or agricultural grade, depending on the catalyst chemical(s) used. Sometimes, the catalyst chemical is stripped from the product, but the product never reaches anywhere close to "100" percent. ... felix

Willbird
01-18-2009, 11:46 AM
Will, TheSage sells it for 25 bucks per gallon, so with shipping say 35? I tend to get all my stuff there whenever needed. Food grade will have a certified no baddies. Usually, first run stuff is called Virgin grade, and if cold pressed without additional heat, called Extra Virgin. Chemicals are finally added to aid extraction, some of which are not food grade, to get the last drop of product, the result is called industrial grade and/or agricultural grade, depending on the catalyst chemical(s) used. Sometimes, the catalyst chemical is stripped from the product, but the product never reaches anywhere close to "100" percent. ... felix

Yes I get most of my stuff there too Felix, but I somehow had a small bottle of castor, and looked at maomart for more to no avail, then hit the hippy store. Being that there was no shipping it was probably break even. What I got was Home Health brand...cold pressed cold processed

http://www.amazon.com/Home-Health-Castor-Cold-liquid/dp/B00014IZ2U

I don't mind supporting local hippy stores, they have cool stuff when I need it :-)

Bill

felix
01-18-2009, 11:53 AM
Yep, those hippy stores typically have the best food grade chemicals. I go there to get my medicinal herbs. ... felix

Willbird
01-18-2009, 12:02 PM
There is some code or ordinance that requires them to reek of patchouli oil however....I manage to overlook that :-)

blackthorn
01-18-2009, 01:43 PM
I got my beeswax at a place in Surrey (on the BC lower mainland) a few years ago. Cant recall the price, but not bad as I remember. Found the place in the yellow pages! You might want to try the yellow pages for wholesale beeswax in your area. Have a great day.

Willbird
01-18-2009, 02:03 PM
I got my beeswax at a place in Surrey (on the BC lower mainland) a few years ago. Cant recall the price, but not bad as I remember. Found the place in the yellow pages! You might want to try the yellow pages for wholesale beeswax in your area. Have a great day.

I talked to a local beekeeper, amazingly he had never thought of selling the beeswax. So when you see the signs that say "honey" stop in and ask, never hurts, often the seller is not the beekeeper, but the honey typically has the phone number of the beekeeper on it.

Bill

uncle joe
01-18-2009, 02:16 PM
Just get on the internet and do a local search for beekeepers. I found out that the parent of one of the kids in the band with mine was a beekeeper. He also like willbird said he never bothered with the was. He was just throwing away the cappings and the comb. I am trying to get hooked up with him to get all I can.