PDA

View Full Version : 45 devastater

clintsfolly
01-17-2009, 06:17 PM
just got a mould in a trade tried to cast some what a pain any tips before i lose all my sense of humor [smilie=b: am using stickon ww +2%tin thanks and have fun clint:lovebooli

fishhawk
01-17-2009, 06:27 PM
need a little more info as to whats happening that has you so frustrated. steve k

clintsfolly
01-17-2009, 06:34 PM
sorry not filling out in the nose on one side but get some flash down the plug on the other side clint

MT Gianni
01-17-2009, 07:06 PM
Get the mold HOT and keep the pin HOT also. Run it as fast as you can and make a wire attachment to store the pin in the melt as soon as you pull it. Warm up time is still quite a while. They do have a good resale value though.

Leadforbrains
01-17-2009, 07:19 PM
Just what MT Gianni said. I run my mold Hot and my alloy a little on the hot side. I preheat the tip in the melt before replacing it in the mold before pouring each boolit. I have two of the Devastator molds and I am getting good fill out.

I am also pressure pouring by turning the mold sideways, mating the ladle to it and turning the mold over keeping the ladle in contact with the mold. Don't be stingy with the sprue puddle. This is a bit messy but it works for me.

redgum
01-18-2009, 03:13 AM
I had exactly that same problem.
I use 50/50 (WW/Pure) with approx about 2-3% tin added I keep the alloy HOT, and sit the tip of the pin in the gas flame under the pot,
(I ladle cast from a cast iron pot)
...still I had to carefully run a knife along the vent-lines before i could get adequate air flow out, and lead flow in, at the nose area.
Also I find it better to hold the mold upright and dump the molten alloy into it rather hard, (as opposed to tilting the mold and pouring slowly)
Hope this helps, dont give up....they are a good bullet and expand readily

shotman
01-18-2009, 03:28 AM
bottom pour works better and have buckshot take .005 off nose of pin. I run a Lee pro20 on 9 for that mold and have no problem

emptyhead
01-18-2009, 08:47 AM
I just got mine about two weeks ago and had a bear of a time for the first 1/2 hour getting a good bullet. Like they said get the mould hot , I only put my pin in the melt every te or so bullets. I get flash on one side of th bullet but it is all evened out when it is sized with the nose punch, makes the tips nice and uniform.

HeavyMetal
01-18-2009, 11:35 AM
I have a 45 devestator mold and yes these are the hardest mold to get good fill out in!

To complicate the matter you aquirred this one used. I will suggest that you check the pin diameter against the hole diameter IF you continue to have flash problems in the pin hole area.

I found my mold liked to be real hot, dunk mold in pot each time I get ready to pour as well as dip pin each time I pour, and it also did not like being fed from a full ladle??? I fill my lyman ladle half full and rotate the mold slowly from 180 degrees ( pin pointed sideways) to 90 degrees ( pin pointed down) alloy is clip on WW with about 3% tin added.

I also added one more vent line at the very top of the block, this is nothing more than taking a piece of 600 grit sand paper on a flat surface and "lightly" push the block at angle across it.

When the two mold halfs are put together you have a "vent" line right under the sprue plate to help air escape when filling. Do this very gently or you can wind up with "fins" or worse if you have a heavy hand!

WHITETAIL
01-18-2009, 11:43 AM
Yes, what was said!
I own 3 devastators and I found the same problems.
What I've had done to help make good boolets is.
Take a razor blade and score all of the vent lines.
Then Take your pin and round the verry tip.
Then HOT and FAST!:castmine:

Elk Country
01-18-2009, 06:34 PM
Guys,

Sorry to barge in on the thread, but can any of you please post a picture of the Devastater bullet. Either unlubed or lubed.

This may also be a dumb question but, Why would one need a cast hollow point? Does anyone load these for self defense?

Not trying to be antagonistic, just curious.

Thanks,
Elk Country

redgum
01-18-2009, 06:53 PM
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r49/redgum94/untitled.jpg

cohutt
01-19-2009, 08:49 AM
redgum,

Nice pics!

Makes me want one of these