PDA

View Full Version : Lube and gas checks and sizing, OH MY!

sniper
01-17-2009, 01:51 PM
Several dumb questions: Can't seem to find any info.

1. What is the best method of melting beeswax? "Hillbilly" double boiler...a small can inside a larger can filled with water?

2. I stick my gas checks on after lubing and then into the Lee sizer.
Nose or base first, or does it matter? It seems like either way would work, but nose first would smear any excess lead to the rear, into the lube groove, and the gap between the check and the last driving ring.

3. Using pan lube, how much heat will damage the lube? I figure, just enough to liquify the lube, and no more, but stuff do happen. Is there a point, short of a kitchen fire,:mrgreen: where you figure, "too much", chuck the old, and start all over?

4. How to eliminate "springback" from the gas checks?

Thanks

selmerfan
01-17-2009, 02:31 PM
I wondered the same thing about the beeswax, I took a chance, stuck it on the stove in a pot on low. Melted very nicely, used the same pot to mix up my lube. I don't use the Lee sizer, can't help you there, nor do I pan lube. What is this springback you speak of? I assume gas checks coming off after sizing?

JeffinNZ
01-17-2009, 03:13 PM
1) I like double boilers simply because you have a maximum temp and the process is gentle. Never direct heat. Maybe a microwave but on mid low.
2) Nose first, base first - same, same. Both have benefits. Excess lube is not a problem on nose (wipe off if you like) or above gas check.
3) Again I like gentle heat. Maybe oven set on low.
4) Anneal them. Heat them up and let them cool. Easy.

sniper
01-17-2009, 03:17 PM
What is this springback you speak of? I assume gas checks coming off after sizing?

Jeff : No, the checks stay on, at least as far as I know, but from reading Veral and others, even soft lead has some retained "memory", and will expand ever so slightly after sizing.

If I understand correctly, the same should be true of gas checks, but don't know if the small amount of "return" would even be important. Just askin'...

Who, me, confused? Noooo....

catkiller45
01-17-2009, 03:34 PM
Your checks should stay on with no problem and I always made my lube in the micro wave...Melted the bees wax and then added the olive oil and a table spoon or so of Murphys oil soap...That is about all I ever use any more...Seems to work ok-so far..For the last five

454PB
01-17-2009, 03:42 PM
To melt beeswax, I use a microwave oven. Watch it all the time it's running, and stop it every few minutes and stir it.

I always size nose first with the Lee sizers, and I size and seat the gas checks in the same motion. Use a spray lube for sizing, then tumble lube afterwards.

mooman76
01-17-2009, 05:50 PM
I bought a cheap small crockpot. Something like 1qt. They are onlt like 5 or ten dollers if you look around. I put it on low and stuck the bullets in the freezer to get cold and dipped them in the melted wax and the lube stuck and hardened instantly.

jonk
01-17-2009, 11:39 PM
What I do is take an old pan, put it in the oven at 'warm' which is enough to melt the lube but not damage it, then stand the bullets in it. Then back in the oven about 10 minutes to get the bullets warm too. When it is just starting to harden, pull the bullets out and stand on wax paper to harden, then size.

A little messy but not too bad. You do have to have the right amount of lube to cover the grooves but not go too high on the bullet.

shotman
01-18-2009, 03:49 AM
If you are useing the Lee sizer . Set you boolit with the gas check hand installed and start boolit in size die till it sticks. Then tap the ram a couple of times {like you are driving it in the die] that will set check flat and tight. Un less you are using very hard alloy or sizing down a good bit you wont need a pre lube

sniper
07-22-2009, 02:04 PM
I bought a cheap small crockpot. Something like 1qt. They are onlt like 5 or ten dollers if you look around.

Mooman;
Me wife got a small, maybe a quart, crock pot with something she bought. It only has one speed. She was going to throw it away, so I glommed onto it. So far, I have used it to make 1/2 lb. of Speed Green lube. It works great!:cool:

I loaded the beeswax, and in ~ 45 minutes, it was melted. Added the Bullshop sprue lube. All done.

Shaken, not stirred, so as not to bruise the mixture.:mrgreen:

Gotta get me some more of that Bullshop lube!