PDA

View Full Version : What has happened to Lyman?

Cosmic_Charlie
01-04-2022, 11:45 AM
They seem to be the king of out of stock these days. That is unfortunate because they are one of the big names in boolit casting items.

zarrinvz24
01-04-2022, 12:00 PM
Lyman has become a shadow of its former self. Is there something specific you are looking for?

Cosmic_Charlie
01-04-2022, 02:01 PM
Lyman has become a shadow of its former self. Is there something specific you are looking for?

Most recently a 45-70 taper crimp die.

salpal48
01-04-2022, 03:22 PM
As with most Companies, Lyman probably subs all there items out. With todays situation all Companies are out Of everything . Weather It is Loading Or anything else " OUT OF STOCK". Everything Is made someplace else and not Here. But Most of all, No companies wants employee any Longer.

zarrinvz24
01-04-2022, 04:12 PM
Most recently a 45-70 taper crimp die.

I'd recommend taking a look at the Redding taper crimp & the Lee FCD. I bought a few sets of Lyman dies about 18 months ago. The finish was so rough I felt like the QA department must've been looking the other way when they were packaged. I promptly returned them and spent the extra coin on 2 sets of Redding Dies. It was worth it. The competition dies and smoothness of the carbide inserts are a step well over and above the ones the Lyman Die contained. Buy once, cry once.

Rapier
01-04-2022, 05:33 PM
That is sad to hear. Money has become the main motivator these days…..

Smoke4320
01-04-2022, 05:35 PM
Its unfortunate but I have to agree that Redding is far superior to lymans current machining finishing

Walks
01-04-2022, 06:22 PM
Lyman has no Tech dept. Just Cust Serv people who know only the numbers on a computer screen.
Awhile ago I sent back 2 undersized molds. They sent Me 2 new molds, inspected on the same date and same people as the first 2 molds.
Customer Service could not understand the problem.
If it's not in the current catalog, they know nothing.

Cosmic_Charlie
01-05-2022, 01:06 AM
Redding only makes a "profile" crimp die for 45-70. They do not show a taper crimp.

Cosmic_Charlie
01-05-2022, 01:14 AM
Lyman has no Tech dept. Just Cust Serv people who know only the numbers on a computer screen.
Awhile ago I sent back 2 undersized molds. They sent Me 2 new molds, inspected on the same date and same people as the first 2 molds.
Customer Service could not understand the problem.
If it's not in the current catalog, they know nothing.

That is a result of corporate raiding. Acquire a company, sell off the valuable stuff and fire the people who know what their doing.

Coopaloop86
01-05-2022, 04:49 AM
No tech department hit the nail on the head! Contacted them about a defective auto dispenser that drifted several grains at a time and would not calibrate. Explained to them that I had googled the problem and seen where it was a recurring issue and had performed the fixes that are given to no avail. The lady literally repeats the list that I had given her that I had already performed to try. That did it for me.

sharps4590
01-05-2022, 08:45 AM
CH-4D makes an excellent taper crimp die. Whether they have it in stock is another question but, they do make their own products.

zarrinvz24
01-05-2022, 09:05 AM
Redding only makes a "profile" crimp die for 45-70. They do not show a taper crimp.

You are correct. You may be able to call them and see if they have one on the shelf. While custom production is about a 12 month turnaround at redding right now, they do still have quite a few 'one-off' type items on the shelf. CH-4D is much the same, except their turnaround on new orders is around 2 years.

CH-4D makes an excellent taper crimp die. Whether they have it in stock is another question but, they do make their own products.

x2. Agree 100%! Redding is my preferred manufacturer, but when I find holes in their catalog, CH-4d is my next stop. Quality of machining and tolerances is as good as Redding, with a much broader catalog. While very minor, the only complaints I have about CH-4D is their use of aluminum for lock rings - I would prefer steel. Regardless, the captive nylon lock-ball in the CH-4D lockrings are a very effective design.

ioon44
01-05-2022, 10:14 AM
I stopped buying anything Lyman after my first and last experience Lyman Customer Service, there are many other better companies to buy from that have good customer service.

Murphy
01-05-2022, 12:07 PM
I really haven't had the need for anything new in my reloading equipment in a good while now. I did order a few of NOE's expander plugs last year. I looked at Lyman M dies, but NOE's seemed the easiest route.

In regards to dies, I've always used RCBS and a few sets of Redding. Some years back I picked up a used set of Lyman 380 ACP dies, they seemed fair at the time as we were in a shortage.

I've had a Lyman 4500 lube/sizer for probably 15 years now. It does what I ask of it, no complaints from me.

Sadly, Lyman molds finally got to the point I felt it was a crap shoot buying a new one. All were undersized and when I called their customer service, the blame game would begin. They had zero interest my sending a mold back to them even for inspection.

I remember in my early years and the writers who influenced me over 40 years ago. It seemed everything they cast and loaded with was Lyman. All of my older Lyman molds are good, drop decent size bullets, etc. I'm not sure if it's the bean counters at Lyman, or a lack of knowledgeable people working for them.

Murphy

TNsailorman
01-05-2022, 02:39 PM
I split the blanket with Lyman some years ago over their lack of customer service. I just had the same thing happen to me with DeWalt. I bought a skill saw and it came without the nut to hold the blade on the shaft. I called them and spent nearly 20 minutes trying to get the lady to understand what I was talking about. She kept saying "I can't find a part like that on my screen" and she finally asked me for an address and I gave it to her. She sent me a blade instead of a nut. It seems like more and more companies are getting rid of knowledgeable staff and hiring people off the street that only know what is on their computer screen. Sad but its the world we are living in right now. james

Smoke4320
01-05-2022, 03:49 PM
TNsailorman ... hope this helps . shipping will probably be more that the bolt

https://www.fix.com/parts/circular-saw/dewalt/fix10183641/blade-bolt-648697-00/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=DeWALT%20Parts%20-%20Shopping&utm_term=4580221852885919&utm_content=DeWALT%20Circular%20Saw%20Parts

TNsailorman
01-05-2022, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the link Smoke. I just might call them. james

John Boy
01-05-2022, 09:40 PM
Lyman quality went South IMO in early 1980’s …. Both a set of gunsmith screw drivers from them that stated they were tempered steel. 2nd use with one and tip broke off. All went in the recycling when asked for replace r and was denied… never to buy from Lyman again for any of their products ….

megasupermagnum
01-06-2022, 01:22 AM
As far as I'm concerned, the only thing Lyman makes anymore is rear sights. Their flip up sights are good, and so are their aperature sights. Besides that, their reloading dies aren't good, their bullet molds aren't good, their reloading presses aren't bad, but they are nothing special, and 3x the cost they should be. Some people like their mag 25 casting pot, but for all the problems they have, it's not much more money to get a much better pot. Everything else of their name is imported junk. Actually there is one more thing, their casting ladle is actually really nice.

So with that said, pre-1980 they were a big name in casting. Today they are nothing. You will never hear anyone recommend a Lyman mold over a Accurate, NOE, Arsenal, and even Lee. I really don't care what they do now, they chose to go the way of Sears, and they will probably end up the same.

Cosmic_Charlie
01-06-2022, 01:43 PM
That is a result of corporate raiding. Acquire a company, sell off the valuable stuff and fire the people who know what their doing.

This is not the case here. Lyman was purchased by an outfit called the Leisure Group back in the 70's. So I guess they are going to run it into the ground. At a time when demand is high, they have missed a great opportunity for profits. Leisure Group also owns Sierra Bullets so they are able to do some things right.

alamogunr
01-06-2022, 02:12 PM
I wonder what the next edition of the Lyman Handbook will be like. OR, if there will be a next edition.

alamogunr
01-06-2022, 02:18 PM
Another thought. I just received the latest issue of Handloader(I'm not trying to start another"how worthless" thread) and the article by Mike Venturino indicates he has found other mold manufacturers than Lyman. He mentions both Miha(MP) and Arsenal, and praises both. Never thought I would see it.

megasupermagnum
01-06-2022, 09:55 PM
Another thought. I just received the latest issue of Handloader(I'm not trying to start another"how worthless" thread) and the article by Mike Venturino indicates he has found other mold manufacturers than Lyman. He mentions both Miha(MP) and Arsenal, and praises both. Never thought I would see it.

I enjoy Mike Venturino articles, but boy almighty is he stuck in 1979 or what. I'm still glad for his info, although it is a little old hearing about linotype and Lyman molds.

dverna
01-06-2022, 10:56 PM
As far as I'm concerned, the only thing Lyman makes anymore is rear sights. Their flip up sights are good, and so are their aperature sights. Besides that, their reloading dies aren't good, their bullet molds aren't good, their reloading presses aren't bad, but they are nothing special, and 3x the cost they should be. Some people like their mag 25 casting pot, but for all the problems they have, it's not much more money to get a much better pot. Everything else of their name is imported junk. Actually there is one more thing, their casting ladle is actually really nice.

So with that said, pre-1980 they were a big name in casting. Today they are nothing. You will never hear anyone recommend a Lyman mold over a Accurate, NOE, Arsenal, and even Lee. I really don't care what they do now, they chose to go the way of Sears, and they will probably end up the same.

Regrettably, I agree 100%. Sad really.

doghawg
01-06-2022, 11:52 PM
On the other hand....the last three Lyman bullet molds I've purchased have been pretty good. I avoid most of their other products made in a far away land but am thinking the molds are still made here.

alamogunr
01-07-2022, 01:45 AM
While going thru that latest issue of Handloader, I ran across an ad for the Lyman Reloading Handbook, 51st Edition. I guess that somewhat answers my question in a previous post. I've got the 50th so I don't think I need another so soon.

Shopdog
01-07-2022, 08:36 AM
Got a new,believe it was made 9/21... 266673 160g 6.5 mould from them....maybe middle of this past December?

Uhhh,it is flawless. Definitely top 5 and cracking top 3 in my modest collection of moulds..... say about 50-75 moulds. Ranging from H$G,NOE,Saeco,RCBS,and yes some Lee's amongst others.

Beautiful mould.... to the point of,after the initial cast of about 100.... the dropped dimensions were spot on. I sent a nice card to Lyman with congrats on hitting a homerun. With a side note to tell their machine operators deserved a pat on their backs. Maybe some motivation for them?

They're being used in a .260R, Brux HV barrel screwed on a R700. Would be called a liar if the 100yd groups were posted. Casted the second run yesterday.... of the 200+-,maybe 5 rejects? which were all on me. The 1st batch was similar in very low reject numbers.

Not making excuses for their seemingly lack of CS,or suggesting anyone change their hate... just sayin this 6.5 is a dang peach!

Petander
01-09-2022, 02:54 PM
I bought Lyman Borecam without knowing it is a cheapo chinese ancient technology toy.

I just bought a Chinese Lyman 10 lb "Big dipper" pot , it works okay for now. As does the chinese ladle.

But I don't trust any of this stuff to work tomorrow. Disposable.

I guess this is The World we created by screaming "Cheaper,cheaper!"

remshooter
01-09-2022, 09:15 PM
not exactly a taper crimp die but almost .I use the Lee factory crimp die on my 45-70 ,because i have a Miroku 1886
with short throat, so have to crimp on driving band not in crimping groove ,works great

remshooter
01-09-2022, 09:19 PM
yes i have bought a lyman mold ,melting pot and case trimmer , all three disapointing. Have moved on to other companys. melting pot did not work long ,had quility issues with mold

wv109323
01-09-2022, 09:51 PM
All companies are very hesitant to spend capital money for machine equipment that will set idle when the market returns to normal. Stock holders demand ,the fewest number of employees, all existing equipment to be used 100% of the time. Stock holders want low inventories of raw materials and low inventories of manufactured goods and minimal costs of quality control.
Add Covid and a lack of machinists and you have the mess that is present in America.
The maximum profitability for a manufacturer is to have the product sold before you can manufacture it.

flatnose
01-16-2022, 08:32 PM
Lyman is and will follow the rest. America is in trouble. We have very little manufacturing. If we had there would be no one to hire anyway. Only small private companies can do anything at all. Look what the idiots did to Marlin. I will never forgive them for that. Winchesters in Japan!! Who would have ever thought? They are really good and made on Japanese machine tools. So Lyman is just following the rest. I am sad for our country. We are just a shell of what we were. I have no idea what we will do when history repeats itself and it always does.

oley55
01-22-2022, 07:25 PM
Lyman is and will follow the rest. America is in trouble. We have very little manufacturing. If we had there would be no one to hire anyway. Only small private companies can do anything at all. Look what the idiots did to Marlin. I will never forgive them for that. Winchesters in Japan!! Who would have ever thought? They are really good and made on Japanese machine tools. So Lyman is just following the rest. I am sad for our country. We are just a shell of what we were. I have no idea what we will do when history repeats itself and it always does.

yea, pretty hard to imagine us being able to save the world again.

jordanka16
01-22-2022, 08:43 PM
I don't buy any Lyman molds, every newish mold I've bought from them has had some sort of flaw. First place I look for a mold these days is MP, if Miha makes it I buy from him. Second is Accurate, since I can always draw what I want in CAD if he doesnt offer it. Arsenal makes good molds too, probably other boutique makers I havent heard of yet.

MattOrgan
02-03-2022, 10:32 PM
Last two molds from Lyman I purchased were the 226673 6.5 double cavity and it’s gorgeous in every way casting two round uniform bullets that are .226”+ a bit in diameter in my alloy. Couldn’t ask for a better mold. My other new Lyman is a 401654 150 grain truncated cone style for the .40S&W and 10mm Auto. I also use it in my .38/40s. Casts two perfect bullets in my alloy at .401” allow me to convention lube in my .401 sizer or tumble lube. In the last year I’ve also purchased a couple of Lyman bullet sizing dies that size to the size listed. I have 3 of their 1500 electronic scales that are accurate, reliable and easy to use because they are not tied to a cord. I’ve had good if grumpy customer service when purchasing parts to rebuild a #55 powder measure and missing parts in a package containing a tang sight and again when I lost a sight screw. I happily paid for the powder measure parts, the screws were shipped for free. I just purchased the extreme electric trimmer that uses the bushings. I’ve only trimmed a couple thousand cases but so far it’s fast and accurate. A good value so far. I don’t doubt there have been issues with Lyman but my experience has been excellent. Excellence service seems to be the rule in the shooting sports. In the last few years I’ve had issues over a defective Burris scope. Took 6 weeks but finally talked to the right guy and was very happy with the outcome. Companies seem to better with email communications for inquiries. I think the email gets to the right person for review and handling. Every company I know has in stock issues because of the unpresidented demand for all shooting items, not just Lyman. I’ve been surprised that it finally hit the casting world. Scrap lead is not at give away prices for the first time in my life. Again I don’t doubt there are issues with Lyman customer service and defective tools/parts, I’ve purchased a lot of new and used Lyman products, they are an excellent company. I have many Ideal/Lyman molds that all provide outstanding results.

Mal Paso
02-04-2022, 11:14 AM
Casts two perfect bullets in my alloy at .401” allow me to convention lube in my .401 sizer or tumble lube.

That is the problem with Lyman molds if you lube conventionally. They should drop bullets slightly oversize to cover small variations in casting.

JohnH
02-04-2022, 11:40 AM
I enjoy Mike Venturino articles, but boy almighty is he stuck in 1979 or what. I'm still glad for his info, although it is a little old hearing about linotype and Lyman molds.

Yeah, he of all people should know that linotype is not the be all end all of bullet alloy, that in fact for day in and day out shooting, most casters are still using COWW or some simple modification of that alloy be it 1 or 2% added tin or cut 50-50 with lead. To hear him tell it, bullets from linotype is the only thing that will survive a trip up a feed ramp. I haven't used straight linotype for anything in over 20 years and not because I couldn't find it, but because I don't need it.

curiousgeorge
02-04-2022, 12:42 PM
I started a thread about a month ago about my frustrating experience with the current Lyman customer service. Talked to 2 different people trying to buy the case/mouth expander button on a 45 ACP 3 die set. I had purchased a set made in 1986 from guy who had bought them new but just had them sitting on his bench and never used. Discovered the factory had put a 45 Colt mouth expander button in them which bulged the body of the ACP case before the mouth belled. Neither of the 2 men I spoke to knew anything about the dies, had no idea what I wanted, and kept telling me that the 'schematics' didn't show it. The first sent me a decapping rod and the second finally agreed to sell the complete stem with button from a 45 ACP "M" die, but insisted that nothing like that would have come in pistol dies.

I miss Karen Griffin.

mac60
02-04-2022, 08:20 PM
Yeah, he of all people should know that linotype is not the be all end all of bullet alloy, that in fact for day in and day out shooting, most casters are still using COWW or some simple modification of that alloy be it 1 or 2% added tin or cut 50-50 with lead. To hear him tell it, bullets from linotype is the only thing that will survive a trip up a feed ramp. I haven't used straight linotype for anything in over 20 years and not because I couldn't find it, but because I don't need it.

I seem to remember him mentioning one reason he uses it is because he has an enormous amount of it.

OKMike
02-12-2022, 06:05 PM
Supply chain issues are hitting everyone, that could be part of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

farmbif
02-12-2022, 06:17 PM
the only problem ive had with lyman products over the past 4 decades or so were problems ive caused myself
like jamming a resizing die into a berdan primed shell or the rust on my trimmers from putting them where should not have been. I have 3 model 55's they all still work like new. ive always treasured the die sets especially the old 4 pc sets that came in black box for handgun calibers.
now I see they have stainless steel die sets that they are real proud of. but its a good thing that they continue to expand product line with very high quality stuff.

Bird
02-12-2022, 08:37 PM
Lyman has gone in the same direction as many companies. Poor quality control, cheap materials and maximum profit. I last spoke with them a few years back regarding a receiver sight for a model 71 Winchester. I asked them why they make them out of aluminum instead of steel, their answer was people wanted cheap products made of aluminum instead of steel. They could not point me to any survey they have done on the topic. For an extra 10 to 20 bucks, I would rather have a quality blued steel, if they know what quality is anymore.
I am getting fed up with the garbage that is being sold, to the point I will go without. Lyman has not had a dime out of me in 10 years, and their products are not in my future.

Larry Gibson
02-13-2022, 09:41 AM
Unfortunately, it appears most all Lyman products are made in China these days. Even the mould blocks are made in China. Not sure if the cavities are cut there though(?). Seems no one at Lyman has any institutional knowledge anymore nor know or have little if any experience with or about the nature of use of their products

farmbif
02-13-2022, 10:17 AM
I had no idea that Lyman moved to china. I know they sell the apex10, created by mark 7 which manufactured in Florida or at least they used to.
I make an effort to try an avoid supporting Chinese made stuff. I dont buy Russian stuff either, had to duck under my desk at school 1 too many times.