PDA

View Full Version : 44 wc

mooman76
01-17-2009, 03:03 PM
I'm sure someone has tried this or somthing similar. I have been having a hankering for a 44 WC mould ever since I saw the bullet and I know I won't get it out of my head until I satisfy the nitch. Problem is only one company that I know of makes on and I don't want to spend that much money to satisfy an urge that probubly once satisfied, I will move one to something else.
Anyway what I was wanting to do was modify a Lee 44 SWC mould that way I'm not out much. I was hoping to just do a temporary monification so I don't have to buy a replacement mould. I was thinking of filling the bottom of the cavity with something like High temp cilicone and maybe having something like an aluminum washer without the hole as a barrier to seperate the cavity halves.
My other idea was more permanent. I could carefully drill the bottom of the mould with a 1/2" drill to the shoulder of the bullet cavity and secure a piece of 1/2" aluminum rod in there to plug the cavity. Thoughts?

Kuato
01-17-2009, 03:12 PM
Why not just try the boolit exchange? I got some help there with some Devastators. I'm sure someone on the board would send a few 44wc your way to try out..

mooman76
01-17-2009, 05:52 PM
I thought of that but to me it's not the same as having and someone already sent me some. Guess I'm just looking for another winter project. Thanks!

EDK
01-17-2009, 08:28 PM
Check out Blammer's group buy (now closed) for the 250 grain full wadcutter. You can contact the supplier and get added for a 2, 3 or 4 cavity mould.

You can try www.cliffsgunsmithing for odd ball moulds. I steered someone there for a LEE 208 grain full wad cutter awhile back. They had them in 2 0r 6 cavity IIRC.

I commented on a thread to Garandsrus about missing his group buy and he put me on the list for extras after the other moulds were delivered and I got one. Same deal from GLL on MY 200 grain 44 wadcutter group buy mould. Thank you to both gentlemen! It doesn't hurt to ask...you might get what you want.

Put a WANT TO BUY in the classifieds here (and other places) and wait for a response. You won't get burned by the guys here in my experience so far.

Watch ebay...more moulds there than anywhere else I've found so far and cheaper! Look over the product AND the seller's feed back.....BUYER BEWARE should be your motto.

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

PS You will like the nice square holes in the targets. The only problem with the 200 grain full wadcutters is that they shoot low in my VAQUEROS/BISLEY VAQUEROS....and I don't want to commit guns to that boolit weight.

mooman76
01-17-2009, 08:38 PM
I almost got in on the group buy but thought no because I already had 3 GBs on order and I'm still waiting plus the fact that I can get one for about the same price from saeco who sells them but like I said I don't want to spend that much just to fill a nitch. If what I am doing don't work out maybe I will see if someone has one they want to part with.

Thanks
Mark

HeavyMetal
01-17-2009, 09:16 PM
PM sent

mr mom
01-17-2009, 09:34 PM
tell you what !!!!! i have a lee 208 gr. wad cutter mold. its a single. its been well usde.. i picked up a 6 cav. 2 years ago. i shoot alot of them in spl's and mag's... makes a nice big clean hole.....

mooman76
01-17-2009, 10:26 PM
Thanks Mr Mom but I already struck up a deal with Heavy Metal for a 2 cavity otherwise I would take you up on it!

Hardcast416taylor
01-17-2009, 11:25 PM
A friend, yes I do have a friend, asked me one day what I was shooting. I told him "trash cans"! It was the LEE 44 wc boolit. The nickname has always stuck since then "Flying Trash Cans". I load them in my 44 Charter Bull Dog. Makes a nice shooting load.:castmine: Robert