PDA

View Full Version : Gas Checks

Jeffreytooker
01-09-2006, 08:54 PM
Hello All. I have started this thread becasuse I thought I heard mention somewhere in Cast Boolits that someone was making a gascheck with a longer wall on it. This would be intresting. It should be a stronger seal. This might be something to discuss.

Jeffrey

felix
01-09-2006, 09:19 PM
Larry does indeed make a longer wall check, but presently only for a 50 cal. ... felix

Jeffreytooker
01-09-2006, 10:20 PM
Larry does indeed make a longer wall check, but presently only for a 50 cal. ... felix

Felix:

With proper boolit fit would a longer walled gas check make a better seal? It would seem so to me. I guess we run into the age old question: Did the gas cut the lube and it failed or did the lube just run out before it hit the end of the barrel? Considering a thing called "Lube Purging" I vote for the gas caused it to fail.

Jeffrey

felix
01-09-2006, 10:36 PM
Jeffery, a longer check probably won't help much in gas seal, but a softer one will in that it will obturate easier. However, a longer check will allow more velocity, or at least a better grip on the lands for more accuracy at lower velocities. Just how much is debatable because we are talking of doubling the check length only. Doubling nothing is still nothing in that the checks presently are extremely short and really do the job as initially intended by the "inventor". The new land configuration talked about for Ric's 358 would be a much better answer in controlling lube purging. It should be non existant for all practical purposes. ... felix

Jeffreytooker
01-09-2006, 11:04 PM
The new land configuration talked about for Ric's 358 would be a much better answer in controlling lube purging. It should be non existant for all practical purposes. ... felix[/QUOTE]

Felix:

Please explain new land configuration. I am late to this group.

Thank you.

Jeffrey

felix
01-09-2006, 11:09 PM
Jeffery, a typical land configuration is essentially a square wave, as opposed to a sine wave. Something in between would be what we are talking about, but more exactly we are talking about a sine wave with the tops chopped off, but with straight sides rather than sides that curve. ... felix

Jeffreytooker
01-09-2006, 11:31 PM
we are talking about a sine wave with the tops chopped off, but with straight sides rather than sides that curve. ... felix[/QUOTE]

OK Felix:

A very truncated triangle. Technically the machine work would seem to be achievable. I would suppose the biggest obstacle would be "TRADITION". Do you have any idea what the cost benefit ratio might be. It might be cost effective for High Dollar shooters. I have found that CB shooters groups are not packed with High Dollar shooters like the High Power groups.

Has any experimenting been done along this line by the Military or Wildcatters, (not the oilpatch type).

Keep well.

Jeffrey