PDA

View Full Version : Lee 356-125-2R cast boolit.

dearslayer
01-06-2022, 03:52 AM
Looking to finally try the Win 231 with this cast bullet. I've only cast a few batches of this style of bullet with this mold and powder coated them. Not sure why but it seems there is a difference in how far I have to seat the bullet with this latest batch of 9mm ( now have to seat them to 1.075 OAL ) in order to get them to drop from the barrel doing the plunk test in both my CZ pistols. The last batch I PC'ed I had to seat for an OAL of 1.092 to pass the plunk test and was using Titegroup. Perhaps it could be a difference in the thickness of the PC that's causing them to hang up as well as the Ogive on this style of bullet. So to start with this time, I loaded 20 rounds each at 3.9gr and 4.1gr of Win 231 to try in the morning. My concern is that because I have to seat the bullet so much lower than what the Lee manual says for the 125gr cast bullet that there may be too much pressure ( I'm at work at the moment and don't remember what the OAL says in the manual ). Should I be concerned about them having too much pressure with the OAL at 1.075? I think I may switch to a different mold such as the Lee 356-120-TC that has a different Ogive profile in hopes that I'll have less issues after PC'ing and won't have to seat the boolits so low to avoid them hanging up and not dropping from the barrel. Is this making any sense?

openbook
01-06-2022, 11:08 AM
When you say the "Lee manual," do you mean Lee Modern Reloading, or the foldout data that comes with their dies? The Lee foldout table "Min OAL" is for the maximum load ("With NEVER EXCEED Loads maintain MIN OAL or longer.") For 9mm Luger, under "125 Grain Lead Bullet" and "Win 231," the start grains is 3.9 and the NEVER EXCEED is 4.4, with a Min OAL of 1.125" for the NEVER EXCEED.

But in my Lyman's 4th, I see the following several bullets listed (at weights close to your 125):

(Boolit) (Grains) (Min Load of Win 231) (Max Load of Win 231) (OAL)

Lyman #356242, 120, 3.0, 4.1, 1.065"
Lyman #356402, 120, 2.9, 4.4, 1.110"
RCBS #9mm-124-CN, 124, 3.9, 4.3, 1.050"
Lyman #356637 HP, 125, 4.0, 4.4, 1.010"

Your 1.075 OAL is longer than all but one of the above (the Lyman #356402, a conical shape that's naturally going to be longer than your RN boolit). Since the Lee Min OAL is for the NEVER EXCEED load (still assuming you're using the foldout data), I'd reason that your pressures are going to be reasonable with your 3.9 and 4.1 gr loads.

poppy42
01-06-2022, 03:02 PM
Deerslayer, didn’t you ask almost the exact same question back on 12/28? Or am I mistaken. The answers that received for that topic are the same as this question. I’ve loaded an shot thousands of these bullets. You have to understand that the Lee manual is based on generic data generated from many different sources. I think is a great book especially, for a beginning reloader. If you use there data exactly as it states your not going to blow up your gun. Not all guns and boolets are the same. Col might need to be tweaked. The .05 difference as far as I’m concerned is acceptable. And yes heavy pc can definitely make a difference!

dearslayer
01-06-2022, 09:39 PM
Deerslayer, didn’t you ask almost the exact same question back on 12/28? Or am I mistaken. The answers that received for that topic are the same as this question. I’ve loaded an shot thousands of these bullets. You have to understand that the Lee manual is based on generic data generated from many different sources. I think is a great book especially, for a beginning reloader. If you use there data exactly as it states your not going to blow up your gun. Not all guns and boolets are the same. Col might need to be tweaked. The .05 difference as far as I’m concerned is acceptable. And yes heavy pc can definitely make a difference!

Hi.... I don't recall that it was me asking that question however I do remember responding to another thread regarding the same mold. As a relatively inexperienced caster and reloader I was leaning on the side of caution rather than taking a chance and being unsafe. Having to seat the same bullet even deeper than previously had me concerned. I apologize if it was a redundant question and post.
I did go to the range this morning after work and everything went fine. The action cycled perfectly and accuracy was pretty good however I was only shooting at 15 ft. I wanted to get a feel for where the bullets were landing considering I was shooting free hand. There were no signs of excessive pressure that I could see. Now that I know both 3.9 and 4.1 grs work well I'll reload some more and try shooting at a greater distance next week.

GT

dearslayer
01-06-2022, 09:43 PM
When you say the "Lee manual," do you mean Lee Modern Reloading, or the foldout data that comes with their dies? The Lee foldout table "Min OAL" is for the maximum load ("With NEVER EXCEED Loads maintain MIN OAL or longer.") For 9mm Luger, under "125 Grain Lead Bullet" and "Win 231," the start grains is 3.9 and the NEVER EXCEED is 4.4, with a Min OAL of 1.125" for the NEVER EXCEED.

But in my Lyman's 4th, I see the following several bullets listed (at weights close to your 125):

(Boolit) (Grains) (Min Load of Win 231) (Max Load of Win 231) (OAL)

Lyman #356242, 120, 3.0, 4.1, 1.065"
Lyman #356402, 120, 2.9, 4.4, 1.110"
RCBS #9mm-124-CN, 124, 3.9, 4.3, 1.050"
Lyman #356637 HP, 125, 4.0, 4.4, 1.010"

Your 1.075 OAL is longer than all but one of the above (the Lyman #356402, a conical shape that's naturally going to be longer than your RN boolit). Since the Lee Min OAL is for the NEVER EXCEED load (still assuming you're using the foldout data), I'd reason that your pressures are going to be reasonable with your 3.9 and 4.1 gr loads.

I was referring to the Lee reloading manual and not the fold out.

AndyC
01-07-2022, 12:43 AM
Lee 356-125-2R cast boolit - many of us have had problems with that damn bullet, particularly in barrels with short throats such as CZ, S&W Shield, etc.

A short throat and width of that bullet at the nose/ogive clash badly (unless you cram it in deep, as you found) - DougGuy here on the forum fixed my own CZ75 barrel's throat and I had no more issues but when I tried to make ammo for 3 other friends, their short-throated pistols jammed with it (and made me look like an ass who doesn't know how to reload ammo) so I finally gave up and sold the mold, replacing it with an MP mold.

dearslayer
01-07-2022, 01:26 AM
Lee 356-125-2R cast boolit - many of us have had problems with that damn bullet, particularly in barrels with short throats such as CZ, S&W Shield, etc.

A short throat and width of that bullet at the nose/ogive clash badly (unless you cram it in deep, as you found) - DougGuy here on the forum fixed my own CZ75 barrel's throat and I had no more issues but when I tried to make ammo for 3 other friends, their short-throated pistols jammed with it (and made me look like an ass who doesn't know how to reload ammo) so I finally gave up and sold the mold, replacing it with an MP mold.

I had my name on their notification list ( MP mold ) for a 9mm mold that they are sold out of. In the mean time at least I now know how deep to seat the boolits safely so I can continue to use it until I get a different mold.

Thumbcocker
01-07-2022, 08:49 AM
My cz75 was a bit fussy until I sent the barrel to Doug to be throated. It is a happy camper now.

243winxb
01-07-2022, 10:18 AM
Plastic coatings increase diameter on the ogive. This requires a shorter COL. https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?media/lee356-120-tc-slugged-barrel-of-taurus-g3c-9mm-luger.3610/full

Lee 356-120-TC. 9mm Luger bullet. I use a very short COL to fit Taurus G3C chamber. 1.045" is maximum COL.
https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?media/albums/taurus-g3c-9mm-luger.317/

No pressure issues using Speer lead data thats posted online. Tried 4 different powders.