PDA

View Full Version : EV range article

snowwolfe
01-05-2022, 11:38 AM
Interesting read:
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a38668912/750-mile-ev-battery-michigan-startup-our-next-energy/

NSB
01-05-2022, 12:45 PM
Physics 101: Conservation of Energy. Making it go further is one thing. Time to recharge is another. There are two parts to “charging anxiety: How far can I go and how long to recharge. Do some research on the TOTAL amount of time to recharge. It goes up fairly fast then really slows down the last 20% or so. Lack of charging stations and time to recharge when you get to one. And then there’s the fact that these batteries lose capacity over their life span. Oh, one more thing, cost to replace is about two thirds the cost of the vehicle. Before you get all excited about getting an ALL ELECTRIC car get ALL the facts.

gwpercle
01-05-2022, 01:43 PM
The problem with batteries is ... short life and high replacement cost and weight .
Because of the weight they will eat up rubber tires
As soon as they develop a long life , light weight , cheap battery things will get moving right along .
One day they will get all the bugs worked out .... another thing they need to fix is the sound ...
my 1968 Chevelle with it's 400 HP V-8 and dual Cherry Bomb glass packs sounds a whole lot better than the blender noise ... rolling down the highway and listening to the motor rumble is so Sweet !
Gary

MUSTANG
01-05-2022, 02:28 PM
Keep in mind the "GAMES PEOPLE PLAY" when reading these articles. Tesla has extended factory delivered mileage by removing every possible element of weight - to Include NO SPARE TIRE, Fiber Board covers over what would normally be the Spare Tire well, and even the Hood on the Car - Dealer Rep showed how the ONLY ACCEPTABLE CLOSING METHODOLOGY for the FRUNK (Front Trunk. Yes, Frunk, is a an official Tesla word) is to place both palms on each side of the Tesla Logo and GENTLY PUSH DOWN - any other closure methodology has high probability of denting the hood as it's made of exceptionally thin aluminum (Thin Beer Can).

Just saying; there is a heck of a lot of PT BARNUM going on in these developments/sales pitches. Nothing like spending $50K to a $100K and having to treat a Vehicle like a week oldNew Born child.

Baltimoreed
01-05-2022, 02:35 PM
EV is a joke with todays battery tech. You forgot to mention how toxic and non recyclable the darn things are. We are going to poison, pollute and over populate ourselves to death. And have a nice day.

Handloader109
01-05-2022, 05:51 PM
Several real questions, What is anticipated charge time from say 20% to 80%? What is cost of these batteries compared to the std elon batteries? 20% more? 500% more?
What is the life expectancy of these batteries? 2 years? 5 years? $100k EV with a battery pack that costs $30k and lasts 5 years just ain't worth it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Big Tom
01-05-2022, 06:23 PM
... also, electricity is not free either. My wife's hybrid (Jeep Wrangler) running on electric only, at $0.13/kwh only accomplishes about 28 miles/gallon (assuming $2.60/gallon). Maybe cleaner, less impact on the environment than burning gas, but not really saving a whole lot of money compared to a normal gas operated vehicle.

poppy42
01-05-2022, 06:50 PM
Gotta love the loony left, or not! Cheaper, cleaner? Ya think at least one of those idiots would look in were and how electricity is made! What it takes to make those batteries! The cost of those batteries! What happens to those toxic chemicals when they have to be scrapped! And oh yeah the raw materials and were they come from! First off I might be able to afford one, if I lived another 40 or 50 years, and lived in a cave, wore no clothes, didn’t eat, etc.... Don’t even get me started on things like The plans Chrysler motors had for a turbine that was scrapped back in the 50s! Ran on just about anything, including a percentage of h2o, with exhaust that was about clean as a baby’s breath! The fact that china is about the biggest contributor to pollution in the world! Would be nice if the even attempted to solve some of these issues before they tried to cram this garbage down our throats, but noooooo! No thank you! Biden and his cronies can park there Electric cars someplace where the sun does not shine on them!!!!

LETS GO BRANDON!!!

Lets go

Outer Rondacker
01-05-2022, 07:11 PM
Ford makes a EV F150. If you are charging it and the power goes out it will power up the house. This is great. Plug the truck in get a charge while eating dinner on the deck and come back in the house like nothing is wrong. Not realizing the power has gone out. Wake in the morning to find the truck was powering the house and you cannot go to work since the battery is dead. Brillant; I wonder how long before this will be an expectable for of absence from work?

NSB
01-05-2022, 08:30 PM
Ford makes a EV F150. If you are charging it and the power goes out it will power up the house. This is great. Plug the truck in get a charge while eating dinner on the deck and come back in the house like nothing is wrong. Not realizing the power has gone out. Wake in the morning to find the truck was powering the house and you cannot go to work since the battery is dead. Brillant; I wonder how long before this will be an expectable for of absence from work?
I think I’ll stick with my portable generator. Might just make a bit more sense than using a truck till the power comes back on. Of course I’ll lose the excuse to stay home the next day.

Thundarstick
01-05-2022, 09:26 PM
We're just not there yet, but, when they are able to do 400 miles optimal and 200 suboptimal miles with a 10 min full recharge time, and long battery life, they will be viable for nearly everyone. For now, hybrid cars are where it's at. Don't forget all the new nuclear power plants that will need to be built along with the infrastructure!

poppy42
01-05-2022, 09:38 PM
We're just not there yet, but, when they are able to do 400 miles optimal and 200 suboptimal miles with a 10 min full recharge time, and long battery life, they will be viable for nearly everyone. For now, hybrid cars are where it's at. Don't forget all the new nuclear power plants that will need to be built along with the infrastructure!

You just touched on part of it! We are decades away! You can’t just flip a switch( pardon the pun) Lets not forget that not to many years ago hydrogen cells were supposed to be the answer. How’d that work out?

10x
01-07-2022, 08:31 AM

You had better get the proper switch for the mains coming from the grid into the house.
Power company workers do not like working on live powerlines that are supposed to be shut off.
Without that switch you just may power up the neighborhood and kill your battery faster

Also if the electricity comes from coal fired, or gas fired generators - the electricity used to charge these batteries has a Carbon Footprint® Physics tells us that the transition of energy from carbon to electricity is not efficient and the carbon footprint of electric cars should be measured in the volume / Weight of carbon used to produce the electricity to travel 100 km.

10x
01-07-2022, 08:35 AM
It is currently -38C outside right now. Lithium ion batteries are not that efficient in the cold.
My friend has a hybrid with a battery that will not start the car below -35C - let alone give enough power to move it off the driveway.
If battery vehicles were energy efficient and less expensive per kilometer traveled , every transport truck in America would be battery powered So would every piece of industrial equipment. And every farm tractor

Thumbcocker
01-07-2022, 08:41 AM
Mercedes just announced a concept car prototype that they are claiming 600 miles per charge. We will see.

Froogal
01-07-2022, 10:32 AM
Mercedes just announced a concept car prototype that they are claiming 600 miles per charge. We will see.

Similar to the EPA estimated fuel mileage figures. Take it with a few grains of salt. Your actual miles per gallon will always be considerably less.

fixit
01-07-2022, 11:58 AM
The reality of EVs is the we are looking at a decending benefit scenario. First and foremost, all the claims about electric cars completely ignore the realities of thermodynamics; all energy production/usage devices go from efficiency to inefficiency... They break down, and eventually cease to function! There is, and cannot be a 100% efficient device.... It just cannot happen..... But, when you listen to the greenies, they paint a rainbow and unicorn fart world where nothing is affecting the environment. Everything is a tradeoff, and perfection doesn't exist this side of heaven!

kevin c
01-07-2022, 02:45 PM
“…up and down the mitten (state)…”: so, highway driving?

“…55 mph average…” on the highway?

Seems like the test parameters were optimized for mileage. As commented above, real life driving, YMMV, probably by a lot less.

Outer Rondacker
01-07-2022, 03:05 PM
I found one and only benefit of an EV but its not for everyone. My friend works for a company that has loads of free plug-in stations. He was thinking on getting an EV since he would not have to pay for charging (fuel). He drives 2 1/2 to 3 hours a day to and from work. Only issue he is having is with the price of the new EV. He honestly had no interest in charging it from home.

snowwolfe
01-09-2022, 10:48 AM
EV's make sense for plenty of people. I'll use my son as an example. He commutes about 25 miles each way to work. He can charge for free while at work. He also has a ICE SUV for other uses. This means he doesnt have to buy gas, no additional electric bill, no oil changes, etc. Once the price of the EV's drop it would make perfect sense for him. Can leave work with a fully charged car every shift and enjoy it while he isnt at work.
They are a great choice for people like him, and there are millions like him in todays work force.
No, they dont make sense if you only own one vehicle. But the vast majority of households own two or more.
And spare me the debate about it will not tow 10,000 pounds. Thats why most of us own trucks.

MUSTANG
01-09-2022, 11:52 AM
Used to work at a Dept of Energy facility. There were "Reserved" parking spots for "High MPG Cars". Then the signs were changed to "Reserved" parking for "Hybrid Cars". Then the signs were changed to "Reserved" parking for "Hydrogen Cars" (never saw one nor saw one parked there). Then they were changed to "Reserved" for LNG Cars (Never saw one of those either). Then they were "Reserved" parking for "Electric Vehicle Cars".

Just saying - all those inducements of free charging for EV's might be as TRANSATORY as government/Fed Reserve claims of disappearing inflation. It will be a real bite in the wallet to buy that expensive EV then have the "FREE" juice turned off that induced one to buy the EV.

Daekar
01-10-2022, 10:31 AM
I love reading the responses to these threads because they are an excellent illustration of how people look at the same things differently depending on what their needs are.

If you live in the city in a mild climate and your cargo needs are no more than middling, a modern EV already makes financial sense when your existing vehicle reaches end of life, especially if your current vehicle is a gas guzzler like your average SUV or crossover.

If you're living in the country, especially away from the coasts, and you need something for constant towing, the new EV trucks are probably not for you yet, especially if it gets pretty cold where you are.

If you live where I do, in the Appalachian Mountains, you drive a car, and your commute is less than 50 miles per day, an EV makes sense too... but only when your current car bites the dust. My little diesel requires almost zero maintenance and gets 40 mpg on a very bad tank - usually closer to 45mpg. Under no circumstances does it make sense for me to replace my car with an EV until it is no longer practical to maintain it.

To be sure, there are plenty of issues with the current EV market. The thing is, those issues are going to be addressed. The battery tech is going to get better, cheaper, faster, and greener. The grid, as dysfunctional is it is, will change to accommodate the requirements of EVs. It might not happen tomorrow or even next year... Full transformation to accommodate the new paradigm will take time, and the last fossil fuel generator will be decommissioned decades from now regardless of how much the raving environmentalists scream about it in the meantime. For better or worse, incalculable billions of dollars are being directed to solving these problems and one way or another they will be solved. A good thing too, because there aren't any dead dinosaurs to burn on Mars or anywhere else. Anthropogenic climate change may or may not be a real thing, but there is no doubt we need to master these technologies if we ever want to make sure all of our eggs are no longer in a single planetary basket.