PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 45 pressure nut

roysha
01-07-2022, 06:57 PM
Like probably most of you that use the 45, the lube has a tendency to leak past the pressure nut and one ends up with a big wad of lube on top it. It's really no big deal but to me this has been an aggravation since I started using this tool 40 plus years ago. So, to fix this I decided to make a new pressure nut and use a hydraulic U-cup for a hydraulic piston, kinda like on a grease gun. I found the right size on ebay along with the somewhat bastard 3/8x20 tpi tap. Turned the nut from a piece of cold rolled stock about .020" smaller than the ID of the lube reservoir, turned a boss on the nut to allow alignment of the cup on the nut. Drilled and tapped for the feed screw. I then super glued the cup onto the nut so I could turn off the inside lip of the cup. Found, just by accident, a washer with the right diameter to fit inside the cup to retain it. Drilled and tapped 4-4x40 tpi holes, countersunk them to accept the flathead screws and VOILA, no more leaking.

deltaenterprizes
01-07-2022, 07:01 PM
Nice work!

metricmonkeywrench
01-07-2022, 08:07 PM
When do you go into production? After the patent clears?

fc60
01-07-2022, 08:21 PM
Greetings,

Would you kindly post the link to the U-Cup seal.

Cheers,

David

imashooter2
01-07-2022, 09:18 PM
A unique solution to the leaking skirt on the original 45 nut.

Most will find it easier to simply swap in the current 4500 nut.

roysha
01-10-2022, 03:17 AM
Greetings,

Would you kindly post the link to the U-Cup seal.

Cheers,

David

Go to ebay and enter 20-60mm PU Rod Seal Hydraulic U-Cup UN-Type For Hydraulic Piston Cylinder. I ordered the 22x29x5 and it fits my reservoir perfectly.

imashooter2: "Most will find it easier to simply swap in the current 4500 nut." You are, of course, correct but why spend 10 minutes doing something that I can waste a couple of hours on plus have it cost more (seal and tap) to achieve the same result? :bigsmyl2:

imashooter2
01-10-2022, 09:12 AM
It was a good project and a nice result. Who amongst us hasn’t spent 3 days and $10 to save $5? :drinks:

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-10-2022, 10:12 AM
Nice work.
What are the odds of success using that hydraulic U-cup seal and a modified steel washer, with the existing Pressure nut (with brass ring removed)?

Eddie Southgate
01-10-2022, 12:32 PM
Nice work.
What are the odds of success using that hydraulic U-cup seal and a modified steel washer, with the existing Pressure nut (with brass ring removed)?

According to America "You'll never know until you try " .

roysha
01-10-2022, 01:04 PM
Nice work.

I'm sure they would be very good. I debated with myself as to whether to go that route and decided to keep the original pressure nut intact and just make a new one.

Green Frog
01-18-2022, 01:24 PM
A dear friend of mine, now sadly departed, was a first class machinist. For small pins, screws and other simple parts, he wouldn’t wait to order and have them shipped, or even drive the 25 or so miles to town… he would make them himself and have the job off his bench and be able to move on to other jobs. Makes sense to me! ;)

Froggie

CastingFool
01-18-2022, 02:57 PM
imashooter2: "Most will find it easier to simply swap in the current 4500 nut." You are, of course, correct but why spend 10 minutes doing something that I can waste a couple of hours on plus have it cost more (seal and tap) to achieve the same result?

It's called satisfaction. lol.