PDA

View Full Version : Ay propane tank experts here?

Rickf1985
01-06-2022, 05:47 PM
I have three 20# propane tanks that have at least half full liquid in them but when I open the valve I get nothing. two of the tanks came from an auction so are unknowns but one I just took off of a grill of mine that I have not used for several years. I know this tank had a fair amount in it when I stopped using the grill and it was connected the entire time. I just disconnected it today. I cracked the valve open to be sure it had something in it even though I can hear it sloshing and nothing. I thought he others may have been left open and filled with condensation, they are fairly old but that could not have happened with this one. ideas?

Tar Heel
01-06-2022, 05:57 PM
Open the valve and turn the tank over. If liquid runs out, the valve works and you probably have something other than LPG in the tank. If nothing comes out, the valve isn't working.

HWooldridge
01-06-2022, 05:59 PM
Some of the newer valves are spring loaded and require a different connector that compresses a ball seal when screwed down.

Winger Ed.
01-06-2022, 06:14 PM
If you can't get them to work, they still have value. Do the swap/exchange someplace and get fresh ones.

The company that fills and restocks them will purge the tank, put on a new valve,
and put it back into the system.

Adk Mike
01-06-2022, 06:22 PM
All newer propane tanks since about 1996 under 60 pounds have a back check built in them. It is called an OPD valve. They are triangle shaped. The gas won’t come unless there is an appliance installed. Ask me about propane anytime. It’s been my day job for 37 years. Mike

Rickf1985
01-06-2022, 06:23 PM
Tar heel, tried that, no water. HW, I will have to hook my burner up and see what happens and Winger, I have never used those exchange places so not sure how that works but I do know they are a lot more money than filling one. I have a few I can still get filled I think.
I just replaced one of my burner regulators with a new one, I will attach the old one to the tank and see if anything comes out. Then I will invert it and see if it is propane or water on the unknowns if something does come out.

Rickf1985
01-06-2022, 06:36 PM
Mike, didn't see your reply since I was typing my reply. I know about the OPD but does that pertain to the older tanks with the POL connector? One of the unknown tanks has the older style connector. My burner uses a POL connector on the newer OBD tanks. I will have to send you a picture of the "Death melter". This thing is scary!!! I bought it as is and the seller told me that it came from an estate of a friend whom he knew and he knew the guy used that burner. Well, after bribing the guy at the filling station to fill an undated tank I found out the valve is very iffy. It is nothing, nothing, nothing, ON! Then back, back ,back until you reach a semi safe flame that does not look like a steel smelter. I do not use that one. It is actually a regular lead melter for plumbers but it is old and the valve needs rebuilding. I had to make a new gasket for the flat mating surface between the burner assembly and the tank/valve. First time I fired it up the flames went down around the tank. Good thing I don't scare easily and I had welding gloves on so I could peach in the flames to quickly turn it off. Yep, "Death Melter".
You can actually see that lead melter in this pic top right of the pic. Not sure if you can zoom in or not.

https://i.postimg.cc/65dc3ygy/IMG-20220104-133637664.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Winger Ed.
01-06-2022, 06:48 PM
I have never used those exchange places so not sure how that works but I do know they are a lot more money than filling one. I have a few I can still get filled I think..

Yeah, they're high. You pay for the convienence as much as anything.
You hand them your old/empty one, get a fresh one, pay the lady, and leave.
This also works well if your little tank is old and due for a hydrostatic test.

Beware: I think it's the 'Blue Rino' company that uses different valves only they can refill with their own adapter.
Also--- If you already go to a refill place, they should also have new valves for sale that they can refill.

Tar Heel
01-06-2022, 07:10 PM
I am tapping out of this one gents.

Rickf1985
01-06-2022, 07:24 PM
I was not aware of the Blue Rhino thing, it does make sense they would use proprietary equipment. The prevents you from just dumping your old stuff on them to get a new one and never come back. If you need to take that new tank and then buy a new valve for it you might as well buy a new tank at the local farm store. I thought the fill was right through the POL connection. If that connection is different then it will no longer fit my equipment.

Winger Ed.
01-06-2022, 07:43 PM
The prevents you from just dumping your old stuff on them to get a new one and never come back.

I think they do fill through that.
But their filling connector is different, and probably has longer to reach in and open a check valve at the back of it.

Swapping is no big deal, they just put their valve on your old tank.
The people at the swap rack places don't know or care what brand label is on your old tank.
And it gives Blue Rino more of their unique tanks out in their racks
without having to buy a new one their self when they service and send back out your old one.

NyFirefighter357
01-06-2022, 10:23 PM
Some of the newer valves are spring loaded and require a different connector that compresses a ball seal when screwed down.

This

Stewbaby
01-06-2022, 10:33 PM
…there is a bleed screw on the side you can loosen with a screwdriver to bleed/verify gas (liquid if you invert)

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220107/84d3a0ae8570effdf8ef23eac82d5ff1.jpg

samari46
01-07-2022, 01:31 AM
I have an old plumbers style burner and pot. The connection is a flat plate with threads that you literally screw onto the plate on the propane tank. Looked for quite awhile down here and no one sells the style I need. So just sits in the garage. Frank

Walks
01-07-2022, 04:03 AM
Use the Blue Rhino at Home Depot or Lowe's. Go in on a Sat morning, Garden shop. Set Your old tank in front of the rack, grab a new one and take to cashier. Point out old take to cashier and pay exchange fee.

pete501
01-07-2022, 12:16 PM
On those exchange places I would check the date on the new tank. Last time I got a tank with only a few months left until it expired.

It would seem that the connection for filling would be the same as the bbq's hook-up for gas delivery. I would think it would be universal, if Rino has a something different for filling then wouldn't you need the same Rino hook-up for the delivery (to the bbq).

Winger Ed.
01-07-2022, 12:52 PM
if Rino has a something different for filling then wouldn't you need the same Rino hook-up for the delivery (to the bbq).

Nah,, they got it figured out.
Their nozzle that goes in to fill their tanks is a little longer or something
to reach in and push in a check ball or something like that in their valve.
It keeps you from being able to refill their tank your self off a big tank, or the local propane shop from filling it.

I used to get a larger propane tank filled for a shop heater years ago, and tanks for a forklift.
The propane guy screwed his filler nozzle into the top valve like we do a BBQ grill,
but it had a snout on it that pushed back some piece inside the valve before it would allow the flow.
BR has a similar filler nozzle for their valves, but it's just different enough so other ones won't work.

Chaparral66
01-07-2022, 01:09 PM
In my quest to make a larger smelting pot I needed an old tank. Got one from the local lumber yard that was "empty". Got over an hour of run time smelting before it pooped out. Then removed the valve, added some liquid dish soap and some water shook it around, drained and rinsed and left upside down for a week. Then cut-off wheel to start a slot and on to a Sawzall. Perfect. Depending on the age of the tank it may not fit on the new tank fittings so you'll need to find an older propane stove or torch to burn off the gas.

Another option is to drop off the tanks you can't empty at the refill station and ask to buy an empty tank. Or maybe you can trade your old tank for a newer out of date tank. In MA there is a date stamped on the tanks and if older than 12 years it cannot be refilled. Oooo, these are candidates for cutting into half tank planters, ahhh... smelting pots.

FLINTNFIRE
01-07-2022, 02:32 PM
I have traded one in at a blue rhino , it has been filled by the local propane places several times .

Winger Ed.
01-07-2022, 03:19 PM
I have traded one in at a blue rhino , it has been filled by the local propane places several times .

I did a little research:

Their unique valve can be identified by a triangle shaped knob, and a triangle design stamped onto the valve.
It takes a magnetic key inserted on the side to move a steel check ball, and allow it to be filled.
There are old ones out there that haven't been retrofitted, and as resourceful as people are--
As long as they've been doing it--- I'd bet other folks have gotten ahold of the key that unlocks it.

Their new generation TS2 cylinder also has a over fill protection float type device.
It doesn't seem to allow the tank to be filled all the way to the top.

My big issue with swapping for a BR company's newer TS2 cylinder
is they only put 17 1/2 pounds of propane in their 20 pound size tanks.

They say its for 'safety reasons'.
I'm sure it's not so you think their full cylinders are cheaper than the next company's,
or that you're paying for 20 pounds and only getting 17 1/2.

Rickf1985
01-07-2022, 03:47 PM
What happened to ADK mike? I would bet he could clear this up.

Winger Ed.
01-07-2022, 03:49 PM
What happened to ADK mike? I would bet he could clear this up.

I was wondering that myself.
I figure he's either on a secret mission to save western civilization,
or he might have been shot by a jealous husband while climbing out of some pretty young lady's window.

FLINTNFIRE
01-07-2022, 05:09 PM
I know how much less fuel is in the trade ins , but when your tank is expired , there is no filling till it is tested and so marked , now for the testing you will pay if you can find a place to do it , not happening around here anymore so you trade in your tank get one with whatever amount they are filling them and go from there , no issues with the ones I have exchanged .

Last month the u-haul place would not fill tank as it was laying on its side , looking into the TS2 valves that blue rhino is said to use , shows that some tanks they exchange have them but not all have the TS2 valves , so check when exchanging , also according to a couple of web sites blue rhino has quit putting their TS2 valves on tanks .

So buyer beware , a few of my tanks have expired so it was buy a new tank or swap , all in all swapping was cheaper .

Rickf1985
01-07-2022, 05:32 PM
Follow up on the tanks I have, it was an internal valve on the OPD tanks. Once I put a regulator on them I got gas out so I am good to go for quite a while. I found that two of my empty tanks are still in date so I am going to get them filled before I forget and then I will have propane for the rest of my smelting and also in case my 100 lb. tank runs out for my heater. Yes, I am a wuss and I do not like it when the garage is below 20 degrees.

No_1
01-08-2022, 03:05 AM
I use to pick up tanks from the curb on trash night then trade them in on blue rhino tanks. I found out quickly that the kids working the grocery store / 7-11 / Walmart really don’t know or care what you trade in as long as it is a 20lb tank. At one point I kept 12 tanks on hand but am now down to 4 (blue rhino) after giving the rest to the (adult) kids for their gear.

As far as filling them I always use the local U-haul and they have never said a thing. They fill by weight but their pump measures gallons. According to them an empty tank holds about 4 1/2 gallons. Yesterday I took 2 tanks to be refilled - one still had ~2 gallons remaining and the other was dry. It took 6.8 gallons for both and at the current local price of $4.00 per gallon I paid $28 plus change for the fill.