PDA

View Full Version : Mauser cocking piece question

brstevns
01-02-2022, 01:35 PM
Been doing some searching but finding different answers. Will a Swedish 94 Mauser cocking piece work on a 93 Mauser?

smithnframe
01-02-2022, 01:37 PM
Have you tried it?

racepres
01-02-2022, 01:45 PM
Looking...
Edit; Darn it... I was sure I had a Danish crown marked cocking piece... But... Cannot locate the thing...Could be someone needed it...
Try it, as said.. I would assemble and look carefully in Cocked and Uncocked position... You will know..

Texas by God
01-02-2022, 02:57 PM
Crossing parts between same model Mausers can be tricky, much less between different models of Mausers. If I had both. I'd see- but I only have a 93.
I would think that if it did work, we'd have seen it or read about it by now.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

brstevns
01-02-2022, 04:53 PM
Have you tried it?

Not yet. Can fine new 94's but not much luck with finding a good 93

405grain
01-02-2022, 05:02 PM
Just replacing the cocking piece on a '93 or '95 with a "new/old stock" surplus one, I sometimes have to lap the firing pin to the cocking piece to get it to rotate correctly. In photographs the lugs on a '96 firing pin don't quite look the same as the ones on a 93/95 firing pin, plus the shank at the rear of a 96 firing pin is longer. This doesn't mean that it won't work, it just means that they look a little different. I own some 93's, 94, & 95 Mauser's, but not a 96, so I can't tell you for sure. Here's a link to a comparison between Mauser types:
http://www.hoosiergunworks.com/catalog/mauser_reference.html

405grain
01-02-2022, 05:16 PM
"Can fine new 94's but not much luck with finding a good 93"
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/5130
https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=484&idcategory=50

Moleman-
01-02-2022, 05:40 PM
Sent a 1891 bolt to a gunsmith in 2016 to have it bent. Got excuses for a couple years and nothing since. Had another bolt body for a 1891 that was within .0005" of the original bolt for headspace so using that and 1896 shround,firing pin,cocking pice and safety the gun is back in business. The cocking piece did have to be fitted as otherwise the safety just flopped around.

Texas by God
01-02-2022, 06:02 PM
Just a thought, the 94 Brazilian is like a 93/95 and the 94 Swedish is the same as the 96/38 Swedish. The Swedish cocking piece sure makes uncocking without dry firing easy- like the knob on a Springfield (Krag or 03).

brstevns
01-02-2022, 06:09 PM
Maybe I will order a 94 cocking piece and see. May have to get a 94 firing pin to fit the cocking piece

Texas by God
01-02-2022, 06:16 PM
Are you needing a 93 cocking piece? Am I understanding right?

brstevns
01-02-2022, 08:49 PM
Are you needing a 93 cocking piece? Am I understanding right?

Yes, but finding one in good condition is another thing. But pretty sure a 94 will work

copperlake
01-02-2022, 10:50 PM
All day long a 94/96 Swedish cocking piece will fit a 93,94,95 mauser firing pin. With the caveat that sometimes a 93 cocking piece won't fit a 93 firing pin! Also, as can be seen in pic, there are differences that will require a bit of grinding to make the safety work. If you should continue replacing parts like the sear, all the Swedish NOS I've got have more height to the actual sear than what I've found with 93's even to the point of putting them with a stone in the mill when fitting them to an actual Swede. Too, getting a 94 firing pin will need a mod as they are shorter in the spring compression area because the Swede bolt is longer.

EDIT: For some reason I'm not able to upload the picture. I can find and choose but when I hit upload, nothing happens. It's not me, I still have 5MB of storage.

brstevns
01-02-2022, 11:13 PM
All day long a 94/96 Swedish cocking piece will fit a 93,94,95 mauser firing pin. With the caveat that sometimes a 93 cocking piece won't fit a 93 firing pin! Also, as can be seen in pic, there are differences that will require a bit of grinding to make the safety work. If you should continue replacing parts like the sear, all the Swedish NOS I've got have more height to the actual sear than what I've found with 93's even to the point of putting them with a stone in the mill when fitting them to an actual Swede. Too, getting a 94 firing pin will need a mod as they are shorter in the spring compression area because the Swede bolt is longer.

EDIT: For some reason I'm not able to upload the picture. I can find and choose but when I hit upload, nothing happens. It's not me, I still have 5MB of storage.

Thanks, then a 93/95 firing would be my best bet to use with the 94 cocking piece?

copperlake
01-02-2022, 11:44 PM
Thanks, then a 93/95 firing would be my best bet to use with the 94 cocking piece?

Yes. The 94 in is also longer at the pin end. This can all be fixed a lathe but why? I have fifteen 93 and four 94/96 cocking pieces. I did a run and just about all combos worked. Notice I said 'just about'? Sometimes a wire wheel on the pin lugs helps and sometimes a little needle filing... I've taken a SS bore brush in a drill and reamed the cocking piece....Another option is to search fleabay for a 93 that has good pics as to condition. Buying parts is a hit-or-miss prop!! I've been replacing just about all my 16/93/94/95's triggers and sears with new old stock Swedish stuff and 3x12mm pins I get a hundred of for $18. It's a bunch of work but on an old well-used gun, it's well worth it. The only thing 'wrong' with a two-stage trigger is they wear out, IMO.

brstevns
01-03-2022, 10:49 AM
Yes. The 94 in is also longer at the pin end. This can all be fixed a lathe but why? I have fifteen 93 and four 94/96 cocking pieces. I did a run and just about all combos worked. Notice I said 'just about'? Sometimes a wire wheel on the pin lugs helps and sometimes a little needle filing... I've taken a SS bore brush in a drill and reamed the cocking piece....Another option is to search fleabay for a 93 that has good pics as to condition. Buying parts is a hit-or-miss prop!! I've been replacing just about all my 16/93/94/95's triggers and sears with new old stock Swedish stuff and 3x12mm pins I get a hundred of for $18. It's a bunch of work but on an old well-used gun, it's well worth it. The only thing 'wrong' with a two-stage trigger is they wear out, IMO.

Thanks, now need to look for a decent 93/95 mauser firing pin.

racepres
01-03-2022, 11:19 AM
Thanks, now need to look for a decent 93/95 mauser firing pin.

Not Cheap... We have replaced broken tips, on firing pins if that is all you can locate... Using a repaired one on a couple of Mausers right now...

brstevns
01-03-2022, 12:32 PM
Not Cheap... We have replaced broken tips, on firing pins if that is all you can locate... Using a repaired one on a couple of Mausers right now...

Need complete pin, maybe put a post in the want to buy forum and see what happens

405grain
01-03-2022, 04:12 PM
It looks like all the usual surplus parts places are sold out. In the past I've had good luck finding Mauser parts with Popperts Gun Parts. Their website used to list the parts/price, but now it looks like you'll need to call or email them to find out if what you need is in stock. Their Phone # is +1 215-887-2391. The email address is: sales@poppertsgunparts.com

brstevns
01-03-2022, 04:21 PM
It looks like all the usual surplus parts places are sold out. In the past I've had good luck finding Mauser parts with Popperts Gun Parts. Their website used to list the parts/price, but now it looks like you'll need to call or email them to find out if what you need is in stock. Their Phone # is +1 215-887-2391. The email address is: sales@poppertsgunparts.com

Mark, Thanks will send them a email.

FLINTNFIRE
01-03-2022, 04:50 PM
http://www.hoosiergunworks.com/catalog/mausers.html

Shows as in stock , and reference pages with photos .

copperlake
01-03-2022, 04:54 PM
Here is the difference I was talking about. It seems Chrome is not allowing the upload function to work but Edge will.

You may also have spring issues in that not all pins have the same compression distance. If you can't assemble all the components because the spring won't cooperate, you have to file the pin flats for more relief or nip a coil off the spring. The latter is not recommended. If you do, grind the cut end flat so it doesn't cock askew.

BTW, I ran my trapline for said pin and I'm flabbergasted at what they go for these days IF you can even find one. I haven't needed one for years.

As a completely crazy idea (that I've actually done, sorta) is buy a complete Swede bolt for about what I see pins going for on fleabay and grind off the guide rib. One problem with that is you lose a bit of cartridge extraction power because of the longer bolt. On the upside, the pin fall is shortened. Of course, the whole thing will need to be requalified!

brstevns
01-03-2022, 07:18 PM
http://www.hoosiergunworks.com/catalog/mausers.html

Shows as in stock , and reference pages with photos .

Shows not in stock for 93/95 Mauser

James Wisner
01-04-2022, 12:30 AM
I currently have a Spainish 1893 action in my shop.
I pulled the bolt out and tore down the firing pin cocking piece to compare to a Swedish cocking piece.

The Swedish cocking piece would go on the 93 firing pin, and the dry fire stop on the Swedish cocking piece was in the correct location.

The problem that arose is the cocking cam on the two cocking pieces are not the same, the Swedish is shallower which then stops the firing pin from protruding the correct amount.

So back to the OP question, can a Swedish cocking piece be put onto a 1893.

Yes BUT the cocking cam on the Swedish part will have to be recut slightly to allow the firing pin to protrude the correct amount.

JW

copperlake
01-04-2022, 02:12 AM
I currently have a Spainish 1893 action in my shop.
I pulled the bolt out and tore down the firing pin cocking piece to compare to a Swedish cocking piece.

The Swedish cocking piece would go on the 93 firing pin, and the dry fire stop on the Swedish cocking piece was in the correct location.

The problem that arose is the cocking cam on the two cocking pieces are not the same, the Swedish is shallower which then stops the firing pin from protruding the correct amount.

So back to the OP question, can a Swedish cocking piece be put onto a 1893.

Yes BUT the cocking cam on the Swedish part will have to be recut slightly to allow the firing pin to protrude the correct amount.

JW

James, after reading your post I went out to the shop and fumbled around. You are absolutely correct - the pin protrusion is too shallow with that assembly. Excellent read. I should have understood that with the pic a showed. A 94/96 pin could be made to work with cutting down or the 93 pin extended but both cases seem hardly worth the effort. Thank you, you've added to my amateur smithing knowledge.