PDA

View Full Version : How gun flints are made. - video

Sixgun Symphony
01-07-2022, 10:18 PM
That caps and primers are hard to find and expensive, the flintlock firearms are looking better and better as they're self-sustainable. One can make everything they need to shoot.

https://youtu.be/woJmseACBQI

Beagle333
01-07-2022, 10:35 PM
Neat!! I wish I had the skill to make it look that easy. I guess I'll have to keep buying mine at 2 bucks a pop.

Ithaca Gunner
01-07-2022, 10:40 PM
He makes it look easy. I tried dressing a flint once and all I got was blood flowing out of my thumb. Them buggers is sharp!

GregLaROCHE
01-08-2022, 06:47 AM
Amazing how simple something can look, when there is a skilled professional doing it.

Bakebfr480
01-08-2022, 07:24 AM
And………they are the best flints in the world!

sharps4590
01-08-2022, 08:26 AM
I ain't sure about that. The French Amber flints have been the best I ever had. Having said that, I bought a bag of 50 of the black, British flints quite a few years ago and they've been excellent...and a lot less expensive than the French flints. For the life of me I don't remember from whom I bought them. Some place in West Virginia, I think. For all I know they might have been made buy this gentleman.

Sasquatch-1
01-08-2022, 08:31 AM
From what I understand, there is no true flint native to the U. S. I have heard you can find flint around ports where the old sailing ships use to put in. I understand it was used as ballast and then just dumped in the harbor when they took on their money cargo for the trip home.

There are places you can buy the nodes from.

toot
01-08-2022, 10:13 AM
it is odd that he uses just metal tools to do it? all others use brass & deer antler.

toot
01-08-2022, 10:14 AM
copper & antler.

pietro
01-08-2022, 12:00 PM
Amazing how simple something can look, when there is a skilled professional doing it.

I've found out by trial & error that most things that look easy to do, aren't...………. :roll:

HighUintas
01-08-2022, 12:29 PM
From what I understand, there is no true flint native to the U. S. I have heard you can find flint around ports where the old sailing ships use to put in. I understand it was used as ballast and then just dumped in the harbor when they took on their money cargo for the trip home.

What is your source for true flints not being native to the US? I don't know much about flints, but that's the first I've read that. I have been want to try to go find some with my kid. He's a bit of a rock hound

stubshaft
01-08-2022, 12:36 PM
Interesting video Thanks!

LAGS
01-08-2022, 01:06 PM
Back when I was a kid, The local Boy Scout troop was at the park , making Knives , arrowheads and spear points out of flints.
It was fun to watch.
And they let me try to Knapp some.
It was fun , but not that easy.
But then again , I was like 10 years old.
They got the flint material from Arizona , which is where I live now.
But , back then you could not find Flint in Southern California , even at most Rock Craft Stores.

LAGS
01-08-2022, 02:16 PM
So far when I have been out hunting in central to northern Az.
The only thing I have found is Red Chert in areas where you find some kind of volcanic rock.

LAGS
01-08-2022, 03:11 PM
People tell me the chert will work for a fire starter.
But it doesn't look like it will knap like Flint.
Maybe I could Grind it to shape on my diamond saw blade.
Good excuse to get out and find some again.

Gray Fox
01-08-2022, 03:29 PM
What was the material T/C used to make their cut flints from? GF

FLINTNFIRE
01-08-2022, 04:11 PM
TC sold agate flints at one time .

MUSTANG
01-08-2022, 05:27 PM

Grew up in the Panhandle of Texas. Flint is prolific in the area - found many flint arrowheads and flint knife blades in my youth. Flint from the area was traded between numerous Indian Tribes across the current US and Mexico for millennia - some say even down into South America. A part of the area has been turned into a National Park - Alibates National Monument (https://www.nps.gov/alfl/index.htm).

In our youth - we learned to "Make Fire" with flint we found locally (Alibates Flint) so I know it sparks. I found the flooring link where some are discussing it's application in Flint Lock Rifles. http://muzzleloadermag.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/14910421/m/3274052928

imashooter2
01-08-2022, 10:27 PM
40 shots per flint? That means, at $2 per, a feller is paying 5 cents a spark!

Googled them and the place I found was $4 per, minimum order 2, and the cheap shipping was $16.89. Gun broker primers are cheaper. :veryconfu

todd9.3x57
01-08-2022, 10:44 PM
i'm trying french amber flints. i am still on my first one. i guess its been fired about 50 times.

http://heritage-products.com/

Sixgun Symphony
01-09-2022, 12:56 AM
Im in idaho, no flint for me.

Agate and chert will also give spark.

Sixgun Symphony
01-09-2022, 12:59 AM
Googled them and the place I found was $4 per, minimum order 2, and the cheap shipping was $16.89. Gun broker primers are cheaper. :veryconfu

Learn how to knap flint and it becomes free.

Walks
01-09-2022, 03:56 AM
My Dad taught Me how to do that. I never got a good one. Dad said I didn't have the touch for it.

sharps4590
01-09-2022, 08:57 AM
i'm trying french amber flints. i am still on my first one. i guess its been fired about 50 times.

http://heritage-products.com/

That was my experience Todd. The ones I put in my 45 cal. rifle and 45 cal. pistol I expect are approaching 100 shots.

Sasquatch-1
01-09-2022, 09:10 AM
https://sciencing.com/places-to-find-flintstones-13406865.html

From the above linked article: "Geographical Location
Flint can be found in the wild spaces of Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Texas, West Virginia, Wisconsin and Wyoming. The deposits are concentrated in the areas covered by these states, making them great places to start your search. Flint is not found naturally in the western, southwestern or mid-southern regions of the United States."

This probably "chert" as opposed to true flint.

Article Summary
Co-authored by Britt Edelen
Last Updated: June 2, 2021 References Approved

Flint, also known as chert, is a type of sedimentary rock that has many uses. It was once commonly used to form rudimentary tools like knives and spear tips. Flint is often used by outdoorsmen to create sparks for a fire when it is struck against hardened steel. Knowing how to find a piece of flint can come in handy when you're in the wild. Whether you're looking for artifacts or a way to start a fire, identifying flint isn't as hard as you think. But it only occurs where there was an ocean at one time. Chalk deposits are a dead giveaway to the existence of flint. You won't find flint in the North East U.S. But it is very common in the South East and Mid West. Quartz is a metamorphic rock and can be used like flint to start fires. Agate in the Mid West can also be used like flint.

centershot
01-09-2022, 01:49 PM
This probably "chert" as opposed to true flint.

Article Summary
Co-authored by Britt Edelen
Last Updated: June 2, 2021 References Approved

Flint, also known as chert, is a type of sedimentary rock that has many uses. It was once commonly used to form rudimentary tools like knives and spear tips. Flint is often used by outdoorsmen to create sparks for a fire when it is struck against hardened steel. Knowing how to find a piece of flint can come in handy when you're in the wild. Whether you're looking for artifacts or a way to start a fire, identifying flint isn't as hard as you think. But it only occurs where there was an ocean at one time. Chalk deposits are a dead giveaway to the existence of flint. You won't find flint in the North East U.S. But it is very common in the South East and Mid West. Quartz is a metamorphic rock and can be used like flint to start fires. Agate in the Mid West can also be used like flint.

That is utter nonsense! The father of a friend of mine collected thousands of flint arrowheads and spear points throughout his life! Thousands of them! These were collected south of Jamestown, NY in the farm fields alongside Stillwater Creek. No flint in the Northeast US??? B******t!

todd9.3x57
01-09-2022, 04:54 PM
That was my experience Todd. The ones I put in my 45 cal. rifle and 45 cal. pistol I expect are approaching 100 shots.

before i bought "hard" german flints, but it was a fine way to ruin your frizzen. i bought a few english flints and i think thompson center agate flints but i wasn't impressed by them. esp. the tc flints.

GregLaROCHE
01-09-2022, 06:17 PM
How many people Knapp their flints when they stop parking enough? How many times can you Knapp them? After you have knapped them, do they last for as many firings as new ones?

Jim22
01-09-2022, 06:38 PM
Pedernal is the spanish word for flint. There is a Pedernales river in Texas. People find flint there.

https://youtu.be/Blp5dQ02m1k

Jim