PDA

View Full Version : Sizing information for .459

Jugghead
01-04-2022, 05:10 PM
I have the NOE die 460-396-RF-AE2-2. it works great. My 45-70 has a .4595 chamber, and with the Alloy im using the mold drops between .459 and .460. if i was just going to lube and load that would be great. But i am also powder coating them. the problem or advice im looking for is. I have used LEE sizers for my other calibers. but dont see a .459 or even a .460 from LEE. I see some for SAECO but dont have there sizer/lubber yet. everyone seems to have them on backorder.

So my question is. can i just size with the SAECO without lube as i do with the LEE sizer? or is there another sizer out there like the LEE that i can use on my single stage press that would have a .459 or .460 die?

tmanbuckhunter
01-04-2022, 05:23 PM
You sure can, and you can still squeeze lube in the grooves if you'd like. Track Of The Wolf sells a custom Lee .460 sizer if that is what you'd rather have though. NOE also sells a similar push thru sizer that is a better value than Lee, and comes with bushings from .457 to .463 if your heart so desires. I have a few, including a .462 for my trapdoor springer.

Smoke4320
01-04-2022, 05:52 PM
The NOE system looks pricey at first but when you need to change sizes or calibers it becomes cheaper really quickly.
the ability to buy bushings in .001 differences for about $9.50 and them being way better finished than lee is a massive bonus.
I have 2 24 compartment plastic boxes now filled with NOE bushing to size all my PCP and powder burner calibers
Lee sizers for all that are not made and would be 3 times the price in total if they were made

Jugghead
01-04-2022, 06:06 PM
Im looking at the NOE website right now. will probably order one here in a few min. will probably get both bushing .459 ad .460 to see which one my rifle likes better

tmanbuckhunter
01-04-2022, 06:10 PM
Im looking at the NOE website right now. will probably order one here in a few min. will probably get both bushing .459 ad .460 to see which one my rifle likes better

It's definitely the way to go. Initial setup is only marginally more expensive than Lee, and then each subsequent bushing is much easier. Big savings in the long run.

charlie b
01-04-2022, 07:33 PM
Yep, best investment I made for making bullets.

Lee added a bushing setup as well, but, they missed tthe boat when they made the bushing carrier too big to fit in a std press. I guess they wanted people to buy the AP press more than sell sizing bushings.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

fredj338
01-04-2022, 07:49 PM
If powder coating, forget lubing them. When you day 0.4595 chamber, is that measured from a cast? I would coat them & shoot them as is. I prefer sizing all my bullets for uniformity during reloading, but all you would need with PC is a 0.459+ sizer from Lee.

Jugghead
01-04-2022, 08:10 PM
Yes that was measured from a cast of the chamber. i did it twice just to make sure i did it right the first time.

yobohadi
01-05-2022, 12:48 AM
I bought a .460 Lee sizing die for the APP press from Titan Reloading last week, they may still have some in stock.

megasupermagnum
01-05-2022, 01:32 AM
The Lee breech lock sizing bushings are my favorite way to go. I used to have a full spectrum of Lee classic sizing dies, but sold them all when the bushing dies came out. They really come in handy if you ever get an APP press.

The following three things are what you need. If you already have a beech lock press, you don't need the adapter. Alternatively, if you don't want to buy the custom size bushing from Lee, you can buy a .458" bushing from Titan, and hone it to .459". It is extremely easy to hone them out. Just a couple minutes with a drill and some sandpaper is all it takes.

https://www.titanreloading.com/product/lee-bl-bullet-sizer-kit/

https://leeprecision.com/bullet-szr-punch-.459.html

https://www.titanreloading.com/product/lee-1-1212-breech-lock-update-kit/

https://www.titanreloading.com/product/custom-overrun-458-bl-bullet-sizer-and-punch/