PDA

View Full Version : Processed the last of the scrap type metal cache I found.

Soundguy
01-04-2022, 10:10 PM
A few months back I posted about finding a metal recycler that had a bin full of mixed type metal ( lino/mono mostly ).
I bought 5 5g buckets and ended up with 493# ingots.
A couple weeks ago the guy working there let me know the bin was going away and to get what I wanted. I zoomed over and got 4.5 more 5g buckets and that basically cleaned the bin to the rusty dusty bottom.
I just finished smelting ingots last night.. Got another 410 #. I'm set for type metal alloy sweetener for the foreseeable future. Glad to be finished processing it.

lightman
01-05-2022, 12:30 AM
Thats a good score. It was nice of the guy to let you know.

Soundguy
01-05-2022, 10:09 AM
Yup.. and my final cost per pound was about 1.76$ on this batch. The previous ( 493# ) batch came out similar.. but I bought propane.. but had a lower waste rate since it was clean lino and mono on the top of the pile. the lower portion of the pile was a bit dirty.

All in all I'm super happy.

GregLaROCHE
01-05-2022, 01:05 PM
It’s a good feeling when I get all mine melted down into ingots, but doesn’t take long until I’m accumulating more to be melted.

Winger Ed.
01-05-2022, 01:27 PM
Good score.
As time goes on, ones like yours get fewer, more expensive, and farther in between.

Soundguy
01-05-2022, 02:33 PM
Yup..and finding such a large cache of type metal in this town was a miracle. Around here wheel weights and such were never easy to find. So finding a bin with 50 gallons worth of type metal was fantastic.