PDA

View Full Version : Do you stand or sit while casting?

Jacksgrampa
01-02-2022, 08:14 PM
I have a high enough table to stand while casting. If anything unwanted happens I can just back away instead of getting it on my lap. Just wondering what others do.

Finster101
01-02-2022, 08:17 PM
I prefer to stand.

Jlwilliams
01-02-2022, 08:23 PM
I stand for the same reason. When working with hot metal unexpected things can happen. The ability to move without having to get up THEN move is important.

armoredman
01-02-2022, 08:29 PM
When I had it set up at the old house, I was sitting on my crappy homemade stool, with legs going to sleep. Now, everything is in flux, but if I get this new reloading room setup the way it looks like, I will probably have a standing bench on the carport.

georgerkahn
01-02-2022, 08:36 PM
I have a high enough table to stand while casting. If anything unwanted happens I can just back away instead of getting it on my lap. Just wondering what others do.

For me it always has been sitting. I have a bench made just for my casting, and it affords what I consider a fair safety margin. In the past several years a knee smash fifty years back (Cement guide post: 1; Me off motorcycle: 0) has come back to haunt me as stainless steel wires put in where kneecap used to be have snapped... So, at least for the past couple of years, standing has not been an option.
geo

Budzilla 19
01-02-2022, 08:40 PM
Sit, always. Stand to remelt wheel weights and scrap lead.

toallmy
01-02-2022, 08:43 PM
I'm definitely going to sit down any chance I get to do anything including casting . I have stood most of my life while working and these legs have a lot of miles on them .
Be safe

upnorthwis
01-02-2022, 08:47 PM
My right knee had a snowmobile incident many years ago. Sitting is my only option.

rmark
01-02-2022, 08:52 PM
I set up to cast on top of the table saw, I sit on a stool, no seat back to get in the way if I need to move out of the way fast.

pworley1
01-02-2022, 09:01 PM
I have been standing to cast for over fifty years. As long as my legs hold out I will keep standing.

Baltimoreed
01-02-2022, 09:06 PM
Stand.

Outer Rondacker
01-02-2022, 09:16 PM
If I sit for 20 mins a day, it's to have dinner with the wife. So, standing it is.

RKJ
01-02-2022, 09:31 PM
I sit most times but have been doing some standing here lately.

Walks
01-02-2022, 09:37 PM
Sitting for 60yrs.
Cast My first bullets over a Coleman stove, sitting on an old milking stool. The equipment may have improved, but I'm still sitting on My toukas.

Rickf1985
01-02-2022, 09:45 PM
I start out sitting but always find myself standing, and I pay the price for it at the end of the day. My back is totally gone and I have severe degenerative disc disease. So if I stand for more than 20 minutes or so I am in a world of hurt. But once I get in the zone of reloading I will stand there for 4-5 hours.

GhostHawk
01-02-2022, 09:48 PM
I sit on a computer chair, casting table is low enough I can brace my right elbow on my knee and still have the mold over the pot.

Really helps on those longer casting sessions. I do wear leather slippers to cover my toes when casting.

45DUDE
01-02-2022, 09:49 PM
Now you know.

dannyd
01-02-2022, 09:51 PM
The first 25 years I would stand; the last 7 years I sit because if I stood that long I would be in a world of hurt. Something else I do is put my pot on a timer in case I have a heart attack while casting.

Getting old is not for sissies. ;)

dverna
01-02-2022, 09:52 PM
Sit.

bubbau
01-02-2022, 09:58 PM
I prefer to sit.

tinsnips
01-02-2022, 10:07 PM
Sit my knees are getting old.

imashooter2
01-02-2022, 10:18 PM
I stood for years. Would like to stand now, but the arthritis demands I sit.

I use a tall wooden stool. No back means I have some ability to move if something happens. Not the same though.

TMB
01-02-2022, 10:34 PM
Stand

swamp
01-02-2022, 10:36 PM
I usually sit for bottom pour casting and stand when ladle casting.
swamp

Hossfly
01-02-2022, 10:43 PM
I sit in a rolling chair.

charlie b
01-02-2022, 11:15 PM
Sit. Even when I was younger. Wear cotton long pants and shoes. Usually long sleeve shirt as well. Glasses.

Now days I couldn't stand if I wanted too. A few min and my back will give out.

Ickisrulz
01-02-2022, 11:20 PM

I stand for the same reason...and I am more comfortable doing so.

BNE
01-02-2022, 11:29 PM
Interesting thread. I have always stood. I tend to move side to side as I pour, then knock off sprues to the left, then to the left one more time to dump bullets on the towel. Then step back and start over. I probably only step about a foot back and forth.

I'm glad to hear that many of you sit, I am old enough to know that I may not always be able to stand.

BNE

15meter
01-03-2022, 12:08 AM
For casting, it is standing. Two reasons, my pot is on a high riser sitting on a high bench. It's a bottom pour RCBS with the spout almost to chest level. the top is almost at eye level with a hood down within 4" of the top of the pot.

It keeps the fumes almost above me and going up the hood which has a fan pulling air up over the pot continuously.

And if the tinsel fairy visits, the vast majority, if not all will be above me and hopefully captured by the hood over the pot.

Reloading is usually sitting, unless it is case forming that requires a little more body english than the standard reloading operations require.

GregLaROCHE
01-03-2022, 04:48 AM
I sit because it is more comfortable. Also, it puts me at eye level with the spout and mold. I wear a heavy denim apron to protect me from the splatter when the pot is dripping. Safety glasses too. If I am melting questionable scrap for ingots, I am standing at a distance, until I am sure everything is calm.

barrabruce
01-03-2022, 05:12 AM
I started sitting on a bar stool over a table.
Then I would stand as long as I could endure then back sitting.
I had one knee replaced so I sat.
Then stood till I had enough.
Now I’m back sitting on a milk create bent over like a half closed pocket knife.
Have to organise to stand and sitting proper again.
Not sure about this getting old thing thou.

GregLaROCHE
01-03-2022, 06:23 AM
I started sitting on a bar stool over a table.
Then I would stand as long as I could endure then back sitting.p
I had one knee replaced so I sat.
Then stood till I had enough.
Now I’m back sitting on a milk create bent over like a half closed pocket knife.
Have to organise to stand and sitting proper again.
Not sure about this getting old thing thou.

Have you considered putting the pot on top of something so you don’t need to be so bent over?

sharps4590
01-03-2022, 08:55 AM
Yes. If I'm hand dipping, I stand. If bottom pouring, I sit.

dale2242
01-03-2022, 09:03 AM
My back tells me to sit.
I have no other choice .
It works fine for me.

ioon44
01-03-2022, 09:12 AM
I always stand wile casting, like to stay mobile.

brass410
01-03-2022, 09:32 AM
I sit due to years of abuse to my knees. My floor is glass smooth, my office chair has better wheel bearings than my truck, I can just scoot back from spills, and mishaps are adverted by my leather apron and appropriate foot wear.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-03-2022, 09:36 AM
Sit ...cuz I got bad knees

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?84391-Do-you-sit-or-stand

Ithaca Gunner
01-03-2022, 10:11 AM
I have bad knees and hips, but I stand.

lightman
01-03-2022, 10:21 AM
I sit on a stool. So do the 2 guys that I often cast with.

JSnover
01-03-2022, 10:34 AM
Years ago it was drilled into my head to keep the floor in my workspace as clear as possible, plus I seem to be mildly claustrophobic (from working in a lot of confined spaces, probably) and a chair or stool in the area just takes up too much space.
My knees and hips are telling me to get over it.

35 Rem
01-03-2022, 10:36 AM
I did all my casting years ago while in college sitting at my desk in the dorm room. Now it feels odd and uncomfortable to sit while casting so I have done all my casting while standing for years. The safety aspect also plays into that too as I agree that it's good to be able to quickly step back away from the table if something goes wrong.

georgerkahn
01-03-2022, 10:46 AM
Now you know.

I envy your (free) space! I already responded to this post, that I sit while casting. Here's MY casting table -- on wheel, in garage...294006

jdfoxinc
01-03-2022, 11:02 AM
Sit. Yes I have some scars.

Beagle333
01-03-2022, 12:41 PM
I sit while casting. I'm sure it's a little safer to stand, but I'm not allowed to stand still for very long. I have to keep moving. (DVT)
I do wear gloves, boots, and eye protection.

murf205
01-03-2022, 12:51 PM
Now you know.

2 air conditioners! That's cheatin'. But I bet is is comfortable. I am a stander since I got 2 total knee replacements. Best move I made in a looooong time.

Jacksgrampa
01-03-2022, 12:58 PM
Sounds like a lot of us are getting on in years. I'm 66 and have been casting for 30 years. How old is the is the youngest caster you know?

Scrounge
01-03-2022, 01:23 PM

Stand, and for the same reason. Though you don't want molten lead in your shoes, either.

Scrounge
01-03-2022, 01:25 PM
Sounds like a lot of us are getting on in years. I'm 66 and have been casting for 30 years. How old is the is the youngest caster you know?

Got a couple of nephews here, can't be much over 30, one is, IIRC, still in his 20's. And I'm about the same age you are. Been casting a bit longer. Started helping my dad pretty seriously at age 10.

Divil
01-03-2022, 02:04 PM
Sit. I cast outside on my front porch. The porch is covered, but its a rather small space and its layout is not conducive to standing casting sessions.

guzma393
01-03-2022, 02:07 PM
I've always casted sitting down. Never saw an advantage standing up while casting.

35 Rem
01-03-2022, 03:18 PM

I'm 61 but got my 1st introduction to casting in High School at my friends house. His mother was out for the evening and he invited me over to cast some 44 caliber round balls for his Remington revolver. We made them in a sauce pan on the stove. When we were done he scrubbed the pan and put it back in the cabinet and told me not to mention it to his mother. :) As soon as we both went off to college we started casting a lot using a Lee 10lb bottom pour pot. There was NOBODY we ever ran into who cast their own bullets that was even close to our age. Very few of any age to be honest but then there was no internet back then for like-minded people to locate each other.

Due to an even greater number of activities competing for a young person's time nowadays plus the perceived safety risk of working with lead I'd bet there are an even lower % of young people casting their own now than there was 40 some years ago when I started.

Chaparral66
01-03-2022, 07:17 PM
no room for a stool or chair, so stand.

Loudy13
01-04-2022, 01:14 PM
stand but now I might try the shop stool might keep the feet warmer in the winter (MN)

kevin c
01-04-2022, 01:38 PM
I stand, opting for the extra mobility. That’s for safety and access. I have stuff on the bench on either side (hot plate, k probe thermocouple and multimeter, extra ingots and molds, tools, etc.) that I need quick access to but don’t want cluttering up the area directly around the pots. A step away while standing is a lot faster than while sitting.

PhilC
01-04-2022, 02:44 PM
Sit on a swiveling hydraulic shop stool.

whisler
01-04-2022, 08:25 PM
Stand to cast, but sometimes rest by rear on a tall stool for a few minutes. Sit to reload though.

jeepyj
01-04-2022, 09:49 PM
I sit for casting. Stand for powder coating. Just got back up and running after doing some modifications around the garage. Photos from yesterday while doing test run of some 38cal

Mk42gunner
01-04-2022, 10:10 PM
I like to stand while casting, but my hip and back don't want me standing in one place for more than twenty minutes at a time. I am slowly learning how to cast while sitting, mainly on a tall stool because it is a similar height to standing.

Another problem is that I like to cast by both ladle and bottom pouring. This almost needs two different height benches, four if I go to using an office chair.

Smelting is always done standing, outside on the gravel driveway. Usually on the coldest day of the year, funny how that works out.

Robert

dannyd
01-05-2022, 12:26 AM
I like to stand while casting, but my hip and back don't want me standing in one place for more than twenty minutes at a time. I am slowly learning how to cast while sitting, mainly on a tall stool because it is a similar height to standing.

Another problem is that I like to cast by both ladle and bottom pouring. This almost needs two different height benches, four if I go to using an office chair.

Smelting is always done standing, outside on the gravel driveway. Usually on the coldest day of the year, funny how that works out.

Robert

Took me couple of years to get used to setting. Also with a stool with no back so I can move if I need to get out of the way.

tmanbuckhunter
01-05-2022, 11:06 AM
Stand, but would prefer to sit. Should always be standing when adding alloy so you can get out of dodge if something goes south.

engineer401
01-05-2022, 05:53 PM
I stand and ladle cast. It’s just more comfortable for me. What’s interesting to me is most people I know young and old stand when casting and reloading.

Midohhntr
01-06-2022, 08:34 AM
I stand. My pot is elevated on the workbench so I just have to bend slightly to pour... as others have mentioned it's easier to get out of the way in case of accidents, I feel it's safer.

tdoor4570
01-06-2022, 09:29 AM
I hang my back pockets on a bar stool to cast , my bench is just high enough so it's comfortable.

John Guedry
01-06-2022, 10:30 AM
Kind of sitting and standing. No physical limitations some I just 'gotta change positions.

Soundguy
01-06-2022, 10:47 AM
I have a long picknick style bench turned long ways.. bottom pour pot on one end.. and I set on the other.

Hanzy4200
01-07-2022, 11:42 PM
I stand. That's what my setup dictates. I'd kinda like to do it sitting............

JSnover
01-08-2022, 10:31 AM
I have a long picknick style bench turned long ways.. bottom pour pot on one end.. and I set on the other.

THAT is a good idea! With a leg on either side of the bench you can either scoot back or stand up.

Valley-Shooter
01-08-2022, 01:10 PM
For over ten years I was a standing caster. My bench was outside under my shop covered area. It was really high so I could see what I was doing.
I decided to move my casting setup to my new apartment. I have a covered deck. I decided to give sitting a try. This was the first time I have ever casted more than 1000 bullets in one sitting. I only stopped because I needed to get to work.
In the future, casting while sitting is the way to go.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

1hole
01-08-2022, 02:05 PM
I have a high enough table to stand while casting.

Ah, you're just casting! You frightened me there for a moment; saying you don't know if you should stand or sit made me first think you might be another dumm progressive politician or another dumm regressive academic, neither of whom has a lick of common sense about such apparently stressful decisions. (I think anyone confused about that should stand on their heads while pN up a telephone pole until they figure it out.)

Casters should stand, if possible, for the rapid freedom of movement if it should ever be needed. (My own back often hurts so I usually sit when casting but at least I know why I'm doing it wrong.)

dahermit
01-09-2022, 10:31 AM
I "perch". My Lee pot (not a bottom pour, I use a ladle) is set on a purpose-built low bench that allows me to "perch" on a padded round bar stool.

rintinglen
01-09-2022, 11:56 AM
I hang my back pockets on a bar stool to cast , my bench is just high enough so it's comfortable.

This best describes my method. I rest my rump on the edge of the stool to give my poor back a bit of a break and periodically change positions. I get achy if I sit or stand too long.

fiberoptik
01-09-2022, 01:06 PM
Gotta sit. 1/2 a left kneecap and multiple times breaking back & neck definitely dictate sitting 🪑. And I’m only 57.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Petander
01-09-2022, 03:10 PM
Sit.

My Pro Melt is on the floor, I sit a few inches higher.

Pavia
01-09-2022, 05:40 PM
I load from recliner using a Lee loader hand press. I only load 50-100 loads a session and I live in an apartment, so my setup is minimalistic. All charges are individually dispensed using my RCBS charge master.

Three44s
01-09-2022, 07:04 PM
It hurts to stand, but I cast in semi-short sessions while standing.

My Tinsle Fairy episodes taught me that when it visits, it does not “knock first”.

I do not recall there was ever time to move away, sitting or standing, however the amount of lead stuck on you is definitely less if standing as my lap and legs are vertical and my jeans are away from my skin to a greater degree.

As my back has been getting worse, I will have to undoubtedly rethink and retool my game plan because my desire is to cast more boolits more often in the future and that means sitting I am guessing!

Three44s

Mal Paso
01-09-2022, 07:43 PM
I built an Oak casting bench years ago with an 8 inch wide forearm rest in front that was i inch higher than the deck the pot sits on. A rail went around the sides and back to contain a pot failure. I would like to do this again sometime. Currently I park my tail on the edge of an adjustable stool with a half sheet pan under the pot.

slim1836
01-09-2022, 07:50 PM
Both, my table is bar height so I can stand or sit on a bar stool.

Slim

Jack Stanley
01-10-2022, 02:11 PM
I made a bench at the right size for sitting so bullet casting is done like that . Melting and alloying scrap is done outside in nice weather standing with a large gas furnace .

Jack

Jal5
01-10-2022, 03:17 PM
Malpaso I like that bench a lot. May have to adjust mine to copy. Thx

Mal Paso
01-10-2022, 10:10 PM
Malpaso I like that bench a lot. May have to adjust mine to copy. Thx

Here is the build. The forearm rest in front was 2" thick Oak that tapered to about 1" at the front edge.

Glwenzl
01-10-2022, 10:57 PM
I prefer to sit and stand when I do anything. All my reloading equipment is up high with tall stools that have back support and for rest. I look at the Ergonomics I in everything I do (not by choice but by necessity).

So I built my casting bench up high. And not sure if it’s because I’m so new to casting but I haven’t sit down once yet. Left feeling the pain a couple times but the joy seemed to make the pain not so bad lol

Jal5
01-11-2022, 01:26 AM
Thanks Mal. Just what I needed. Joe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Three44s
01-11-2022, 11:01 AM
Here is the build. The forearm rest in front was 2" thick Oak that tapered to about 1" at the front edge.

That is something in concept I thought would help. I had not gone as far as just what to add to a bench or table, but a physical splash or flood stop was on my mind, just not “how”.

Thanks Mal Paso

Three44s

45DUDE
01-11-2022, 11:16 AM
I envy your (free) space! I already responded to this post, that I sit while casting. Here's MY casting table -- on wheel, in garage...294006

You must work for NASA. That's a little modern for me.:Luvcastboolits:

Echo
01-11-2022, 11:23 AM
Generally sit for reloading and casting, but can stand for either. Benches are high enough, as are stools...

openbook
01-11-2022, 04:54 PM
I stand both casting and reloading, but will sit at the dining room table with my Lee hand press from time to time. I am in one of those unfortunate occupations where I sit more than enough.

Somebody
01-12-2022, 02:49 PM
I stand. I find it easier to step back and forth between the pot and the bucket/towel, rather than sit between them and make my arms do all the work.

ShooterAZ
01-12-2022, 02:59 PM
Late to the party, but I'm another one who stands while casting. I want to be able to get out of the way quickly if something happens. I also set my reloading bench up for standing, it just seems easier for me.

Txcowboy52
01-12-2022, 03:20 PM
I stand as well, for many of the same reasons others have mentioned.

bangerjim
01-12-2022, 03:34 PM
I sit in a comfortable padded glide swing under a huge shade tree just outside my loading shed with my pot securely mounted on a custom WorkMate. Perfect height. The evap cooler blowing cool air when needed in the summer. I wear a heavy welder's leather apron, just in case anything dribbles or falls out. My pan of cooling drop water, with towel, is within reach, sitting on a table at the right.

For loading I stand at my bench inside my loading shed. But I have a high shop stool at the ready I can easily park my keister on if needed!