PDA

View Full Version : What do you wear while casting

Jacksgrampa
01-07-2022, 12:34 PM
I cast in cooler weather and can wear safety glasses, leather boots, wool pants, long sleeve shirt, hat, gloves and leather apron. Am I missing anything?

Beagle333
01-07-2022, 12:46 PM
Gloves, glasses, shoes with pants over tops (boots if pants don't reach shoes), and usually short sleeves. I'm pretty careful with making sure new ingots are dry and pre-warmed and I very rarely feel any spatter to the arms. And I cast sitting down. I'm not supposed to stand still in one place for long. (DVT)

robg
01-07-2022, 12:55 PM
leather apron /gloves .long sleeved cotton shirt my glasses and a cloth bandanna.i cast sitting down .

Ed_Shot
01-07-2022, 01:12 PM
I cast year round. When need more I cast more. I use a Lee 4-20 and sit at my purpose-built casting table. When its cold: hat, glasses, sweatshirt, blue jeens, tennis shoes. When it's hot: hat, glasses, T-shirt, shorts, tennis shoes.

Kraschenbirn
01-07-2022, 01:51 PM
I cast in cooler weather and can wear safety glasses, leather boots, wool pants, long sleeve shirt, hat, gloves and leather apron. Am I missing anything?

Nope...don't think so. My 'typical' is about the same except for work jeans and a canvas welder's apron.

Bill

FLINTNFIRE
01-07-2022, 02:30 PM
Fire retardant coveralls one set when melting scrap as its a dirty job , other for casting bullets . Cotton clothes , leather gloves , safety glasses .

MT Gianni
01-07-2022, 03:56 PM
Wool is tough to clean spatters off from. I use a pair of carhart bibs to cover them.
If I were to have a dedicated set of casting clothes it would be all cotton and heavily starched. Weld splatter rolls off that and expect melted alloy would too.

OutHuntn84
01-07-2022, 04:04 PM
All you are missing is a good hat and fresh underwear. If you are smelting a bunch of crud for ingots don't put your head over the pot and stay upwind.

zarrinvz24
01-07-2022, 04:11 PM
Most of the time, shorts, T-shirt and flip-flops. Before anyone cautions me, yes I know this is probably not advisable and I've only poured molten lead onto my leg once. That's all it took, now I move slow, smoothly and carefully. If I have enough foresight to plan a casting session I try and wear jeans and closed toed leather shoes.

Best advice I can give to anyone is to wear only cotton. Nylon and the other glorified plastics that we call clothing nowadays will only melt to one's skin. I'm sure there is an entire generation of veterans that remember being in Afghanistan and Iraq during the winter and being told we cannot wear our cold weather clothing because of this.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-07-2022, 04:17 PM
Jeans, Tee-shirt, and shoes ...one standard leather work glove and safety glasses with "reader" bifocals.

Winger Ed.
01-07-2022, 05:02 PM
After a lapse of thought, caution, and common sense that caused me to get well splattered, burned, and decorated the ceiling:
Now days---
I only wear long pants, an expendable blue jean jacket to complement my welding gloves, and wrap around safety glasses.

45-70 Chevroner
01-07-2022, 05:50 PM
Leather gloves, old blue jeans, old long sleeve cotton shirt summer or winter, old tennis shoes, rap around safety glasses, and sometimes a shop apron. I always sit while casting. I cast in my # two garage in the entrance, I'm lucky to have a seperate garage from the house. It's my wood working and reloading area + room to park my Pickup. Just very fortunate to have all this much room for stuff.

Seeker
01-07-2022, 05:55 PM
I wear what ever I have on at the time. Usually jeans, tee shirt, socks and crocks. This is while casting bullets or smelting wheels and lead into ingots. A couple of years ago I splashed a little lead onto my foot while pouring ingots and it burned me pretty good as I was wearing crocks. I had a few really sore blisters on my toes and in between for awhile but they healed up. A year later, after I saved up 3 more buckets of all lead wheel weights, I was at it again and wore the same crocks but was a little more careful. All went well that time. Learn from experience. What doesn't kill you will make you stronger,... except bears,...bears will kill you.:)

Texas by God
01-07-2022, 06:19 PM
Blue jeans, ropers, and pearl snap shirts- you know, everyday wear. I usually cast on cold days because casting when it's above 100° isn't on my fun list.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

RKJ
01-07-2022, 06:36 PM
Pretty much wear the same as most here. Jeans, old L/S shirt, hat, loafers, glasses, and cotton gloves while sitting.

Mitch
01-07-2022, 07:27 PM
I see not many wear a hat.I proctect the dome for sun,bumps,scrapes,lead spatter and anything else that might hurt

Cosmic_Charlie
01-07-2022, 07:46 PM
A bathrobe and slippers. I should be more safety conscious no doubt. So far no burns.

Outer Rondacker
01-07-2022, 09:54 PM
Boots, jeans with leather chaps, gloves, face shield, hat and jean long sleeve shirt with a leather vest. Well, that is what I started with. Now just normal daily get up. Jeans boots T shirt with shield and still use the gloves.

I have had a pot explode before. It was a used one I had bought from a garage sale full of lead. Looks like they may had tried to clean it up before the sale and got water in the pot. This is why I kept my distance while it was heating up. Pot works good now.

GregLaROCHE
01-08-2022, 07:02 AM
Wool is tough to clean spatters off from. I use a pair of carhart bibs to cover them.
If I were to have a dedicated set of casting clothes it would be all cotton and heavily starched. Weld splatter rolls off that and expect melted alloy would too.

I’ve picked pieces of splattered lead out of my Carharts many times. Now I wear a heavy denim shop apron. If the lead doesn’t shake off, it stays there.

lightman
01-09-2022, 11:26 PM
Blue Jeans worn outside of boots, long sleeve shirt and safety glasses. The Shirt and Jeans both are FR rated, left over from work. I'll add leather gloves if I''m smelting.

stubshaft
01-10-2022, 12:11 AM
Shorts, slippers and a leather glove on my right hand.

poppy42
01-10-2022, 02:06 AM
A kilt! :bigsmyl2:

kevin c
01-10-2022, 03:54 AM
If I’m honest, the only things I’ve always worn every single time I cast boolits are eye protection, long pants, closed shoes and socks. Most of of the time I’ve also used long sleeves and a thin leather glove on my right hand. This is with a bottom pour where the most spillage I’ve had is drips out of the spout or off the mold, all of which are caught by an ingot mold under the spout.

Contrast that with the area around my 250# processing pot that has alloy all over from bumps to the ladle holding up to 10# of molten alloy, spillage moving it over the molds and splashes pouring into them. There’s also spatter from heated voids in the solid scrap popping off if I play a weed burner over the top to speed melting. Here I’m covered head to toe: hat, face shield, buttoned up long sleeve with leather apron and arm guards, doubled gloves, denim jeans and leather uppered shoes.

brass410
01-10-2022, 10:38 AM
euro thong, with fuzzy pink flip flops, thats in winter, in summer sometimes less.

tdoor4570
01-10-2022, 10:39 AM
When its cold then its sweats coat shoes heat on in the shop, when warm its shorts t shirt sandals. same when smelting down lead into ingots.

dverna
01-10-2022, 12:36 PM
If you are using a bottom pour, add a large cookie sheet under it.

I used to also wear a respirator as I had elevated lead levels from shooting in a poorly ventilated indoor range many years ago...i would not need it now. If casting with poor ventilation (I have seen pictures of guys doing it in a closed space) add the respirator and the right filters for it.

A bucket of water nearby if you get burned and a fire extinguisher...just in case things go south.

almar
01-10-2022, 01:12 PM
Nothing special. Whatever i was wearing that day. No gloves. I cast on my covered back porch.

dondiego
01-10-2022, 01:29 PM
........khakis?

alamogunr
01-10-2022, 01:30 PM
Many years ago an expert welder advised me to wear well starched denim shirt & jeans. NO synthetics. It is not always convenient to follow the "well starched" advice but the only difference in results seems to be whether spatters stick to it or not. Other than that I'm always well covered even in summer. Should mention that I cast in my heated/cooled shop. Since I rely on a ceiling trap door for venting instead of a duct-ed fan exhaust, I'm apparently not long for this world. Since I'm 79, the same would apply regardless.

fredj338
01-10-2022, 03:56 PM
I have been casting for 45y, I dont wear any special protective gear but a glove on my left hand for holding the mold. If using my Magma & fan unit, I wear a n95 mask. Never had a tinsel fairy event or anything else. Agree on not wearing anything poly, though I have, a spatter will burn a hole instantly.

Echo
01-11-2022, 11:37 AM
Leather gloves, cargo shorts, knit shirt, glasses (been wearing glasses since 2nd grade!), work shoes. Get the occ pinhead-sized splatter on a knee, and have survived those. And am careful...

popper
01-11-2022, 12:55 PM
At minimum, safety glasses and long sleeve shirt. Use a towel in the lap if I'm wearing shorts. Usually an old ball cap to protect my scalp - tinsel fairy causes aerial drops.

openbook
01-11-2022, 05:19 PM
Jeans, fireplace gloves, eye pro, and boots.

Shanghai Jack
01-11-2022, 07:48 PM
I cast naked - makes me extremely focused on what I'm doing.

deaddeerwalking
01-11-2022, 08:46 PM
Shorts, tank top and sandals 😂😂😂😂

Glwenzl
01-12-2022, 06:07 PM
I started started wearing my welding coat after this. Some of it ended up going down my leaving some nice spots on my waist line.

Super Sneaky Steve
01-12-2022, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the reminder Glwenzl. A lot of us get a little too comfortable sometimes. I never forget my safety glasses, but I should do better with the rest of my dress.

imashooter2
01-12-2022, 07:47 PM
Cotton pants, cotton shirt, cotton apron, leather shoes, leather gloves, glasses.

Glwenzl
01-14-2022, 09:27 AM
Not to hijack this thread and delete my post if it’s not on topic.

I would like to know what you do with your clothing after a tinsel fairy event?

I threw my coat and shirt away but I’m not sure if I should try to clean the lead stuck on my cotton pants and wash them or just pitch them?

I was going to scraped off all I could, then wash and wear them… got to thinking about small pieces coming off in the washer… potential x-wear or damage to the washer and the possibility of a piece ending up in another load and someplace where the grandkids could get into it….

alamogunr
01-15-2022, 04:50 PM
Not to hijack this thread and delete my post if it’s not on topic.

I would like to know what you do with your clothing after a tinsel fairy event?

I threw my coat and shirt away but I’m not sure if I should try to clean the lead stuck on my cotton pants and wash them or just pitch them?

I was going to scraped off all I could, then wash and wear them… got to thinking about small pieces coming off in the washer… potential x-wear or damage to the washer and the possibility of a piece ending up in another load and someplace where the grandkids could get into it….

When I was actively acquiring WW that I had to clean up, I wore a dedicated set of duck bib overalls and whatever old shirt was still wearable. Always had a pair of old shoes that the overall legs mostly covered.

The overalls and shirts had various spits of lead but nothing like a tensile fairy episode would deposit. I just washed them and didn't worry about the clinging lead drops. No kids in the house and I don't think whatever amount of lead that came off in the wash would present a problem.

imashooter2
01-15-2022, 05:46 PM
Never had such an event, but I would probably throw those clothes away.

Glwenzl
01-15-2022, 07:31 PM
I did those but the cotton pants got splattered and otherwise appear to be in good shape. Most of the lead peeled off of them. Just not sure it’s worth the risk. Thank you

afish4570
01-15-2022, 11:23 PM
Cotton clothes, no holes ,old ball cap , glasses or eye protection, leather boots. Pants should be long enough so a molten splatters don't find there way down your boot.....I put a couple of rubber bands on jeans to make sure. I like to cast when its 45 degrees or so I can where wear so protective clothing. Enjoy and be safe. afish4570