PDA

View Full Version : Pitzer

avogunner
01-02-2022, 09:14 AM
I carved out a bit of time during my Christmas vacation to get some casting done. I really like the Lee 6 cavity molds and the boolits just rain out of my 452-200-SWC mold so I had a big pile done pretty quick. Conventional lube/sizing can be pretty tedious but using my Pitzer takes the drudgery out of it.

For those unfamiliar, it's similar to a Star as it's a "pass-through" sizer but as you can see, this one is horizontal. It's long out of production but it does an absolutely fantastic job. The lube plunger is spring loaded so it only needs a turn every dozen or so boolits. There's a small hole drilled near the lube tube where a soldering iron is used for heat and it does ok but I'd really need to fabricate a heater base.
Anyway, just wanted to share
Happy New Year and..
Semper Fi

Mal Paso
01-04-2022, 12:35 PM
That's Cool! Thanks for sharing!

gwpercle
01-06-2022, 05:36 PM
Looks a lot like the nut cracker my Dad made ... horozontal action ... COOL !
Thanks for posting ...I had never heard of Pitzer
Gary

elk hunter
01-07-2022, 11:15 AM
Is there a patent number on it? If so a patent drawing should make - how it works - understandable.

lightman
01-08-2022, 05:08 PM
Thats interesting! I've never seen one of those.

avogunner
01-09-2022, 09:29 AM
Is there a patent number on it? If so a patent drawing should make - how it works - understandable.

The product plate wasn't on the sizer when I bought it but I do have the instructions (scanned & saved in .pdf format) if anyone is interested. Send a PM with your email address and I'll send it out.
Semper Fi

roysha
01-09-2022, 02:04 PM
These were sold by Brownells years ago. I remember seeing them in the 80s catalogs and really wanting one. However, the money was just not available, so I made do with my Lyman 45. When I was finally able to afford one, they were not to be found. It seems the units were made by a small family business and when the patriarch went to the big reloading bench in the sky, everything pretty much went along with him, so to speak.
I spent YEARS posting a "want to buy" on a half dozen sites with no joy. One day on another "tour" of the sites I received a response form a fellow that had a new one that he had purchased directedly from the folks that made them, many years before. I told him to name his price and tell me where to send the funds, because it was mine come hell or high water.
When I got it, it was new in the box with one die. Oh, he did treat me right. Sold it to me for what he paid for it.
Indeed, it is like the Star except that it is horizontal rather than vertical. The only downside is the fact that the die has a "shelf" that the bullet is laid on which makes the die a bit more complicated to make. As near as I can tell, the unit was designed to push nose first so the need for an ogive/diameter specific nose punch, was non-existent, which in turn sort of negated the "shelf" issue.
I believe the fellow here on CastBoolits that makes the Star dies, also will make the dies for the Pitzer.